Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 10:07:06 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:46:17 by esoomenona »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: The Wetshaving Thread
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 10:27:10 »
Hey, I got my first straight razor like 2 weeks ago, was super happy so I tried it the same day. I only prepared for wetshaving, took the razor out of the box and shaved with it. But it was dull and got more dull after doing half my face.

I contacted the company where I got it from and they are going to rehone it and even send me a cheap one to train on. I talked to the guy and also read more on razor forums and I am now 99% sure I did something wrong even if I was very careful.

I did many errors I think, here they are:

1. I did not remove the oil on the blade before using it
2. I put the blade down on a towel before starting, and maybe the blade touched the towel and it might have been enough to dull it.
3. I had a 4-5 days beard. I don't like to shave very often so I always to that, but after reading it seems I should not do that until I am more proficient with the razor.
4. My lack of technique might have dulled it more during the shave.

Still, even if I was pissed after that shave, I still managed to somewhat get used to put it on my face and get a better feeling of the motion (I was very persistent and shave for like 45 min before giving up). And even if my face was badly burned (more so since I had a small sunburn that I realized after), well I did't get anything close to a bad cut (ok, the alum kinda burned, but I was all ok after a few hours).

So even if I am supposed to talk to the guy at the razor shop before shaving again when I receive it, I would be very grateful if someone experienced could give me some tips of what to do and what not to do for a beginner so that I don't end ruining my edged a second time. I know that the first time I strop is going to be a challenge, but as long as I get at least a good shave the first time, I don't mind having to learn it in the long run.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline godly_music

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:10:11 »
I would assume instead that the razor they sent you was not shaving sharp. This happens A LOT more than you'd think, even with some products from Solingen manufacture. Resting the razor sideways on a towel, not wiping off oil or having a beard (even a full beard) are no showstoppers for a perfect shave. You can't shave long hair with a system razor, but straight razors do it without a hiccup. I wouldn't worry; you most likely didn't ruin the edge. It simply came dull.

Yes, bad technique will dull the blade a bit faster than good technique, but ultimately every shave will put wear on it. You need 3 things here: Leather strop to straighten the edge before every shave (not afterwards, let the edge rest for at least 1-2 days after a shave), another strop with some very fine polishing paste (I use an old leather belt with chromium oxide paste) that you'll use ONCE when blade sharpness cannot be restored to satisfaction by a simple strop anymore, and finally a very fine stone to sharpen it on, if you ever **** your blade up. 6000 Japanese grit and upwards, this is basically the coarsest you'll ever use on a straight razor.

I haven't had my straight razor that long yet, but I can get 10-15 good shaves and strops out of it before I have to paste polish it once. But the number can be as low as 8 or as high as.. dozens. Some people think paste is a travesty, but they usually have various sharpening stones to make up for it. Stropping technique is also very important, you can ruin an edge with too much pressure.

The proper way to strop is to hold onto the metal bit below the blade with index finger and thumb on the sides (no hard pressure from the top!). Lay it flat on its side against the leather so that the spine as well as the edge equally and lightly touch the leather. Then drag it slowly (speed comes when you've got the technique down) in the direction of the spine. You'll hear a distinct, light sound telling you that the edge is being stroked. Most strops are not wide enough to accomodate a full blade, so you'll strop slightly diagonally to make sure the full edge is being stropped. When done with a stroke, turn it around 180° with the blade turning upwards and repeat the stroke in the other direction. You don't have to pull too hard on the strop, just lean back a bit and let your bodyweight keep it straight. The big thing is to find out how light of a touch is light enough so you work the blade without doing harm to it. I usually do about 20 strokes for each side, but YMMV. Still learning all this myself.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:12:58 by godly_music »

Offline JPG

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:23:57 »
I would assume instead that the razor they sent you was not shaving sharp. This happens A LOT more than you'd think, even with some products from Solingen manufacture. Resting the razor sideways on a towel, not wiping off oil or having a beard (even a full beard) are no showstoppers for a perfect shave. You can't shave long hair with a system razor, but straight razors do it without a hiccup. I wouldn't worry; you most likely didn't ruin the edge. It simply came dull.

Yes, bad technique will dull the blade a bit faster than good technique, but ultimately every shave will put wear on it. You need 3 things here: Leather strop to straighten the edge before every shave (not afterwards, let the edge rest for at least 1-2 days after a shave), another strop with some very fine polishing paste (I use an old leather belt with chromium oxide paste) that you'll use ONCE when blade sharpness cannot be restored to satisfaction by a simple strop anymore, and finally a very fine stone to sharpen it on, if you ever **** your blade up. 6000 Japanese grit and upwards, this is basically the coarsest you'll ever use on a straight razor.

I haven't had my straight razor that long yet, but I can get 10-15 good shaves and strops out of it before I have to paste polish it once. But the number can be as low as 8 or as high as.. dozens. Some people think paste is a travesty, but they usually have various sharpening stones to make up for it. Stropping technique is also very important, you can ruin an edge with too much pressure.

The proper way to strop is to hold onto the metal bit below the blade with index finger and thumb on the sides (no hard pressure from the top!). Lay it flat on its side against the leather so that the spine as well as the edge equally and lightly touch the leather. Then drag it slowly (speed comes when you've got the technique down) in the direction of the spine. You'll hear a distinct, light sound telling you that the edge is being stroked. Most strops are not wide enough to accomodate a full blade, so you'll strop slightly diagonally to make sure the full edge is being stropped. When done with a stroke, turn it around 180° with the blade turning upwards and repeat the stroke in the other direction. You don't have to pull too hard on the strop, just lean back a bit and let your bodyweight keep it straight. The big thing is to find out how light of a touch is light enough so you work the blade without doing harm to it. I usually do about 20 strokes for each side, but YMMV. Still learning all this myself.

Thx for the info. I bought the stuff to maintain the blade (strop, balsa wood with chromium, 12k grit naniwa super stone). But I never got to use it yet before the blade got dull during the first shave (or before). I'll see what happens when I get it back. I hope it will all go well. I still have a hard time knowing how the blade became so dull so fast. It was really supposed to be shave ready (honed by the shop selling it), but well.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:32:10 »
Hey, I got my first straight razor like 2 weeks ago, was super happy so I tried it the same day. I only prepared for wetshaving, took the razor out of the box and shaved with it. But it was dull and got more dull after doing half my face.

I contacted the company where I got it from and they are going to rehone it and even send me a cheap one to train on. I talked to the guy and also read more on razor forums and I am now 99% sure I did something wrong even if I was very careful.

2. I put the blade down on a towel before starting, and maybe the blade touched the towel and it might have been enough to dull it.
3. I had a 4-5 days beard. I don't like to shave very often so I always to that, but after reading it seems I should not do that until I am more proficient with the razor.

Still, even if I was pissed after that shave, I still managed to somewhat get used to put it on my face and get a better feeling of the motion (I was very persistent and shave for like 45 min before giving up). And even if my face was badly burned (more so since I had a small sunburn that I realized after), well I did't get anything close to a bad cut (ok, the alum kinda burned, but I was all ok after a few hours).

So even if I am supposed to talk to the guy at the razor shop before shaving again when I receive it, I would be very grateful if someone experienced could give me some tips of what to do and what not to do for a beginner so that I don't end ruining my edged a second time. I know that the first time I strop is going to be a challenge, but as long as I get at least a good shave the first time, I don't mind having to learn it in the long run.

(That might actually help the shave.  Also might give you acne).

(Won't dull it.)

(Straight razors work better if you have longer hairs.  There is more to grab on to).

(Maybe if you dropped it :P)

I agree with godly_music that it probably wasn't sharp enough.  Most good companies machine sharpen the blades to about 70% of the blades potential.  Other companies make straight razors more for decoration than actually using (most companies based in China). 

I can sharpen the blade for you if it doesn't work out for shipping fees + $10 if you'd like.

I disagree with godly_music that " 6000 Japanese grit and upwards, this is basically the coarsest you'll ever use on a straight razor.". 
I refurbish old razors and it is common to use 600-1000 grit to take out chips in the blade and 4000 grit to reset the bevel and during the sharpening process.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:34:09 by PointyFox »

Offline godly_music

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:45:36 »
Yeah, fixing a badly messed up edge with high grit would take ages. I'm also trying to nab a beat-up beauty off ebay so I can fix it up. Looks like fun.

Offline JPG

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:51:41 »

(That might actually help the shave.  Also might give you acne).

(Won't dull it.)

(Straight razors work better if you have longer hairs.  There is more to grab on to).

(Maybe if you dropped it :P)

I agree with godly_music that it probably wasn't sharp enough.  Most good companies machine sharpen the blades to about 70% of the blades potential.  Other companies make straight razors more for decoration than actually using (most companies based in China). 

I can sharpen the blade for you if it doesn't work out for shipping fees + $10 if you'd like.

I disagree with godly_music that " 6000 Japanese grit and upwards, this is basically the coarsest you'll ever use on a straight razor.". 
I refurbish old razors and it is common to use 600-1000 grit to take out chips in the blade and 4000 grit to reset the bevel and during the sharpening process.

Well, then the razor had to be dull when I got it. Strange since it's a Robert Williams custom razor that I got from classicedge ... but well I suppose QA issues are everywhere. At least they will hone it for free, but shipping cost sucks!

Well thx for the answers anyway!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 01:43:49 »
My safety razor and blades came today.  I went with the long handled Merkur 23C, and I have a boar hair brush, soap, and cup which was a chrismast gift from years back.

This was a very enjoyable shave.  I'm sure I'll be using this for years now.  My face thanks those of the Wetshaving thread.  Thanks :D
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 02:51:32 »
My safety razor and blades came today.  I went with the long handled Merkur 23C, and I have a boar hair brush, soap, and cup which was a chrismast gift from years back.

This was a very enjoyable shave.  I'm sure I'll be using this for years now.  My face thanks those of the Wetshaving thread.  Thanks :D

So no more beard? :(

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 04:26:47 »
i've got some proraso coming in the mail soon... we'll see how i like it i guess.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 07:54:57 »
i've got some proraso coming in the mail soon... we'll see how i like it i guess.

prorasso is very good for the price!
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 09:11:15 »

So no more beard? :(

Controlled beard.  The lady loves it.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 09:23:18 »

prorasso is very good for the price!

I agree.  One of the better shave creams I have used.  Make sure to do a quick pass under some hot water with the proraso before you start to help soften the soap a bit.  This contributes significantly to the lather (it lathers so well, that if you are in a hurry, you can just lather in your off hand instead of a cup/bowl). 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:29:40 »
you can just lather in your off hand instead of a cup/bowl). 

that is my plan :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:30:11 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:46:43 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 16:48:25 »
my bad i didnt order proraso, i ordered musco real. i got it confused with a brush that the company i heard about  it from carries.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:31:03 by sth »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:32:04 »
update: musco real is awesome. little to no prep time, smells and feels better than barbasol for sure and is more convenient than solid soaps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:42:10 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:46:52 by esoomenona »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:45:06 »
3 days and 0 irritation.  None... amazing.  I feel like a new dapper gent.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:50:42 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:47:00 by esoomenona »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:51:00 »
3 days and 0 irritation.  None... amazing.  I feel like a new dapper gent.

How do you like the boar brush? Which brush was it? Have you been soaking it beforehand, so as to soften it up?

The boar brush I have has no name.  I used boar hair brushes (not this brush) for oil painting, and I can verify the authenticity of the bristles on this lather brush as being genuine.  Boar's hair will become more and more soft over time if you use a brush conditioner.  Hair conditioner will also work, but I prefer the brush conditioner I use with my oil paint brushes.  Of course I use new brush conditioner which is not contaminated with anything which would irritate my face.  The thing I like about boar's hair is that when conditioned it is very tough to break.

Before lathering I just get the brush wet with near scalding hot water.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:52:35 by Binge »

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:40:51 »
Before lathering I just get the brush wet with near scalding hot water.
I do that then use the brush to lather on my face, works way better than a bowl/cup/hand imo
I have a no-name boars brush and have definitely noticed it has gotten better with age, thought I was just a placebo effect but that's interesting

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:46:15 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:47:11 by esoomenona »

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:58:41 »
Use the last 3 hours reading up on wetshaving and looking at equipment/products, why is it that this forum makes me want to spend my money like a crazy person? :S
I'm going to wish for a safety razor for christmas I think. The whole process of lathering and then shaving reminds me of my grandfather somehow, feels "right" somehow.
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:59:00 »
For a new boar's brush I'd suggest for a faster break-in to get the brush conditioned.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:11:13 »
Oh btw, have any of you tried out the Merkur Futur? From what I have read it seems like a beginner-friendly razor. Just a bit concerned since some reviews said that the head of the razor was a bit too big, making it hard to shave under the nose etc.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:23:00 »
Use the last 3 hours reading up on wetshaving and looking at equipment/products, why is it that this forum makes me want to spend my money like a crazy person? :S
I'm going to wish for a safety razor for christmas I think. The whole process of lathering and then shaving reminds me of my grandfather somehow, feels "right" somehow.

you dont need as much as you think and you definitely dont have to spend as much as it may seem. check out thrift stores and yard sales (even ebay sometimes) for old handles. a boar hair brush is more than fine; i'd say start with that and use it for a good long while before you think you need to get something nicer. you can buy fancy merkur handles and badger brushes but at that point you're approaching diminishing returns. hell, my roommate uses a $2 handle he got in chinatown.

shaving can be a hobby to some, which i dont understand but that's fine. if you want to go that route, more power to you and i feel sorry for your wallet. otherwise, the nice thing about shaving with a safety razor is the cost. you can get away with spending 5x as much as cartridge razors cost buying all the fancy gear, or you can spend a 1/10th of the cost you'd normally spend on that stuff and still get a great shave daily. the real benefit comes from the blades (or lackthereof) screwing up your skin.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:42:09 »
^ truths stated.

I got my merkur 23C and blades for cheap... it cost me about $24 to get started.  A brush and lather soap?  free for Christmas some years ago.  Best feeling razors for an acceptable amount.

Glad I started, doubt I will go much further because it works.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 17:31:08 »
I agree with sth and binge as well.  My razor was a gift from my Wife, so I know that she probably paid a premium for it (Merkur Progress long) as well as the shaving cream, badger brush, and pre-shave oil (all from Art of Shaving).  That was almost 3 years ago, and I have been replacing the AoS stuff with more common (and cheaper) products and have moved from Merkur blades to Feathers.   In the last 2 years, I have probably only spent about $30 in product/blades.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:36:59 »
I got a huge sample pack of 12 different kinds of blades
feather and astra are my favorites so far

If you want to get into this on the cheap, check out this kit for under 9 bucks shipped, and can be found at target, wally world, etc...
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Premium-Shave-Brush/dp/B001A3HPT0
you get a decent boar brush, a ceramic bowl, and shaving SOAP (not cream, but still a decent lather, but not a cream lather, ie. buy some cream!!!!!)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 18:11:36 »
Cost of DE shaving:
Edwin Jagger Badger Brush: $160
Edwin Jagger DE Razor: $40
Castle Forbes Shaving Cream: $50
Styptic: $3
10 Feather Blades $5

Total: $258

Cost of cartridge shaving:
Shaver: Free
1 Cartridge (lasts as long as 10 DE blades): $2.50
1 Can Barbasol : $1

Total : $3.50

What did I do wrong?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 18:29:28 »
You could have saved on these two:
Edwin Jagger Badger Brush: $160 - a boar brush is a lot cheaper
Castle Forbes Shaving Cream: $50 - cheap shaving cream from Nivea does the job very well

Also:
wat

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:28:02 »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 22:30:15 »
Cost of DE shaving:
10 Feather Blades $5

What did I do wrong?

I report liars.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 22:31:11 »
What did I do wrong?

Looks like everything....

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 23:07:37 »
beast get out of this thread you haven't hit puberty
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 11:41:47 »
Cost of DE shaving:
10 Feather Blades $5

What did I do wrong?

Lol cartridge blades do not even last as long an 1 de blade. Also barbasol will destroy your face.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 12:22:59 »
Cost of DE shaving:
10 Feather Blades $5

What did I do wrong?

I report liars.

I'll send you a picture of my stuff if you don't believe me.  I have one of these, but in medium: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-Silver-Tip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Extra-Large-Imitation-Ivory_p_736.html.

Cost of DE shaving:
10 Feather Blades $5

What did I do wrong?

Lol cartridge blades do not even last as long an 1 de blade. Also barbasol will destroy your face.

1 DE blade lasts me 1-3 days.  1 cartridge lasts me about 3 months.  Also, I like Barbasol more than Proraso or Castle Forbes.  It lubricates just as well for me, costs less, and lathers instantly. 

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 14:30:11 »
Cost of DE shaving:
10 Feather Blades $5

What did I do wrong?

I report liars.

I'll send you a picture of my stuff if you don't believe me.  I have one of these, but in medium: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-Silver-Tip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Extra-Large-Imitation-Ivory_p_736.html.

Cost of DE shaving:
10 Feather Blades $5

What did I do wrong?

1 DE blade lasts me 1-3 days.  1 cartridge lasts me about 3 months.  Also, I like Barbasol more than Proraso or Castle Forbes.  It lubricates just as well for me, costs less, and lathers instantly.

well... good on you :) im sure most if not all of the other people in this thread will disagree with you, not that it matters, but I'm glad you found love in the cartridge and arasol can :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:25:21 »
Been wetshaving with a Mach 3 for around three years. Last January I got myself an Edwin Jagger DE87 and loved the transition. Over the summer I got a Merker Futur adjustable and holy wow has it made my shaves quicker and smoother. I'm excited to try a slant bar as well but I'm waiting to dial in on my ideal setting with the Futur.

I prefer synthetic badger brushes since I'm not a big fan of animals in my products but I also like the stout feel of boar brushes. I use mostly soaps but I have the Taylor of Old Bond Street avocado shaving cream that I bust out for special occasions. I've been meaning to get a lavender cream as well.

My best blade with the EJ was Derby but I'm liking 7a.m. and Astra Platinums in the Futur where the blade can be a bit more exposed.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 13:25:43 »
I got a free sample of these and they're a lot better than other multiblade cartridges (>2 blades) that I've tried since they don't get jammed as easily, maybe because the blades are supposedly thinner:

Offline Winther

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:17:48 »
Recently I considered an old fashioned straight razer, mostly because I think it would be really cool to be good at and because my usual philips shaver just doenst get it nice and close to the sking without using too much time and irritating my skin.

What are the essentials when starting out with something like this?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 21:41:28 »
Recently I considered an old fashioned straight razer, mostly because I think it would be really cool to be good at and because my usual philips shaver just doenst get it nice and close to the sking without using too much time and irritating my skin.

What are the essentials when starting out with something like this?

You need to learn how to do it before you actually do it.

Items you'll want are:
Leather strop for stropping before each shave
Vaseline or similar for protecting the blade between uses

Then either:
Something to temporarily sharpen (polish) the edge every few months, like a balsa wood strop or cloth strop with fine polishing paste like chromium and iron oxides, though you will need to send this to someone to resharpen it after a year or so,
or
a Norton 4000/8000 grit waterstone to do a better job and actually sharpen it instead of polishing it.

Offline Winther

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:50:27 »
I have watched a few youtube tutorials about it, but maybe I can find somewhere to get a lesson in it.. :)

The sites I recently looked at about this had only straight razor looking knives where you had to change the blade out for a normal razorblade, like this one:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2Fdx88U9QfSSqEqRH1MKzA_razorblade.jpg

I dont have the money to start this at the moment, but i will deff. look into it when I do! :)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 05:38:22 »
Just got this as a delayed birthday present;

And I thought that getting anything better than the cheap, mostly plastic, DE and boar brush wasn't going to be all that much of an improvement, but I might've been wrong about that. It's fantastic, I was a bit sceptical to the adjustable feature, but after trying it out I have to say that I love it. And the badger brush is really good, so much better than boar.

Already excited for my next shave, still have some kinks in my technique that I want to straighten out.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 06:11:58 »
I have watched a few youtube tutorials about it, but maybe I can find somewhere to get a lesson in it.. :)

The sites I recently looked at about this had only straight razor looking knives where you had to change the blade out for a normal razorblade, like this one:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2Fdx88U9QfSSqEqRH1MKzA_razorblade.jpg

I dont have the money to start this at the moment, but i will deff. look into it when I do! :)

Oh, those are probably shavettes.  http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Shavette
You could check them out to see if you'd like using a straight razor since the shaving style is the same and shavettes tend to be cheap.
Though they're a bit more dangerous than a straight razor if you do it wrong.

Show Image

And I thought that getting anything better than the cheap, mostly plastic, DE and boar brush wasn't going to be all that much of an improvement, but I might've been wrong about that. It's fantastic, I was a bit sceptical to the adjustable feature, but after trying it out I have to say that I love it. And the badger brush is really good, so much better than boar.

Already excited for my next shave, still have some kinks in my technique that I want to straighten out.
That set looks nice.  Is that a Merkur Futur? 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 06:16:12 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:48:19 by esoomenona »

Offline Winther

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:45:15 »

Show Image

Anyone know where I can get a set like this in Europe, doesnt have to be this one exactly, but similar and with a badger brush? :)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:57:25 »

Show Image

Anyone know where I can get a set like this in Europe, doesnt have to be this one exactly, but similar and with a badger brush? :)

There are plenty of UK stores selling them, there are also a few sites in Norway and Sweden where you could get them from if you prefer. Although a quick google turned up a few Danish sites selling shaving gear, so I suggest you look at those first and see if they have what you're looking for.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 15:13:46 »
Kjøpte du fra barbershop.no?