Author Topic: GH-122.2017 First Edition Prototype Test Kit  (Read 3448 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
GH-122.2017 First Edition Prototype Test Kit
« on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:17:11 »
[Mods: I think this is the correct place for this thread.  Please let me know, or just move it if not.  Thanks!]

GH-122.2017 First Edition Prototype Test Kit

This buy will be for the pre-production GH-122.2017 PCB and a minimal aluminum/acrylic case.  Approximately five experienced US builders will be able to purchase (at cost) a package containing the following:

GH-122.2017 Pre-Production "First Edition" PCB, signed and numbered
  • 6.5" x 19.5" x 1/8" Aluminum case bottom
  • 6.5" x 19.5" x 1/4" Black acrylic case center section
  • 6.5" x 19.5" x 1/8" acrylic top panel in builder's choice of color and layout*
  • qty=2 large black rubber rear feet
  • qty=4 small clear rubber front feet
  • qty=4 4-40 x 1/2" black button-head cap screws
  • qty=4 4-40 x 9/16" stainless button-head cap screws
  • qty=3 Green LEDs, low-profile round diffuse lens
  • qty=3 100ohm resistor

*Top Panel Options:
  • Upper Left Section (a) 2x2u  (b) solid/no opening
  • Top Center Function Section (a) 2x15u full  (b) 2x12u F-122  (c) 2x user-defined length and starting column
  • Top Right Section (a) 2x3u  (b) solid/no opening
  • Winkeyless blockers (a) 1u F-122 (b) 1.25u modified ANSI  (c) no blockers/full 5x15u opening
  • Nav section (a) 2x3u + inverted T (ANSI) (b) 2x3u + F-122 "cross" (c) full 5x3u "Phantom" opening
  • Color: Opaque Black, White, or Gray; Clear; Translucent Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, or Brown
  • GH-122 2017 engraving  (a) Engrave it!  (b) Keep it plain.
  • Or some combination I didn't imagine or list above.

This is a single-price test kit, and the builders must commit to actually building a keyboard from the kit.

Approximate Cost:
PCB: $60
Aluminum Base: $25
Acrylic spacer: $40
Acrylic top plate: $30

Total $155 (plus shipping, etc.)

You Need to Supply:
Flush-cutting is critical to make the top plate fit flush!

Related Items:

(1) TechKeys has Gateron Keyboard Switches at qty=150 for $43.50 USD plus shipping.  See http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/gateron-keyboard-switches to purchase.  They also have GMK PCB-mount stabilizers available.  Contact i3oilermaker for more information.

(2) WASD Keyboards has agreed to produce full custom sets of 122-150 keycaps for your GH-122 for only $65 USD plus shipping.  Contact me or WASD-Paige for details and instructions.

PICTURES AND DRAWINGS TO FOLLOW.  TIMEFRAME IS MARCH, 2017.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:22:36 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: GH-122.2017 First Edition Prototype Test Kit
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:17:25 »
mine 1
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:17:37 »
mine 2

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:21:25 »
You know I'm in. QMK is sitting here waiting for testing.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 20:34:14 »
Man, you said you were prepping a full kit and you weren't kidding. It's a little more than I expected, but hey, that's the price of experimentation.

I'm in and ready to see how badly I mangled that Soarer's config.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 09:38:18 »
Do you happen to have any Alps plate files made yet? I wanna help out on the alps side of the project :D

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:00:42 »
How soon would you want them built & tested? I'm really digging the idea of the split space bar (yeah I know but...) but I don't have a second T++, I might not have the diodes, I have no resistors I think although that's hardly a real show stopper...but on top of it I think March is shaping up to be a little crazier than I'm used to.

I'd like to be in, if 'built and tested after tax time" is soon enough ... although if the 'real' run will be up by then, I'm totally up for participating in that, instead.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 09:58:14 »
Quick update:

#1 I am not the Alps guy you are looking for.  Sorry.

#2 The reason for the test run is to test the PCBs before I have a larger run produced.  The reason I included the plate and case parts is so that (a) people would actually build the things and thereby test them, and (b) because qty=5 is the smallest number where a base plate can be made at a reasonable price. 

#3 I included all of the little parts because I had to buy 25-100 of each of them to get any, so now I have plenty.

As to timing, the only key element is that the PCB gets tested before I do a production run.  The timeline is really up to the people who want that run to happen.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:41:46 »
FWIW, I have a Teensy++ and diodes on hand.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 19:43:25 »
So, when about will you be seeing who all gets to order the test kit? Cause my schedule this week is awful.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 09:58:05 »
My plan is to wait until there are at least five test builders, then place an order for 10 PCBs and get hard quotes for case parts.

Once the PCBs arrive, I'll build and test at least one using MX switches at all positions.  Then and only then will I ask for the test builders' money, and finally order their case parts.  When those come in (a week later?), I\ll dry-assemble and ship the kits.

That could happen next week or next month.

FYI, I am open to an alternative path if at least five people demand it.  My only goal is for the people who want to build a GH-122 are able to do so.  I have mine already!, and I recommend left-side function keys to everyone!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 13:27:37 »
Alright, so we basically need 5 people to commit before you order anything. I'm in for sure.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:16:57 »
I've really got my heart set on building one into my IBM M-122 case. I'm totally down to build the acrylic kit, but I'd be down to get another PCB as well.

As an aside, what's the best way to affix it in the case? Somehow attach it to the old model M plate?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 09:42:56 »
I've really got my heart set on building one into my IBM M-122 case. I'm totally down to build the acrylic kit, but I'd be down to get another PCB as well.

As an aside, what's the best way to affix it in the case? Somehow attach it to the old model M plate?

The main PCB is attached to the bottom of the case and centered with a few small spacers.  The top function block is attached to the top of the case with another couple of spacers and some hot glue.  Solder together with jumper wires, and there you go.  See the main thread for spacer dimensions.  Also, the USB cable takes a sharp left-hand turn at the Teensy, so you'll need a 90-degree USB cable.

I found the result too soft, so I added a 60% Poker plate to stiffen the main section.  YMMV.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 22:33:57 »
Bump?

How many contestants do we have now? At least three, but I haven't re-read this in a couple weeks at least.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 22:43:55 »
Hi,
The sign-up for the prototype is in a newer thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88063.0;topicseen
Options are:
  • First Edition GH-122.2017 PCB Only
  • First Edition GH-122.2017 PCB + Sandwich Case Kit.
  • Production GH-122.2017 PCB Only after the prototype test builds
Check it out!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”