Author Topic: IBM Model M is this good to buy.  (Read 5689 times)

Offline muratbiskin

IBM Model M is this good to buy.
« on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 04:55:29 »
I'm looking for an IBM Model M keyboard.
I found one seller.
Here is the keyboard.I would like to know is it good to buy.Is it real IBM or Lexmark.
It's in Turkish layout, it doesn't matter for me.I just want a good IBM Model M for typing good.

Offline need

Re: IBM Model M is this good to buy.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:21:41 »
Weird that there's no IBM on the logo

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:29:25 »
The Greenock ones don't normally.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 06:26:17 »
I can't find that particular model number, but it looks to be in good condition and has apparently been converted to USB, so that's nice. If it's programmable, that's a bonus. If I were looking for a Model M and didn't care about the layout, this would work. It just depends on the price.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 08:00:39 »
Somebody has gone to the trouble to convert a terminal, which probably means that it has been generally refurbished.

A Turkish layout is probably unusual and desirable to a Turk. Perhaps you could make an upgrade exchange with it in the future.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline muratbiskin

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:05:50 »
It's 80 bucks.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:49:04 »
If it's located locally, it's a good deal because shipping to Turkey (from the United States) can cost $30 or more.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline muratbiskin

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 07:51:05 »
I got it today.Can you look?Is it fake or real?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 07:52:51 »
Looks real to me, I don't see why this would be a fake at all Oo .

Offline need

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 08:19:55 »
is fake Model M actually a thing...?

Offline muratbiskin

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:07:14 »
This is my first M, so I want to be sure before close the deal.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 13:40:56 »

The deal was closed when you received it.

If you bought it from Ebay, take out all the keys, keep them and send it back complaining to Ebay not as described. Buy another keyboard, and then take out the keys and send back the keys in an envelope stating that's all you received. Job done. Ebay gives you a free keyboard. You're welcome.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 14:09:45 »
I got it today.Can you look?Is it fake or real?

Its real, its just a uk version of the board.

They shouldn't be USB, so that has been modified.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 14:23:52 »
For some reason, I thought to myself "hey, it's missing the rubber feet" so I looked up Model M rubber feet on google just to be sure that some come with rubber feet. I goofed, no rubber feet. I found a wall of pictures containing rubber mannequin feet, some pictures are of the feet on food. :'( Why do I torture myself

Anyway, the keyboard looks like it had an abundance of TLC. Looks good, and if you need English legends you can buy a new set off Unicomp for cheap.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 16:38:26 by csmertx »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 16:32:54 »
I don't think so.

There were a lot of look alike rubber domes though, and china made a few knockoffs of buckling springs but i don't think there were truly and fake model m's.

I did hear about a scammer from either here, deskauthority, or a random ebay seller, who was making fake industrial Ms or something?

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 16:39:58 »
I don't think so.

There were a lot of look alike rubber domes though, and china made a few knockoffs of buckling springs but i don't think there were truly and fake model m's.

I did hear about a scammer from either here, deskauthority, or a random ebay seller, who was making fake industrial Ms or something?
There were allegations that some sellers would simply paint a normal Model M grey to disguise them as an industrial variant, though a photo of the back label should be sufficient to discern any such imitations.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 23:24:57 »

If you bought it from Ebay, take out all the keys, keep them and send it back complaining to Ebay not as described. Buy another keyboard, and then take out the keys and send back the keys in an envelope stating that's all you received. Job done. Ebay gives you a free keyboard. You're welcome.

Talk about having no integrity!  What a crook you are.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 23:42:44 »

Well, you know...only an idiot would pay more than $5-$10 for one. So, he's just sticking it to the greedy gougers.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:21:49 »

Well, you know...only an idiot would pay more than $5-$10 for one. So, he's just sticking it to the greedy gougers.

How sad it is to scam people.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 03:00:21 »

Reasons like this are why i closed my decade old 300+ 100% Positive transaction EBay account....Ebay all but always sides with Buyers even when in several occasions they should not since they are scamming the buyer out of stuff.  It's also why i refuse to accept Paypal payments for much the same reason as they stick it to sellers in much the same manner.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 03:04:00 »

Reasons like this are why i closed my decade old 300+ 100% Positive transaction EBay account....Ebay all but always sides with Buyers even when in several occasions they should not since they are scamming the buyer out of stuff.  It's also why i refuse to accept Paypal payments for much the same reason as they stick it to sellers in much the same manner.

Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean you should do it. If you really did stuff like that you are a scumbag.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 03:10:56 »

Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean you should do it. If you really did stuff like that you are a scumbag.

Agree 100% and it happened to me personally on more than one occasion which is why i permanently closed my Seller account and no longer accept Paypal in sales on other websites.  Scammers like that ruin it for everyone else.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 10:12:43 »

Have you never sold anything on ebay? That's exactly what people do. And guess who eBay sides with?
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:27:34 »

Have you never sold anything on ebay? That's exactly what people do. And guess who eBay sides with?

And that gives you the right to rip off people who sell you legitimate items?  You are a sack of ****.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:42:26 »

Have you never sold anything on ebay? That's exactly what people do.

That's exactly what some people do, but is that supposed to be a justification for scamming people? Because some people do it? Some people rob banks, too.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:43:21 »
I got it today. Can you look? Is it fake or real?

Does it work?

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 10:00:57 »

And that gives you the right to rip off people who sell you legitimate items?  You are a sack of ****.

f*** me, this thread is full of retards. Only one person gets it.
(please like me)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 10:11:33 »

f*** me, this thread is full of retards. Only one person gets it.

Yeah, we all wonder who the retard really is.  Find another hobby.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 11:23:27 »

That's fraud. If you do that you're committing a criminal offence, and you'd be liable to fines and imprisonment.

Please, please, please, get ****ed.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:01:01 »
No amor in this thread :(

Anyway, how do you like your new keyboard muratbiskin?

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:54:02 »

The hive mind is strong with everyone here, except one. This one. If people here are typical of the adults who want to run the country, y'all fuc*ed. No sense of humour, no sarcasm detectors, and OMG he tells us we pay too much for 30 year-old junk. GoGoGadgetNoGeekNoHackOnlyFullHipster!
(please like me)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 13:29:19 »

The hive mind is strong with everyone here, except one. This one.

No sense of humour, no sarcasm detectors,

Which one are you referring to?

I have looked in on this thread from time to time and it is particularly bizarre.

After the initial "Is this a good deal?" query and a few affirmative responses, it went completely dingo.

I'm not quite sure how to tease out the sarcasm and humor from the anger and criticism.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 1391406

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 14:02:27 »
No sense of humour, no sarcasm detectors

The way to stick it to price gougers is simply not to buy.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 15:46:58 »
Sarcasm without body language is kind of hard to pick up on. I think the op fled the scene

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 16:38:09 »
Sarcasm without body language is kind of hard to pick up on.

And until you have established a certain pattern of writing or other MO that the allows the others in the group to get to know you and to "read" your intent.

It is very hard to pick up on behavioral subtleties in a stranger, especially on the internet.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 18:40:21 »
Use brown sarcasm text.

edit: HOW THE **** IS THAT BROWN

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 18:48:40 »
Was the sarcasm bit the "how to" advice to ebay buyers for scamming sellers?

Or the part about wanting a properly working Model M for $5 including shipping?

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 18:54:52 »

The hive mind is strong with everyone here, except one. This one. If people here are typical of the adults who want to run the country, y'all fuc*ed. No sense of humour, no sarcasm detectors, and OMG he tells us we pay too much for 30 year-old junk. GoGoGadgetNoGeekNoHackOnlyFullHipster!

...but this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82126.0 coupled with this thread in general makes it hard to buy the sarcasm defense. You may want to follow fohat's advice until "we" get to know you.

Also, WTF is GoGoGadgetNoGeekNoHackOnlyFullHipster? Sounds like something I should learn to not like :)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 19:12:00 »

this thread in general makes it hard to buy the sarcasm defense

Perhaps QuincyJones (and does this moniker mean that he is a fan of the old smooth jazz musician?) does not realize where the humor "bar" is set around here.

Quote from: Anonymous Coward

I feel ashamed when I see a grown up man say things like "...a sharp drop at the actuation point at around 2/3 - 3/4 way down the..."

Don't you have anything better to do with your life than yammering away on the minute details of a keyboard? I have both an M and an F that I picked up at goodwill for nothing 15 years ago and for the first time yesterday I googled about them and found 'enthusiast' (here an euphemism for retarded) websites where idiots bounce off the walls telling each other about the orgasms per second they have when using them. And 'using' is an overstatement with 90% of those morons. Most are busy opening them, cleaning the last atom of dirt off them, 'restoring' what doesn't need any restoration, 'upgrading', thinking of names for them, 'modding', taking photos, showing them off, in general jerking off about the clicky sensations and the superb accuracy of their typing and other general uber-dorkiness. What I never found there was anything useful to do with them, ie. actually program a computer.

Go type 'messenger lectures' in youtube and see what smart people look like, then kill yourself disassembling your One True Keyboard(TM) for the nth time and swallowing all the buckling springs.

And then mail one of your remaining model Fs to me.

Probably deserves re-posting, yet again.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 May 2016, 19:13:43 by fohat.digs »