Author Topic: My Deck Francium Pro 87 Review  (Read 15574 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
My Deck Francium Pro 87 Review
« on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:15:10 »

I of course touch on the very subjective choice of Font by Deck, but putting that aside what about the keyboard itself as a whole?

Be warned it's a long video

Any specific questions you may have feel free to ask here or in the comments section on the video.

Please note: Unlike many of my latest reviews this product was NOT provided to me at a discount or free of cost.  I paid for this board 100% out of my own pocket.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 04:23:14 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: My Deck Francium Pro 87 Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 11:08:13 »
I agree, Deck keyboards (TG3/DSI or whoever they are..) have a bit of a bad reputation because of the font. But the doubleshot pbt caps pass the paint thinner test (https://mechkb.com/blog/mechkb-labs/genuine-deck-hassium-doubleshot/).

They're legit, but personally, I think they need to separate their consumer keyboard designs from their Police interceptor designs. I think that's what they were trying to do with the font but if they kept with a traditional font and changed the case design/color I think they might have a bit more of a competitive edge in the consumer market. They could include the waterproofing gaskets from the police interceptor models (http://imgur.com/gallery/hfjtI) :cool:

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 14:06:58 »
Honestly thus far I am enjoying this one so much I am considering buying an MX Blue variant as well...Though I may hold out for a bit to see if we get a Font change.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline matt_s

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 06:08:04 »
Is it possible to swap the layout of keys using the programming function? I would like to be able to remap to HHKB layout like you can with a KUL using the dip switches.

e.g. Can you swap control with caps-lock?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 12:11:52 »
Is it possible to swap the layout of keys using the programming function? I would like to be able to remap to HHKB layout like you can with a KUL using the dip switches.

e.g. Can you swap control with caps-lock?

Truthfully I am uncertain, I have yet to use that feature of the board.

However here is the manual online discussing the feature in depth.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/sites/default/files/CBL87P-User%20Manual.pdf
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline MJL

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 01:59:25 »
Had the Hassium with cherry mx brown two years ago and stupidly sold it off when I changed to an Apple Mc mini (running windows). Bought last month an ASUS VC65R and have just bought the plain, non-backlit, Francium which has ABS keycaps with cherry mx blue. (after extensive investigation into other options) I hope that cherry mx blue will have less typing errors and I look forward to having a TKL keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 02:08:11 by MJL »

Offline mushman

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 18:59:27 »
Here is a most unusual Deck keyboard review by someone in South Korea:

I've never seen a keyboard review done while standing before.  :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 19:33:13 »
Here is a most unusual Deck keyboard review by someone in South Korea:

I've never seen a keyboard review done while standing before.  :p

Really? Linus Media Group?

Offline MJL

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 03:08:20 »
The woman must be a teacher thinking she is standing in front of a bunch of students sitting in class.

I'm bummed off, my order for the Deck Francium fell through, ordering from the USA instead would have more than doubled the cost and finished up ordering a Leopold FC660M with blue Cherry MX.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 19:46:35 »
Recent Update: But I have yet to switch out this keyboard since it took over as my daily driver.  It has very quickly become my new favorite which was NOT expected at ALL going into it.  I have not even had the urge to look into buying other boards which is a relative first for me.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline MJL

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:11:03 »
Recent Update: But I have yet to switch out this keyboard since it took over as my daily driver.  It has very quickly become my new favorite which was NOT expected at ALL going into it.  I have not even had the urge to look into buying other boards which is a relative first for me.

I would have been very happy with the Francium, unfortunately the order could not be fulfilled by the vendor. In hindsight it worked out OK: the Leopold FC660M better fits my needs. I really like Deck's PBT double shot keycaps (in spite of the unusual font).

Offline smart5088

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 19:39:22 »
This good keyboard

Offline Vlada011

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 13:30:49 »
I liked your video on Youtube.
I have Deck 87 Francium Pro as well.
I'm very happy that my sample from mechanical keyboards arrived with rubber pads on feets with 2 levels.
My model is White Backlight Cherry MX Brown. But I didn't bought keyboard because light and most of time is disabled or light only when I press some key.
Great keyboard.

If some people don't like fonts they could replace keycaps or even use some different colors.
WASD Keyboards offer PBT Keycaps in Black and Grey color.
It's important is quality of keyboard and PCB.

From other keyboards I only like
WASD V2 TKL because Cherry MX Clear
and
Filco Convertible 2 TKL because Bluetooth.
But Filco need keycaps replacement at least on double shoot ABS SA Profile.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 11:00:35 »
I liked your video on Youtube.
I have Deck 87 Francium Pro as well.
I'm very happy that my sample from mechanical keyboards arrived with rubber pads on feets with 2 levels.
My model is White Backlight Cherry MX Brown. But I didn't bought keyboard because light and most of time is disabled or light only when I press some key.
Great keyboard.

If some people don't like fonts they could replace keycaps or even use some different colors.
WASD Keyboards offer PBT Keycaps in Black and Grey color.
It's important is quality of keyboard and PCB.

From other keyboards I only like
WASD V2 TKL because Cherry MX Clear
and
Filco Convertible 2 TKL because Bluetooth.
But Filco need keycaps replacement at least on double shoot ABS SA Profile.

The only Cherry TKL I would tie with this board right now would likely be my Leopold, but then I think it comes down to does someone prefer backlit or not. 

Thanks for watching and it's definitely an often overlooked board that deserves more credit.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 22:05:51 »

What does it do so well?

Offline Vlada011

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 14:01:08 »
I personaly think that Deck Francium Pro is better without LED.
Because PBT keycaps are definitely not for LEDs.

Now I only want to find Aluminum case compatible with Deck Francium PRO.
Someone could help me.
Why Francium Pro is not compatible with Filco aluminum case?

Offline MJL

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 23:33:08 »

I would have been very happy with the Francium, unfortunately the order could not be fulfilled by the vendor. In hindsight it worked out OK: the Leopold FC660M better fits my needs. I really like Deck's PBT double shot keycaps (in spite of the unusual font).

I had to buy a replacement after a mishap happened with my Leopold FC660M keyboard. I also had bought genuine Leopold blue dye-sublimated keycaps to replace the laser etched ones but with my wife (who has eye problems) found the legends hard to distinguish (on the odd occasion that she used my computer). As I often use my computer late at night I was considering if I should go back to a Deck Francium (for having backlighting) or get the Leopold FC660M PD (comes with double shot PBT  :thumb:) in white with top lettering.

It was a very difficult decision :-\, almost came down to a coin toss  :eek:, and in the end I went for the Leopold FC660M PD. Both keyboards are that good.

A few things stood out as difference (going by memory of the earlier Deck): The Leopold having less noise (has a noise damping matt) in spite that the Deck was MX Brown and the Leopold MX Blue, the space bar on the Leopold seemed to work a tad better, the backlighting of the Deck uneven (I had blue LED's and that color annoyed me no end so had it mostly switched off) and the surface of the keys (Leopold being very smooth, the Deck textured). The choice mainly depends on your personal preference and as when I wanted to buy previously a Deck Francium: availability at the time you buy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 April 2018, 04:09:38 by MJL »