Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 86672 times)

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 13:25:48 »
I played a few hours yesterday.  The highlight was accidentally killing a legendary radroach with fire and taking its loot: a bolt action **** pistol with the "assassin" modifier that has been able to 1-hit humans.  Good times.

But most of the time was spent building a house.  Damn walls just don't behave.

And now I know it is finally time to upgrade my 5 year old GPU.  God particles are wrecking my fps.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:31:36 »
I am going to wait to purchase this for a couple reasons:

1.  **** nVidia, my 290X would probably fair as well as a 960 will due to the tessellation so I'm waiting on a proper AMD driver that hopefully will fix it
2.  I have too many other games to play!  I have maybe 20-25 games installed through Steam out of a total of 150+ and I have been meaning to catch up
3.  My keyboard and keyboard paraphernalia budget has started to cut into my gaming budget
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:43:01 »
So I'm thinking of building my settlement vertically for defensive reasons. One stair case with a bunch of turrets at the bottom :))

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:54:51 »
I think I might wait til this is on sale, or at least til modders fix a decent amount of these bugs (cause lord knows Bethesda takes their sweet time)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:57:14 »
I think I might wait til this is on sale, or at least til modders fix a decent amount of these bugs (cause lord knows Bethesda takes their sweet time)
greenmangaming has it for 48 without tax.  you need a code though, you can find it online
Hi :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:39:24 »
greenmangaming has it for 48 without tax.  you need a code though, you can find it online

http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=nogewixi
FALLOU-T20PER-CNTOFF      or      SAVE20-NOVEMB-GAMING

:)) CNTOFF

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:52:17 »
I'm kind of new to Fallout - what's the deal with power armor? Do most people wear it all the time or smth?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:56:50 »
I'm kind of new to Fallout - what's the deal with power armor? Do most people wear it all the time or smth?

I only use my power armor when I'm having difficult beating somebody or some boss, I don't like how in this Fallout it requires a power source but it does make sense. I've been using the resources to expand my settlement and weapons for the most part.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:59:57 »

I only use my power armor when I'm having difficult beating somebody or some boss, I don't like how in this Fallout it requires a power source but it does make sense. I've been using the resources to expand my settlement and weapons for the most part.

Yah I just thought that fusion cores seem pretty far and few between

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 18:01:56 »

Yah I just thought that fusion cores seem pretty far and few between

I've only ever found one fusion core but then again I haven't really been trying. I did find it at the drive-in theater behind the big screen, it has me thinking if all hospitable places that have a workbench and such have a fusion core laying around somewhere.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 20:58:19 »

I've seen a lot of people saying that power armor actually "feels" like power armor in this game.  The power source needed for it, how the damage is taken and repaired, not having to equip it in place of other gear, and the whole modding aspect all seems like they did a good job with it.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:24:19 »

I've seen a lot of people saying that power armor actually "feels" like power armor in this game.  The power source needed for it, how the damage is taken and repaired, not having to equip it in place of other gear, and the whole modding aspect all seems like they did a good job with it.

It's a really fun game, I thoroughly enjoy it. The power armor does give a more power "suit" feel to it, the only thing I wish is that they had a better engine for the game. It's seems like they copy pasted a few things from Skyrim.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 05:01:31 »
Yeahhh, I'm going to have to wait until I get a new GPU before playing this, especially if Shadow of Mordor crashes my AMD drivers.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 05:41:45 »
Finally had time to sit down and play for a few hours last night, just starting the first settlement. Game's really fun so far, but the base building stuff takes way too long because of some frustrating snapping features to put pieces together. Going to wait until later to make a solid base I think.

Combat has been fun, and I can't stop modding my guns. Not a fan of power armor though, going to try to avoid using it as much as possible.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 06:11:24 »
I've found three power armor, just leave them in Sanctuary. I like to play without it. Favorite perk so far, idiot savant, yeeee.

Offline Poostar

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 09:22:58 »
Joining this thread a little late. 8 hours in and i think its awesome. The games does run bad when on ultra even on a beast of a pc. (16gb ram, I7 4790k, GTX 980 superclocked) When i turn it down to high settings though its smooth like butter.

Side note about the VPN. You can connect to AUS server and get the game 11 hours early depending on where you live. It does break the Terms of service on steam but from my understanding they more care about people using vpns to buy games in other currencies because it might be cheaper, although i am sure its frowned upon.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 09:34:42 »
I only have a Calc exam today, after that I feel a nice Fallout binge. :D

I've played about 11 hours now, game is really fun but I only have the first power armor, my sent me a picture with him already having 4 sets of power armor. I think the overall idea for power armor in this game is to have a set at each of your "bases" not really meant for much travel.

Offline Poostar

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 09:52:03 »
You can look up the locations of the armor. I believe many of them are just sitting around and don't require quests to obtain them. ( could be wrong on that)

I know wiki has a page with fusion core locations already

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 09:59:46 »
You can look up the locations of the armor. I believe many of them are just sitting around and don't require quests to obtain them. ( could be wrong on that)

I like to first play the game before looking anything up, kind of feels like cheating a little bit. It's makes the game a lot more fun when you randomly come across something cool, once I beat all the quests then I'll go on collecting mode.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 10:01:37 »
Spent about an hour swimming around....for nothing. Just a big empty ocean of boring stuff.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:36:54 »

1.  **** nVidia, my 290X would probably fair as well as a 960 will due to the tessellation so I'm waiting on a proper AMD driver that hopefully will fix it
2.  I have too many other games to play!  I have maybe 20-25 games installed through Steam out of a total of 150+ and I have been meaning to catch up
3.  My keyboard and keyboard paraphernalia budget has started to cut into my gaming budget

I can give you a few more if you like:
1. 80 degree FOV
2. mouse acceleration
3. mouse smoothing
4. 30fps framerate cap on certain cards

I hate when companies "consolify" their PC versions.. Fortunately there are others who feel the same and have some tweaking skills:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/10/fallout-4-fixes/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501&tscn=1447077828
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:58:25 »
wow hearing about all the graphic cards issues is upsetting. Im currently running it on high settings on a 680m mobile card and hitting 50-60fps. i was actually surprised at how well an older laptop card was handling the game. i would think any of the desktop cards released in the last 2 years would be able to run it easily.

Spent about an hour swimming around....for nothing. Just a big empty ocean of boring stuff.

RadX hoarder humble brag
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:09:24 »
There will be a lot of patches and driver updates to come, give it a little time and it will get better. It makes it harder to find all the bugs when you can't put a beta out for the public to test.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:21:14 »

I can give you a few more if you like:
1. 80 degree FOV
2. mouse acceleration
3. mouse smoothing
4. 30fps framerate cap on certain cards

I hate when companies "consolify" their PC versions.. Fortunately there are others who feel the same and have some tweaking skills:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/10/fallout-4-fixes/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501&tscn=1447077828

Yeah, it looks like there are plenty of other things going on with it too.  Ironically, I saw a gaming review site gave the console versions 3/5 while the PC got 4/5, due to serious framerate issues on consoles which sometimes brought the FPS down to single digits or it just freezing randomly.  I also dislike this trend of consolifying (which is quite a fun word!) games that should be much better but are being brought down to the lowest common denominator, but as long as people keep pre-ordering and/or buying these games in their poor states, I don't see any changes happening, especially with Bethesda since their games at launch are always buggy as all ****

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:22:49 »
I think I may finally have some time tonight, to start playing.  Can't wait.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:10:59 »
Player permanently stuck in an object? Have you lost Dogmeat? This console command has been my go-to solution for these two reoccurring issues.
Just enter "player.moveto 1D162" into the console command and it will teleport you next to Dogmeat, which I have used numerous occasions when I have gotten stuck on a wall/object or Dogmeat flat out disappears on me.
It's been a life saver (or save saver I should say.)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:11:42 »

Aannnnnnnd it's 5:30am  :))

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 22:01:45 »
Has anybody tried changing the color of The Green Monster in Diamond City? I have green, but also blue and yellow. Anyone give the guy the wrong color and came back to a blue wall?

Offline Psykick

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 22:49:56 »
I am playing this game entirely too much. I should probably get back to studying...

And addressing the supposed driver/graphics issues, I don't seem to have a problem at all. Running it on my gtx 970 at 1440p maxed out at ultra except AA turned down to FSAA and getting around 55-65fps with the occasional drop to 45fps. It's definitely exceeded my expectation as far as optimization goes.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2015, 22:54:51 by Psykick »

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 08:36:04 »
Finally Friday!! Time to play all weekend :thumb:

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 08:38:11 »

... Yeah I went to bed after class last night. Maybe I'll get some time to play today.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 08:43:07 »

... Yeah I went to bed after class last night. Maybe I'll get some time to play today.

I binged played yesterday to relax after my two exams, ended up forgetting to do my chem homework and study, oops.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 09:13:56 »
I am playing this game entirely too much. I should probably get back to studying...

And addressing the supposed driver/graphics issues, I don't seem to have a problem at all. Running it on my gtx 970 at 1440p maxed out at ultra except AA turned down to FSAA and getting around 55-65fps with the occasional drop to 45fps. It's definitely exceeded my expectation as far as optimization goes.

It's "optimized" for running on Nvidia because of heavy tessellation, so a 970 shouldn't have issues.  Also, Nvidia is much faster at releasing patches for specific games than AMD is, so it seems that most of the issues are with AMD GPUs currently.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 09:47:40 »
wow hearing about all the graphic cards issues is upsetting. Im currently running it on high settings on a 680m mobile card and hitting 50-60fps. i was actually surprised at how well an older laptop card was handling the game. i would think any of the desktop cards released in the last 2 years would be able to run it easily.

RadX hoarder humble brag

hahaaha nah, just happened to choose underwater breathing/no rads from water as my first perk.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 09:55:52 »
I've found three power armor, just leave them in Sanctuary. I like to play without it. Favorite perk so far, idiot savant, yeeee.
yeah the hell with power armor... I have found like 7 or 8 power cores though... Pretty much every raider base has one!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 19:22:07 »
Not true, there are a few sunken wrecks, floating islands, and something else really cool in the ocean that I won't spoil because I think it spawns randomly.
But your time is better spent wandering around with RadX in the south west corner of the map (where the bomb fell.) In a span of less than 10 minutes I picked up 3 unique items @ 7 Luck and gained 2 levels. Go there early because at higher levels the enemies will be a lot tougher, and it's probably the most difficult area (that I know of so far)

Offline Asininity

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 11:27:02 »
Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying my wasteland experience. There's of course plenty to grumble about (not only bugs, weird performance issues, but mechanics) but the scales shift far more in favor of good, than bad.

Most of my quibbles are based on a personal bias. For example, I'm not completely on board with combat becoming more fast paced and FPS-esque. I'm used to spending almost as much time on my Pip Boy as I am actually laying waste to my enemies. Not anymore. The new system, with hordes of assaulting enemies, VATS not completely stalling time, and actual functioning non-assisted shooting is just a new direction. A lot changed from Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 so I understand, stuff changes. I think my biggest gripe in this area is the loss of VATS. VATS just doesn't play as big of a role, and with time not stopping and only slowing I've found VATS to be a little buggy and difficult to ease efficiently. Sometimes I just opt to aim down the sights and unload, and that's a shame.

Perhaps my biggest gripe is the overhaul of how you communicate with others. I am a fan of a the Mass Effect series but I don't like its four speech options and your character actually talking being in the Fallout universe. I feel like I have both less conversational options and less of a role-playing experience when your character actually talks. I guess I can't be Bostonian with a Irish accent and a drinking problem can I ma? I'm sure there will be a mod to rectify this (and probably VATS too) so that's good.

Now, one of the greatest part of the game is how good the mods are going to be. It's a game that has so much potential for brilliant and absolutely amazing mods. It's everywhere you look.

I really love the big cities, the voice-acting, the characters, the building your own places, the in-depth gun modification, and all of that. I've always been a hoarder in games and the fact that everything is useful now I can feel like my hoarding mentality is finally worth a damn. I'm about eight hours in and I think I've finished maybe... seven or eight quests? I've mostly just been looting, hoarding, and building. I like what's going on, I like the story, and overall I like the mechanics.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 11:48:35 »
I'm waiting a year til it is like $9.99. For now I will live vicariously through all of you. I don't mind spoilers, so keep the thread goin'.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:34:23 »
It will be years until Fallout 4 is $10.

Better get in now. It's worth it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 16:32:47 »
It will be years until Fallout 4 is $10.

Better get in now. It's worth it.

Yeah, it doesn't really get that low usually until all the expansion packs have been released as well.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:20:29 »
Even Skyrim is still $20, so you might be waiting until literal bombs drop for the price to go down :))

On another note, discovered so many cool things. One of which is you CAN paint that wall in Diamond City with a bucket of blood!

Also killed a spooky alien in a cave, but regret not being high enough level to try and pacify or intimidate him instead. I have a feeling he's the only one in the game. His gun's OK, although I think I like the Gamma Gun a little better because of it's huge 'bullets'

edit from Reddit: "Just gotta deactivate these traps..."
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:42:37 by noisyturtle »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:41:45 »

Good to know.  I've just been using mine around the settlement for moving big objects.  Just got it Saturday night, played probably 8 hours over the weekend.  So great.  Gotta say, it's come a long way since Fallout v1!

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 11:27:24 »
Got to the Forged leader but was out of healing to even stand a chance. Kept hitting the arrows during the dialog and that let me leave the area so now I'm going to go pick-up some power armor and stimpaks.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 11:53:35 »
I've only had about three days in total to play the game but I did kind of cut to the chase and beat the main quest line. I ended up not doing a single quest for the BoS and ended up destroying them. I'm hoping to come back to the game after I finish this character a year or two down the road and be able to start fresh again. I am already at level 32 and have a bunch of really nice upgrades on my weapons, I was complaining before how I couldn't find anymore power armor and then I came across four sets in one day without even looking them up.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:04:27 »
Well I validated the game cache and it said that it was already 100%. I then tried to  start up the game and it worked lol.

Edit: oops double post :confused:
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:09:36 by Steezus »

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:09:22 »
i broke into the science center and the Dr. started shooting me with no health. Game decides to autosave... i have no restore points and 21 hours in... everytime i load i die instantly GG
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:15:29 »
Not true, there are a few sunken wrecks, floating islands, and something else really cool in the ocean that I won't spoil because I think it spawns randomly.
But your time is better spent wandering around with RadX in the south west corner of the map (where the bomb fell.) In a span of less than 10 minutes I picked up 3 unique items @ 7 Luck and gained 2 levels. Go there early because at higher levels the enemies will be a lot tougher, and it's probably the most difficult area (that I know of so far)

I've explored lots of wrecks and some things but the majority especially around the outskirts was barren. I won't ever go back into the ocean to check, wanna pm that really cool thing? I kinda got bored of the game, but I think I'll go exploring the radiated zone like you said, although last time I was there I had a fun time fighting a glowing deathclaw :(

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:43:25 »

I've explored lots of wrecks and some things but the majority especially around the outskirts was barren. I won't ever go back into the ocean to check, wanna pm that really cool thing? I kinda got bored of the game, but I think I'll go exploring the radiated zone like you said, although last time I was there I had a fun time fighting a glowing deathclaw :(

Well, are 2 sets of power armor - one in the big lake near Sanctuary along with a Mirelurk King. There is a secret hole that leads somewhere deep underground near Salem but I drowned before I could reach the end (probably need the perk.) And there was a ghost ship that appeared where everything inside was floating around and when the sun came up it vanished.

That's all I've found so far aside from a few containers with items at the bottom. There was a weapons small cashe with a Fat man somewhere too but I can't recall where I was on the map.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:45:09 by noisyturtle »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:45:24 »

Well, are 2 sets of power armor - one in the big lake near Sanctuary along with a Mirelurk King. There is a secret hole that leads somewhere deep underground near Salem but I drowned before I could reach the end (probably need the perk.) And there was a ghost ship that appeared where everything inside was floating around and when the sun came up it vanished.

That's all I've found so far aside from a few containers with items at the bottom.

Ahh I've found that first one, haven't come across that second. Will need one more in the perk I guess! And that last bit, oh my!

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 18:34:26 »
i broke into the science center and the Dr. started shooting me with no health. Game decides to autosave... i have no restore points and 21 hours in... everytime i load i die instantly GG

Playing on PC?  Can you use console commands to turn on god mode?