Author Topic: GeekHack Folding@Home  (Read 960101 times)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Re: GeekHack Folding@Home
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:07:39 »
it seems people stopped folding......

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:43:22 »
it seems people stopped folding......

I had to drop my folding computer due to a power outage and haven't restarted it... :P
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:59:09 »
I have something broken after I upgraded to FAH7 client. Not sure exactly why it won't run right.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline inteli722

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:00:57 »
YAY FOR EXCUSES! :D
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:15:09 »
Psh, as if there's an excuse. I still have the cronjobs running, it's just that fah is dying. :( In fairness, I've been way too lazy to look into it.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:30:54 »
the truth is though i don't regret continuing to fold even though all but 1 or 2 people have stopped contributing.

i have been so busy lately to game and my Leviathan PC hasn't had anything else to do.

i do admit i dropped the level from high to medium to low and now to idle so pretty much it is only folding at night. this is because its starting to get warm outside and my computer puts off massive amounts of heat on load.

Offline blighty

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:20:06 »
the truth is though i don't regret continuing to fold even though all but 1 or 2 people have stopped contributing.

i have been so busy lately to game and my Leviathan PC hasn't had anything else to do.

i do admit i dropped the level from high to medium to low and now to idle so pretty much it is only folding at night. this is because its starting to get warm outside and my computer puts off massive amounts of heat on load.
My third-storey un-air-conditioned apartment is better off without the excess heat from folding.  I'll probably start up again once I can make it to Home Depot to pick a unit (depending on how much power the a/c unit pulls). 

LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 14:27:04 »
Well maybe some people have stopped, but I have started.

:p SCORE BOARD BABY YEA!  :p
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:15:36 »
I still have absolutely no idea what this thread is about.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:53:04 »

It's about people donating their spare computer time towards finding research for cancer and Parkinson's disease by using a bunch fo computers to form a large supercomputer to fold proteins in different ways to see if they can fold it in a way that would cause cancer, then develop a way to stop that from happening.

Well, that's how I understand it. I may be wrong.

Have a llama. :llama:
More

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 19:40:04 »
Inteli got it right but i'll just add a smidgen (and be a little redundant)

http://folding.stanford.edu/ Check this out obviously for more info.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project. This means that small pieces of "work" are delivered to users who 'volunteer'. This work would take an incredibly long time to have any useful results even for a supercomputer so they divvy up the work and each volunteer can contribute a small portion, once Stanford has enough pieces, called "Work Units" they will be able to do research and learn about how disease works. They are researching most of the major diseases you've heard of and have probably had someone in your life affected by one or more of them.

To volunteer you simply download their client, which they have made super easy now. It used to be much more complicated and require a lot more setup/fine tuning (even though it was always rather simple). The client is made to run on idle clocks, which means you really shouldn't notice a performance hit unless you're doing something very CPU intensive. I typically play Starcraft 2 with it on full and only will turn it off for battlefield.

Each work unit is assigned a value based on how long it takes and how hard it is to complete.. if you try running one of their newer multi-core work units on an old P4 or even Core 2 Duo..well it would take probably 2-3 months or more, but standford won't even let your computer try so the point is moot. My i7 920 that's overclocked and using hyperthreading to effectively have 8 cores takes about 18 hours to complete one of their "hardest cores"/work units.

It's fun watching your points rack up and it's fun contributing to the research.. i suggest everyone do it!
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:50:45 »
Tagging this so I can get my PC setup when I get home.

Just setup my identity/joined the team.  My battlestation is wayyyyyy dated, though, so I don't see massive throughput, but anything helps, right?
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 June 2013, 13:19:39 by wiredPANDA »
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 17:47:19 »
Well i am officially stopping contributing today except for letting my 65w atom powered pc do folding (300-500 points per day)

Folding with my Leviathan-PC, I averaged 18k per day folding only during idle time (~8-10hrs) in LOW setting (no GPU) i have contributed almost 533 work units over the last 4 months and in 4 months i am in the top 20k users and geekhack collectively is in the top 2000 teams.

My costly PC doesnt see much use and i would like it to do something useful and keep folding but after my household income reduced we started to pay attention to things such as the power bill etc and i would rather still be able to buy keyboard stuffs than the extra money on the power bill. Folding cost me on average $55 to my power bill each month. I wasn't really paying attention to my bills because i was on auto-payment and assumed it was my A/C cost but the kill-a-watt meter plus math doesn't lie.

oh well, don't stop folding guys? **** low-watt pcs only?
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2013, 17:51:54 by Glod »

Offline compgeke

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:12:41 »
Well guys, you got my support on the spare server. We don't pay for power and no one complains if we use a lot, so congrats guys!

The system being used is:
Dual 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Opteron 2384s, 48 gigs ram, Server 2012. Unfortunately it has no (real) GPU, only an ATI ES1000, however I can't imagine the heat output of it if I tried to put my GeForce 9800 GTX+ into it, and I would have to route power to the card in the first place. I'll probably be stupid enough to try some day.

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:36:57 »
Well guys, you got my support on the spare server. We don't pay for power and no one complains if we use a lot, so congrats guys!

The system being used is:
Dual 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Opteron 2384s, 48 gigs ram, Server 2012. Unfortunately it has no (real) GPU, only an ATI ES1000, however I can't imagine the heat output of it if I tried to put my GeForce 9800 GTX+ into it, and I would have to route power to the card in the first place. I'll probably be stupid enough to try some day.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :) :D ;D :-\ :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :cool:
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:15:59 »
I got 4770k and 7970 at my hands, but somehow i cant get gpu to fold @ 100%...

I always think that F@H or BOINC > bitcoins...

Any tips to start dat 7970 work? I want to contribute  :p
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 04:38:14 »
Something I realised the other day that I wish BitCoin would start to do is to use F@H as "proof of work" for BitCoin transaction hash calculations.

Let me explain: BitCoin does a bunch of hash calculations on your PC to find a matching hash for encoding a block of transactions. This is for security, but the difficulty of calculating a valid block is made arbitrarily difficult by adding leading zeros to the target. So, while your system could generate a valid hash for security purposes in a fraction of a second, they force you to keep calculating hashes which are discarded until you get one which matches their criteria. Then, if your hash is accepted, you get to process a block and can add 25 coins to it for your "hard" work. The "proof of work" is generated while creating all those unused hashes.

This is a ridiculous waste of processing and power for no actual purpose except to be "hard to calculate".

If they chose to, they could instead switch to adding a hash calculation to the end of a F@H point, which gets verified the same as always, but with lower difficulty. The "proof of work" is a valid F@H point, the difficulty can still be controlled by leading 0 criteria, but starting at an easier level, meaning the rate of valid hash generation can still be controlled the same way, but the "work" done is used for something with actual value and meaning.

At the moment I can't bring myself to support BitCoin due to the insane (and totally unnecessary) waste of actual physical resources required (the power comes from somewhere, and in the majority of cases where BitCoins are most mined, it's generated by not very environmentally-friendly means) to generate throwaway virtual resources. Just to make it hard to "make" BitCoins.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 18:27:42 »
I have begun Folding! :D
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline inteli722

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 21:06:37 »
HOLY THREAD NECRO BATMAN!

We should, however, start this up again.
More

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:55:38 »
Is this thread dead? The LTT video inspired me to return to Folding for Geekhack. So, is anyone else still foding?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 17:15:26 »
necro?

I'll only restart this if someone actually de-thrones me and my LEVIATHAN.

then and only then will eat the incredible cost added to my power bill, I'll have to re-install high-rpm fans and my room heats up to like 80-85F.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 06:16:58 »
necro?

I'll only restart this if someone actually de-thrones me and my LEVIATHAN.

then and only then will eat the incredible cost added to my power bill, I'll have to re-install high-rpm fans and my room heats up to like 80-85F.
I'm unlikely to any time soon; I run a pentuim K and (for the moment) an R7 250.

Offline blawb

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 00:41:55 »
Just started folding! Haven't been using my rig for gaming as much as I have in the past so I decided to look into other things I could be doing with the power, like this and mining. I'll have free power next year at university so I'll be taking advantage of that too  :)
i hate wet socks

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 20:46:49 »
Is there a client for the Xeon Phi?

I keep hoping to have my kaggle box up and running sometime soon and it will be running dual xeon e5 2655's and two Xeon Phi's to start with a couple more being added once I've got it up and running.

It would probably be a decent Folding box when not crunching other data.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 23:16:36 »
I didn't know GH had a folding team.  I used to fold on OCN.  I got a little bored with it and it wasn't practical because my folding rig was actually my daily use computer.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline CannabisWeekly

• Tech Nerd / Cannabis Weekly
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:57:02 »
I've never tried folding at home, looks interesting.

Offline blawb

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:22:03 »
I just leave it on at night on my regular rig. I'm in second place now  :p
i hate wet socks

Offline arcvile

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 10:42:54 »
I used to fold for EVGA pretty seriously when the team first started. I have long since stopped. Perhaps I'll slap some stuff back together and help GH get a jump-start.

Good idea, boost. Folding@home is a good cause and a great way to build on forum/group unity.

All aboard the betterment of humanity train!

Offline Connly33

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:24:34 »
Is anyone still participating in the folding at home team ?

I might give it 2 of my 6 AMD FX 6300 cores and the R9 285 on my main PC when it's idle.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:31:46 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Connly33

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 15:06:21 »
I have it pretty much going full tilt letting it use all 6 cores and my GPU without a difference in performance unless i'm gaming or something obviously, and all the power being wasted as heat means i dont have to run the heater just to keep my room warm :p. I can do 98,000 points a day average. so if i leave my heater off for the next 20 or so days and keep my PC folding i can get to the top.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2016, 23:09:59 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:36:50 »
My old work pc is a c2d E8400 that I have kept IT from taking away so I could have it adding a few points to my main team, but since I have reached their top 100 I have decided to moved it over to here.
It won't be setting any records (cpu folding does bugger all!) but it can do something for geekhack now  :thumb:
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 17:49:34 »
I had been doing this for the PCMR group for quite some time since i leave my HTPC on all the time as a remote access media center anyways.  May switch it to Geekhack
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:44:06 »
Joined.  :)
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 21:17:36 »
It seems that the F@H Team has gone stagnant from the team members' active client stats.  I hope more people get back on this or we get some new people folding.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 11:22:53 »
Going to start folding for GH since I don't participate with EVGA anymore. Slacked for a few years there. Plus I got this 960 for Overwatch, enjoyed for about a month, and now it is just laying dormant.

Here we go!

Also... miss boost. :(
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 10:44:01 »
I keep failing WUs with my GPU.

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3967-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card

Think I should downclock from "SSC" settings?

EDIT:

Crashing with these settings. Temp is way safe. Turn down offsets on gpu and mem?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2016, 11:10:33 by absyrd »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 14:55:24 »
I keep failing WUs with my GPU.

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3967-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card

Think I should downclock from "SSC" settings?

EDIT:

Show Image

Crashing with these settings. Temp is way safe. Turn down offsets on gpu and mem?

Try using a fan to blow at the BACK-PLATE of the card where the VRM section is.. 

Keep the case side off,  and retest..

If it makes no difference then this may be the limit of the chip..

Overall though, regardless of clock limitations,  Cooling the vrm section with an extra fan from the back will keep it more stable..

____ THis is due to the fact that flat slot coolers are designed such that they push hot air AT the card

This causes the PCB to heat up, which makes vrm cooling Ineffective..

Which is I mounted a 120mm cpu cooler to my old cards,  they work much better and are cool to the touch because the heat is pulled down and Away,  vs blown back against the pcb.

THE only other thing you can try, is    Install a compelely fresh partition,  with nothing except the benchmark software and the nvidia drivers..

_______ The issue these days is that Drivers are very much interlinked with window libraries,  and what ends up happening is , they can screw each other up, if you got anything else that uses the same hooks..

For example, on my cnc machine controller,  Old 5 year old drivers work great,  but NEW/Latest drivers cause severe latency spikes...

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 17:44:15 »
Okay. Will try a fan on the backplate.

Downclocking a little, too. Will see if I fail overnight.

Thx, tp.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 15:43:19 »
Had another failed WU during the night. Woke up annoyed by that. Actually did a tiny bit of research in my old stomping grounds and found out Core21 on Maxwell/Pascal GPUs has been failing for months despite numerous driver updates.

I'm trying to fold hard and fast. C'mon nvidia.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 09:31:31 »
FIRST PLACE!

vs. nobody

Offline invariance

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 07:09:28 »
FIRST PLACE!

vs. nobody

Congrats.
Work caught up with me and had me shut down and remove the client.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 13:53:52 »
Haha. When I first started folding I tried to get my office to let me run on all the PCs. It lasted for about 2 hours before everyone said "something is lagging the computers".

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 01:33:48 »
(I know I am a bit late but..) Joined  :thumb:
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline invariance

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 07:19:59 »
Welcome.

That reminds me, I should do a few more WU's.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 12:46:27 »
(I know I am a bit late but..) Joined  :thumb:

Nice! I've been playing solo for a bit. Come at me!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 04:58:49 »
Had to take a little break during some drama where I wasn't home at all. Back in the fold now!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 06:07:06 »
Welcome.

That reminds me, I should do a few more WU's.

A few more? You are crushing it and catching me! NICE!

Offline invariance

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 06:38:14 »
CRAP!!!!
Nearly had you  :)

I have slipped a few places in Overclockers Australia, so I'll have to go back pretty soon.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 08:15:32 »
CRAP!!!!
Nearly had you  :)

I have slipped a few places in Overclockers Australia, so I'll have to go back pretty soon.

You got me now! Gratz on first place!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 07:10:21 »
I'm still folding. Almost 7 mil points. 10 is my goal before I take a little break on my electric bill.

Anyone want to join me?