Author Topic: Model M keycaps in UK ?  (Read 5821 times)

Offline mmd

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 07:59:23 »
Hello all,

The title says it all. I recently found an old 1391406 at my workplace and unfortunately its missing keycaps. I had a look around the web without luck so I am asking you guys: is there a place in the UK (alternatively other EU country) where I can find Model M keycaps? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Laggy-gaga

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 08:16:23 »
There is a mini group buy in deskthority
guys want to order stuff from unicomp
if u want to find a single piece of keys, just go clickykeyboards and spend a dollar.
if a whole set
go deskthority
deadline Friday, so hurry
Working: Ducky Dragon Blue
Looking for: 356L
For sale:Benchmark DAC1+Stello U3+Amber,RS1i,GS1000i,HE400,HD650,w4r,se535LE
AU only

Offline nathanscribe

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 13:52:56 »
... or just order directly from Unicomp at your leisure (http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/)
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline theferenc

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 17:15:06 »
I was going to suggest the group buy at deskthority, as well. What, exactly, do you need? I have bags of incomplete sets, and I was going to be ordering another set to replace the incomplete set on a keyboard that I recently received that are stained beyond cleaning, so odds are good I have what you need.

You pay shipping, and they are yours, if I have them. I even have ISO enters and left shifts, as well as the stabilizer plug you would need for the vertical keys.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 18:01:14 »
Unicomp is pretty much the only way to go. At least the keycaps wont cost much to ship.

Offline mmd

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 06:50:44 »
Thank you for all the replies. Im gonna order from unicomp, but I find it odd that one cant find anything in the UK even though model m used to be manufactured here..

Offline dreamingftw

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:21:55 »
Does anyone who has ordered from unicomp know how much it usually costs to order key caps? Thanks in advance

Offline grasshopper

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 06:33:30 »
Hi, I live in the UK and I'm also after a single missing keycap for my Model M. I've tried clickykeyboards in the past but they charge a minimum of $15 for shipping! That might not be a lot in the greater scheme of things. But it's far too much for shipping a tiny piece of plastic worth $1.

The keycap I'm after is }]

Can anyone here help?

Thanks in advance.

Offline grasshopper

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 06:41:21 »
Quote from: Laggy-gaga;379454
There is a mini group buy in deskthority
guys want to order stuff from unicomp
if u want to find a single piece of keys, just go clickykeyboards and spend a dollar.
if a whole set
go deskthority
deadline Friday, so hurry

That sounds very interesting. Can you provide a link? Unfortunately, I've missed the deadline but presumably there might be another group buy in the future.

I'm interested in buying an all-black Model M keyboard from Unicomp. That is assuming that such a thing exists. According to their website they sell keyboards with black cases, but not black keys. Having said that the site looks like it was designed in the early 90s so perhaps it just needs updating.

Offline prd

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 07:04:49 »
Quote from: grasshopper;385834
I'm interested in buying an all-black Model M keyboard from Unicomp. That is assuming that such a thing exists. According to their website they sell keyboards with black cases, but not black keys. Having said that the site looks like it was designed in the early 90s so perhaps it just needs updating.

You mean like this?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21929[/ATTACH]

If you don't mind blanks, just ask for an extra black keys set when you order the board. Though it's not advertised, they should have them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2011, 07:10:32 by prd »

Offline grasshopper

Model M keycaps in UK ?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 04:40:15 »
Quote from: prd;385838
You mean like this?

If you don't mind blanks, just ask for an extra black keys set when you order the board.

Interesting idea but I'm not really hard-core enough to use a keyboard with blank keys.