Author Topic: Keyboard (and mouse) for garage  (Read 945 times)

Offline funkmon

Keyboard (and mouse) for garage
« on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 03:35:40 »
Okay boys. I'm building out the garage to work on cars and motorcycles after all the shops wanted $700 to change my spark plugs. Fuuuuck that. I used to work on my cars when I was a teenager and poor, and I don't really mind it as long as it's not ass cold outside, so I've been doing the repairs on them for the past few months.

So, I'm getting the garage ready to be a service station for the family cars and the motorcycle. I'm gonna park a computer on a shelf, and it's gonna get ****ty and gross while I look at youtube videos on replacing EGR valves and ****. What do you guys reckon is my best option for input?

I have about 9000 Models M, including some rubber dome models, so if you guys think that's a good option I'll just plunk down a rubber dome M and call it a day.

Or, do you reckon it's gonna get so ****ty I should just buy a new MK120 every year and throw out the old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Windows-Optical-Full-Size/dp/B003NREDC8?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mEAzOpyD6BFiOKTUz5iqTZAPxj2FcKG-txmZJ5sEQtu5NQmVX8iGiocTszKYz_3Nagrs48McS1EZWUWeW0xLD4skSPiWylaG8AoDwsrcs__Hth9gjTiL0_li4LOwtYgenF8jvIpHM8VPY_5nULcfCE_QdBEO3IREvrCsXsWPgTfz_xeU15EqQjbU8IJv0AxaivwZ8ZA-0uGaL1px9AIGjk9NE4ihIVqCyRin7lpK7WI.OSS2iSQxIhJhJD7ofOfCWahN-ctlWN_tnKKFMfaJ9Ts&dib_tag=se

The computer will be a **** tier all in one I have salvaged from the trash, so this won't be a pleasant experience even if I have a good keyboard attached to it. It's got a spinning hard disk, 2 cores, and RAM that could be outmaneuvred by a CD player.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2024, 03:39:09 by funkmon »

Offline Tseg

Re: Keyboard (and mouse) for garage
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 05:26:19 »
It sounds like you want something like an Advantech keyboard, made for industrial use.  Why repurpose an existing keyboard when you can buy a new one?

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 06:18:28 »
I'd buy it if it were approximately 7 times cheaper. Maybe even 3 times cheaper.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 06:48:42 »
i say just use the M lol
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 09:57:36 »
Your best bet would be to find a sanitary cover for the keyboard like hospitals have. Every few months, give it a bath and Bob's your uncle.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 18:48:47 »
Those silicone roll up keyboards, they suck to type on, but cheap and hard to kill.
A hospital cover is also an option but may cost more than a cheap keyboard you can just replace.

Really though, most decent keyboards are pretty tough.

On the computer, keep your eyes out for a cheap Intel compute stick, tiny and no fans or heat sinks to worry about. Tape it under a bench and it should be fine. You can get generic versions cheap.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 21:25:29 »
How about:

"Pallets Wholesale Bulk Lenovo Dell Mixed USB Wired Wireless Keyboard Mouse New" https://www.ebay.com/itm/166616393656

You'll never run out and you can bin them when they get nasty  ;D
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline sarahn27

• Null Design Co
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 March 2024, 21:35:52 »
Okay boys. I'm building out the garage to work on cars and motorcycles after all the shops wanted $700 to change my spark plugs. Fuuuuck that. I used to work on my cars when I was a teenager and poor, and I don't really mind it as long as it's not ass cold outside, so I've been doing the repairs on them for the past few months.

So, I'm getting the garage ready to be a service station for the family cars and the motorcycle. I'm gonna park a computer on a shelf, and it's gonna get ****ty and gross while I look at youtube videos on replacing EGR valves and ****. What do you guys reckon is my best option for input?

I have about 9000 Models M, including some rubber dome models, so if you guys think that's a good option I'll just plunk down a rubber dome M and call it a day.

Or, do you reckon it's gonna get so ****ty I should just buy a new MK120 every year and throw out the old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Windows-Optical-Full-Size/dp/B003NREDC8?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mEAzOpyD6BFiOKTUz5iqTZAPxj2FcKG-txmZJ5sEQtu5NQmVX8iGiocTszKYz_3Nagrs48McS1EZWUWeW0xLD4skSPiWylaG8AoDwsrcs__Hth9gjTiL0_li4LOwtYgenF8jvIpHM8VPY_5nULcfCE_QdBEO3IREvrCsXsWPgTfz_xeU15EqQjbU8IJv0AxaivwZ8ZA-0uGaL1px9AIGjk9NE4ihIVqCyRin7lpK7WI.OSS2iSQxIhJhJD7ofOfCWahN-ctlWN_tnKKFMfaJ9Ts&dib_tag=se

The computer will be a **** tier all in one I have salvaged from the trash, so this won't be a pleasant experience even if I have a good keyboard attached to it. It's got a spinning hard disk, 2 cores, and RAM that could be outmaneuvred by a CD player.

At my old job I was a waterjet programmer/operator. Lots of water and abrasive spraying all over the place. Everything in that shop was covered in a layer of dust. We just had a normal lenovo keyboard with one of those thin silicone keyboard covers. Got super dirty really quickly and couldn't see the legends anymore but didn't matter to me. Easy enough to clean off though.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 01:34:59 »
I think a shop environment is a perfect match for a rubber dome model M....darn imposters.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 14:02:18 »
It doesn't matter if the garage is hot or cold, as long as it's not moissstsss.. Silicone cover might not help with the moisssss..ssssss

Offline Mandan

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 21:37:10 »
The flat panel monitors in my workshop don't work below 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

Offline sarahn27

• Null Design Co
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 22:35:04 »
I just looked it up and apparently Digikey sells a $600 IP65-rated keyboard lol