Author Topic: what is a hot swappable keyboard?  (Read 17662 times)

Offline Allthunbs

what is a hot swappable keyboard?
« on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 06:16:22 »
I'm trying to write out the specifications for a keyboard. Doing my research, I've come across this term 'hot swap-able' that means almost nothing to me. I use a bluetooth keyboard and although I'd love to use it as a KVM switch, that capability doesn't make it hot swap-able.

I've seen where people are in the habit of swapping out switches but that hardly constitutes swapping out something while it is in use. Hot swap-able means just that, replacing a defective part while the device is powered up and in use. Swapping out a battery while another battery carries the load and the device is still functioning fully --- that's hot swap-able. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help.

Allthunbs

Offline Enemy

Re: what is a hot swappable keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 06:33:31 »
Hot-swappable refers to what you already mentioned, pulling out a switch and replacing it (in theory possible while running). Most people want hot-swappable boards to try out new switches and it saves them the time and effort of desoldering the old switches. Since mechanical switches usually last upward of 50 million activations, switches are usually swapped for a different feel and not to replace a broken part.

Hope this helps
Enemy

Offline Allthunbs

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 06:45:44 »
thanks 'Enemy':

Your explanation is bang on. Thank you.

I will comment though that I see nothing in any of the switches that would make their characteristics 'feel' any different one to the other. They're all single spring, hard bottomed. That's hard on the finger joints. I'm looking for a dual detente key with a soft bottom and have been looking since my Data General keyboard crapped out in the late '70s. I came close with the hall-effect keyboard on the AES Plus but I had to modify it to make it soft bottomed. There is nothing that I can find that is modifiable on any of the current switch offerings.

I've tried rings of various densities and sizes, pads and I'm still looking for something that will make Cherry keys usable.

Thanks again for your reply.

Allthunbs

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 10:23:38 »
Those sockets are also NOT super reliable..  The connection can also become intermittent/ induce chatter.

The good news is, you can solder it if that happens.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 18:40:24 »
You guys have made some rather severe assumptions here,  op never mentions anything about sockets or switches and hot swappable may simply refer to the USB connection.

PS2 ports are (almost universally) not hot swappable, you need to restart for them to work as they are bios controlled, not OS controlled, therefore, not hot swappable. USB keyboards however can be plugged and unplugged at will, making them hot swappable.

Yes, PS2 ports are old, but they are still fairly common.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion