Author Topic: Nerd60 PCB not working after spring swap  (Read 1359 times)

Offline eddible

Nerd60 PCB not working after spring swap
« on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 06:40:49 »
I fixed it! Blimey, what a weird problem. So I found a thread from GON where he had suggested holding down the escape key when plugging in the cable if you were having issues flashing the PCB. This didn't work for me, but did make me think that maybe the escape key was an important switch to the board operating properly. I noticed that the MX cross on top of the escape key switch was broken so I replaced it and now the entire board works! So weird, I can only assume the connection on the escape key wasn't being made and without the escape, the entire board won't work. Weird ay?

---
Hey all,
I swapped all the springs on my previously working GON Nerd60 PCB. Problem is, following the spring swap, the keyboard doesn't work anymore! Windows makes the hardware noise to say it's detected something but in device manager, I can't seem to find what it's appearing as and similarly Nerdy GUI doesn't detect it. I'm a bit baffled as to how a spring swap could cause the entire board to stop working. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2016, 09:54:08 by eddible »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Nerd60 PCB not working after spring swap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 07:13:31 »
That is strange.  Does windows say what it thinks it's done - 'ready to use', 'there is a problem...' or something about current?

Did you take it out of the case and possibly knock off a component related to the power circuit for the controller?  It might flash up but fail to register as a proper device needing full current, not sure that would show in the list....
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline eddible

Re: Nerd60 PCB not working after spring swap
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 07:30:42 »
That is strange.  Does windows say what it thinks it's done - 'ready to use', 'there is a problem...' or something about current?

Did you take it out of the case and possibly knock off a component related to the power circuit for the controller?  It might flash up but fail to register as a proper device needing full current, not sure that would show in the list....

Nothing, Windows seems fine with it really. Device Manager refreshes when I plug it in and adds entries to the Human Interface Devices section but I can't get any of GON's tools to do anything with it. I've looked at the PCB and I can't see anything obvious that could be causing this.