Author Topic: How to disable auto Watch for topics I've posted in?  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Coreda

How to disable auto Watch for topics I've posted in?
« on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 23:28:24 »
Each time I post in a topic I'm automatically subscribed to it, even though I can't find any settings I've enabled this on. Been happening since I joined but have never found a solution.

These are my notification settings:

82800-0

Nothing is enabled yet the board auto Watches each topic. Is there something I'm missing?

Offline Coreda

Re: How to disable auto Watch for topics I've posted in?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:45:25 »
Does anyone else experience this or know what's causing it? Seems like something that would be common, yet with the couple posters I spoke with awhile ago they haven't encountered this which is odd.

Offline Pliny

• has 1800 fever
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 23:43:27 »
It works that way for me too, but I have no more insight into it! I like it (for now), but it would be nice to know where the 'switch' is...
"He will never, ever give you up. And, most importantly, he will never, ever let you down.”
- Melania T.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 11:49:25 »
I've got a number of threads that keep notifying me despite clicking the [Unwatch] button on them. I've even clicked Watch, then Unwatch again, and yet the forum still notifies me every time the threads get bumped. This is getting a bit annoying :C

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 12:23:18 »
EDIT: Apparently I can't read...
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 12:25:37 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:16:10 »
FWIW I am not automatically subscribed to anything, with the same settings as illustrated above.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mogo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:57:59 »
I think for clarity we should distinguish Watched threads from Notified threads.
Watch just makes things appear in the "Show new replies to your posts." page
Notify makes the forum send emails to you when new things appear (useful for artisan-specific update threads ;] ).

So I guess my complaint is about threads that repeatedly show up in the Show New Replies area despite telling the forum that I no longer wish to watch them.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 17:30:37 »
I think for clarity we should distinguish Watched threads from Notified threads.
Watch just makes things appear in the "Show new replies to your posts." page
Notify makes the forum send emails to you when new things appear (useful for artisan-specific update threads ;] ).

So I guess my complaint is about threads that repeatedly show up in the Show New Replies area despite telling the forum that I no longer wish to watch them.

Yeah, only showed the Notify settings screenshot as it's the only page in the profile that has somewhat related options.

It's the 'Watched' link in the header that threads are being auto-subcribed to. I have to Unwatch every thread I post in (unless I'm wanting to watch it).
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 17:33:12 by Coreda »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 18:14:47 »
Same for me here, any thread I post in is auto-subscribed.  I make it a point to go through my subscribed list about once a week and clean it up.

The thing I hate the most is that I can't Unwatch a locked thread.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 18:39:34 »
My "Watched" list has about 17 threads listed in it.

I have definitely posted in more threads than that.

A lot more :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 04:08:54 »
Same for me here. The thing I hate the most is that I can't Unwatch a locked thread.

You can, just requires editing a URL. IIRC go into the locked thread and right-click the Notify button link and copy the URL, then paste in a addressbar and modify the 'notify' part of the URL to 'unwatch' and enter. Learned this from googling GH for the answer once.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 04:09:49 »
*double post* (board threw some error about integers)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 December 2014, 04:11:44 by Coreda »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:53:56 »

So what's the secret?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:54:30 »
Same for me here. The thing I hate the most is that I can't Unwatch a locked thread.

You can, just requires editing a URL. IIRC go into the locked thread and right-click the Notify button link and copy the URL, then paste in a addressbar and modify the 'notify' part of the URL to 'unwatch' and enter. Learned this from googling GH for the answer once.

Amazing!  Thank you!!!

Offline mogo

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 18:15:24 »

That's glorious, thank's for the tip!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 01:16:42 »

So what's the secret?

I have no idea!

I have not explicitly watched a thread, so I don't know how those ones got in there.

But I have definitely posted in many more threads than that, and the rest have not been added to the list.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 02:35:28 »
I have no idea!

I have not explicitly watched a thread, so I don't know how those ones got in there. But I have definitely posted in many more threads than that, and the rest have not been added to the list.

You joined in June 2012, 0100010 and myself joined in October 2012. Was there some transition to different forum software between that time? I'm wondering if something like that may have changed some settings behind the scenes for newer users while not affecting older users (hence why they don't notice anything).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 03:38:15 »
I have no idea!

I have not explicitly watched a thread, so I don't know how those ones got in there. But I have definitely posted in many more threads than that, and the rest have not been added to the list.

You joined in June 2012, 0100010 and myself joined in October 2012. Was there some transition to different forum software between that time? I'm wondering if something like that may have changed some settings behind the scenes for newer users while not affecting older users (hence why they don't notice anything).

r00tw0rm happened not long after I joined, can't remember if it was before or after October though.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 09:44:57 »
r00tw0rm happened not long after I joined, can't remember if it was before or after October though.

Yeah, thought it was around then. Would be good if an admin created a new account to see if they can reproduce this behavior, as it seems to only affect some users and not others.

Offline mogo

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 13:58:09 »
I've been modifying the Watch button URL to try and unwatch threads, but so far I've had no luck in keeping anything unwanted out of my "new replies" area. :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 16:47:01 »
What are you guys doing to me?!?!

I had 17 entries in my watch list, I deleted 1 and then there were 16.

Now there are two pages of them! :eek:

Edit: And so I visited a few of them and the list decreased.  But somehow I am automatically watching those threads now :confused:
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 16:52:57 by rowdy »

Offline mogo

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 18:05:25 »
Well yeah, the item disappears once you view the most recent post for the thread, but IT COMES BACK! AGAIN AND AGAIN! *runs in circles, arms flailing*  :confused:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 18:24:49 »
For me I had only 17 entries in that list representing more than two years of posting.

Until I started poking around to help in this thread.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:46:11 »

Edit: And so I visited a few of them and the list decreased.  But somehow I am automatically watching those threads now :confused:

You have my sympathies, yeah it can be an annoyance. Btw when was the last time you manually watched/unwatched topics?

Well yeah, the item disappears once you view the most recent post for the thread, but IT COMES BACK! AGAIN AND AGAIN! *runs in circles, arms flailing*  :confused:

This is normal behavior for watched topics. Once you've read new replies they remain in the 'All Watched Topics' section (next to the 'Unread Watched Topics' button). To remove them you have to manually open the topic and click the 'Unwatch' button.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:50:08 by Coreda »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 13:17:56 »

You have my sympathies, yeah it can be an annoyance. Btw when was the last time you manually watched/unwatched topics?

I don't.  I've seen that facility, but never used it.  Hence I have not idea how 17 entries got in there previously, nor why there are 30+ there now.

I do use the "notify" facility, and that seem to work as intended.

Offline blazarcher

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:30:20 »

I don't.  I've seen that facility, but never used it.  Hence I have not idea how 17 entries got in there previously, nor why there are 30+ there now.

I do use the "notify" facility, and that seem to work as intended.

Maybe a moderator fixed it while you guys were talking  :p
Filco Majestouch Ninja - Poker I