Author Topic: Update: July Model M bolt mod and Cherry soldering gathering [Chicagoland area]  (Read 11469 times)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: Any interest in a Model M bolt mod gathering? [Chicagoland area]
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:08:24 »
I'd show up if I could borrow the dremel and do WFD's LED switch mod on the switches for my LZ-GH (the one where you can have LEDs installed but still remove the top switch cover).  This is also assuming I'm not out of town when the meetup occurs (I have multiple travel plans this month - weddings, etc.).

This will not happen until July at the earliest.  If there is a month/weekend in the upcoming months that's off limits speak now or forever hold your peace.

Ah, well, if it's in July, I'll need to have my switches ready before then anyways (I will probably need to send them out for soldering before the end of the month).  And I don't own a Model M to mod (I like my switches light...), either, so maybe I'll stop by to check things out if I'm free, but don't let me complicate scheduling for the rest.

If you don't feel like buying a dremel just for the LED mod, you can rent a dremel from Home Depot for a day for cheap. I had needed a power drill for a day and it was about $10 to rent for a day.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:18:49 »
With a Dremel, it almost makes more sense to just buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:36:47 »
I can borrow a dremel from my dad for free (I bet he's probably got at least 2 of 'em), the only reason I asked about dremelling at the meetup is because it would give me something to do while the rest are busy modding their model M's...

Offline dante

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 16:58:23 »
So far it's me, CptBadAss, and Ski.

I'm voting for July.  If anyone would benefit to having this pushed to September let me know.

Anyone else?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 13:45:43 »
I'm in too!
And July works better for me.

Offline dante

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 16:18:10 »
op updated w/ current interested folk

Offline Trent

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 20:31:08 »
Put me down as a maybe.  Life's been **** and I can't put a guarantee on any weekend right now.  I can help with soldering and model M bolt modding.  I've been meaning to work with tipo to get one of my 122 keys bolt modded.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 21:59:48 »
Come on guys, we had a huge turn out in April! You know you wanna chill with us again ^__^

Offline Trent

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:04:27 »
Come on guys, we had a huge turn out in April! You know you wanna chill with us again ^__^

Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:49:09 »
I'm doing my SSK by myself this time. (All the way in CA)
But you guys should pick up a drill press if someone doesn't already have one. Waaay easier than hand drilling.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:51:19 »
After the last bolt mod I did,  I considered getting my hands on a drill press.  It would really simplify and streamline the process.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:55:57 »
I wish for one every time I do it, but I am about done with Model Ms. I think that I may have one or 2 more in the garage.

What should one charge for a barrel plate already drilled and bolts inserted (nuts and washers shipped loose)? I might be able to sell one.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:59:40 »
My glasses are my eye protection. (There's a scratch on the right lens...)

Future shop teacher here, glasses are not enough without the side shields that wrap around your eyes.

Justsayin'
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 12:41:42 »
My dad had a piece of coiled wire swing around through the side of his glasses and hit him in the tear duct. I took him to the ER with blood streaming down his face, but and everything was ok. It was millimeters away from puncturing him right in the cornea.

On less gruesome note... has anyone ever put back together a model M but left out the rubber sheet? I'm wondering if leaving it out would make the landing feel crisper.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2013, 12:43:28 by khaangaaroo »

Offline dante

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 15:13:54 »
After the last bolt mod I did,  I considered getting my hands on a drill press.  It would really simplify and streamline the process.

How much faster would a drill press be?  I could try to arrange it so we have one on hand but not unless it would give us a significant speed bump.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:03:01 »
I think that the rubber mat is necessary to provide consistent pressure, as well as the fact that it might be insulating.

It would be very easy to test with a substitute - try good quality paper, fabric, or mylar - but you probably need "something" in there.

After doing the bolt mod, you realize that you can make significant adjustments by tightening the nuts. I recommend that you start with them just barely finger-tight.

I'm not sure that a drill press would be faster - lining up the bit "perfectly" would be tedious - but it would allow for better accuracy since the hole would always be vertical and consistent.

Use a fresh sharp bit and the slowest speed available.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:23:02 »
I think the drill press would be slightly faster, simply because of the accuracy.  I spent quite a bit of time on my last bolt mod getting everything "perfect"

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:36:58 »
It would only be slightly faster than if you were already pretty skilled with a hand drill. But it's a lot easier and nicer to use. You can get straight holes every time without even trying.

Lining things up is pretty easy. You can just hold it in place by hand, no need for clamps. Just line up, punch hole, move to the next.

Offline dante

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:42:34 »
So how would timing work out?  Say for instance 8 hours is budgeted to do a bolt mod without a drill press per person, could you still somehow get 2 people sharing one drill press to accomplish the same amount of work in 8 hours?

In an ideal situation we would only need one drill press and everyone could use it to get their board done.  And while someone is working on the drill the rest could be doing other things.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 17:05:50 »
Even with a handheld Dremel you can do it in an hour or 2 the first time, and half that for the second, then less. There are only 50 holes and you can't spend more than a minute or 2 on each one, no matter what. Problem is, you either screw up, or you don't, and then you can't go back anyway.

Bring several chisel-point X-acto blades and learn to cut clean flat lines with them. That makes everything a lot easier.

Get a few pieces of scrap lumber and knock this together. It will make everything a lot more stable.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 17:09:02 »
It took me about 10 minutes to drill 30 holes on my SSK using my drill press. (There are 50 rivets but I only decided to replace 30.) And it took me about 4 hours to put everything back together after that...haha. Only because I had to take it apart again cause one key wasn't working. But the amount of time spent drilling was a lot less than other the stuff. I'm sure you could share one drill press without a bunch of people waiting in line for it.

Offline dante

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 17:32:42 »
hmm !  I'm having fantasies of a raspberry pi or beaglebone hooked up to a drill press for some automated production work.

Since not too many people are raising their hand I'm going to use the number ten when locating the perfect location.  Maybe we'll have some space for stragglers maybe we won't.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Tapping the 59 rivet holes takes a long time, but then you don't risk cracking the barrel frame when screwing the bolts in.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
So is this happening?  I might be interested in some soldering and desoldering.  Although it won't be cherry switches.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline dante

Not happening.  My primary interest was in buckling springs and the two local bolt modders are not available for this.  If someone wants to hold one for Cherry switches this thread is all yours.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
The sadness, I has it. I wanted to learn to bolt mod my SSK :(

Prdlm, you should turn that Indy meet of yours into a mod meet as well as another GH meetup :D

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
If there's anyone in MN that wants a bolt-mod meetup I could be one of the gurus. But you can't use my tools or stainless bolts/nuts.

Maybe the third annual MN GH meetup could host bolt-modding? But that would be a year from now...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
I'm sorry,  I was one of the modders slated to go, but life got in the way.  :(

Offline vivalarevolución

I'm sorry,  I was one of the modders slated to go, but life got in the way.  :(

Screw jobs.  Time to start freelance keyboarding!

Offline vivalarevolución

The sadness, I has it. I wanted to learn to bolt mod my SSK :(

Prdlm, you should turn that Indy meet of yours into a mod meet as well as another GH meetup :D

That's a possibility.  However the suitable workspace is the basement and that place still scares me.