Author Topic: Gaming on a split keyboard?  (Read 26142 times)

Offline TheWonderBubble

Gaming on a split keyboard?
« on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 07:55:44 »
Fairly new to keyboards and such, but I spend a lot of time behind one so I was looking to build a Sofle for home use. I was curious if anyone games on their split keyboard setup, especially if it's tented, and if/how it changes anything. I could see some games being a bit troublesome having half the number row gone to the other side, or some MOBA stuff just needing more keys. Do y'all usually remap in game, use layers, or just have a second "normal" keyboard for gaming use?
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline vvp

Re: Gaming on a split keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:19:21 »
I play FPS games on a split keyboard (K84CS) with 20° tenting angle.
I remap keys in game. No need for a traditional keyboard. I would use layers if I could not remap all the needed keys to one half. The keys which start a chat are on the other half but it does not matter since one types with both hands in a chat.

Offline hyphonetics

• LinkTree
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 16:00:51 »
I've been daily driving a Redox for a few months now, I remapped a couple keys (put Space under my left hand thumb cluster and a few others on alternate layers) and it's been fine for most games. Sometimes I'll have to remap keys ingame to make my life a little easier but overall it's been a great experience

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 18:53:55 »
I remap keys in game. No need for a traditional keyboard. I would use layers if I could not remap all the needed keys to one half. The keys which start a chat are on the other half but it does not matter since one types with both hands in a chat.

Extra good to know about the tenting, I'm looking at a 3d printed case that'd get me 20 or 30deg of tenting and I wasn't sure if that'd effect things either.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:19:20 »
I've been daily driving a Redox for a few months now, I remapped a couple keys (put Space under my left hand thumb cluster and a few others on alternate layers) and it's been fine for most games. Sometimes I'll have to remap keys ingame to make my life a little easier but overall it's been a great experience

Does the column staggering cause any issues or just a bit more adjustment?

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 22:35:10 »
I game exclusively on my BFO-9000,not sure its the best example as it has more keys on one side than most split boards have on both.   ;D

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 02:05:49 »
I game exclusively on my BFO-9000,not sure its the best example as it has more keys on one side than most split boards have on both.   ;D

Show Image

Dang, is that a full 108 split ortho? I may have to look into that myself.

Sounds like the consensus though is that split gaming is good to go, and if not...I'll just have an excuse for another keeb.  :D

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 18:11:53 »

Show Image

Sounds like the consensus though is that split gaming is good to go, and if not...I'll just have an excuse for another keeb.  :D

Would be a full 108 but for the 2U POS caps making it 104,having the Numpad in the middle is really handy for gaming,allows for a lot of quick access macros.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 23:49:47 »

Show Image

Would be a full 108 but for the 2U POS caps making it 104,having the Numpad in the middle is really handy for gaming,allows for a lot of quick access macros.

Definitely going to be looking into that, more likely for work than home gaming actually. Thank you!

Offline kizuna

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 10:32:39 »

How long did it take to get used to gaming with the split keyboard?

Offline vvp

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 11:11:24 »
How long did it take to get used to gaming with the split keyboard?
It did not take me any significant time (a matter of hours). But I was switching from Kinesis Advantage to a fully split K80CS and later K84CS.
Anyway, i do not think you need any significant time when switching except learning a new key assignment (for the keys you will need to remap). Adjusting to touch type on Kinesis Advantage when switching from a standard keybaord takes about 2 weeks. That is a data point I know since I measured it when I started with Kinesis Advantage in 2002.

Offline Cujo26

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 06:57:49 »
I also have a sofle and most of the time I game on it. I don't really find any issues other than stuff like crouch-jumping in CS:GO, but I'll either just manage it by bumping ctrl and space with my palm and thumb or by using a different keyboard, depending on my mood
Please help I am trapped in your computing device

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112457.0]

Offline chevill

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 00:30:29 »
I was using a dactyl manuform for gaming for a while. Having a 6 button thumb cluster is pretty great for games.

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/3e11dfd554e24f822c7a1ee0e0d192d5e2f6c36693475afe56306ab3d56560d1/687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4c646a456872522e6a7067

Offline Kraken-Jokes

• Moore Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 21:42:31 »
I did a lot of work on the Pteron keyboard and made a split version of it intended for gaming. Hotswap so now it's got ink yellows for wasd, jades on esc and win, and gat red/ yellow for the rest of the keys. I really like the extra space for my mouse. I didn't record data to back this potential placebo, but it made my KD in Warzone go up as well.

Offline phillismable

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 15:26:57 »
Maltron for gaming, I have clicky blues so it's noisy but what the hell its only for home.

Offline AeternusCo

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 12:36:50 »
This applies to any board with split spacebar support, but I discovered it while using a split board (Unigo66) for gaming: split spacebar is fantastic for gaming. Way easier to press quickly and repeatedly than full spacebar. I main Lucio in OW and found jumping way easier on spacebar with split space.

Offline TD22057

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 19:35:30 »
I've been gaming on my new KBO-5000 split lately and it's fantastic.  Macro keys to the left are nice (but not crucial).  What's really great is that I have three thumb keys in easy reach.  Normally the command key is my temporary layer key - but I have a "game" layer where I remap that key to something more useful in games (like left ctrl).  It's really nice to push the right hand board out of the way and have just the left side and mouse pad too.

283692-0

Offline s8erdude

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 08:48:42 »
I started playing on lily58 and switched over to a corne and finally a skelytyl - haven’t seen any negative effects :) :) :) :)

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 12:26:55 »
up until a few years back, i was using a crappy full size ergo membrane board, it was an interesting layout and i would like to see it converted to a MX board but for gaming it was okay, besides the fact it was a membrane board it's layout was quite comfortable and I was able to play pretty much most games with it. I experienced some annoyances with FPS games where i would have to stretch my hand to press G but other than that it was relatively nice.