Author Topic: AEK 1/2 or IBM model M for flawless MAC/WIN setup  (Read 2157 times)

Offline michael_engel

AEK 1/2 or IBM model M for flawless MAC/WIN setup
« on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:13:06 »
Hi all.

Im new to this forum.
Im an Electronic Engineering student from Denmark. I have been studying electronics for only 6 months by now.
I LOVE the old mechanical keyboards - i grew up using an Amiga 500 which has a great sound and feel.

I need some advise on how to choose (and hack) the best keyboard for my modern desk.
I am using a Retina Macbook Pro and a Apple Thunderbolt Display. I am running both OSX and WINDOWS 10 via BootCamp.

Currently i am using a Danish layout Logitech K750 for practical reasons, but i would love to have an American layout IBM model M or one of the Apple extended keyboards for programming.

SO... The ideal finished solution for me is:
- Vintage mechanical keyboard (preferably an iconic model as the Model M or AEK 1 or 2)
- Windows and Mac compatible
- Flawless hack (no ghosting)

Which setup and hack do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks!

Michael

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: AEK 1/2 or IBM model M for flawless MAC/WIN setup
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:16:33 »
I prefer the AEK to the AEK2, but really I am an IBM guy who has used the Model F for several years.

If you are an Apple enthusiast, get an AEK and something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-iMate-ADB-to-USB-adapter-/222098267320?hash=item33b6169cb8:m:m56yBREdTTlOZpBnHKSRSvw
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:17:33 »
I rather think the Model F might overwhelm the aesthetic that you created with the Macbook Pro and the Apple Display.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 00:29:43 »
The AEK 1 uses orange ALPS which are arguably better than the dampened cream ALPS found in the AEK II, but the AEK 2 has a few nicer features.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 02:52:04 »
Neither the AEK nor Model M have ghosting, but then again I've never heard of a board that does. If you mean blocking, i.e. you want n-key rollover, neither has it.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline michael_engel

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 09:55:14 »
Thanks for your inputs!

Neither the AEK nor Model M have ghosting, but then again I've never heard of a board that does. If you mean blocking, i.e. you want n-key rollover, neither has it.

I just read some solutions where the keyboard didn't work 100 % as it should because of the adaptor.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 10:09:46 »
Thanks for your inputs!

I just read some solutions where the keyboard didn't work 100 % as it should because of the adaptor.
I've never heard of anything like that Oo . My own AEKs and Ms never gave any problems as long as I used the right converter.

You can buy model M converters commercially, they're easy to find and are quite cheap. There are also commercial AEK adapters, but they're very expensive - however, you can also make one yourself with some tinkering :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:30:09 »
I use Model M keyboards under both Mac and Windows.  I have an orihalcon SDL to USB cable which works perfectly.

Alternatively a PS/2 to USB adapter like this one also works well: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ