Author Topic: How did you get faster at typing?  (Read 30032 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: How did you get faster at typing?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 16:24:07 »
The same could be said about any layout, due to lack of data.

There's quite a bit of data on Dvorak, especially considering Blackburn. If anything, there's very little data on Colemak, lacking any formal studies.

There's quite a bit of data on QWERTY, especially considering Wrona or Zaviačičová.

Speaking of studies, I've yet to see a real-world Dvorak-QWERTY comparison that isn't flawed.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 16:33:15 »
The same could be said about any layout, due to lack of data.

There's quite a bit of data on Dvorak, especially considering Blackburn. If anything, there's very little data on Colemak, lacking any formal studies.

There's quite a bit of data on QWERTY, especially considering Wrona or Zaviačičová.

Speaking of studies, I've yet to see a real-world Dvorak-QWERTY comparison that isn't flawed.

In which way? Carpalx and other statistics not good enough? I can try to dig something up, a few months ago some study from the 1990s in the US concluded a 2.4% wpm gain, I can look for it if you'd like. Certainly way past Sholes and Dvoraks' time. Colemak elitists, unite.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 17:28:28 »
You mean something like this (PDF) article by Leonard West? They tested only digrams and on rather small scale... the output was 4% superiority of Dvorak, which is not a big deal. There were more studies like that, especially in the 70's and 80's, but... they always looked only at some aspects (like speed of typing bigrams) and with very few participants. No ground-breaking results either.

carpalx is not a study. It's a parametric model and its output obviously depends on supplied parameters. (I should know, I'm actually extending carpalx.) The defaults are... well, how did they get there? Moreover, the results don't say much about performance *in actuality*.

I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of other layouts (working on carpalx and want to learn yet another layout), but for different reasons (philosophy, subjective comfort, hypothetically easier learning). There simply isn't enough data to claim that different optimized software layouts noticeably affect speed or RSI.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 17:43:33 »
After getting into the life-long bad habit of looking at the keys while I typed (and thinking typing was only for secretaries) I finally taught myself to type properly following this this tutorial: http://www.typing-lessons.org/
I went from always having to look at the keys to using a blank Leopold TLK Otaku full time within a month or two of practicing about 15 minutes a day. I don't like to use the term "touch typing" as it implies that there are other kinds of typing that are considered acceptable. You either know how to type or you don't. If you have to look at the keys you don't. Learning to type properly can really help increase your productivity. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 April 2014, 17:55:30 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 20:32:45 »
You mean something like this (PDF) article by Leonard West? They tested only digrams and on rather small scale... the output was 4% superiority of Dvorak, which is not a big deal. There were more studies like that, especially in the 70's and 80's, but... they always looked only at some aspects (like speed of typing bigrams) and with very few participants. No ground-breaking results either.

carpalx is not a study. It's a parametric model and its output obviously depends on supplied parameters. (I should know, I'm actually extending carpalx.) The defaults are... well, how did they get there? Moreover, the results don't say much about performance *in actuality*.

I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of other layouts (working on carpalx and want to learn yet another layout), but for different reasons (philosophy, subjective comfort, hypothetically easier learning). There simply isn't enough data to claim that different optimized software layouts noticeably affect speed or RSI.

Good thing that because there is a small sample size, any conclusions are either false or irrelevant.
And perhaps 4% isn't a big deal to you, but to me it's quite significant (and it is higher, so why would you learn the worse way?) especially considering the significantly reduced finger travel.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 21:06:12 »
Browse youtube and watch videos of people typing on Dvorak or Colemak layout. Preferably ones where they have split screen showing their keyboard and the text as it is typed. You will see for yourself that this "4%" statistic is meaningless.

I watched one last night by simply typing "Colemak" into the search field and it was titled something like "Colemak 136wpm". Not the fastest speed ever, but you can see how little his fingers travel from the home row and how smooth and rhythmic the typing pattern is compared to a similar speed on Qwerty.

Draw your own conclusions either way. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but hey - it never hurts to allow a broad range of information and evidence to underlay your opinions, does it? Least of all, you; he who stands the most to gain from it.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 21:35:03 »
Browse youtube and watch videos of people typing on Dvorak or Colemak layout. Preferably ones where they have split screen showing their keyboard and the text as it is typed. You will see for yourself that this "4%" statistic is meaningless.

I watched one last night by simply typing "Colemak" into the search field and it was titled something like "Colemak 136wpm". Not the fastest speed ever, but you can see how little his fingers travel from the home row and how smooth and rhythmic the typing pattern is compared to a similar speed on Qwerty.

Draw your own conclusions either way. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but hey - it never hurts to allow a broad range of information and evidence to underlay your opinions, does it? Least of all, you; he who stands the most to gain from it.

I think you completely misunderstood. We were talking about Dvorak vs QWERTY, Colemak had absolutely nothing to do to with it. What do you mean by 'least of all, I'. I do not stand to gain much more than anyone here, I'm just assuming that you were talking like that because you misunderstood.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 21:43:13 »
I should've quoted Dovkal, as that was who I was addressing, not you. I'm in agreeance with you.

I probably shouldn't bundle Colemak with Dvorak, but that's what I did, as I feel the (unplausable) research against Dvorak is the same sentiment argued against Colemak by the same nay sayers.

Both Dvorak and Colemak reduce travel beyond the home row significantly. Something you have to "see" for yourself; hence my suggestion to watch a video or two. I only drew reference to Colemak as I had that particular video fresh in mind.

The misunderstanding is mutual, but my fault for not quoting the comment I was addressing  :confused:

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 22:17:25 »
I should've quoted Dovkal, as that was who I was addressing, not you. I'm in agreeance with you.

I probably shouldn't bundle Colemak with Dvorak, but that's what I did, as I feel the (unplausable) research against Dvorak is the same sentiment argued against Colemak by the same nay sayers.

Both Dvorak and Colemak reduce travel beyond the home row significantly. Something you have to "see" for yourself; hence my suggestion to watch a video or two. I only drew reference to Colemak as I had that particular video fresh in mind.

The misunderstanding is mutual, but my fault for not quoting the comment I was addressing  :confused:

Ah, no worry. I certainly don't have anything against Colemak, it just has been communicated to me that alternation is best for typing while rolls reduce travel, and that the two factors are sometimes mixed up. I do certainly seen excellent Colemak typists better than myself by a respectable margin, I just want to clear any misconceptions that it is just 'superior' to everything else, if you see what I mean.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 22:53:04 »
I think both Dvorak and Colemak are great options, each in their own right; and both superior to Qwerty. I've learnt both, but I'm better at Dvorak. In my experience I would say that Colemak is a less steep learning curve when transitioning from Qwerty. The left-right,left-right rhythm of Dvorak and key placement compared to Qwerty is just COMPLETELY different and takes a lot of time to adjust to. Colemak was developed well after Dvorak and the idea behind it was to address the transition issue, but also try to further improve upon the efficiencies of Dvorak.

The main reason why I like Colemak is the editing shortcuts, such as CTRL C, X, V etc are in the same location as Qwerty. In places where you can't use keyremapping software, this is an almost must-have factor.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 22:56:50 »
I think both Dvorak and Colemak are great options, each in their own right; and both superior to Qwerty. I've learnt both, but I'm better at Dvorak. In my experience I would say that Colemak is a less steep learning curve when transitioning from Qwerty. The left-right,left-right rhythm of Dvorak and key placement compared to Qwerty is just COMPLETELY different and takes a lot of time to adjust to. Colemak was developed well after Dvorak and the idea behind it was to address the transition issue, but also try to further improve upon the efficiencies of Dvorak.

The main reason why I like Colemak is the editing shortcuts, such as CTRL C, X, V etc are in the same location as Qwerty. In places where you can't use keyremapping software, this is an almost must-have factor.

Ah yes, the coding has always been a factor to, it seems, almost everyone. At first it was a bit jarring, but now I'm so used to Dvorak shortcuts that it's strange for me to go back to QWERTY; although many are two handed, (nicely, CTRL+W is easier to press) it's not too much lost labor for me. Do you mainly type on Dvorak, and how was the transition from it to Colemak? I gave it a shot, but there just wasn't enough motivation for me.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 23:11:30 »

Ah yes, the coding has always been a factor to, it seems, almost everyone. At first it was a bit jarring, but now I'm so used to Dvorak shortcuts that it's strange for me to go back to QWERTY; although many are two handed, (nicely, CTRL+W is easier to press) it's not too much lost labor for me. Do you mainly type on Dvorak, and how was the transition from it to Colemak? I gave it a shot, but there just wasn't enough motivation for me.

Sadly, I've reverted back to Qwerty at work, where I do the majority of my typing - because I use the editing commands so much AND my work won't allow me to install the keyboard layout for Colemak. It is very difficult to be profficient in more than one layout simultaneously, so I expect my efficiency in either has diminished as a result :(

Colemak is probably easier to learn straight from Qwerty than Qwerty->Dvorak, but it wasn't "that" hard.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 23:25:49 »
Sadly, I've reverted back to Qwerty at work, where I do the majority of my typing - because I use the editing commands so much AND my work won't allow me to install the keyboard layout for Colemak. It is very difficult to be profficient in more than one layout simultaneously, so I expect my efficiency in either has diminished as a result :(

Colemak is probably easier to learn straight from Qwerty than Qwerty->Dvorak, but it wasn't "that" hard.

Ah, the unsympathetic work, my apologies. If only you got your hands on a CODE, with its switchable Dvorak/Colemak via DIP switches..

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 23:40:16 »

Ah, the unsympathetic work, my apologies. If only you got your hands on a CODE, with its switchable Dvorak/Colemak via DIP switches..

They made me fill out a long-winded form and write an email to level 2 IT, which was never acknowledged (months ago), so gave up. We've got a new operations manager here though, (who I've been getting along well with), so I might be able to get somewhere starting from the top.

As far as the code goes - I have honestly thought about it for a while, but I'm kind of torn between on a Code or a Kinesis Advantage.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 12:43:13 »

They made me fill out a long-winded form and write an email to level 2 IT, which was never acknowledged (months ago), so gave up. We've got a new operations manager here though, (who I've been getting along well with), so I might be able to get somewhere starting from the top.

As far as the code goes - I have honestly thought about it for a while, but I'm kind of torn between on a Code or a Kinesis Advantage.

They let you do whatever you want, whenever they want, eh?
And I would say if you could get the Kinesis, that'd be pretty cool to have. Definitely easier to say that it's for ergonomic purposes, and seeing as both are switchable.. not bad.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 18:02:31 »
I should just request an ergonomics assessment and then suggest the Kinesis Advantage and see what happens - they may supply it for me haha Then again, they probably only have Microsoft Ergonomic boards on their stocklist.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 09:20:42 »
double post

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 09:22:25 »

Try typing as if your life depended on it.

I honestly learned how to type fast by playing Diablo II however many years ago and having to talk and run away from monsters at the same time.

But yeah, practice.

THIS

Same here. I forced myself to type faster by playing MMOs while fighting mobs/bosses and communicating.

I was always in competitive guilds when I played WoW, which means I was spoiled by vent. I can see how this would help though...

This, but we had class specific channels so all our warlocks would be penising[**** was censored; WOW] around during the pulls. =3

Offline futurebird

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:36:31 »
I feel like progress is slow for me. I think what I need to do is get in to a heated political debate. That has always made me type a bit faster. That said even though it's still a bit slower the feel of touch typing has me hooked. I ought to go and take a typing test and see how I'm doing.

Offline vatin

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 10:01:31 »
I guess the best way is to practice. The more you use it, the more you get better at it. But everyone has their limits.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 21:02:47 »
I feel like progress is slow for me. I think what I need to do is get in to a heated political debate. That has always made me type a bit faster. That said even though it's still a bit slower the feel of touch typing has me hooked. I ought to go and take a typing test and see how I'm doing.

Pity you're not Australian - with a recent change in Government and the new Budget being released yesterday - there is plenty to debate right now. Like how the hell our Prime minister even got a job in the public sector in the first place.

Offline sulonen

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 22:22:16 »
I always thought I was a touch typist. With the exception of the number row. I've generally typed at ~60 wpm or so, whenever I cared to take one of those online tests.

For what it's worth, I'm too heavily invested in QWERTY to want to monkey with my layout. I need to be able to comfortably type on issued keyboards as well as my own (or just someone else's machine) and the last thing I want to do is muck myself up.

I'm a programmer, and I began to get more and more irritated with having to break out of my normal typing rhythm to peck at numbers and symbols.

I bought one of those Das boards with the blank caps, thinking I could stubborn my way into the number/symbol row. It's a nice keyboard, and I still use it, but I found it frustrating to bang away with one hand on the number row and one hand on the delete key.

I tried a variety of the free typing tutor programs and was unimpressed (most of them teach basic alpha - no numbers). I finally broke down and bought one of the Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing programs. It's pretty cheesy, I grant you, with an interface that hearkens back to somewhere in the mid 90s. There aren't really any games in this one either. But it's not terrible, and it wasn't terribly expensive.

This software has a pretty good assessment feature, and starts you off with an assessment level by default when you first use it. Turns out I was a "touch typist" but I only used my pinkies to hold the shift and control keys :) The only thing I can think of is that I learned to type on a MANUAL typewriter. A very long time ago. Like, when I was a kid. I suspect I just didn't have the strength in my pinkies to hit those keys hard enough...

At any rate, I've stepped through the training, bit by bit, over the last couple of weeks. One of the things that impressed me about this software was that it did teach numbers. No symbols except for the common ones like parens and the hyphen, but still. I've learned how to use my pinkies. I've gained almost 10 wpm so far, and I can type numbers.

If there were a software tutor for programming stuff (like braces and brackets and camel casing) I'd like to try it. For now though, this has been very helpful.

I think, for practice, yes, just typing is plenty good enough. In my case, I really had to buckle down and unlearn some bad habits that I'd developed by "just typing".

Just anecdotes about my own experience. Good luck with yours.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 23:17:27 »
I'm pretty fast, but I've got a really amazing technique. You need to only use your pointer fingers and always be looking at the keyboard so you know the keys you are pressing. Make sure to double check you are pressing the right key, because sometimes my hand gets in the way and I can't see the letters, so that makes it slower. It's helpful to put your finger next to the key you want to press so you can see it, then move you hand over and press the key. I can sometimes go up to 25-30 WPM if they are short words, and that's really fast. Someone once asked me if I was a professional typer, but I said no lawl

Offline airlangga07

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 01:56:02 »
i'm on my way to increasing my speed at touch typing, right now im still slow, averaging about 50-70 wpm,
im using linux, so what helps me a lot is using CLI, using tiling windows manager like i3wm (so you can move around through specific windows using keyboard shortcut), and most important is Vimperator plugin in Firefox. (vim-like command for browsing in firefox). so basically i'm creating a desktop environment where i dont really need a mouse anymore.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 02:25:11 »
Osu and counter strike chat as a kid :P
Currently sitting at 120ish wpm
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline luisbg

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 17:37:41 »
I think it's more muscle memory. I have no problem typing without looking at keyboard or on blank keyboard, but I really have to think hard to "recreate" the keyboard without my hands on it.

This image helped me a lot when I started typing properly. Holding your fingers "in neutral" on asdf (left hand) and jkl; (right hand) and with time they just seem to know their way around the keyboard without me thinking about it.
http://libraries.wichita.edu/subsplus/assets/fckuserfiles/i_fingering_guide.gif

Great. Now I have a file in my Home called "fingering guide".  :))
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:09:55 »
I think it's more muscle memory. I have no problem typing without looking at keyboard or on blank keyboard, but I really have to think hard to "recreate" the keyboard without my hands on it.

This image helped me a lot when I started typing properly. Holding your fingers "in neutral" on asdf (left hand) and jkl; (right hand) and with time they just seem to know their way around the keyboard without me thinking about it.

Personally, I think this “fingering guide” sucks, as it encourages you to hold your left hand in a position which leaves your wrist twisted outward in an uncomfortable unergonomic position. (Also, the drawing is inaccurate in showing the row stagger on a standard keyboard.)

Here’s approximately my key fingering on a standard keyboard:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:12:53 by jacobolus »

Offline luisbg

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 20:45:14 »

Show Image

Personally, I think this “fingering guide” sucks, as it encourages you to hold your left hand in a position which leaves your wrist twisted outward in an uncomfortable unergonomic position. (Also, the drawing is inaccurate in showing the row stagger on a standard keyboard.)

Show Image

That is exactly what I do, but the 6 is part of the right hand. Maybe to compensate that the 'b' is not. Maybe because I am more dexterous with my right hand.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 23:54:30 »
Show Image

That is exactly what I do, but the 6 is part of the right hand. Maybe to compensate that the 'b' is not. Maybe because I am more dexterous with my right hand.
As I said, this is approximate. I don’t necessarily have a set finger for every key. In particular, the fingering for the whole top row tends to depend a bit on context. I’m not sure actually which hand most commonly types the 6 key.

By the way “more dexterous with my right hand” is a pretty funny phrasing, considering that the word “dextrous” comes from “right handed”. ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 00:00:03 by jacobolus »

Offline luisbg

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 00:15:22 »
By the way “more dexterous with my right hand” is a pretty funny phrasing, considering that the word “dextrous” comes from “right handed”. ;)

Yeah, I like language puns. In spanish it is diestro, for both "dexterous" (skilled) and "right handed". We also say ambidiestro, which means ambidextrous.

A friend of mine calls himself ambizurdo, which would literally mean "having two left hands".

Offline GiraffePencils

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:34:57 »
Typing of the dead,
works wonders for errors and speed :P

Offline timzen

• http://www.mechanische-tastatur.de/
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:14:08 »
I am really curious as to how many people that are actually fast typers (100wpm+) use the 10-finger-system. Im hovering at 70 wpm right now using about six fingers. Ive put in some hours to try learning the 10-finger-system with this software https://www.tipp10.com/en/index/ but its a steep learning curve ...

Can i get real fast with my 6-finger-freestyle?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:48:33 »
I can type up to about 100 wpm. Never really did any formal training--just used computers and typewriters a lot.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 16:46:18 »
As an update, since I've started using an ErgoDox I can touch type now! I'm only hovering around 70WPM but still so stoked I can touch type -- its way more comfortable and easier to use.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 21:49:45 »
I am really curious as to how many people that are actually fast typers (100wpm+) use the 10-finger-system. Im hovering at 70 wpm right now using about six fingers. Ive put in some hours to try learning the 10-finger-system with this software https://www.tipp10.com/en/index/ but its a steep learning curve ...

Um... it's not really 10 fingers.. it's more like 9..  left thumb usually doesn't do anything.

On the Ergodox, left thumb is backspace.. so yea. now we're back to 10.. but on regular keyboards, it's more/less 9

ANYONE can get to 125wpm... 130+ is the barrier... because at that point, you're training Very specific movements and transitions that require focus OUTSIDE of reading-comprehension.

Which means..  I'm trying to push everything outside of my mind while reading the word and typing them...  I am actively trying to NOT let that word trigger any form of comprehension..

For example..  If i'm reading LEFT..  normally, I might think, left-hand-turn-right-direction-etc-etc...

this trend of thought hinders the focus necessary to break the 125wpm barrier..  so when you're pushing past it..  you're trying to be OUTSIDE of reading comprehension.. you ONLY want the reading.. and transcription..   

.. now as far as Usefulness... this ^^^^ is a pretty useless thing to do... Some people like myself find it fun..  but overall.. it's pretty damn useless.... HAHA.. 

As far as 6-fingers..  i don't think that will hinder you from achieving any speed... but.. initially it could be more difficult because  using less fingers means potentially more hand lifting..    rolling is very important to speed ..  for example,  point..  that is a smooth motion poin-t..   if you only had 3 fingers for poi and lifted for n, 2 things happen,  you introduce a potential error at " n"  and it's slightly slower than simply rolling it with 4 fingers.

every hand lift has a slightly elevated risk of error than rolling...

so we can say on average using less fingers will likely cause more errors, and thus slow you down rhythmically due to corrections.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 21:55:30 »
As an update, since I've started using an ErgoDox I can touch type now! I'm only hovering around 70WPM but still so stoked I can touch type -- its way more comfortable and easier to use.

Don't forget.. Tenting FTW!!!  I recommend 35 to 50 degrees of tent.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 19:37:52 »
repeat faster for better performance.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 19:40:25 »
Another great tool is to play this in the background while training -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 03:30:13 »

actually.. I've found that listening to /loud music helps to train the Decoupling of Reading Comprehension and transcription speed..

So... yea..   but ontop of that you'd want to try and avoid listening and processing the music as well..

So maybe, use loud white noise... instead of music

Offline timzen

• http://www.mechanische-tastatur.de/
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 09:03:53 »

rolling is very important to speed ..  for example,  point..  that is a smooth motion poin-t..   if you only had 3 fingers for poi and lifted for n, 2 things happen,  you introduce a potential error at " n"  and it's slightly slower than simply rolling it with 4 fingers.

every hand lift has a slightly elevated risk of error than rolling...

Thanks for the answers. What is rolling? Is it sliding fingers from one key to the other?
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 12:36:32 by timzen »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 09:23:48 »

actually.. I've found that listening to /loud music helps to train the Decoupling of Reading Comprehension and transcription speed..

So... yea..   but ontop of that you'd want to try and avoid listening and processing the music as well..

So maybe, use loud white noise... instead of music
Tapping (or making any other sounds, or even playing music) to distract the opponents is a known practice in competitive games/sports (and it affects any activity that requires concentration). The key is to learn to take advantage of the rhythm (or lack of it), instead of avoidance.

Offline deltuhhh

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:05:28 »
Weird thing is, I never actually bothered to remember the layout of my keyboard. All just muscle memory and practice lol

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:45:55 »
Try typing as if your life depended on it.

I honestly learned how to type fast by playing Diablo II however many years ago and having to talk and run away from monsters at the same time.

But yeah, practice.

THIS

Same here. I forced myself to type faster by playing MMOs while fighting mobs/bosses and communicating.

I took a typing class in 7th grade back when we used noisy-arse electric typewriters with ink ribbons and correction cartridges. I've been typing 60WPM for about 24 years now. Ultima Online really sharpened my multi-type skills i.e. *move, text my company, cast spell, move, text, etc.* Good time, good times...
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:49:37 »
Focus on typing lightly, with little impact on the keys themselves. Go for actuation, with as little pressure as you can. Don't necessarily lift your fingers consciously, allow town to be drawn in from the movement of your other fingers, or by the movement of that finger towards the next key. Lightness. Focus. Reading ahead instead of thinking the word you're currently typing. Flow. Pasta.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 06:21:48 »
When I was playing Starcraft in 1998, I wasn't good enough to beat the computer opponents straight up, so at the start of every round, I would type in all the cheat codes, which I had to do really quickly, before the computer kills me.

Eventually, I got so good at typing in those cheat codes that typing just became natural to me, but I still retain some bad habits from that time, such as using only my right-hand's thumb, index finger, and middle finger to type alphanumerics, right index finger for space bar.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 August 2014, 06:24:11 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 06:35:07 »
It is all just muscle memory. You learn by doing. You talk about "memorizing" where they keys are, but that is not really how typing works. I do not know where half the keys are. If you show me a blank keyboard and tell me to point at the "T", I will probably point at the wrong one. But my fingers know where they key is. Because when you ask me to type a sentence on that keyboard I can do so without thinking about where the "T" is for even a second.

I think that before you attempt to touch type, you have to learn some of this muscle memory. Free typing software can be a little boring to use, but using it for a couple of weeks every evening gives you enough experience with touch typing for your fingers to kind of know which keys to press most of the time.

My suggestion would be to continue practicing with those until you can type about 25 WPM. I know this is super slow, but at 25 WPM you have a pretty good idea of where keys are on the keyboard. From that point onward, switch cold turkey. This is where your new keyboard comes in handy. It helps you because you can not cheat. At first typing will be slow as hell, and a little annoying. You might even take longer to finish your work/reply to your e-mails and your productivity will suffer a little. Though my estimation is that it will only take the average person about 2 weeks to be back up to around 40 WPM which is probably what most hunt and peckers speed is. Months later, you will probably surpass the previous speed you had.

One thing that people do not often mention, but what I think is important, is that touch typing is not just about being able to type fast. One of the advantages, perhaps even the main advantage is that you are able to type while watching the screen instead of watching the keyboard. This makes typing much more efficient, and allows you to focus on the content of what you are typing while your hands do the rest. I also think that using the computer just becomes a more fluid and easy experience, as you can focus on the screen and do not have to look down all the time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 August 2014, 06:38:51 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Sempre

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 11:48:45 »
I just started to learn touch typing. Anyone thinks its better to start learning using Dvorak instead of Qwerty?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 12:04:18 »
Yes, I do.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:24:07 »
I just started to learn touch typing. Anyone thinks its better to start learning using Dvorak instead of Qwerty?

If you are starting from absolute zero, go Dvorak for speed and ergonomics, BUT remember that you will always have problems using qwerty (that means, the 99.9% of keyboards and computers out there... even the iPhone). And If I had a choice, probably Colemac is more efficient.

I will recommend Qwerty just to be able to get a skill that will work in any place (or almost any place, since the keyboards in east europe and asia, as an example, are quite different)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:12:32 »
No joke, playing Diablo II.  It also helped with my spelling way more than school ever did.  Best game ever!