Author Topic: PC sound upgrading with standalone subwoofer + speakers-Audiophiles input needed  (Read 13777 times)

Offline bazemk1979

Ive found the best thing you can do for PC sound is to forget it has onboard sound entirely (And definitely don't get an aftermarket soundcard) and get a USB DAC. This only works for 2.1 but if thats all you need then a decent USB DAC/Amp is the way to go.

I have never seen a soundcard since the end of the PCI days that managed to isolate itself enough from the rest of the PC's power to not hear a hum in the background when using analogue out. The hum will usually rise and fall with the soundcards power draw.

If you need 5.1/7.1 then the optical out should be fine, it comes close to bypassing the card entirely and uses the DAC on the amp.

the setup will be 2.0 for now, not sure if I will begetting subwoofer later on. I have been having the sound card for quite some time, before I just jump into spending any more for DAC or whatever is that one for... I already purchased and gave 150 for Amplifier, what DAC is suppose to do for me? I mean I used the sound card with the Logitech  2.1 and experienced no hums or whatever your speaking of...  Is the DAC for using headset and get better sound? I don't care about that, just care about the speakers.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Zaskar

Pretty much what using a digital out from your soundcard would do,  except it completely eliminates the need for built in sound, you could disable it in bios and remove the driver.

In either setup you would be using an external DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) instead of relying on the soundcard itself to do that, which is where it usually picks up interference from your other components.

Its possible it has all been bad luck though. Its easy enough to test, run a graphic intensive test/game with its sound off and listen close to the speakers/headphones with it cranked up, if you hear pure silence then your fine, if you hear background noise that rises and lowers with the graphical load then you probably want to use a external DAC.
I don't remember this happening for my old PCI cards, but I don't know if it was because something about that interface was better for soundcards, or if it was because it was the only thing using it, since Video was AGP.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:42:06 by Zaskar »

Offline bazemk1979

Pretty much what using a digital out from your soundcard would do,  except it completely eliminates the need for built in sound, you could disable it in bios and remove the driver.

In either setup you would be using an external DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) instead of relying on the soundcard itself to do that, which is where it usually picks up interference from your other components.

Its possible it has all been bad luck though. Its easy enough to test, run a graphic intensive test/game with its sound off and listen close to the speakers/headphones with it cranked up, if you hear pure silence then your fine, if you hear background noise that rises and lowers with the graphical load then you probably want to use a external DAC.
I don't remember this happening for my old PCI cards, but I don't know if it was because something about that interface was better for soundcards, or if it was because it was the only thing using it, since Video was AGP.

seems that you have better knowledge than I do when it comes to sound peripherals, Before I build my first PC I had bought a PC from a website where they put them together for you and I noticed that specially in game the onboard sound sometimes tend to be glitch and sort of mess up with the game experience. So after I sold that PC and I ended up building my own I decided to go with whatever SC has best reviews and recommendations.

Turned out that the HT|Omega Claro + had the most and the best reviews from all brands out there, yes even put ASUS high end cards to shame, on top of it for my luck it was on sale while I was researching so it went from 200 to 100 for period of time for 24 hrs, so I bought it. I have never experienced any problems with it, here is the link of the SC http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html, read up the specs and tell me what you think in genereal about it, another sale for me on that card that it used only Japanese capacitors.

I will do the test that you said, but problem is it turned out that the Yamaha amplifier is on its way and the speakers are on back order... bummer... I will give them a week and see if they can get them in stock, if not ill cancel the order, get them from else where and then I can do the testing. Shame I already received the spool wire, the RCA to 3.5mm Y cable, Yami is on its way but speakers are on back order.... and their site said they had more then 10 in stock...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

seems that you have better knowledge than I do when it comes to sound peripherals, Before I build my first PC I had bought a PC from a website where they put them together for you and I noticed that specially in game the onboard sound sometimes tend to be glitch and sort of mess up with the game experience. So after I sold that PC and I ended up building my own I decided to go with whatever SC has best reviews and recommendations.

Turned out that the HT|Omega Claro + had the most and the best reviews from all brands out there, yes even put ASUS high end cards to shame, on top of it for my luck it was on sale while I was researching so it went from 200 to 100 for period of time for 24 hrs, so I bought it. I have never experienced any problems with it, here is the link of the SC http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html, read up the specs and tell me what you think in genereal about it, another sale for me on that card that it used only Japanese capacitors.

I will do the test that you said, but problem is it turned out that the Yamaha amplifier is on its way and the speakers are on back order... bummer... I will give them a week and see if they can get them in stock, if not ill cancel the order, get them from else where and then I can do the testing. Shame I already received the spool wire, the RCA to 3.5mm Y cable, Yami is on its way but speakers are on back order.... and their site said they had more then 10 in stock...

Hang in there!  You'll be just fine as long as you stick with your plan.

Offline bazemk1979

Hang in there!  You'll be just fine as long as you stick with your plan.

Thanks bro, its what I intend to do :)

Offline bazemk1979

Ok so I received everything and everything is set up, love the way it sounds, way wayyyyy better than the Logitech Z2300 I had before. It will take a while till I break in the speakers cause I don't have much time to use them but considering how they sound from the get go, I'm impressed. I actually got a chance the weekend to play them back to back at best buy pinning them against $500 PSB,Klipsch and NHT bookshelf speakers and they were on par, I noticed no difference in sound quality. The only difference is that the BIC is $300 cheaper and offers 3-4 years longer warranty vs the Klipsch, PSB and NHT....

Here is a picture where one is with the cover and the other one is without, as far as size goes use your imagination, PS the monitor in between the speakers is 27" lol

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Ok so I received everything and everything is set up, love the way it sounds, way wayyyyy better than the Logitech Z2300 I had before. It will take a while till I break in the speakers cause I don't have much time to use them but considering how they sound from the get go, I'm impressed. I actually got a chance the weekend to play them back to back at best buy pinning them against $500 PSB,Klipsch and NHT bookshelf speakers and they were on par, I noticed no difference in sound quality. The only difference is that the BIC is $300 cheaper and offers 3-4 years longer warranty vs the Klipsch, PSB and NHT....

Here is a picture where one is with the cover and the other one is without, as far as size goes use your imagination, PS the monitor in between the speakers is 27" lol

I can actually feel sorry for those boys at Best Buy.  They probably wanted them too!

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
I paid good bucks for that sound card so I don't have to use the mobo sound card. So far this is what looks to be on my list and if I'm missing anything that I need to include on the order please let me know, would hate to have to run to Best Buy as last minute notice....

Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES20-Books...2%3A2661618011

Subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES150PBK-3...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Amplifier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0H88SY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

RCA to 3.5mm split cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067RBT?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As far as the speaker sound quality goes, I saw a video of the MAudio compared to the JBL, and while the MAudio being triple the price more than the JBL the difference was minimal in quality, but I think big role for me plays the overall look of the JBL components.

Your speaker links don't work.  I am supposing you are saying the JBL ES-20 bookshelf speakers with the JBL ES150PBK subwoofer.  And my suggestion was the BIC Venturi BICDV62SIB with the V1020 or V1220 subwoofer.

Let's see: JBL ES-20's are 104.95 for the pair
               BIC Venturi BICDV62SIB are 131.73 for the pair.
Subwoofer:  JBL ES150PBK subwoofer is 139.95 with a 10" woofer
                  BIC V1020 is 163.09 with a 10" woofer.
So the price difference is $244.90 for the JBL speaker system and $294.82 for the Venturi system.

Difference: $49.92

Almost $50 price difference.  The Venturi system is about $50 more, but infinitely better sounding.

What's even nicer is the fact that you can get the bookshelf speakers standalone, and they sound astounding on their own.  The subwoofer can come later!  I am that serious!

Of course if aesthetics are what you decided on, you have already made your choice.

Edit: You might find a better deal if you look around.
       The Venturis outperform most speakers costing more than double the price.  But this is my opinion, and you can look at reviews and audiophile sites all over the internet, and decide for yourself.
If I didn't believe in the Venturi's I wouldn't recommend them!  Especially with a 7-year warranty!

forgive me.. I am a total noob at this. I bought the venturi speakers you recommended but now I don't know how I'm supposed to connect it to my computer. Do I need to buy an amplifier just to be able to use them? What cables do I need to get started?
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
I paid good bucks for that sound card so I don't have to use the mobo sound card. So far this is what looks to be on my list and if I'm missing anything that I need to include on the order please let me know, would hate to have to run to Best Buy as last minute notice....

Amplifier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0H88SY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

RCA to 3.5mm split cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067RBT?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As far as the speaker sound quality goes, I saw a video of the MAudio compared to the JBL, and while the MAudio being triple the price more than the JBL the difference was minimal in quality, but I think big role for me plays the overall look of the JBL components.

Your speaker links don't work.  I am supposing you are saying the JBL ES-20 bookshelf speakers with the JBL ES150PBK subwoofer.  And my suggestion was the BIC Venturi BICDV62SIB with the V1020 or V1220 subwoofer.

So the price difference is $244.90 for the JBL speaker system and $294.82 for the Venturi system.

Almost $50 price difference.  The Venturi system is about $50 more, but infinitely better sounding.

What's even nicer is the fact that you can get the bookshelf speakers standalone, and they sound astounding on their own.  The subwoofer can come later!  I am that serious!

Of course if aesthetics are what you decided on, you have already made your choice.

The Venturis outperform most speakers costing more than double the price.  But this is my opinion, and you can look at reviews and audiophile sites all over the internet, and decide for yourself.
If I didn't believe in the Venturi's I wouldn't recommend them!  Especially with a 7-year warranty!

forgive me.. I am a total noob at this. I bought the venturi speakers you recommended but now I don't know how I'm supposed to connect it to my computer. Do I need to buy an amplifier just to be able to use them? What cables do I need to get started?

Yeah, you will need an amplifier to run them.  You could go cheap with a Lepai 2020A+, or for a full home audio receiver/amp.  Check CL for receivers.  There are ton of people letting go of their non-HDMI units for cheap.  Note that the Lepai will not allow you to add a sub in the future as it is only 2 channel. 

Quick scan of your area:
$20 Pioneer VSX511 - actually a very good receiver and a smoking deal @ $20. 
$50 Yamaha HTR-5100 - older unit, but still very solid.
$40 Sony STR-DE345 - also older, but very good for a basic 2.1 system with plenty of power. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

Yes you will need a separate amplifier for the speakers.  You could find a nice amplifier used as Badwrench suggested, or get a new amplifier.  I'd still recommend a Yamaha, but there are a wide variety of used amplifiers that will do the job nicely.  (Like the Pioneer in the list...)
Heck, you can even go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army (or any thrift store), and find a good deal on an amplifier.  If you do this, ask about their return policy.  Most thrift shops give you a 7 day exchange.
You will also need a 3.5 mm stereo jack to RCA adapter.  That will go from your computer to your amplifier.
That's about it.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter

Yes you will need a separate amplifier for the speakers.  You could find a nice amplifier used as Badwrench suggested, or get a new amplifier.  I'd still recommend a Yamaha, but there are a wide variety of used amplifiers that will do the job nicely.  (Like the Pioneer in the list...)
Heck, you can even go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army (or any thrift store), and find a good deal on an amplifier.  If you do this, ask about their return policy.  Most thrift shops give you a 7 day exchange.
You will also need a 3.5 mm stereo jack to RCA adapter.  That will go from your computer to your amplifier.
That's about it.

Yeah, you will need an amplifier to run them.  You could go cheap with a Lepai 2020A+, or for a full home audio receiver/amp.  Check CL for receivers.  There are ton of people letting go of their non-HDMI units for cheap.  Note that the Lepai will not allow you to add a sub in the future as it is only 2 channel. 

Quick scan of your area:
$20 Pioneer VSX511 - actually a very good receiver and a smoking deal @ $20. 
$50 Yamaha HTR-5100 - older unit, but still very solid.
$40 Sony STR-DE345 - also older, but very good for a basic 2.1 system with plenty of power. 

Thanks for your recommendations! In my panic to get everything running, I bought the lepai 2020a+ but I may try and upgrade it in the future. I thought it couldn't hurt to try out  for 27 bucks. I'm only trying to fill my 132? sq ft room with some sound so hopefully its okay for now. I'm actually down in Carlsbad now, but I will look on craigslist in the sd area to see if there are any options!

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter

That's about it.

I'm just getting into speakers in general, I have a pair of HD598s that I usually use for music :) How much would you suggest me saving up before looking into buying a new amplifier? Are there general brands that I could look for in thrift shops (Pioneer or otherwise)?

I got the 3.5 mm to RCA and some speaker wire so I think I'm set for now! Just have to see about upgrading the amp when I try out the lepai 2020a+

Offline bazemk1979

Just take Snowdog993 advices, he knows his stuff.  Im already thinking of going BIC RTR style for home theater set up.... Something tells me that pairing the EV15 speakers with EV1200 subwoofer will be a good match and will give me the 90's feeling + a 5.1 channel receiver so I can use 4 channels to feed both speakers since the are power hungry and are beampable, now I rather get 5.1 receiver and use 2 channels per each speaker to get the best sound out of them. But that would be in a not so distant future, and going with the RTR set up will leave me some spare moneys to add the F12 subwoofer to the PC set, not needed! but just for ****s and giggles LOL

Here are pics what I would choose for the RTR setup

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
I'm just getting into speakers in general, I have a pair of HD598s that I usually use for music :) How much would you suggest me saving up before looking into buying a new amplifier? Are there general brands that I could look for in thrift shops (Pioneer or otherwise)?

I got the 3.5 mm to RCA and some speaker wire so I think I'm set for now! Just have to see about upgrading the amp when I try out the lepai 2020a+

Well, if you are going new, you can figure to spend from around $100+ on up!  It really depends on what you're getting.

However, if you do find one second-hand, you could probably find something from around $20 to $60 or so.  If you stick with a good name-brand amplifier, you should be just fine.
Yamaha, Sony, JVC, Technics, Denon, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, MCS Series, etc etc....  There are quite a few and the main thing you want to be sure of is that it works!
There are quite a few "outdated" amplifiers that actually outperform a lot of new amplifiers.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter

Well, if you are going new, you can figure to spend from around $100+ on up!  It really depends on what you're getting.

However, if you do find one second-hand, you could probably find something from around $20 to $60 or so.  If you stick with a good name-brand amplifier, you should be just fine.
Yamaha, Sony, JVC, Technics, Denon, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, MCS Series, etc etc....  There are quite a few and the main thing you want to be sure of is that it works!
There are quite a few "outdated" amplifiers that actually outperform a lot of new amplifiers.

sorry to be derailing the thread to ask my own questions.. If this is not okay, let me know and I can take it to PMs.

I found these on craigslist. Would they be good options?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5304664450.html
Technics SA-EX140

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5301402477.html
Denon AVR810

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot

sorry to be derailing the thread to ask my own questions.. If this is not okay, let me know and I can take it to PMs.

Technics SA-EX140

Denon AVR810

Both of those are a bit on the old side.  I would try to find something with optical in so that you can run a single optical cable and get true separation. 
This is a killer receiver - it can even do a second zone.  Denon AVR-2805 for $50
This is also a great one:  Yamaha Rx-V657 for $45

I am in Vista if you want to hear the difference between the 2 setups (I have the lepai in the garage with some 5" bookshelf speakers and a sony receiver with digital in to some 5.5" bookshelf speakers and an 8" energy sub). 

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Both of those are a bit on the old side.  I would try to find something with optical in so that you can run a single optical cable and get true separation. 
This is a killer receiver - it can even do a second zone.  Denon AVR-2805 for $50

I am in Vista if you want to hear the difference between the 2 setups (I have the lepai in the garage with some 5" bookshelf speakers and a sony receiver with digital in to some 5.5" bookshelf speakers and an 8" energy sub).

The Denon AVR listing might say $50 but the seller is actually asking $125 for it.
The Yamaha says they cannot test?  What?  Maybe there is something broken on that one.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot

The Denon AVR listing might say $50 but the seller is actually asking $125 for it.
The Yamaha says they cannot test?  What?  Maybe there is something broken on that one.
Oh, missed that on the denon, was a quickie search.  On the Sony, he said to bring a converter as he cant t plug it in at home.  Not sure why, but still pretty easy to test if you meet at starbucks or some place similar.  I was just doing a search for a max of $50 and looking for the units that support optical input.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter

Technics SA-EX140

Denon AVR810

oh whatt

I didn't know there were mech users so close to where I live. It seems like they are usually closer to the LA area. I got the lepai coming in on thursday so I can test it out but yeah I'd be down to see what your set up is. How much did your sony receiver set up cost including the speakers and sub?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot

Technics SA-EX140

Denon AVR810

oh whatt

I didn't know there were mech users so close to where I live. It seems like they are usually closer to the LA area. I got the lepai coming in on thursday so I can test it out but yeah I'd be down to see what your set up is. How much did your sony receiver set up cost including the speakers and sub?

I picked up the receiver on CL from a guy in LaCosta for $25 (older Sony DA30ES), Some Sony SS1000 bookshelf speakers from Amazon for $40, and the Energy 8" sub from CL for $25.  Total spent was $90.  Sounds pretty solid.  I also have some Dayton B652 speakers that have a little more base, but are a larger footprint on my desk so I stick with the Sony setup.  My garage setup is also a set of SS1000 that i picked up from CL for $10 hooked up to the Lepai. 

PM me any time to come on over.  I am home in the mornings and work in the evening.  Mondays and Tuesdays are best for me.