Author Topic: SmallFry Friends & Family Tribute key, formerly known as Mystery key 3 or M3 key  (Read 14179 times)

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
A long time ago SmallFry and I were talking about the Mystery keys 1 & 2 and how it was a cool thing to-do. But what seemed to be missing was a real purpose or reason for the keys to exist and go through all the work and expense of the project. To me the whole practical joke reasoning wore thin when a 2nd key came about. It just seemed like a way to inflate the senders ego and nothing else. Any reason or purpose could have been better than that, like a promotion or coupon or something for a new keyboard store or anything else really. We thought it would be cool to make a mystery key 3 with a real purpose & reason, we just didn't know what that was at the time.

A couple months later GH had become a real mess and the community seemed to be breaking apart at the seams from all the trolling, arguments, & fighting that occupied just about every thread. People were leaving & others were thinking or planning oo leaving (myself). I can still remember the night I intended to leave GH for good and had told a few people on IRC before hand. Seeing as i'm still here typing this, someone talked me out of it. To no ones surprise that person was SmallFry. We talked for a very long time that night and unknown to both of us at the time, it had given us the reason and purpose for mystery key 3 to exist.

Paying the upfront costs of the project was still a roadblock though. But then the Bittcoin bubble happened this spring and the upfront funding problem was solved

And with that the M3 project as we called it began.
-The design was finalized and the keys were ordered which are 1.5x sized modifer keys from SP:

-We collected all the addresses we could find.
-I got the mailers and return labels ordered.
-A few select people that we had relationships with were asked to be "re-shippers" and told nothing about the project other than it was mystery key 3. The "re-shippers" job was to re-ship large numbers of these keys to the addresses given to them and pay for this shipping themselves. My thinking was that there would be more control over the process this way and it wouldn't get stuck with the note in a package please take 1 and ship the rest process like the other mystery keys
-The keys arrived and a few test packages were sent out and I had my 1st "re-shipper" (thanks OddOne!) send out a larger quantity. About 1/3rd of which never arrived or people didn't post that they did
-Then I got way way to busy at work and the project stalled waiting for me to send out keys and addresses to the re-shippers

Life is strange though, because the ONLY other person who knew what the reason and purpose of the M3 keys was SmallFry himself. After his very unfortunate passing away, I've been thinking a lot about what to-do with these caps. The original purpose & reason is even more true after the loss of SmallFry, so continuing on as a mystery key didn't seem like the best thing to-do and is why I canceled the M3 project[size=78%]. [/size]

I suppose I should finally tell you what the original purpose & reason of M3 was. It was to remind the GH community that we aren't just nameless people online, but people with whom we can grow Friendships together as we share our common interests. And then eventually even start to feel like a GH Family. So the key is 2 F's with weird angles and one of them flipped to give the key a little bit of mystery.

We have all seen that GH is made up of Friends and even people we'd call Family as SmallFry's passing has shown us. 

So I think its appropriate that these will now be known as the SmallFry Friends & Family Tribute key

Some of these keys will end up one something made from GH and given to Nates family at some point in the future. The rest will be sold with the money donated in someway that is still be discussed behind the scenes. When they are sold they will be made available to anyone from GH on a 1st come basis

thoughts/concerns/ideas/comments?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:36:49 by inlikeflynn »
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
-----reserved-----
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
a really nice sentiment and idea along with a touching backstory

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I was about to send you my revisions and thought man! That's ok though, I'm glad we got the explanation and I like the ideas we have to honor Nate's memory.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I think this is great and hope it helps build more of a community and that we will carry on with the memory of SmallFry and always be ready to help each other out and learn from one another.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
i just took a big breath right there because that's all i felt i could do. i know we can come up with something awesome to do with these.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ImperfectLink

Would be nice if this could be a group buy with profits going toward doing something for his family.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
The caps are already made so there is no need for a GB.

Offline ImperfectLink

Sorry I got the impression that there weren't that many.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found

Sorry I got the impression that there weren't that many.

correct they are already made and have been for a while now for their original M3 idea.
There are plenty of them too (this isn't all of them):
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
So are these to be purchased?
Or will they only be available/distributed to those that really knew the guy?

I'd love to purchase one in memory of him. The impact he's made on this forum and his loss is incredible. Really wish I knew the guy
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline Lu_e

Are these tab keys? or  \| keys?

Really nice gesture, and purpose.

Offline ImperfectLink

Choose a goal amount to be made, then divide that by the number of keys you have.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
So are these to be purchased?

Or will they only be available/distributed to those that really knew the guy?

"Some of these keys will end up one something made from GH and given to Nates family at some point in the future. The rest will be sold with the money donated in someway that is still be discussed behind the scenes."

No, they'll be for sale to the community according to flynn.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Are these tab keys? or  \| keys?

They are bottom row 1.5-unit keys.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
I didn't know SmallFry personally, but the guy was all over Geekhack.

Reading this only confirms how implicated he was and how GH was important to him.

In the same way, it means that many people here, and the community in itself, was very important to him.

From what I understand, this key was only the symbol to remind us that GH is such a fun place because of the people making it a fun place.

The best we can do is make sure it stays like that!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
edited 1st post with clarifications about key size (1.5x mod), manufacture (SP), & availability(anyone on GH, 1st come basis when they appear in the classifieds)
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Sounds fitting. I hope you do something noble with the proceeds.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline shawn o

Wow, this is the first I've heard of his death. Had no idea how young he was, how very sad.

I see death everyday, young and old. Death never becomes "normal" and you never get used to it. Everyone has a story and their passing is always hard on their families, friends, and even people they may hardly know.

This is no exception...
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 16:18:03 by shawn o »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
So I think its appropriate that these will now be known as the SmallFry Friends & Family Tribute key

+1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
A fitting tribute

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
If they were originally intended to be given away for free to the members of the community, then shouldn't they?... It feels kinda wrong to charge money for them, even though the money will be going to his family or charity of their choice. People can always donate out of their own generosity, they don't need a special key in return to do something noble. Just my 2 cents on the matter.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline OddOne

Just wanted to write here quick I was happy to play a small part in the M3 key project.  But now am just as happy to see this turn into tribute for SmallFry and support inlikeflynn with however he decides to share the keys with the community.
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
This is amazing. I still remember when I got my first key and all the interest it stirred. It felt good to be a part of something, even if I didn't know what it was. I eagerly made a post and then wasted a lot of time trying to help people figure out more about it. Then it sorta-turned kinda lame what will elitism and all.

But to see what was achieved, to be a part of this, that was important.

And now I learn that it was the goal all along! to bring GH closer together. I think dedicating M3 to smallfry is excellent, and I would like to help out in whatever way I can.

Thank you inlikeflynn. You are an inspiration to us all.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
It's so sad, I can believe he's dead. I'm in finals week at uni and haven't been really active at IRC or the forum just for this last two week, but I used to connect to the IRC channel everyday and he was always there. We exchanged words once in a while.

My deepest respects to him. He was just a kid.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 04:03:36 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Nice gesture Flynn. I'll be keeping my eye on the the classifieds.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline ImperfectLink

If they were originally intended to be given away for free to the members of the community, then shouldn't they?... It feels kinda wrong to charge money for them, even though the money will be going to his family or charity of their choice. People can always donate out of their own generosity, they don't need a special key in return to do something noble. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I understand your sentiment, but I see it as a badge of privilege, like the Livestrrong bracelet (maybe not the best example). Perhaps they could be offered with a minimum price but the amount could be open for larger donations. Really you're paying to cover the initial production,  shipping and handling sort of like the way non-profits operate.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.

I understand your sentiment, but I see it as a badge of privilege, like the Livestrrong bracelet (maybe not the best example). Perhaps they could be offered with a minimum price but the amount could be open for larger donations. Really you're paying to cover the initial production,  shipping and handling sort of like the way non-profits operate.

I agree....I'd love to make a big donation and I think the Smallfry tribute key is an awesome vehicle to raise some money in Nate's memory for charity, etc.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Show Image

i agree with this wholeheartedly

flynn asked me to review this post before he put it up but i knew i'd just break down crying and it would take him longer to post it. let's get this going. for nate.

imo, the money should go to the charity of his family's choice. i believe that's the ronald mcdonald foundation.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:11:35 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
I rock one of these on my keyboard :)  I'll take pictures tonight.

Love the key, and I'd totally get a few more.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Show Image

i agree with this wholeheartedly

flynn asked me to review this post before he put it up but i knew i'd just break down crying and it would take him longer to post it. let's get this going. for nate.

imo, the money should go to the charity of his family's choice. i believe that's the ronald mcdonald foundation.

+1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
I just read this and got a few tears. Now that I know what these were about I find it pretty heart warming. Very awesome!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Hook me up once you are selling them. I am willing to buy and i don't mind paying for shipping also. This would look totally sick on my Poker II for the Pn key.

I didn't know smallfry much but i'm fairly sure he was pretty badass right?

"And for this unsung hero i shall wield on my [cold steal demon banishing Poker II keyboard of luck + 3 (Brown MX Version)] the [almighty legendary mysterious apocalyptic keycap of million strokes] in memory of his great achievements in the mortal world we are all part of until we die and join his poor soul into the keyboard Valhalla."

(Color for WOW reference)

I'm pretty sure Odin should have a pretty pimped out keyboard by now.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline mr. rampage

I'm new here, but this SmallFry sounds like a very top notch guy. I'd definitely be in to get a few of these caps. At the most it's a bit of inspiration on how we can still connect as people online. Thanks for sharing the story.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
I rock one of these on my keyboard :)  I'll take pictures tonight.

Love the key, and I'd totally get a few more.

Well it is a bit late but I actually rock 2...

RIP Small Fry

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
time for a long overdue update!

After the Nathaniel J. Walter Foundation is in place and functioning as a non-profit (read more about it here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47366.msg1008698#msg1008698 ) the F&F keys will be going up for auction with 100% of the proceeds going to the foundation. Nate's father Scott is working on getting this setup, but it takes time and we don't have a date yet when it will be complete.

The auction will be for a small number of special F&F limited edition packages each containing:
-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
-4 authentic Cherry transparent top black MX switches

----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech

After the Nathaniel J. Walter Foundation is in place and functioning as a non-profit (read more about it here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47366.msg1008698#msg1008698 ) the F&F keys will be going up for auction with 100% of the proceeds going to the foundation. Nate's father Scott is working on getting this setup, but it takes time and we don't have a date yet when it will be complete.

The auction will be for a small number of special F&F limited edition packages each containing:
-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
Show Image

Will it only be auctions or will there be fixed price?
I'd rather pay fix cause auctions turns me off.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

You know this is for a charity right? Are you saying you want SmallFry's family to have less money to do what they want?

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen

-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
Show Image

probably all auctions, it's the easiest way to get the most money to the charity

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
MTManiac gets it

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

You know this is for a charity right? Are you saying you want SmallFry's family to have less money to do what they want?

I thought SmallFry didn't like auctions.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby

-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
Show Image

This is a fantastic package you've put together inlikeflynn. These are going to sell out in seconds.

Offline Xenderwind

-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
Show Image

This is a fantastic package you've put together inlikeflynn. These are going to sell out in seconds.
Auctions don't work like that XD.  I'm kinda interested in these but I'm dreading how high the bids are going to go if there are indeed only a few sets up for auction.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Auctions don't work like that XD.  I'm kinda interested in these but I'm dreading how high the bids are going to go if there are indeed only a few sets up for auction.

Doh! Totally missed the auction part. Thanks for the correction Xenderwind.

Yeah, these are going to sell for a really high price.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
Show Image

Will the auction include every remaining F&F key?  I thought there were many of them, but this post mentions a limited quantity.  I am all for auctions especially with such a great cause, but that will effectively ensure that those of us without large pockets won't be able to acquire such a unique and meaningful key.  Or is there something else in mind in addition to the auction?  Once again, pro-auction, just curious.   :thumb:

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.

-4 F&F keys
-4 F&F stickers
Show Image

An awesome auction for an awesome cause.  I will be sure to throw in a high bid...I miss having Nate on IRC.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)