Author Topic: Advice please: keyboards for game lab  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Oranjoose

Advice please: keyboards for game lab
« on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 19:39:13 »
Hello all,

This is an odd request, but I'm the manager of the Game Design facility at my local University, and I have to order keyboards across all the machines. The big catch is that they have to be purchased from an approved vendor, namely in the case of keyboards, dell.com and cdwg.com. The students are mostly doing computer programming, gaming, and using graphics programs (such as Maya, ZBrush, PhotoShop, game engine editors, etc.).

Here's a link to the 542 keyboard selection on cdwg: https://www.cdwg.com/shop/search/Computer-Accessories/Keyboards-Keypads/Keyboards/result.aspx?w=A31

Here's a link to the 112 keyboard selection on dell.com: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&category_id=6592&~ck=bt

I'd be curious to know what might be considered the best keyboards, as well as the best cheapo option (under $50).Limitations would be that they'd have to have US keyboard layout (I saw some on there with the German Enter key) and that they'd have to be wired. Key longevity and reliability are the most important factors, followed by key rollover and comfort.

I personally own several keyboards with Cherry MX switches, but from what I can tell none of the keyboards on these pages do. It really just looks like a huge list of trashy membrane office keyboards. But even still, if any of you have any special insight onto these types of keyboards, then I would highly appreciate any advice you can give here!

Thank you!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Advice please: keyboards for game lab
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 21:07:13 »
I glanced at the keyboards for under $50 and found one with double shot (I assume abs) keycaps, some anti-ghosting (26 keys? I guess most of the keys near WASD are covered?), and backlighting. Oh, the IOGEAR Kaliber keyboard also has Winkey lock. I think Logitech and Lenovo have a few keyboards with mechanical switches but those will definitely be more expensive.

https://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/IOGEAR-Kaliber-Gaming-HVER-keyboard/4133091.aspx?pfm=srh

According to the description, the keyboard also comes in a black & grey model /shrug

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 10:00:16 »
'The HVER features an innovative key structure using low-friction POM plungers that do away with the mushiness, common to membrane designs. The result is a super-smooth, positive keystroke engagement, similar to the feel of a mechanical keyboard.' — Not bad, sounds similar to old IBM rubber domes, which are not worlds apart from Topre, at least when new. Problem: at $35 this unit costs almost as much as a real mech board anyway.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 10:20:13 »
Looks like there are some mechs on cdwg but not below $50. A lot of the stuff on there seems overpriced in comparison to other stores, but if you're looking for a fairly "budget" option-- keeping in mind that your sources don't have access to the world of cheap Asian-brand stuff that you find on eBay/Amazon/MD-- it looks like they've got the relatively inexpensive Adesso mechs for prices that are not totally out of line with other places.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 05:30:50 »
If you end up going with generic OEM keyboards, those made by Key Tronic are fairly decent.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 12:13:10 »
I'm pretty sure the 911 keyboard uses cherry MX, but it would be best to check.  If it has the blood splatter guard, I'd recommend you remove it. 

How about a selection of keyboards?  There are some split boards in the list, so the users could game with only the left side.

A selection would be good if you have users with upper limb disorders.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 12:37:28 »
For a big lab I would just buy some good quality rubber dome (or ideally, dome with sliders). More disposable and inexpensive when you're buying a bunch in a large lab setting.