Author Topic: Home Network Thread  (Read 1113 times)

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
Home Network Thread
« on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 22:16:18 »
What kind of setup do you guys have as your home network?

I'd like to upgrade my Plex server to an i3 NUC, the C2Q box is bulky and slow. I might switch over to Debian stable, but Ubuntu Server just werks

Thinking of getting a T420 to replace my Dell. Xubuntu is pretty comfy when it's riced

The TP-LINK works well, but I'd like something with a bit more storage, so I can install zsh, replace uhttpd with nginx, and do some other stuff with it.

I'd also like to get a Raspberry Pi with a camera, setting up OctoPrint has been a hassle on my box, I hear that OctoPi is much easier

KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
Re: Home Network Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:51:22 »
DISCLAIMER: I've long since given up custom router configurations at home because I do that at work all day everyday.  Actually, at home, I run all Macs, have an Airport Extreme and an AppleTV with all my media loaded into iTunes. Stupid easy, but configurable.  I know, despite knowing Linux for almost two decades and managing a national fleet of wireless routers, I still use Apple products at home.  Why?  They work, they're usually pretty secure, my two young daughters can hack away with out issue, and I never. have. to. touch. them.

MaNiFeX's Sketchy Home Internet

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Home Network Thread
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:03:44 »
Mine currently goes, COX -> Netgear All in one modem/dual band wifi/router -> WiFi = Printer/2 phones/Laptop; Router = PC/PS3/1tb NAS/SmartTV

I have plenty of upgrade plans for new modem, router, switch and WAP. Currently going to run with Ubiquiti. Plans also include climbing into the attic and upgrading to Cat6. I know it's not necessary, but since I have all the stuff gathered from job leftovers, why not? I need to get a much larger NAS because I want it to host all forms of AV media. Also two HTPC, one for the front room and one for the bedroom. Right now my main desktop is also acting as a DLNA host. I need this network broken down a little further and spread out. This is my gaming rig, not a home network server.

My plans are not quite finalized. Need a lot more thought put into the whole thing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:05:36 by FreeCopy »
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g