Author Topic: TextMate  (Read 1812 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
TextMate
« on: Sat, 31 May 2008, 22:45:16 »
Just recently re-mac-afied myself and am starting to use some of my old OS X-specific tools again.  

I had forgotten how much I absolutely love TextMate.  This editor alone is justification to have a key layout with the Esc and Tab keys close by. (completion lists and abbreviations rock)

TextMate has bundles that support a ton of different formats, programming languages, etc.  Here is a brief example . . .

Using the HTML language bundle, I can type "h1" and then hit Tab.  

immediately pops up with the cursor between the > and <. Not only that...as you enter your headline text, the id portion is filled out as well, replacing spaces with underscores.  

If you do any amount of text entry...especially if there is a lot of repetitive stuff, I strongly suggest checking TextMate out.

Offline Waves77

TextMate
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 June 2008, 00:02:22 »
Quote from: iMav;5030
Just recently re-mac-afied myself and am starting to use some of my old OS X-specific tools again.  

I had forgotten how much I absolutely love TextMate.  This editor alone is justification to have a key layout with the Esc and Tab keys close by. (completion lists and abbreviations rock)

TextMate has bundles that support a ton of different formats, programming languages, etc.  Here is a brief example . . .

Using the HTML language bundle, I can type "h1" and then hit Tab.  

immediately pops up with the cursor between the > and <. Not only that...as you enter your headline text, the id portion is filled out as well, replacing spaces with underscores.  

If you do any amount of text entry...especially if there is a lot of repetitive stuff, I strongly suggest checking TextMate out.

I've never used a Mac extensively... textmate seems to come up a lot in threads about favorite editors though.

Right now I'm using Komodo Editor a lot, have you checked it out?

Does all the autocompletion stuff (for htm;, variables, functions,... you name it). One really cool feature is that it also does auto-completion for user defined functions - e.g. it gives you a list of parameters.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.