Author Topic: Keyboard advise price  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Erzegovaz

Keyboard advise price
« on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:44:22 »
Hi guys :D
One man is selling his novatouch 100% work, layout ITA, for 47 euro shipped, with this:

Here u can buy a new novatouch for 110 Euro shipped.

Do u think this is worth?

Other question:
Is it possibile to change the case with something 100% compatible, without pay 10000 euro?
Is is possibile to change layout ITA, to ANSI, with change keycaps? Or it`s impossible for stabs (enter)?

Offline Erzegovaz

Re: Keyboard advise price
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 04:51:24 »
nobody knows?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 06:11:28 »
Difficult to tell what other damage was done to the keyboard.  How did the case crack?  You'd have to hit it pretty hard to do that.

With a new one you'd get a new warranty too, in case something else went wrong with it.

I haven't heard of replacement case tops for the Novatouch, although CM did make replacement case tops for the QFR a while back, so everything's possible.  There is talk of an aluminium case top for the Novatouch, but that would be expensive.

Unlikely that you could change IS to ANSI without replacing most of the keyboard and the controller.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 07:06:13 »
yes i see the new CNC case, but 250$ is tooo much :D
Yes i`m agree with you, too hard to estimate the damage... if one day I`ll want a NT, I`ll take new ANSI, not ITA. Why producers still continue to put layout ita...damn =(

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 07:28:55 »
It worth it if you want to salvage domes, springs and sliders for sale.
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 10:23:06 »
and PCB i think and cable. All without case...:D
But what can i do with those things? Build a custom keyboard? how? XD

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 10:35:00 »
and PCB i think and cable. All without case...:D
But what can i do with those things? Build a custom keyboard? how? XD

You can try to sell it, because commonly, for topre boards there is no way to get some parts besides buying a keyboard and remove parts what you need.
Also, maybe you not need a topcase? NT looks not bad without the top case: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40658.msg2177579#msg2177579
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 12:38:24 »

You can try to sell it, because commonly, for topre boards there is no way to get some parts besides buying a keyboard and remove parts what you need.
Also, maybe you not need a topcase? NT looks not bad without the top case: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40658.msg2177579#msg2177579
So the case in made by 2 different parts? Nice, i dont have problem without top case.
I discover that the keyboard owner live in my city, so i can easy take a look and try the keyboard. He told me that the case was broke when he opened the case for clean, so it wasn`t a big punch or something. What should I take a look during our meeting?

---
And I have a friend that work with wood, maybe he can build a case with wood with the perfect size of PCB (just the bottom, top cover too hard to do and too expensive). Is it possibile insert the PCB with Cable in a wood homemade case without problem (elettric, vibration or idk)?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 May 2016, 12:46:16 by Erzegovaz »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 13:03:52 »
By the look of it, you can't switch layouts.
Of course, a wooden case is doable and it would do the trick.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 13:37:41 »
By the look of it, you can't switch layouts.
Of course, a wooden case is doable and it would do the trick.
Ty, and u know how can I secure the PCB into wood case? Glue ?  :cool:
So i think I`ll swap layout ISO ITA--->ISO UK :D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 13:56:29 »
how can I secure the PCB into wood case?
I would say standoffs and screws but perhaps your woodworking friend has a better solution.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 14:05:11 »
If it were me, I would buy it and repair it with JB weld for plastic. Sand it all down and paint it. Assuming it really is the only damage on the keyboard.

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 14:18:00 »
If it were me, I would buy it and repair it with JB weld for plastic. Sand it all down and paint it. Assuming it really is the only damage on the keyboard.
Yes, this is the other option. But which JB weld? And sandblasting and then color can resist for a long time with sweat and other things?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 14:38:09 »
Yes, this is the other option. But which JB weld? And sandblasting and then color can resist for a long time with sweat and other things?

Just something like this http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50133-Structural-Adhesive/dp/B009EU5ZNO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463945343&sr=8-2&keywords=jb+weld+plastic

All you would need to do after that would be use normal sandpaper and sand down the whole keyboard and then use some nice spraypaint. Unless you have some experience with spray painting I wouldn't really suggest it because if you don't paint it properly the finish wont look great. You have to sand between every few coats and really know how much to put on to have a nice finish. If you have some nice paint and properly put it, and finish it off with a clear coat it will be very durable.

As I said, unless you have experience doing it, I wouldn't really suggest it. So many little things can make the process go south. If the humidity is too high when you painted, the paint wont properly dry and harden. If the coats you put on are too thick, same thing can happen. If your coats are too light, the finish will be rough like sandpaper. Things like that can all ruin the finish.

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 14:51:47 »
I have UHU epoxide resin bicomponent, i think will be good.
I have some experience with spray painting, there`s no problem.  :thumb:
But maybe the wooden case will be free, if I do it with my friend :D

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 17:20:56 »
I do find the story about it being damaged while cleaning a little fishy.  If the board is fully operational and you can live with the crack then by all means settle for the deep discount.  If you are going to go through the labor/hassle/cost of repairing or replacing the case then you may as well just buy the board new, or find another used one without damage.  (unless you are the type that just loves to get his hands dirty with a challenging project)
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 17:59:46 »
Clean it right off the table! :confused: I wouldn't buy it but that's just me; I feel that there is more to the story than a cracked case.
Chris Schammert

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 15:16:14 »
some news guys...
The price drop down to 30 euros...100% working. I think I`ll take if 100% working under my eyes.
Now i dont have money for build a nice wood case (i must sell my second Leopold before), but then I`m going to do a ipercool project :D

Someone have any tips for try the 100% work? I can connect to my notebook and try all keys, and then? Search weird sound...and?

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:54:18 »
some news guys...
The price drop down to 30 euros...100% working. I think I`ll take if 100% working under my eyes.
Now i dont have money for build a nice wood case (i must sell my second Leopold before), but then I`m going to do a ipercool project :D

Someone have any tips for try the 100% work? I can connect to my notebook and try all keys, and then? Search weird sound...and?

Not much more to be done. Just compare the keys close to the crack to other keys diligently and attentively, but also pay attention to other keys in plausible lines in case something heavy had fallen on the KB. But you need to try every single key anyway.

For the record, the story with the top case cracking when being removed for cleaning isn't all that implausible provided that he simply pressed too hard with his thumb while applying force or something else along these lines. The keyboard is a solid build but not nearly to the point of a Model. It can certainly be damaged by accident like that.

For €30 you want to buy it, if only to know what a Topre feels like. Besides, the keyset alone would probably sell for at least €20. If you purchase it that cheap and with a crack, you won't be as averse to customizing it or experimenting with it as if you'd bought a pukkah NIB piece for the full price (€150 ro so).

Think about sound-dampening mats when you open the case to fix the crack. This keyboard isn't awfully loud, but the rattling isn't too pleasant. Might as well try applying that creative and helpful but time-consuming mod with foam pads inside the switches. There's always a chance of damaging the board, and €30 wasted won't feel as bad as €150 wasted.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 22:22:12 »
Run keytest on it (the old aqua test free)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34670.msg641440#msg641440
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 15:40:48 »
some news guys...

Not much more to be done. Just compare the keys close to the crack to other keys diligently and attentively, but also pay attention to other keys in plausible lines in case something heavy had fallen on the KB. But you need to try every single key anyway.

For the record, the story with the top case cracking when being removed for cleaning isn't all that implausible provided that he simply pressed too hard with his thumb while applying force or something else along these lines. The keyboard is a solid build but not nearly to the point of a Model. It can certainly be damaged by accident like that.

For €30 you want to buy it, if only to know what a Topre feels like. Besides, the keyset alone would probably sell for at least €20. If you purchase it that cheap and with a crack, you won't be as averse to customizing it or experimenting with it as if you'd bought a pukkah NIB piece for the full price (€150 ro so).

Think about sound-dampening mats when you open the case to fix the crack. This keyboard isn't awfully loud, but the rattling isn't too pleasant. Might as well try applying that creative and helpful but time-consuming mod with foam pads inside the switches. There's always a chance of damaging the board, and €30 wasted won't feel as bad as €150 wasted.
Yes I download the aqua test, so I`ll bring with me my notebook and try all keys ;)
I read some topic about silent mod on novatouch like this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49046.0
But I cant find the right grease model and positioning. Do u have some link for buy in Europe?
And i cant find on ebay (in europe) the right landing pads. Just find this on elitek but the shipping kill me: https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads&pid=sl120_cs
:D
thanks