Author Topic: How often do you swap keycaps?  (Read 16506 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
How often do you swap keycaps?
« on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 02:39:36 »
We have a couple of threads already about swapping keyboards.

How often do you swap keycaps on the keyboard you are using (full sets or just customs)?

Full sets: I tend to keep a set on until I get a new set to replace it.

Customs: These I put on when I get them, keep them for a week or two, and then swap for something else I found in my collection.  Every now and again I will revert to all stock caps (or all caps from whatever set is on there at the time).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
Re: How often do you swap keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 05:08:05 »
I don't like swapping. I will use my cherry ds sets until they become as shiny as the sun!

Offline Austin Powers

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 05:28:36 »
Once in a lifetime. Unless there is corrosion or undefined situation. If it's sweat stain, maybe I wash it but I'm not swapping to another brand new ones because they're thick pbt.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 05:30:01 »
I normally only swap clacks (on esc position)

Offline Martyr

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 05:40:37 »
Don't have any key sets, but swap novelty's in and out nearly everyday. Depends how I'm feeling.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 05:42:30 »
Heh just sitting back and waiting for someone to say "I never switch keycaps, I just buy a new keyboard to put the new keycaps on" ;) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Austin Powers

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 06:08:33 »
Heh just sitting back and waiting for someone to say "I never switch keycaps, I just buy a new keyboard to put the new keycaps on" ;) :))

That's my dad, I persuade him to change those keycaps and he says "why buy $95 thick pbt keycaps when you can change them?"
He's not a touch-typist though, so he doesn't know how various types of keycap construction works. I wanted to change mine because ABS grips my finger and prevents them from sliding to another key to actuate the other keystroke.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 06:10:25 by Austin Powers »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 06:18:17 »
Whenever a new GMK set comes out ;)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 06:22:26 »
When i feel bored

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 15:16:03 »
Whenever I find GMK for cheap.

Hasn't happened yet.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LaugeGregers

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 15:17:27 »
I've not replaced my keys with a full set yet, though I do like to swap customs when I get bored/annoyed, which is around once a month.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 15:28:19 »
Swap every day

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 15:36:42 »
I keep my poker and LZGH pretty much the same all the time but I swap novelties on my Vomit race that I take to work and back all the time. Also when I would watch an episode of Breaking Bad, that set would go into my page up/down cluster on my LZGH until the end of the episode then it switched back to all klaxon.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 02:17:15 »
Thus far, never.  Then again, I have none to swap around.

Yet.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 02:19:31 »

Yet.

You will ... you will ... ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 03:27:19 »

Yet.

You will ... you will ... ;)

I accept this fate.  The Dasher 200 color scheme calls to me.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 13:24:45 »

.... I thought this was everyone............................................................ :-[
c h e r

Offline Kabuks

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 14:28:22 »
Rarely I usually just buy another board when I get a new keyset.  :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 14:32:03 »
I swap keycaps after every keystroke.  This post took 45 minutes to compose.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 14:46:08 »
Just swapped a couple keys for the first time yesterday. Added a WASD cluster to my Leopold to mitigate the additional wear and staining, and a red Esc just cause.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 18:29:49 »
Just whenever I buy new sets I guess.  So I'll use it until the next set arrives.

Though I don't buy keycap set that frequent so probably twice a year or so.  :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 19:17:07 »
I went through my keycap box the other day and found a few keycaps I forgot I had, so I swapped one or two of them onto my current board.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 20:23:32 »
Like almost never, and when I do it's usually just some other color modifier or wasd or something. I have this white on black Cherry set on my daily that I've been using for a few years now, that has followed 3 keyboards. They are all shiny and slick... and I have several other Cherry sets that are like new sitting in boxes mostly on other keyboards I don't use. I just can't be bothered :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 00:30:33 »
Like almost never, and when I do it's usually just some other color modifier or wasd or something. I have this white on black Cherry set on my daily that I've been using for a few years now, that has followed 3 keyboards. They are all shiny and slick... and I have several other Cherry sets that are like new sitting in boxes mostly on other keyboards I don't use. I just can't be bothered :))

Also sounds like you have found a set that you are happy with.

The BumbleBee set is close for me (especially being yellow), but I'm eager to see what the PBT dyesub R2 set is like.

Offline frogamic

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 19:35:48 »
I rearrange and swap my novelties as a form of procrastination
Filco TKL | Filco ISO105 | Acer 6311-K71

Offline ctbear

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 13:24:07 »
Usually when I feel the caps are getting dirty and I need to clean them...since I have to take them all out anyways I might as well switch to another set.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 13:27:07 »
swapping caps is bad for the switch/solder joint/pcb   whole keyboard in general...   You don't do this unless you HAVE TO..

Unless you don't love your keyboard...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:13:42 »
swapping caps is bad for the switch/solder joint/pcb   whole keyboard in general...   You don't do this unless you HAVE TO..

Show Image

That's the sort of thing I was wondering about.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:29:44 »

Show Image

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 15:05:49 »

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

If you love your keyboard... then you must stop

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 15:26:03 »
Maybe I hate my keyboard and want it to suffer...

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 15:54:26 »
If you hate it, just hang it on the wall of your local community college with a sign above it reading "how many words per minute can you twerk?"

In answer to the OP's question, I have not swapped mine yet, I expect to do so when I find something better than the set included with my ErgoDox group buy at a not insane price.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 15:59:32 by xmagusx »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:19:40 »
6 months.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:21:34 »
Whenever a new GMK set comes out ;)
This didn't age well, haven't bought a GMK set since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 20:45:10 »
I think every 3-4 months. When I get bored with the set.
I used to have 4 keyboards, but sold most of them and now have two. I think I have 6 sets of SA and one retro Cherry.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:49:01 »
I think every 3-4 months. When I get bored with the set.
I used to have 4 keyboards, but sold most of them and now have two. I think I have 6 sets of SA and one retro Cherry.

When I find a set that I like, I will stick with it for quite a bit. I used Skeletor for a solid two years. I have been using WoB quite a bit.

On my hhkb, I swap about every two months.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 21:57:45 »
I went through my keycap box the other day and found a few keycaps I forgot I had, so I swapped one or two of them onto my current board.

I went through my storage unit the other day and found boxes of keycaps I forgot I had.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 05:37:23 »
I can't swap keycaps since most of them do not ship to canada  :(

Offline Gabbzan

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 16:47:31 »
i've never swapped keycaps except artisans :/

Offline Bahm78

• https://blog.naver.com/hjg7808
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 02:55:28 »
When I was first interested, I changed often, but ...
It's very annoying now. Even if I buy a new one, I don't change it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:04:45 »
i've never swapped keycaps except artisans :/

I like the OEM look of some keyboards.  Of course, other keyboards have atrocious keycaps that are asking to be changed.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:05:10 »
When I was first interested, I changed often, but ...
It's very annoying now. Even if I buy a new one, I don't change it.

I've swapped a couple around recently - I find it somewhat relaxing :)

Offline DivineElegy

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 16:11:40 »
i don't swap very often but i've ordered a ton of different keycap sets lately so we'll see :p

Offline ARKEYS

• ARKEYS-store
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 23:16:18 »
When i feel bored

could't agree more  ;D

Offline phinix

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 07:58:04 »
For some reason I get bored every few months.
I noticed lately I have put away my favourite Realforce with SA Carbon and I've been using GMMK ISO TKL with Tealios v2 and retro Cherry white and beige.

I thought I would never like RGB keyboards, but this GMMK looks so nice, colors set to wave motion and even with non-transparent caps, it looks nice. Maybe I'm getting old... ;)
Only thing that bugs me with this GMMK is that it has opened/uncovered switches - I don't like it, I prefer full bodied case/chassis.
So lookign forward to my lately ordered KBD8X Mk2. Will solder in those Tealios and put on purchased GMK Space Cadet.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 20:21:12 »
why are we posting in this 6 year old thread
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 20:29:34 »
haven't swapped the lz-s' caps in like 6 years :) only added some more clacks.
I love Elzy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 21:29:23 »
I don't like swapping. I will use my cherry ds sets until they become as shiny as the sun!

+1 for og cherry ds until they shine as diamonds.

Offline phinix

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 10:51:35 »
why are we posting in this 6 year old thread

cause its interesting to see how often peeps swap their caps:)

Offline yuppie

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 11:06:33 »
Probably around every two months I'll rotate out one set for another. It's usually tied to getting new artisans and wanting to match different colors together.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist