Poll

Let's vote on an option...

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3

Author Topic: [IC] SA Berserk by Maxkey - Intl. GB active!  (Read 74488 times)

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
Re: [IC] Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 15:52:02 »
Really liking the look of 03, it looks so clean with the white modifiers.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 01:28:51 »
White legends, I tested a mockup with black legends but didn't really like it.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 02:04:12 »
Dunno, the white legends aren't bad but they tend to lose something in comparison to the orange legends.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 03:35:00 »
Dunno, the white legends aren't bad but they tend to lose something in comparison to the orange legends.
I guess it's a choice between safer colors and being more faithful to the source material. I'll wait for more feedbacks, thanks. :)

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 08:30:52 by thesiscamper »

Offline RinSama269

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:16:32 »
The white legends gives a cleaner look while the orange legends gives the keyset some personality to it...

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 03:33:53 »
While I like the way the white looks, I think sticking with the orange legends is best for this set. After all, these keys are a themed set like Troubled Minds.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 08:53:29 »
 Yes I do see more now why you chose the colors originally Thesiscamper and I retract the earlier comment. Good thing we are still "just talking" amongst us girls in the IC thread.

+1 for creativity with red and orange. I just was experiencing orange shock I guess. I love both renders by the way, and I now better understand that we have to keep the theme to the art of the set.

Carry on peeps.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 12:15:28 »
May I suggest an addition to the characters represented by this color scheme?

This keyset matches the color scheme of the Bionicle character Tahu quite well. A couple Bionicle / Tahu themed novelties would totally sell me on this set, as if Unit 02 wasn't enough already. :P I just wanted to throw this out there in case there are other Bionicle fans here who would like to see this.

Either way, this set is an awesome followup to the Unit 01 set. Great work, thesiscamper!
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline tassadarforaiur

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 17:46:21 »
May I suggest an addition to the characters represented by this color scheme?

This keyset matches the color scheme of the Bionicle character Tahu quite well. A couple Bionicle / Tahu themed novelties would totally sell me on this set, as if Unit 02 wasn't enough already. :P I just wanted to throw this out there in case there are other Bionicle fans here who would like to see this.

Show Image

Either way, this set is an awesome followup to the Unit 01 set. Great work, thesiscamper!

I had no idea how much I wanted that until you brought it up.

Please Thesiscamper?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 00:03:40 »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll look into it. :)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 12:33:40 »
The white legends gives a cleaner look while the orange legends gives the keyset some personality to it...

I think that summarizes it very well.  I'm enjoying the personality more though both look good.

Offline Corusco

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 23:36:05 »
So, as silly as it might be, I've been thinking over these colors for a couple days (or at least when I swing by GH). The white legends do look very clean, and I feel the white is still thematically on-point as Unit 02 in the original series still has white on its face, and the Flash logo is classically rendered on a white circle. I'll concede the Iron Man tie would be a stretch. In terms of design, the white legends are an improvement on the orange as the contrast is better, so the legends are more easily readable. Since the orange and red are tonally similar, the legends get a little muddled in the sea of red.

THAT SAID, I do think it's also very important to keep the personality of the orange in the set. It sounds like doing all the mods orange might be too cheesy(har), but what about maybe just the bottom row mods, or maybe bottom row/shifts? I don't want to throw too many options out and make it harder, especially considering the time renders take. I'm in for this set any way you do it.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 01:12:01 »
Thank you, this will probably be decided in a poll. I'll also provide a more direct comparison of the two options

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 19:33:39 »
Another consideration for keeping some orange in the mix would be to have the number row use orange.  Something akin to the black number row keys for Skull Squadron.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 19:40:41 »
Thank you, this will probably be decided in a poll. I'll also provide a more direct comparison of the two options

Regardless, you should either do an "Iron Man" key-set because I know for a fact, it'll go straight into LZ's latest Iron Man Keyboard  8) .

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 19:43:55 »

Regardless, you should either do an "Iron Man" key-set because I know for a fact, it'll go straight into LZ's latest Iron Man Keyboard  8) .
Yep, the original plan was The Flash, Iron Man and Unit 02. I'll have to check what other novelties I can come up with, and then decide what to take out if pricing becomes an issue. :)

Offline bunraku

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 02:11:03 »
I can't wait  :D :D

Offline rmw2013

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 11:40:51 »
I know I'd be down for any of the Unit 02 mock ups.

Same.

Offline Ripx77

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 21:03:41 »
Oh man, the Flash set is calling my name! Insta-buy for me, and be sure to pile on the novelties too!

Offline bunraku

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 00:26:11 »
I know I'd be down for any of the Unit 02 mock ups.

Same.

Nice avatar  ;D ;D
I miss Troubled Minds SA :-[

Offline JDragon

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:54:53 »
The white modifiers and orange text looks gorgeous. Definitely down for one if it comes out. Hoping for uniform SA, there's lots of sculpted SA and DSA but few sets in between.

Offline ScottieLK

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 13:19:02 »
These look great but I would like to say that I'm also *really* interested in a blue unit 00 set like you mentioned a ways up

Varmilo VA87MR

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 11:25:31 »
Trying my hand on designing cases, and this set is the first victim  :))

Offline Jedi

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:46:31 »
I like it Thesiscamper. That is definitely an original. Does the color work if you use white legends on the red alpha keys?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:44:42 »
I like it Thesiscamper. That is definitely an original. Does the color work if you use white legends on the red alpha keys?

I've already tried that, I checked and I've actually made a mockup with white legends months ago. The consensus is while white legends look cleaner, the set has more personality with orange legends.

Oh and obviously the case profile is hardly seen, it's just an idea and hardly original, maybe I'll try more otherworldly cases next-time. :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 18:47:52 by thesiscamper »

Offline GiveCandyy

[IC] Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:08:43 »
Maybe one day there will be a unit 08
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline ScottieLK

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 12:47:03 »
Is there an update on the GB timeline?

Varmilo VA87MR

Offline gutsack

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 13:07:42 »
Registering interest.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 21:20:18 »
Hi guys, just realized this topic has been dormant for more than a year. I know some people are waiting for Troubled Minds, but SP queue is too long and Massdrop doesn't really like to deal with niche of a niche products anymore that won't sell thousands (look at GMK SNES). This other set has just been given a new lease on life, and I'm currently working with people keen on having it produced. I have the latest mock-ups, and currently have 3 colorway options. I have my preference, but I'd like some community feedback too.

Tentative name I have for this set is "Berserk" and mainly a Unit 02 set. I'll probably be adding extra kits for The Flash and Iron Man novelties though.

Color Codes:

Red: 188C
Bright Red: 187C
Yellow: 7563C

Option 1 - Yellow on Red Alphas and Red on White Mods

Option 2 - White on Red Alphas, Red on White Mods and Red on Yellow Accents

Option 3 - White on Bright Red Alphas, Bright Red on White Mods and Bright Red on Yellow Accents

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 July 2017, 21:30:58 by thesiscamper »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
keyboards.

Offline Jedi

Re: [IC] SA Berserk [Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset]
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 22:03:34 »
I vote keep working the white on red (WoR) design you have here.  It has that Skull Squadron appeal to it without it being the same.  The GH key is cool, but its really hard to tell what it is even after production, would like to request something else though it could be argued its your signature cap for your profile series.  Maybe a white stripe bar on top for the number row?  I know you are not big on "Win" keys but please consider one for those who use a TKL format.  Also, the burgundy as opposed to a deep red but honestly would consider it either way.

Offline ullr

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 22:36:37 »
Well I'm in because I love NGE, but it's a shame to hear that about Troubled Minds since I was still hoping to buy a set for under $500

Offline ullr

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 22:41:55 »
Personally I like yellow on red, but whatever is closest thematically to Unit 02 is ideal. More red and a few dark purple and black keys would be nice as well.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 22:45:24 »
I'm only in for option 1
I love Elzy

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:00:47 »
Option 2. And maybe bring this back next? https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/c128.0.768.768/12558744_946461198723920_754383592_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE3NzIxNzIxMjgxODk0MzE1OQ%3D%3D.2.c  :p

It's not cancelled, but I have to do it one by one (and hopefully not years apart :D)

I vote keep working the white on red (WoR) design you have here.  It has that Skull Squadron appeal to it without it being the same.  The GH key is cool, but its really hard to tell what it is even after production, would like to request something else though it could be argued its your signature cap for your profile series.  Maybe a white stripe bar on top for the number row?  I know you are not big on "Win" keys but please consider one for those who use a TKL format.  Also, the burgundy as opposed to a deep red but honestly would consider it either way.

There are "WIN" keys in the kit if that's what you mean, it will be one big kit and then extra novelties for The Flash and Iron Man... and yes the Esc novelty is kind of the signature cap for these "series" of sets, especially since it was developed here in geekhack.

Well I'm in because I love NGE, but it's a shame to hear that about Troubled Minds since I was still hoping to buy a set for under $500

Yes I know, not many sets were made (not too few either but you get it) and for those who want it they have to pay exorbitant prices which is sad.

Personally I like yellow on red, but whatever is closest thematically to Unit 02 is ideal. More red and a few dark purple and black keys would be nice as well.

The black keys fit the Seele novelty like in my older mock-ups, but I tried to keep it as simple as possible as this is already a loud set in terms of color.

I'm only in for option 1

Noted, thanks.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:02:55 by thesiscamper »

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:05:28 »
option 1, by far the best......

Offline Geckt

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:08:25 »
Option 2 please, option 3 seems overly saturated with the orange legends.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:14:42 »
Option 1 + Novelties ; def going in when it goes live

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:31:23 »
Thanks for the feedback guys, please note that the yellow accent keys can be easily added to Option 1 if you want those.

Offline bciamny

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 23:56:39 »
Thanks for the feedback guys, please note that the yellow accent keys can be easily added to Option 1 if you want those.

was going to voice for exactly this.

seems like a maxkeys production based on "escape" and "scroll lock"? it'd be nice to get abbreviations for those keys as molds for maxkeys. they kind of look odd to me.

nevertheless, this is really amazing and it'd be cool if there were a number row kit with a different color from the other keys? like the inverse of option 1 alphas (so red on yellow).

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 00:02:09 »

was going to voice for exactly this.

seems like a maxkeys production based on "escape" and "scroll lock"? it'd be nice to get abbreviations for those keys as molds for maxkeys. they kind of look odd to me.

nevertheless, this is really amazing and it'd be cool if there were a number row kit with a different color from the other keys? like the inverse of option 1 alphas (so red on yellow).

Yes this will not be SP, this will be made by Maxkey. I know people have reservations, but I have two Maxkey sets and I must say their caps look a lot better than the SP caps I've seen. The legends need work, but they are already getting some keys fixed. Molds are expensive though so this will be a process that will take months, most likely faster than SP fixing their legends though. The first fixes should be available in a few months, just in time for this set.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 04:11:29 »
This is exactly what I want! 🤡
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 04:31:28 »
Yesss I love this. I would love it even more if the alpha legends were white like the modifiers. genesis novelties for the win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 08:52:22 »
Definitely option 1 with yellow accents.  Also would you mind adding a second 2.25u Shift for FC660 compatibility?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 09:47:11 »
It appears I am in the minority here but the only option that screams "Berserk" to me personally is number 3 - the bright blood red seems far more appropriate than the duller shades of the other 2 sets (though I'd probably still be in for number 2, 1 really doesn't do it for me).

Very interested in Flash novelties either way, though.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 10:43:12 »
Definitely option 1 with yellow accents.  Also would you mind adding a second 2.25u Shift for FC660 compatibility?

I'll see what I can do, and find out what can or can not be currently done, e.g. adding an extras kit.

It appears I am in the minority here but the only option that screams "Berserk" to me personally is number 3 - the bright blood red seems far more appropriate than the duller shades of the other 2 sets (though I'd probably still be in for number 2, 1 really doesn't do it for me).

Very interested in Flash novelties either way, though.

The darker and duller red is mostly from the Rebuild colors. I'll be checking the actual Pantone codes from the booklet tomorrow at work.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:16:18 »
The darker and duller red is mostly from the Rebuild colors. I'll be checking the actual Pantone codes from the booklet tomorrow at work.

Oh I see whoops, I'll be honest, I thought the use of the name "berserk" was literal rather than being a character in Evangelion, hence my initial comment. After googling for a bit you're right, the duller colours do fit - I'm still a much bigger fan of the brighter scheme but it's perfectly understandable if you rather go with the one that fits the actual theme you have in mind best!

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 12:25:43 »
I'm ecstatic you decided to re-poll these after last year. I'm 100% in for any of your Evangelion group buys.

Offline Petch

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:48:03 »
Let me know when you do a set for the real best girl  ;)

Offline yb

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 20:26:40 »
I hope more yellow in novelties