Author Topic: Ergo-clear vs zealios 65g/78g  (Read 19445 times)

Offline snarfarlarkus

Ergo-clear vs zealios 65g/78g
« on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 05:06:11 »
Just wanted to know which keyswitch is most preferred by you guys. About to get a new keyboard so just deciding which one to get. They will be both be lubed. Thanks for any info!

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: Ergo-clear vs zealios 65g/78g
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 05:11:26 »
it all depends on how and what you lube them with, im starting to dislike tactile switches and started using linears.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 06:21:50 »
it all depends on how and what you lube them with, im starting to dislike tactile switches and started using linears.

136141-0

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  :))
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 07:30:27 »

(Attachment Link)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  :))

:D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 09:56:53 »
I actually had a conversation with Zeal about this in which resulted in me buying a sample pack haha

I currently run vintage ergo clears with 62g Korean gold springs. To save myself from typing too much

A: Ergo Clears mentioned above
B: New MX Clear stem with 62g Korean spring
C: Zealio 62
D: Zealio 65
E: Zealio 67

Based on my experiences,

In terms of tactility (tactile to least tactile)

D > E, B > C > A

In terms of smoothness (smooth to less smooth)

A, C , D, E > B

In terms of weight (light to heavy)

A > C > B, D > E

Is the 78g the linear one? It felt good, just as smooth as 80s vintage blacks but not as light. I'd compare it more to 90s vintage blacks or so.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 10:01:36 by merlin64 »

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:48:13 »
Personally I prefer Zealios, the stem is slightly different, in a positive way and the stock springs are fantastic. I tried switching the zealio spring for some other springs from various gateron/cherry/kailh switches I have and nothing felt close to as good as the stock springs. They're super smooth and feel really good.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:52:55 »
Is the 78g the linear one? It felt good, just as smooth as 80s vintage blacks but not as light. I'd compare it more to 90s vintage blacks or so.
Round 2 had 78g tactile zealios. I personally like them a lot, since I wanted a slightly lighter and smoother mx clear.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 23:40:28 »
Thanks everyone!

Would you guys go for tactility over smoothness or vice versa?

And does different lubes really make that much of a difference or is it just placebo? It'll just be some generic silicone lube

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 18:54:55 »
Has anyone compared 62g SPRiT / 65g SPRiT lubed ergos to lubed 65g Zealios? Which one would it more closely resemble?

I really like the tactility of 65g ergos but they feel heavy now after using 62g for weeks. I feel like 63.5g would be the goldilocks spring.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 19:24:17 »
Has anyone compared 62g SPRiT / 65g SPRiT lubed ergos to lubed 65g Zealios? Which one would it more closely resemble?

I really like the tactility of 65g ergos but they feel heavy now after using 62g for weeks. I feel like 63.5g would be the goldilocks spring.

I made my ergo clears with vintage Cherry clear stems with 62g gold springs inside of Gateron bottoms and clear tops, they feel heavier than my 65g Zealios, that feel too weak for my taste, I am typing on them now on a GON assembled with acrylic plate and case. I prefer the ergo clears any time, but the GON where they are installed died after some switch swapping, maybe I overheated a path of PCB circuit; then, I am waiting for the upcoming round 1 of the 62 to move my ergos over it, it will rock. I hope the information helps.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:07:12 »

I made my ergo clears with vintage Cherry clear stems with 62g gold springs inside of Gateron bottoms and clear tops, they feel heavier than my 65g Zealios, that feel too weak for my taste, I am typing on them now on a GON assembled with acrylic plate and case. I prefer the ergo clears any time, but the GON where they are installed died after some switch swapping, maybe I overheated a path of PCB circuit; then, I am waiting for the upcoming round 1 of the 62 to move my ergos over it, it will rock. I hope the information helps.

Reaaaally....

Yeah 62g gold is almost too weak for me. Did you lube both Zealios & Ergo?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 12:20:33 »

Reaaaally....

No lube. To be clear Zealios feel weaker and softer than ergos, it should be realted with the stem material.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 13:37:58 »

Reaaaally....

No lube. To be clear Zealios feel weaker and softer than ergos, it should be realted with the stem material.

Sorry I was working and didn't complete my thought. That worries me because I have a box of 65g Zealios awaiting 2 keyboard projects. I'm sure I'll adjust but 62g ergos seem very light as is.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 14:40:09 »

Reaaaally....

Sorry I was working and didn't complete my thought. That worries me because I have a box of 65g Zealios awaiting 2 keyboard projects. I'm sure I'll adjust but 62g ergos seem very light as is.

Based on my limited experience with Zealios, I'd say that they will feel even lighter than ergos, but I think the setup may be another factor for their final feeling, the ergos I reported are installed PCB, while the Zealios are plate mounted, that may also be a source for differences.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 07:37:18 »
Tried both, I chose lubbed stickered 62g ergo clear anydays. Zealios is nice, but If only they aren't wobbly.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 09:45:12 »
Right. Well, we'll see soon enough. I can't wait to try 62g Gateron Blues & Lubed blacks.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:51:41 »
Reviving this thread lol. I finally went ahead and built my Planck, thinking that lubed Zealios 65g felt heavier than Ergoclear 62g SPRiT. I was wrong.

I am now contemplating 65g vs 68g SPRiTS in my Zealios. I find 62g Ergoclears to be absolutely perfect. The ideal switch. What do you think?

I also have Gateron Blue and Black on the way and I'm concerned that my stockpile of 65g sprits won't do the trick.

Are 65g SPRiTS heavier than the 65g Zealios spring?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:55:24 »
Reviving this thread lol. I finally went ahead and built my Planck, thinking that lubed Zealios 65g felt heavier than Ergoclear 62g SPRiT. I was wrong.

I am now contemplating 65g vs 68g SPRiTS in my Zealios. I find 62g Ergoclears to be absolutely perfect. The ideal switch. What do you think?

I also have Gateron Blue and Black on the way and I'm concerned that my stockpile of 65g sprits won't do the trick.

I have one board with each type of these switches, the one with Ergo clears with 65g springs feel heavier than the one with Zealios, both are plate mounted. I am typing this with my Nerd60 with Zealios, while at work I have the one with Ergo clears, I prefer Ergo clears any day, but that is only me.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:46:45 »

I have one board with each type of these switches, the one with Ergo clears with 65g springs feel heavier than the one with Zealios, both are plate mounted. I am typing this with my Nerd60 with Zealios, while at work I have the one with Ergo clears, I prefer Ergo clears any day, but that is only me.

For sure. If you like 65g Ergoclears, Zealios will definitely feel too loose and light. That's precisely my dilemma now, but with a 3g variance. The question is... how can I replicate the 62g MX force using Zealios and Gateron housings? I think I might just have to declare myself a Cherry MX fan... despite really wanting to like these looser stems.

What makes this extra concerning is that I have a huge order of Gateron Blacks, Blues and also 90x Zealios 65g lined up for 3 future projects.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:48:46 »
PS: I also really don't like DSA or SA profile keycaps. The BST on here and reddit will soon be flooded by my mishaps: Pulse, Nantucket, Granite and DSA blanks.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:52:42 »

For sure. If you like 65g Ergoclears, Zealios will definitely feel too loose and light. That's precisely my dilemma now, but with a 3g variance. The question is... how can I replicate the 62g MX force using Zealios and Gateron housings? I think I might just have to declare myself a Cherry MX fan... despite really wanting to like these looser stems.

What makes this extra concerning is that I have a huge order of Gateron Blacks, Blues and also 90x Zealios 65g lined up for 3 future projects.

For the record: I have clear Gateron tops on my Ergo clears and they do feel exactly the same as they felt before with their original black Cherry tops.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:05:19 »

For the record: I have clear Gateron tops on my Ergo clears and they do feel exactly the same as they felt before with their original black Cherry tops.

That's cool. But isn't it the stem that makes it looser fitting? Or the combination of both?

What makes Zealios unique? They are essentially Gaterons with custom spring and colored purple, right?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:09:42 »

That's cool. But isn't it the stem that makes it looser fitting? Or the combination of both?

What makes Zealios unique? They are essentially Gaterons with custom spring and colored purple, right?

I'd say that the main difference is the stem, also, the clear stem has a tighter fit inside the key caps, than Zealios, they feel less wobbly  than Zealios.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:33:54 »
What about Zealios vs Gaterons?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 19:40:49 »
Bah. I think I'm going to end up selling or trading my extra zealios and gaterons for Cherry MX :\

I really like the way they look but definitely enjoy the sturdier feel of Cherry.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:20:27 »
You guys are making me regret getting 67g zealios :( I wanna try vintage ergo clear 62g...

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:39:51 »
The Zealio stem is a bit smoother than mx clear however mx clear feels much more tactile to me. It's a shame to find out after spending so much on Zealios that I really prefer clears.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 21:08:51 »
I prefer zealio, just because of less chatter and more smoothness. The overall appearance is nicer to me as well.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Jin

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 21:42:29 »
i think ergo clear is better  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 21:52:09 »
I prefer zealio, just because of less chatter and more smoothness. The overall appearance is nicer to me as well.

Sure, you do not use key caps, for seeing the switches all the time, don't you? is it appearance of the switches a good reason to prefer them?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 11:29:58 »
Yeah. I don't want to start a Zealios bashing campaign.

They were designed to replicate Ergoclears without all the work involved. It's a tedious ass project but I personally don't mind. It's worth it in the end. Everything I've tried or built since my Cherry MX Ergoclear 62g has fallen far short in terms of satisfaction. Same goes for keycaps after I tried Gateron blanks, which IMSTO and EnjoyPBT are based on.

Live and learn :) Thank god for the BST. I would be out of $100s and $100s.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 11:31:20 »
PS: If anyone is interested in trading your Cherry MX Clears or Blacks 120 ct. for my Gateron blacks or blues 120 ct., let me know :D

Also, has anyone replicated a clicky Ergoclear 62g? :) I am going to try lubing and 65g-68g SPRiT some gaterons.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 14:27:04 »
Zealios are good in its own right; the issue, I think, is that the statement that they are similar to Ergo clears set expectations that were a bit out of reach, the final result was that people with actual experience with Ergo clears became disappointed, but I am pretty sure that people with no previous experience with Ergo clears are very happy with Zealios, I am happy with mines, but I cannot say that they feel the same as my Ergo clears that I preferred over them.

Offline Proyoyo

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:13:45 »
Similar to several other people in this thread, I prefer ergo clear as well.

Offline garage_logician

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:32:20 »
Short of building Ergo clear, which I don't want to do.  Are Zealios 65g an upgrade from Cherry Mx clears?  I have a CODE board with clears that I love, and an Ergo on the way with Zealios.  Being a keyboard geek I am jumping on the White Fox drop too, but I need to decide what switch to order.  Unfortunately the Ergo kit and switches are still months away, and I need to order the White Fox in the next week or two.   Are the Zealios worth the extra cost (+$70 add on versus $35 for the Cherry Mx Clears.... or should I just get Gateron clears?)

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:49:45 »
Gateron Clears are unrelated to Cherry Clears and Zealios. They're light actuation linear switches.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:06:55 »
Man, this issue always gets me because it makes me rethink what I'm going to do in the future.

I have 65g Zealios that are stickered (maybe even lubed twice) but find they are way too light for my taste and I can't really feel the tactile bumps when I type normally. I was thinking of going up to 78g, but that might seem too gigantic of a leap, so I have some 72g SPRiT springs I'm going to use.
Rather than re-use the r1 casings I have, I'm going to order a full batch of 78g Zealios from r4, which has rectified cases/stems that addressed the chattering/stem wobble.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 18:52:47 »
I prefer ergo clears to Zealios............but lubed zeals with vintage black springs

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 20:28:10 »
Short of building Ergo clear, which I don't want to do.  Are Zealios 65g an upgrade from Cherry Mx clears?  I have a CODE board with clears that I love, and an Ergo on the way with Zealios.  Being a keyboard geek I am jumping on the White Fox drop too, but I need to decide what switch to order.  Unfortunately the Ergo kit and switches are still months away, and I need to order the White Fox in the next week or two.   Are the Zealios worth the extra cost (+$70 add on versus $35 for the Cherry Mx Clears.... or should I just get Gateron clears?)

First thing first: Gateron clears are not similar to Ergo clears nor to Zealios. Regarding Zealios, in my experience and humble opinion, I'd take Cherry Clears over any of the Zealios, and Ergo Clears are my preferred switch, no regrets, no surprises, Ergo clears have the right tactility with the ideal typing spring back, not too light, not too strong.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2016, 21:24:52 by ideus »

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 21:17:16 »
I am currently using 67g r3 zeals. Love the tactile bump, but still find it abit too light for me.. Will definitely get some 78g's when r4 launches
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800