Author Topic: VHD Designer Keyboard is better than 98% of split board?  (Read 71518 times)

Offline vexchow

VHD Designer Keyboard is better than 98% of split board?
« on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:46:16 »
It is called Designer Keyboard.

Split BLE QMK ergo Keyboard!

PRETTY
VHD Form Study
VHD Optimisation Design
Thin Edge Slim
Small and Light

POWER
Two-handed Work Style
Module System With Pro Stand
Incredible Logic Board
QMK Programmable

COMFORT
Ergonomic Design
48 and 68 Keys
Split Design
Cherry Mx Switches

https://www.vexc-how-design.com/overview

2021-04-13 update
Batch 1 & 2 were sold out. Thanks so much!

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2021, 15:58:05 by vexchow »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: My new design keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 16:02:13 »
It's a nice enough design, if a little plain. I'm curious about how the project is going to progress, as I can see you had an uncuccessful kickstarter for it last year.

From what I can see, you've priced this fairly highly and I'd possibly consider it too expensive for what I see. The 68-key version you're showing on your site with a proposed price of £466 (inc VAT) not including the stands and that it's a 3D printed case. When you consider that you can get an ErgoDox Ez, with tilt kit, wrist rests, LEDs, for £265, so yes, I'm a little concerned that you've priced too highly. Granted, it's an inverted curve, which there aren't many of, which increases complexity, and yes, you've got BLE, etc., but that's £200 more for a 3D printed model. I don't know that I could personally justify that. I can see that you took advice from the previous interest check you made to add QMK support this time, which is good, at least.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2020, 16:05:16 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline vexchow

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 22:04:37 »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for you are interested in my project.
After kickstarter, I try to upgrade the Designer Keyboard, so I redesign the hardware and software.

Some people said it is expensive, and others told me can't imagine... it is so cheap!
As you said, Designer Keyboard has split bluetooth, concave finger Area and match with pro stand for no travelling and two-hand work style. Hard to find some similar functions like that, therefore some fans love it very much!
Ergodox EZ is wired, flat, and easy to find some similar functions keyboard for it.

I show you one example.
EarPods - Wired - £29 vs Airpod Pro - Split Bluetooth -£250

And more examples.
MALTRON - Wired, concave finger Area - £435
Keymouse - 3D printed case, Split Bluetooth, Flat, with mouse - USD 599-725

Designer Keyboard 68 pre-order - £466(inc tax), up to £100 off, and 10% of the profit will be donated to NHS and Hong Kong Watch.

And we offer 2 models keyboard and 8 versions for Pro Stand this time.
Therefore, 3D printed case is suited for small batch production.
If many people buy it, we will upgrade to injection molding case in the future.

Thanks, I am happy to take good advice for making good design!

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 02:20:16 »
I could be wrong, but BT split concave cases seem to be very rare. A significant premium for BT doesn't seem unreasonable.

More to the point though is whether there is demand for wireless in this already sub, sub niche of the keyboard market. BT seems to be a popular thing that people keep asking for in the mech board market,
but when I started a thread several months ago asking whether people really use their small keyboards in a portable fashion, only one person mentioned that they really required portability. The rest of the respondents were firmly deskbound to one location. This led me to conclude that people clamouring for Bluetooth are more interested in aesthetics than really needing the functionality to carry around and use with phones or tablets, so paying an extra $150 or so might not make sense for many prospective buyers.

The design with the rests for other devices is definitely very cool.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 04:24:45 »
Some people said it is expensive, and others told me can't imagine... it is so cheap!
As you said, Designer Keyboard has split bluetooth, concave finger Area and match with pro stand for no travelling and two-hand work style. Hard to find some similar functions like that, therefore some fans love it very much!
Ergodox EZ is wired, flat, and easy to find some similar functions keyboard for it.

I can't argue that it's concave and there aren't many of those, though that since you can get a built-to-order Dactyl/Manuform for £257, I still maintain my point that the price is too high. Yes, those aren't bluetooth, but regarding portability and weight, I'm personally not sure that (as Jamster mentions) many people are looking for one to travel with. From experience, taking split beyboards to and from work ended up being so annoying that I just bought a second one for home. Regardless of weight, their shape makes them awkward to stick in a bag compared to a standard shaped board.

I show you one example.
EarPods - Wired - £29 vs Airpod Pro - Split Bluetooth -£250

I'd call this a false equivalence, firstly you've got Wired vs Top-Tier Wireless - Apple's entry level Airpods are only £150, not £250. That's besides the point though, because I've purchased AirPod alternatives for £30 that have BT5 LE and wireless charging - it's never fair to equate things to Apple pricing. So I'd contest that adding Bluetooth does not in fact raise the cost by £200, nowhere near that. It looks like you're using something similar to an Adafruit Feather for the controller, which adds maybe £20 to the cost compared to standard pro-micros. Then you've got a battery as well, but those aren't all that expensive. I figure an extra £50 over the parts price of a non-BT keyboard.

And more examples.
MALTRON - Wired, concave finger Area - £435
Keymouse - 3D printed case, Split Bluetooth, Flat, with mouse - USD 599-725

I'd contest that this is also false equivalence, what you're showing here. You can't really compare to Maltron because A) their keyboard are battleship sized slabs with far more buttons and B) they don't actually make split keyboards - you'd be looking at £295 though, not £435, for one of their single-hand keyboards, designed to be used with just one hand, if buying new.

I will grant you that the KeyMouse IS more expensive, you're looking at about £500 for their midrange. That's only £34 more expensive than your board though, has more keys, and has a trackball built in to each hand, which makes them significantly more complex. They also use an RF connection between the two halves so that they stay synced. I can't see that you've mentioned anywhere how yours will talk to each other?

I could be wrong, but BT split concave cases seem to be very rare. A significant premium for BT doesn't seem unreasonable.

You're right, they're pretty rare, I would argue against BT adding a significant premium though. You're looking at a BT compatible SOC for the controller and a battery, if you take that into account for both sides of the keyboard, I don't see it justifying that much of a price premium, if I'm honest.

I agree with this, at least, that is quite cool, though I'm not sure how practical I'd find it on the day-to-day.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 04:27:51 by -Jerry- »

Offline vexchow

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 15:37:17 »

I believe wireless devices is the future.
And all the final version products will become wireless.
So, I designed Designer Keyboard, split bluetooth and concave case.

Some people know the cost of split bluetooth and concave are expensive.
That's why they said the pre-order price is cheap.

More to the point though is whether there is demand for wireless in this already sub, sub niche of the keyboard market. BT seems to be a popular thing that people keep asking for in the mech board market,
but when I started a thread several months ago asking whether people really use their small keyboards in a portable fashion, only one person mentioned that they really required portability. The rest of the respondents were firmly deskbound to one location. This led me to conclude that people clamouring for Bluetooth are more interested in aesthetics than really needing the functionality to carry around and use with phones or tablets, so paying an extra $150 or so might not make sense for many prospective buyers.

Alright, Bluetooth is not only good for travel.
For example, Designer Keyboard can connect to most bluetooth products, such as iphone, ipad, mac, E-ink-reader and TV.
And easy switching to connected devices.
Wired devices make your desk messy, bluetooth keep a neat desk.

The split design keeps wrists at a neutral angle.
Also creates a golden space for your notebook, document and coffee ... etc.

You see, split bluetooth is powerful!

Thanks, haha :thumb:

Offline vexchow

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 16:02:46 »
Hi Jerry,

I know your points are reasonable but sorry I don't reply to it one by one.
I try to make it simple, so I made a table for comparing split ergo keyboards on the market.

I try to make a beautiful, powerful, comfortable... and off course good price keyboard for user.
I hope you love it.

If you don't, I will keep work hard and improve my design.
Maybe one day you will love it. :thumb:

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 16:44:08 »
Yes, I noticed that on your web page, though I can't seem to find it now, so thank you for providing it.

I notice that some of the things you've put there are extremely subjective and are definitely what I'd call marketing speak .

'Beautiful Form Design' - I find particularly weird, I'd say that the the Keyboardio has a particularly beautiful wooden form and the Ergogox Ez is pretty nice on the eyes. Why the X for them?

Thin Edge Slim - Compared to what? The Keymouse has almost no edge and the Ergogox's wrist wrest is the same rough shape as yours. Why the X for them?

Pro Stand For Other Devices - Sure, but this is a unique feature, so it's not really a fair thing to put on a comparison. Also, according to your website, those are 'optional' so I assume they cost extra and therefore shouldn't be included as part of a price comparison.

Two-Handed Work Style - This seems pretty unspecific. I'm using a two handed work style typing on a 60% board right now, in fact I almost always use two hands. Are the Ergodox or Keyboardio Model 01 not two handed? Maybe you mean that you don't ever have to take your hands off? Well then the Keymouse is definitely two-handed in that case. Also, since you have to buy your pro stand AND provide your own mouse or trackpad, you can't really offer that as a selling point in a price/feature comparison.

Switching To Connected Devices - You don't really expand on this, so I assume you mean that the BT chip can store five different device profiles? Fair enough, that's a good feature. There's not really any reason the Keymouse can't be connected to from any device though.

I'd argue that you also highlight unique features about your board, while not indicating anything that those boards have that yours doesn't. Things like LEDs might not be important to you, but the Model 01 and the Ergodox Ez both feature those and that is arguably a part of their value. In fact, if you're not putting that on the chart, the Ergodox Ez should be $325, not $354. For that price, the Ergodox also has adjustable tenting, rather than a fixed angle, so that's worth mentioning, I feel.

I'm not in any way criticising the design of you board, I think you've done great work designing it, have come up with a great website, and are clearly good at marketing it. I just feel that it's important to be transparent about things and not go too heavy on those kinds of comparisons that aren't entirely fair or honest, in my opinion. Tables like that, skewed in a positive fashion towards your product without highlighting any positives of any of the others may be good marketing, but it doesn't seem very classy.

Edit: Also, just because I'm still curious, you didn't answer how the two halves communicate with each other, can you explain?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 16:46:03 by -Jerry- »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:23:25 »

And I do not. If anything would be for me, it would be RF, since I can just plug in a dongle and go. Even then I need to worry about recharging some battery that will eventually fail and need replacing, which may be some kind of proprietary unobtainium pack of cells you may end up having to try to desolder yourself and rebuild. Bluetooth pairing is a hassle, switching between devices once paired is really the only significant benefit if you ask me.

Logitech's unifying receivers are probably my favorite for wireless peripherals, since you can mix and match whatever you like, configure once, and swap to whatever computers you like from there so long as you keep the dongle with those same peripherals.

At the end of the day, I will always prefer just plugging in a cable and using the board they way it is for 10+ years.

This reminds me of the people who said smartphones would replace computers, touchscreens would replace traditional peripherals, etc. There were even people who said that laser-projected keyboards would replace physical ones. Some things are just already better the way that they are.

Also, bluetooth communication was already a cheap feature of just about anything 10+ years ago. If it isn't, it is just markup. Supply and demand may justify that to some, not to me.

Just an outsider's opinion. I don't even care about ergo boards. The board looks cool. I wish you luck.  :thumb:

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:51:14 »
I like the design...I think you're filling in a niche where a few people would really like something like this...

But it is expensive...I'm sure there are some things that make it expensive but it'll be tough for people to risk it unless they know it'll work out for them..and that's a big unknown. 

So you take an unknown company making what looks like a cool keyboard but no way of knowing if you'll really like it (and if you're selling it that means no).   And when someone said it was a 3D printed case it was like meh...

But I do hope this works out for you...this is one of those things I'd love to try out and if it worked out I'd definitely be interested in buying one.....

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:41:12 »

Personally, I want wired. I've been in IT for a fairly long time, and one of the things I have learnt is that for anything really important that needs to last for years, I want the option of a physical cable. My newest laptop purchase was based specifically round this, my keyboards are all wired, my mouse is wireless but has a wired mode (and it's a mouse, it's disposable anyway).

But that's just me, I am definitely old fashioned :)

Thing is though, I don't think that other people really want Bluetooth either. I think it's something that people talk about wanting, but when it's time for the wallet to come out, very few are really prepared to pay extra for it. Most people who want Bluetooth want it at very little incremental cost- when I look around, it's a function built into the cheaper range of keyboards aimed at the younger and more fashion conscious crowd. Anne, Keychron, Varmillo. Good keyboards, sure, but all are sold to a more constrained budget. Look at the people paying 200+ for a Realforce or some whacky custom, and things default back to wired. I guess there's a BT HHKB, that's the only one that occurs to me.

From what I've been able to gather when looking into the weird ergo boards when researching the Dactyl, is that these boards are most likely to appeal to seriously geeky obsessives who code a lot, which means they're generally deskbound and require a fair bit of screen real estate (i.e. not smartphones or tablets).

Anyway, I definitely admire the product you've created. I think it's a very niche product, but it's a good one that is practically unique.

Offline squizzler

• My blog
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 15:59:01 »
Thank you for sharing your creation! The overall concept appeals a bit to me since I must confess a soft spot for the Maltron, which was the originator of such styles and which your design appears to follow quite closely. I must also concur for a product of this complexity (presumably hand wired switches, etc) the quoted price does not seem outrageous. All round a solid looking design. That said, I just can't help but feel that there is something missing from the current proposal that would make it compelling for those after a fancy ergonomic board. At the risk of sounding harsh, the name 'designer keyboard' perhaps sets very high expectations and, whilst not unpleasant, the appearance does not excite me, and I am somebody who likes ergonomic boards. The plain black of the prototype may not be doing it many favours, maybe something could be done with materials and lighting whilst keeping the same design?

The 'pro stands' are an interesting concept but not something that I would commit to online: I am not sure without trying if the position and angle of the trackpad, for instance, would be practical.

Since there are few people bringing forward 'Maltron style' 3D designs I have in the past had a number of thoughts which I would like to see in such a keyboard but might not be relevant to your own vision:
  • Firstly, I there might be the opportunity to do something with the thumb cluster unlike the 'grid' of the Maltron, Kinesis and Dactyl. I would mimic the Keyboardio 'arc'. I also wonder if the Keyboardio palm button should be adopted. I am considering the Keyboardio as my next 'board as I think these aspects of the design are compelling, although my immediate aspiration is for the atreus (for firmware reasons mentioned later).
  • Because it is a 3D design, portability will be its achilles heel, and will go right out the window if customers trick it out with 'pro stand' accessories. I would be tempted to go with a single piece design like Maltron rather than a two piece design. I am currently using a two piece ergonomic and am not convinced it offers benefits over one piece designs, even for portability. In practice I don't separate them so far, certainly not enough to have documents plus both trackpad and 3D mouse in-between. Your aspiration for light weight also invites the likelihood that they would slide about the desk
  • Instead I would look at a 'chassis' onto which mount the keyboard sections, palm rests and feet. Perhaps this 'chassis' might be a simple length of metal tube like a bicycle handlebar on which the brake, gear shifters and grips clamp. In a bicycle setup this method is both robust and allows for easy adjustment to rider position. The individual 'bowls' could be thinner if they are clamped thus rather than with a flat base to rest on the table. Further clamp-on supports for trackpad, 3D mouse or document clipboards could be provided.
  • Firmware. One of the reasons I am thinking of the Keyboardio is that the firmware appears to facilitate options I am struggling to implement in QMK (shapeshifter, a more logical system to establish combos). Would that firmware (Kaleidoscope, also open source) be an option? It would certainly separate the project from the hoi-polloi of QMK based boards.
  • I agree with others that USB (type-c port - excellent!) is more desirable than wireless.
I wish you luck progressing your design, and hope you share future progress with this forum!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2020, 16:28:36 by squizzler »
Running RSTHD on Minidox since 2019

Offline vexchow

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 21:06:03 »
Yes, I noticed that on your web page, though I can't seem to find it now, so thank you for providing it.
I notice that some of the things you've put there are extremely subjective and are definitely what I'd call marketing speak .

Alright, I keep to upload more images and videos for demo and prototype.
And I would like to show you 2019 version video.
please check it, and you may find more reasons why I did it.

'Beautiful Form Design' - I find particularly weird, I'd say that the the Keyboardio has a particularly beautiful wooden form and the Ergogox Ez is pretty nice on the eyes. Why the X for them?

Thin Edge Slim - Compared to what? The Keymouse has almost no edge and the Ergogox's wrist wrest is the same rough shape as yours. Why the X for them?

Pro Stand For Other Devices - Sure, but this is a unique feature, so it's not really a fair thing to put on a comparison. Also, according to your website, those are 'optional' so I assume they cost extra and therefore shouldn't be included as part of a price comparison.

Two-Handed Work Style - This seems pretty unspecific. I'm using a two handed work style typing on a 60% board right now, in fact I almost always use two hands. Are the Ergodox or Keyboardio Model 01 not two handed? Maybe you mean that you don't ever have to take your hands off? Well then the Keymouse is definitely two-handed in that case. Also, since you have to buy your pro stand AND provide your own mouse or trackpad, you can't really offer that as a selling point in a price/feature comparison.

Switching To Connected Devices - You don't really expand on this, so I assume you mean that the BT chip can store five different device profiles? Fair enough, that's a good feature. There's not really any reason the Keymouse can't be connected to from any device though.

1. If compare with other concave keyboards, people only said Designer Keyboard is beautiful.
2. Most edge of concave keyboards is more than 10mm, the edge of Designer Keyboard is 4-5mm.
3. Some users need left only, right, both or none. We offer 6 options for Pro Stand.
4. Two-Handed Work Style is the core of Designer Keyboard which is inspired by 3D mouse. For example, one hand for zoom and pan, other hand for select and command for do faster. From their study, It can save 5% time, and save 80 hours per year.
5. Yes, the chip can store five different device profiles, and one key to switch to different devices.

I'd argue that you also highlight unique features about your board, while not indicating anything that those boards have that yours doesn't. Things like LEDs might not be important to you, but the Model 01 and the Ergodox Ez both feature those and that is arguably a part of their value. In fact, if you're not putting that on the chart, the Ergodox Ez should be $325, not $354. For that price, the Ergodox also has adjustable tenting, rather than a fixed angle, so that's worth mentioning, I feel.

I'm not in any way criticising the design of you board, I think you've done great work designing it, have come up with a great website, and are clearly good at marketing it. I just feel that it's important to be transparent about things and not go too heavy on those kinds of comparisons that aren't entirely fair or honest, in my opinion. Tables like that, skewed in a positive fashion towards your product without highlighting any positives of any of the others may be good marketing, but it doesn't seem very classy.

Edit: Also, just because I'm still curious, you didn't answer how the two halves communicate with each other, can you explain?

So simple, when you turn on it, 2 keyboards will auto connect like that: mac - master keyboard - slave keyboard
Thanks, some price was outdated, will update.

So maybe I ask you some questions.
Why did people buy Designer Keyboard?
And what you think about Two-handed work style after you check the link?
How to draw faster 5-10% from keyboard and mouse?

You didn't see most pros of the keyboard, maybe I am not explain very clearly from the web.
I will keep to update it.
And maybe one day you come to London, I am happy to show you the propotype.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 00:30:20 by vexchow »

Offline vexchow

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 21:46:29 »

And I do not. If anything would be for me, it would be RF, since I can just plug in a dongle and go. Even then I need to worry about recharging some battery that will eventually fail and need replacing, which may be some kind of proprietary unobtainium pack of cells you may end up having to try to desolder yourself and rebuild. Bluetooth pairing is a hassle, switching between devices once paired is really the only significant benefit if you ask me.

Logitech's unifying receivers are probably my favorite for wireless peripherals, since you can mix and match whatever you like, configure once, and swap to whatever computers you like from there so long as you keep the dongle with those same peripherals.

At the end of the day, I will always prefer just plugging in a cable and using the board they way it is for 10+ years.

This reminds me of the people who said smartphones would replace computers, touchscreens would replace traditional peripherals, etc. There were even people who said that laser-projected keyboards would replace physical ones. Some things are just already better the way that they are.

Also, bluetooth communication was already a cheap feature of just about anything 10+ years ago. If it isn't, it is just markup. Supply and demand may justify that to some, not to me.

Just an outsider's opinion. I don't even care about ergo boards. The board looks cool. I wish you luck.  :thumb:

Thanks, First Designer Keyboard is supported for USB mode.
One key to switch for 6 devices (1 USB and 5 BLE). No worry.

Nowadays we have many Bluetooth devices, for example, Ivan has 11 devices, and he tried very hard for switching different devices and looking for Bluetooth split board.
If he uses Designer Keyboard 68 which is easy to switch, save time and money, because one keyboard for 6 devices.

Because of its convenience, people spend more time using wireless product, like dyson vacuum and bosch drill.
100% wireless devices are the future.

Offline vexchow

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 22:01:15 »

Personally, I want wired. I've been in IT for a fairly long time, and one of the things I have learnt is that for anything really important that needs to last for years, I want the option of a physical cable. My newest laptop purchase was based specifically round this, my keyboards are all wired, my mouse is wireless but has a wired mode (and it's a mouse, it's disposable anyway).

Thing is though, I don't think that other people really want Bluetooth either. I think it's something that people talk about wanting, but when it's time for the wallet to come out, very few are really prepared to pay extra for it. Most people who want Bluetooth want it at very little incremental cost- when I look around, it's a function built into the cheaper range of keyboards aimed at the younger and more fashion conscious crowd. Anne, Keychron, Varmillo. Good keyboards, sure, but all are sold to a more constrained budget. Look at the people paying 200+ for a Realforce or some whacky custom, and things default back to wired. I guess there's a BT HHKB, that's the only one that occurs to me.

From what I've been able to gather when looking into the weird ergo boards when researching the Dactyl, is that these boards are most likely to appeal to seriously geeky obsessives who code a lot, which means they're generally deskbound and require a fair bit of screen real estate (i.e. not smartphones or tablets).

Anyway, I definitely admire the product you've created. I think it's a very niche product, but it's a good one that is practically unique.

I see.
Please check the demo, it shows usb mode and BLE mode.
And most people like Ivan, looking for split bluetooth board.

And one more important thing is only split board can do two-handed work style and no traveling which is good for doing faster from my early study.
It may save at lest 5% time and 80 hours per year.
If 8750 people use my board for 1 year, we can save 700,000 hours, it equals one person lifetime.

Most Designer or creative worker is working overtime around 10-30 hours per week.
I try to help them, that's why I try very hard to show you guys!
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2021, 21:26:41 by vexchow »

Offline fluxlab

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 12:54:44 »
Id like to see gateron switches instead of cherry switches as they are both cheaper and smoother

Offline Inputism

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 18:43:08 »
Id like to see gateron switches instead of cherry switches as they are both cheaper and smoother

Highly recommend you look into cherry switches manufactured in 2020. Hyperglide switches are very smooth.

Offline cheater

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:07:21 »

I see.
Please check the demo, it shows usb mode and BLE mode.
And most people like Ivan, looking for split bluetooth board.

Show Image

And one more important thing is only split board can do two-handed work style and no traveling which is good for doing faster from my early study.
It may save at lest 5% time and 80 hours per year.
If 8750 people use my board for 1 year, we can have 700,000 hours, it equals one person lifetime.

Most Designer or creative worker is working overtime around 10-30 hours per week.
I try to help them, that's why I try very hard to show you guys!

What do you use the SpaceMouse for? Is it for productivity outside CAD?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:16:04 »
This is basically a productized version of Oobly's keyboard. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49721.0

I still think this thumb key design makes the wrong choice w/r/t thumb biomechanics, but it's good to see people trying a variety of ideas.

While far from perfect, the Maltron remains the best available version of these sculpted keyboard designs. Unfortunately later keyboard designers (Kinesis, this one, etc.) didn't do as careful a consideration of human hand shape as Malt originally did.

The best designed 3D keyboard I have seen pictures of is the DataStealth, but it never got past the prototype stage in the 1990s. It might do better today with resources like Kickstarter and 3D printers available which make the design and marketing faster and easier.

Folks willing to 3d print and hand-wire their own keyboard can make something really amazing perfectly matching their own hand shape, and placing keys to be optimally accessible.

Among commercial options though, I'd generally recommend skipping the sculpted board feature. It could theoretically be amazing but in practice isn't designed carefully enough to be worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:25:36 by jacobolus »

Offline cheater

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 20:13:48 »
This is basically a productized version of Oobly's keyboard. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49721.0

I still think this thumb key design makes the wrong choice w/r/t thumb biomechanics, but it's good to see people trying a variety of ideas.

While far from perfect, the Maltron remains the best available version of these sculpted keyboard designs. Unfortunately later keyboard designers (Kinesis, this one, etc.) didn't do as careful a consideration of human hand shape as Malt originally did.

The best designed 3D keyboard I have seen pictures of is the s, but it never got past the prototype stage in the 1990s. It might do better today with resources like Kickstarter and 3D printers available which make the design and marketing faster and easier.

Folks willing to 3d print and hand-wire their own keyboard can make something really amazing perfectly matching their own hand shape, and placing keys to be optimally accessible.

Among commercial options though, I'd generally recommend skipping the sculpted board feature. It could theoretically be amazing but in practice isn't designed carefully enough to be worth the trouble.

How do you think the thumb cluster should work?

Offline vexchow

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 21:47:53 »
Thank you for sharing your creation! The overall concept appeals a bit to me since I must confess a soft spot for the Maltron, which was the originator of such styles and which your design appears to follow quite closely. I must also concur for a product of this complexity (presumably hand wired switches, etc) the quoted price does not seem outrageous. All round a solid looking design. That said, I just can't help but feel that there is something missing from the current proposal that would make it compelling for those after a fancy ergonomic board. At the risk of sounding harsh, the name 'designer keyboard' perhaps sets very high expectations and, whilst not unpleasant, the appearance does not excite me, and I am somebody who likes ergonomic boards. The plain black of the prototype may not be doing it many favours, maybe something could be done with materials and lighting whilst keeping the same design?

The 'pro stands' are an interesting concept but not something that I would commit to online: I am not sure without trying if the position and angle of the trackpad, for instance, would be practical.

Since there are few people bringing forward 'Maltron style' 3D designs I have in the past had a number of thoughts which I would like to see in such a keyboard but might not be relevant to your own vision:
  • Firstly, I there might be the opportunity to do something with the thumb cluster unlike the 'grid' of the Maltron, Kinesis and Dactyl. I would mimic the Keyboardio 'arc'. I also wonder if the Keyboardio palm button should be adopted. I am considering the Keyboardio as my next 'board as I think these aspects of the design are compelling, although my immediate aspiration is for the atreus (for firmware reasons mentioned later).
  • Because it is a 3D design, portability will be its achilles heel, and will go right out the window if customers trick it out with 'pro stand' accessories. I would be tempted to go with a single piece design like Maltron rather than a two piece design. I am currently using a two piece ergonomic and am not convinced it offers benefits over one piece designs, even for portability. In practice I don't separate them so far, certainly not enough to have documents plus both trackpad and 3D mouse in-between. Your aspiration for light weight also invites the likelihood that they would slide about the desk
  • Instead I would look at a 'chassis' onto which mount the keyboard sections, palm rests and feet. Perhaps this 'chassis' might be a simple length of metal tube like a bicycle handlebar on which the brake, gear shifters and grips clamp. In a bicycle setup this method is both robust and allows for easy adjustment to rider position. The individual 'bowls' could be thinner if they are clamped thus rather than with a flat base to rest on the table. Further clamp-on supports for trackpad, 3D mouse or document clipboards could be provided.
  • Firmware. One of the reasons I am thinking of the Keyboardio is that the firmware appears to facilitate options I am struggling to implement in QMK (shapeshifter, a more logical system to establish combos). Would that firmware (Kaleidoscope, also open source) be an option? It would certainly separate the project from the hoi-polloi of QMK based boards.
  • I agree with others that USB (type-c port - excellent!) is more desirable than wireless.
I wish you luck progressing your design, and hope you share future progress with this forum!

Thanks so much.
In fact, Designer Keyboard is not only focused on ergonomic, it is more focus to make users feel smooth and do faster.
People love ink pen to drawing or writing, because smooth. Same as the keyboard.
Only split bluetooth board with Pro Stand can bring users to the next level!

After our studies, we believe the angle of board and Pro Stand are good for most people.
And users can change wrist rest to adjust angle. (5-15 degree)

1. We did many testing models for the thumb part. 2x2 design let one finger holds 2-4 keys for modify keys. Also good for use trackpad and 3d mouse at the same time. I think users are smart and they will choose the best keyboard.

2. I would like to show you the finger position. The most flexible fingers are index finger and thumb, right? So only split board design has space for Trackpad and 3D mouse and don’t waste our index finger and thumb.

Also, we tested many rubber feet for the slide problem.

3. 3 main problems for an adjustable part, form design, heavy and durability. It is complex in our case if we need finding the balance between beautiful form, lightweight and durability. Therefore, we did module design for wrist rest, you can change it for adjust angle. You may want to learn more.

4. 100% agree, firmware is important for users. Simple and easy to use. We will update more details for it. You may want to learn more.
5. Thanks, you may also happy with bluetooth in the future.

Offline vexchow

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 21:53:20 »

We know everyone has their own favourite switches.
Therefore, we spend 2 years to design hot swap pcb with concave surface.
Let you change your favourite one.
The v1.2 pcb is supported 5 legs switches now! Cheers!

Offline vexchow

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 21:55:45 »

Highly recommend you look into cherry switches manufactured in 2020. Hyperglide switches are very smooth.

Yes, we will buy some Hyperglide switches for test.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2021, 05:10:43 by vexchow »

Offline vexchow

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 22:16:41 »
What do you use the SpaceMouse for? Is it for productivity outside CAD?

Designer Keyboard with 3D mouse is the best creation tool for 3D drawing.
Good for Rhino, sketchup, solidworks, maya, 3D max and fusion.
Also good for 2D software, such as Autocad, indesign, photoshop and AI.
Of course, you can replace mouse wheel to 3D mouse for browse website and files.
And some people may use it for play game.

I am happy to show you some demo.

From our study:
Compare with normal keyboard and mouse.

Offline cheater

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 07:04:55 »

Show Image

hmm... this won't fit beam springs though

Offline vexchow

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 10:13:26 »

The best designed 3D keyboard I have seen pictures of is the DataStealth, but it never got past the prototype stage in the 1990s. It might do better today with resources like Kickstarter and 3D printers available which make the design and marketing faster and easier.

No worry, we have Mistake-proofing design for thumb parts.
If you zoom in, you will see 2 levels high.
For example, when you tap A, you will not wrong tap B.

Designer Keyboard is better than most people imagine.
Order it, try it, and feel it!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2021, 10:21:06 by vexchow »

Offline vexchow

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 10:20:29 »

Show Image

hmm... this won't fit beam springs though

It is compatible with 70-80 switches on the market.

Offline cheater

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 15:41:35 »
i guess it's my own fault if my favourite switch is not mx-compatible

Offline vexchow

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 16:13:57 »

Sorry, don't think bad.
Now is only stage 1, depends on our study and market, we may design other switches board in the future. :D

Offline cheater

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 17:25:53 »

Sorry, don't think bad.
Now is only stage 1, depends on our study and market, we may design other switches board in the future. :D

sounds good.
maybe for next version you can make a copy of beam spring switches?
then i'll buy one for sure :D

Offline cheater

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 17:28:35 »
it's an inverted curve, which there aren't many of, which increases complexity

what's an "inverted curve" design? just concave? or am i missing something?

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 17:31:11 »

Yes, concave is the term I should have used there.

Offline vexchow

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 15:46:42 »

Sorry, don't think bad.

sounds good.
maybe for next version you can make a copy of beam spring switches?
then i'll buy one for sure :D

Thanks so much!
If you love our Design, it is our pleasure!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2021, 15:57:09 by vexchow »

Offline vexchow

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 15:51:11 »

Yes, concave is the term I should have used there.

Hey Jerry, just let you know we sold all the Designer Keyboards.
And users love it very much!

Cheers!

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 07:51:16 »
Show Image

Cheers!

Thank you for the update, I suppose.

The reviewer is entirely wrong about it being the only wireless split keyboard, of course. Especially with ZMK firmware and the nice!nano becoming more widely adopted for projects, but you can't fault them for not researching. I can see on your Facebook page you mentioned you've had 100% 5* reviews, are you able to tell me where I can see these reviews? :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 07:55:54 by -Jerry- »

Offline gh_pp

Re: VHD Designer Keyboard is better than 98% split board?
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:25:17 »
Hi vexchow,

New to 3d ergo board side of things.

Besides the different thumb modules you have and BLE connection, what is the difference between Designer Keyboard and Dactyl Manuform ?

I'm not familiar with the NxM specification with 3d board. Does Designer keyboard have a 5x5, 5x6 or 6x6 layout?

I don't see specific QMK mention in the product page. What firmware does it run? TMK? (that means one-shot are supported, but no mod-tap and tap-dance?)

Once I familiarize myself with the 3d ergo space, I'll definitely keep your product in mind.
The only thing holding me back is lack of F keys and inverted arrow clusters (for when I'm in reading mode, browsing pages or reading pdfs)

Thanks for support HKW btw.
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline vexchow

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 16:23:36 »
Show Image

Cheers!

The reviewer is entirely wrong about it being the only wireless split keyboard, of course. Especially with ZMK firmware and the nice!nano becoming more widely adopted for projects, but you can't fault them for not researching. I can see on your Facebook page you mentioned you've had 100% 5* reviews, are you able to tell me where I can see these reviews? :)

Alright, in fact, we had tested several logic boards and different firmware.
If possible, we try to search and test all options for each part, and then found out the best combo for Designer Keyboard.

So maybe I ask you few questions.
Which fully bluetooth split board had assembled?
And which split board has the same functions as the Designer Keyboard?
What is the difference between the above logic boards?
What is the difference between qmk and zmk?
Why qmk is better than zmk?

And you can find more details about good reviews on our website and wiki!

So far, we received 80-90% of good comments on the internet and from the user reviews. Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 08:58:08 by vexchow »

Offline vexchow

Re: VHD Designer Keyboard is better than 98% split board?
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 15:30:28 »
Hi vexchow,

New to 3d ergo board side of things.

Besides the different thumb modules you have and BLE connection, what is the difference between Designer Keyboard and Dactyl Manuform ?

I'm not familiar with the NxM specification with 3d board. Does Designer keyboard have a 5x5, 5x6 or 6x6 layout?

I don't see specific QMK mention in the product page. What firmware does it run? TMK? (that means one-shot are supported, but no mod-tap and tap-dance?)

Once I familiarize myself with the 3d ergo space, I'll definitely keep your product in mind.
The only thing holding me back is lack of F keys and inverted arrow clusters (for when I'm in reading mode, browsing pages or reading pdfs)

Thanks for support HKW btw.

Hi gh_pp,

Welcome to the world of Concave Ergo board!
I would say Designer Keyboard and Dactyl Manuform that is a different level.
The difference is like enjoying a high-end restaurant or buying and cooking food from the supermarket.

Designer Keyboard(DK) is a new gen production tool, trying to bring users to the next level - more production and comfortable!
Overall, DK is more beautiful, more powerful and cheaper than Dactyl Manuform.

PRETTY - It is also an art piece!
* Elegant organic curve - Designed from Architectural theory
* Thin edge slim - Only 3-5mm edge, also good for no travelling
* 3D printing with post-processing - Better quality and surface with UK, USA and Japan materials
* Timeless - Just imagine 10 or 20 years later, it still looks a modern design!

The user said Designer Keyboard feels solid for typing and better than Kinesis Advantage!

POWER - World First Multi-Function Split Keyboard
* Two-handed work style - Up to 8% work faster, such as 3d modelling and cad drawing
* No travelling - Incredibly smooth, without travelling between different devices
* QMK - Fully QMK function
* Incredible logic board - Only 1.3ms delay on BLE mode
* Switch to BLE devices - Up to 5 BLE devices
* 48 and 68 keys - 2 options for different users
* Module System - Upgrade the new functions what you want in the future
* Left Right hand option - Module parts were designed for left or right hand
* Wrist rest - More comfortable for a long time
* Concave surface with hot-swap PCB - Easy to change switches and feels more solid 
* Easy drop to flash - Thanks to the UF2 file, flash it without any software, such as qmk toolbox
* Battery life - Up to 4 months
* No cable - Creating golden space and keep your desk neat and tidy
* Use it anywhere - Home, office, cafe and even sofa

Based on the above benefits, that's why we say DK is better than 98% of other split board!

Good price and service
* If you ordered the DK with the super early bird that was under $300 last year.
* If you order a Dactyl Manuform DIY kit with an assembly fee that is over $300, and maybe add more $100 for post-processing case.
* 2020 version includes the wriest rest, other board need to pay more
* 60 days return
* Free shipping to UK and Europe
* 3 years limited hardware Warranty

Require
* Learn how to use with QMK and setup (1-2 hours)
* Learn how to use the Two-handed works style (1-3 days)
* It takes time for used to ergo layout (1-2 weeks)

We have 48 keys (5x4 + 4 thumb) which is good for a small hand and layer lover. 68 Keys (6x5 + 4 thumb) is good for beginner and row number or function keys lover.

The logic board supports fully QMK function, you can set up tap dance if you want.
You also can set up your perfect keymap, no worries for function keys and arrow key.

Most users are smart, who compared many boards already.
Finally, they made a good choice that chose us!

I hope you will join our batch 3 this summer!
Thanks for interesting in our design!
Thanks so so much! Cheers!

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 May 2021, 19:27:54 by vexchow »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 08:02:26 »
I can see on your Facebook page you mentioned you've had 100% 5* reviews, are you able to tell me where I can see these reviews? :)

So far, we received 80-90% of good comments on the internet and from the user reviews. Thanks so much!
Show Image

None of those appear to be reviews, they're all people talking about the keyboard in Reddit or Discord posts.
Several of them explicitly state that they haven't got the keyboard.

I understand marketing your keyboard, but if a product is good then you shouldn't need to misrepresent your popularity. 

Offline vexchow

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 15:29:38 »
I can see on your Facebook page you mentioned you've had 100% 5* reviews, are you able to tell me where I can see these reviews? :)

Show Image

None of those appear to be reviews, they're all people talking about the keyboard in Reddit or Discord posts.

I understand marketing your keyboard, but if a product is good then you shouldn't need to misrepresent your popularity.

Alright, I am happy to explain it to you.
Firstly, I told you two things, one of the good comments, and one of the good reviews that both you can find on our website.
Secondly, I usually tell you the fact with references, data and images.
Finally, the Designer Keyboard leads the industry of keyboard for at least 5 years!
Some people don't know new-gen style, eg: two-handed work style and never try another kind of keyboard, eg, split board.

That's why users are happy with our products after they tried!

If possible, I hope you can answer my questions that I asked you before.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 15:34:49 »
Finally, the Designer Keyboard leads the industry of keyboard for at least 5 years!

I'm fairly certain that Dell or Logitech lead the industry.

You have a nice looking keyboard, you've put thought into the product. You really don't need to use all this hyperbole.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: VHD Designer Keyboard is better than 98% of split board?
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 15:55:40 »

Sure - I'm not sure why you think having me answer questions about wireless keyboards negates any critique I've made, but okay.

Kenesis Freesyle2

Lots of boards have similar feature sets. The only solely unique thing you have going for your board is the 'pro stand' but other than that there are a whole range of split keyboard out there. Most people, as has been highlighted by the responses in this thread, don't really care about wireless.

I'm really not sure what that has to do with anything, they're all different styles of form factor and use case and several of them ae completely out of place. Why do you have an Uno in that line up? Almost every custom keyboard runs off some flavour of an ATmega chip, usually a 32U4 or 328, so I'm not sure why you felt you had to reinvent the wheel.

One is designed specifically for wireless keyboards, one isn't

For wireless keyboards, it's not.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 May 2021, 15:57:15 by -Jerry- »

Offline vexchow

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 16:43:07 »

Show Image

This means that the Innovation Design of Designer Keyboard leads at least for 5 years!
Because of the following function:

* Two-handed work style - Up to 8% work faster, such as 3d modelling and cad drawing
* No travelling - Incredibly smooth, without travelling between different devices
* QMK - Fully QMK function
* Incredible logic board - Only 1.3ms delay on BLE mode
* Switch to BLE devices - Up to 5 BLE devices
* 48 and 68 keys - 2 options for different users
* Module System - Upgrade the new functions what you want in the future
* Left Right hand option - Module parts were designed for left or right hand
* Wrist rest - More comfortable for a long time
* Concave surface with hot-swap PCB - Easy to change switches and feels more solid 
* Easy drop to flash - Thanks to the UF2 file, flash it without any software, such as qmk toolbox
* Battery life - Up to 4 months
* No cable - Creating golden space and keep your desk neat and tidy
* Use it anywhere - Home, office, cafe and even sofa

Of course, I know you love keyboard very much!
therefore, I would like to invite you to join Batch 3!
Maybe you will love it after trying our product!

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 16:45:28 »
I would like to invite you to join Batch 3!
Maybe you will love it after trying our product!

You’re certainly welcome to send me one and I’ll review it impartially.

Offline vexchow

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 16:52:55 »

Sure - I'm not sure why you think having me answer questions about wireless keyboards negates any critique I've made, but okay.

Kenesis Freesyle2

Lots of boards have similar feature sets. The only solely unique thing you have going for your board is the 'pro stand' but other than that there are a whole range of split keyboard out there. Most people, as has been highlighted by the responses in this thread, don't really care about wireless.

I'm really not sure what that has to do with anything, they're all different styles of form factor and use case and several of them ae completely out of place. Why do you have an Uno in that line up? Almost every custom keyboard runs off some flavour of an ATmega chip, usually a 32U4 or 328, so I'm not sure why you felt you had to reinvent the wheel.

One is designed specifically for wireless keyboards, one isn't

For wireless keyboards, it's not.

Thanks for your answer.
If possible and if you want, I hope I can show you the Designer Keyboard and some prototypes face to face.
And then maybe you will change your mind that found out a new level of the keyboard.

2 years old, William Judd, Editor-in-Chief for XSReviews, said Designer Keyboard is a clever ergonomic mechanical keyboard.
https://xsreviews.co.uk/news/designer-keyboard-is-a-clever-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard-on-kickstarter/

What do you think? And why?

Offline crashnburn

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 02 August 2022, 06:36:39 »
Show Image

Cheers!

Alright, in fact, we had tested several logic boards and different firmware.
If possible, we try to search and test all options for each part, and then found out the best combo for Designer Keyboard.
Show Image

Show Image

Interesting questions, some of which I am thinking about right now .. and use of variety of controller alternatives.