Author Topic: Super ergonomic 3d printed mouse with electronics from Logitech G 300s  (Read 23853 times)

Offline iso

I made a thing - Got a bunch of other brands but the Logitech was cheap so I took it apart for the electronics and made my own "shell",  no sweat, switches easily replaceable, perfectly fits my hand in relaxed position

Scrollwheel relocated for thumb. Replaced the mechanical encoder with reed switches/round magnet.
Ditched the microswitches and im using the DigiKey  480-2349-ND
Mouse cost, $23 after black friday deal.
$3/ switch x 3 (You can buy those from ebay much cheaper but i didnt want to wait 3 weeks)
$2/Reed switch x 2 ^^
50 cent 3d printing filament
I had a round magnet and 2 micro bearing from an old HDD/Floppy drive

5 hours to complete without modelling and several failed attempts til I got it to fit my hand perfectly
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 21:09:23 by iso »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Super ergonomic 3d printed mouse with electronics from Logitech G 300s
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 04:18:10 »
did you grab a piece of clay, then scanned it ?

I thought about doing this alot.

But I came to the conclusion that ideally I'd want a handle mouse, because that is the easiest thing to lift and hold, while remaining almost completely vertical.

Right now, the ergopwn 9000 in my signature is as vertical as I can get  while fitting in a gaming mouse pcb.. .

the 3m vertical mouse feels better in the hand, but there's no way to get any logitech gaming pcbs in there.

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to make a stick type mouse similar to the zalman fps mouse..

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 06:32:10 »
Cool, is the structure skeletonised for some reason or was it easier to print that way?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 12:28:39 »
Cool, is the structure skeletonised for some reason or was it easier to print that way?

probably for weight.

The reason most mice is covered up is because of light pollution..

But, overall, if accuracy isn't a big issue, then weight is the next optimization..

Of course the TENTING/ Vertical-ness .. is Most Important

Offline iso

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 17:26:12 »
did you grab a piece of clay, then scanned it ?

I thought about doing this alot.

But I came to the conclusion that ideally I'd want a handle mouse, because that is the easiest thing to lift and hold, while remaining almost completely vertical.

Right now, the ergopwn 9000 in my signature is as vertical as I can get  while fitting in a gaming mouse pcb.. .

the 3m vertical mouse feels better in the hand, but there's no way to get any logitech gaming pcbs in there.

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to make a stick type mouse similar to the zalman fps mouse..

Its not clay, its the 3ds max modelling color 3d model shade, just happens to be clay color when I did the GIF.
No scanning, 100% modelling.
Lift and hold, thats why I have "the crest" between the index and middle finger, I dont have to "claw" it, I can lift it without accidentaly pressing any buttons.
The problem is fitting the electronics inside the shape you want/need. 3d priting allows ANY shape any size any configuration.
If you not afraid to desolder the laser/optical sensor and move in the proper position, you can have any shape.

Offline iso

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 17:41:13 »

probably for weight.

The reason most mice is covered up is because of light pollution..

But, overall, if accuracy isn't a big issue, then weight is the next optimization..

Of course the TENTING/ Vertical-ness .. is Most Important

Its structured that way because what I hated most on regular mice is sweat, with this one I never gets sweaty hand.
Weight is not an issue, this is so light its annoyng at times, the USB cable tension alone slowly moves the mouse from position.
Accuracy, I have the electronics from a razer Naga and after all the backtracking for the buttons and soldering  the mouse looks like an industrial robot. I gifted the thing to a coworker.
I did like 8 versions of this mouse, for where my elbow and wrist angle is, height of the desk and chair, this is the best shape for me.
Also, did lots other things, electronics from a trackpad, joystick, airmouse, trackball... all these, lots of fun. I have a keyboard in the works.
3d printers dont have problems printing plastic any shape unless it too thin (-10 micron)  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 18:07:23 »
i'm thinking about getting one of those ghetto scanners to scan clay.

I've tried to make ergonomic handles before, they never feel quite right through trial and error.. Can't quite cover the subtle nuances through imagination..

Offline iso

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 00:35:09 »
Before you blow +$50 on a ****ty scanner that you only gonna use 2 times because is very frustrating, consider buying polymorph plastic - search ebay polymorph plastic
You put in boiling water and becomes like clay, you squeze it in whatever shape you want and while holding the plastic, submerge your hand in cold water for 3 min.
Plastic is reusable, you can repeat this process over and over again forever til you get what you expect and consider to be the best for you. Then you can even sculpt this plastic and fit the buttons you need or get modelling and recreate it for the printer.
Its very satisfying seeing that after +8hr of use your wrist doesnt hurt. Right after, touch a "normal mouse", you`ll be like "oh god no." Good luck  :thumb:

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 07:16:30 »
Lift and hold, thats why I have "the crest" between the index and middle finger, I dont have to "claw" it, I can lift it without accidentaly pressing any buttons.

That is pretty smart.

Its structured that way because what I hated most on regular mice is sweat, with this one I never gets sweaty hand.

That makes sense, but think it would feel strange with it being so hollow. No?

Offline iso

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 13:05:58 »
Hollow feel is... relative, regular mice need something to grip on because the way is sahaped, "one shape to fit all hands". Regular mice are small, medium and large.
But if everything is placed just right, the scroll, buttons, bottom hand support, distance between fingers, that feeling doesnt exist
Think of a surgical glove, does it feel hollow ? No because fits your hand perfecly
I rest my hand on my mice, I barelly put any effort to hold it while moving it. Gets lilttle tigher/intense when I play fast paced shooting games but no.
The "ribs" are there to kind of remind me there is no need to squeeze it.
On my first prototypes when I got the size wrong, palm width being most important, i`d had buttons under the first knuckle and the wrist touching the mouse pad.
I once designed a ballhead linking the bottom, where the electronics are and the top, where the hand is and I could adjust wrist position on the fly and lock the top part in position. After one week of use and fine adjustments I noticed I dont make any changes anymore to the position and there is no need for the ballhead, so I superglued in position and remodeled/printed this final piece for maximum stiffness, I never felt that I have to readjust anything after that.

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 02:52:44 »
This looks absolutely awesome.

Could you post more pics/vid showing hand/wrists position during use?

Also, how did you come up with the general shape and dimensions for it? I mean, what did your prototyping process look like? 3d print trial and error?

i'm thinking about getting one of those ghetto scanners to scan clay.

If you mean the like of the small 3D Sense handheld - don't, I've worked with one, they're utter crap for this purpose. You can get better results with careful photogrammetry. Structured light like David scanner is OK too.

consider buying polymorph plastic

a.k.a. polycaprolactone.
I have mixed experiences with it. It's awful to machine, it smears immediately if you use powertools, and trying to cut it/sand it by hand is a PITA. Takes a lot of time both to heat up and to set back. Hard to get good quality plastic without contaminants from the manufacturing process. Sticks to everything when molten. Best hotglue ever.
It has AWESOME durability, though. I don't know of any other materials that you can process at home that would even approach it in durability (without resorting to metal welding). Its stronger than fiber reinforced composites in a lot of applications. It doesn't crack. Reheat to cure mechanical damage.

I think thermoset clays and two-part epoxies are actually better for prototyping. They are softer, more predictable, give you more time to work with, can be machined quickly and easily.

Offline iso

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:06:08 »
Thank you.

Im working now on using a teensy with dedicated laser module. So I can have the mouse and any key/additional macro/button on the mouse, as many as I want in whatever configuraration I need. Google ADNS-9800 Laser Motion Sensor.

Also, im gonna get rid of scroll wheel, I have a working teensy prototype that scrolls using capacitative touch, I have it configured with 3 speed per direction, a total of 6 touch areas. - inspired by frankstripod on hackaday
With a teensy/arduino and dedicated laser module there is no limit on what can be done
The moment I have the laser sensor and im done modelling the new shell I will post a video.

Took me about 3 days to rough model/3d print few shells til I got it right. No scanning, no photogrammetry. I understand not everyone can doit so Im gonna help you guys, im gonna post my model. Most people that need custom hardware, have issues using a regular mice, usually a medical issue so I will try my best to help.

Unless your right hand is exactly same size as mine you will need to resize the model to match. If your middle finger is between 6cm and 8cm long, this model is for you, all you need now is, buy the parts, dissasemble a cheap mouse and hot glue/fit the electronics, reroute switches.
The hard part for people that will need to resize it, is to keep the switches and scroll/bearings "container" the same so its still assemblable

After I finished the model I 3dprinted a few for my buddies. All I need is a piece of paper, a4, with the outlines of the hand drawn on it so I can compare with the model and resize accordingly, longer fingers, wider hand palm, etc.

I dont machine parts at all, in my opinion,  polymorphic plastic is best/cheap/clean at learning organic modelling without looking at your hand every time you move a vertice, but im gonna share my model so 80% of the work is done.

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 08:17:00 »
Looks damn sweet, I'll try printing it when time allows.
Do you mind if I reupload a cut up version for printing with less support?

Is this the Frankstripod project you're referring to? XY smooth scroll is epic regardless of implementation, I use this on a trackpoint with mmb pressed. There was an old variant of an IBM mouse that did this, required drivers for it to perform well though. Essentially a trackpoint instead of the middle button.

also, 3 physical buttons, CAD friendly YESSS. No more pressing the scroll wheel in defaults.

Offline iso

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:44:33 »
Yes, that is the hackaday post. Also, there is some other arduino examples dealing with capacitative sensing.
Trimming a resistor high/low can change the sensitivity, you can actually "press a button" by holding your finger 1cm over the area or hard press it.
Feel free to modify the model as you please and post it, thanks for contributing.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 21:36:42 »
I made a thing - Got a bunch of other brands but the Logitech was cheap so I took it apart for the electronics and made my own "shell",  no sweat, switches easily replaceable, perfectly fits my hand in relaxed position

Scrollwheel relocated for thumb. Replaced the mechanical encoder with reed switches/round magnet.
Ditched the microswitches and im using the DigiKey  480-2349-ND
Mouse cost, $23 after black friday deal.
$3/ switch x 3 (You can buy those from ebay much cheaper but i didnt want to wait 3 weeks)
$2/Reed switch x 2 ^^
50 cent 3d printing filament
I had a round magnet and 2 micro bearing from an old HDD/Floppy drive

5 hours to complete without modelling and several failed attempts til I got it to fit my hand perfectly

Looks really cool, but just wondering how lasting it is. 3D printed and the plastic looks thin in many places. I can imagine you clenching your fist in anger when you lose your game, and you lose your mouse too.

Offline iso

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 22:19:57 »
Looks really cool, but just wondering how lasting it is. 3D printed and the plastic looks thin in many places. I can imagine you clenching your fist in anger when you lose your game, and you lose your mouse too.

Thank you.
Unless you`re Brock Lesnar you wont be able to crush the mouse. Give it a try, print it, download the model I posted and you`ll understand.
The shell is on average 3mm thick. You dont have to "claw" it like a regular mouse if fits your hand perfectly, you rest your hand on it.

Offline iso

I have the Teensy 2.0, the ProMicro and the sensor, I just dont have the time thinker with it, search for libraries, test.... make it work.
If any of you is willing to send me the working electronic assembly (at least the cursor moving smoothly on the screen), either Teensy 2.0 or ProMicro, I will modify the 3d model to fit the electronics inside and I will send it back to the person, a fully working mouse with same electronics.
I will use that to learn how to wire it myself/upload code, save me some time and post the model in here too so everyone can 3d print their own.

Offline iso

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:13:15 »
OK, hot off the printer.

I will throw in, for the person thats willing to send me the electronics for the mouse (see my previous post),  the 85 cherry size switches and 36 small round switches you see in the pictures. Shell is approx 6mm thick.

The switches are not included, just the semi-transparent white shell you see.  :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 13:43:21 »
Bookmarking for future updates. I like where this is heading.. :)

Offline iso

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 02:59:59 »
Few days ago I found someone to help with this, the moment I have everything soldered together and working I`ll modify the 3d model after which you all can get it and assemble your own.

Offline Chekonjak

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 21:38:52 »
I did an even more low-budget version of this with an otherwise unmodified Deathadder and Sugru finger-grips. :)

Offline iso

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 01:12:34 »
This is done for, a new verion of this mouse with better electronics and better ergonomics - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98360.0

Offline nevin

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 07:23:22 »
WOW! Fantastic! Excellent work!
i've been looking at ergo mice for a long time now. this is a giant leap in the right direction. kudos.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68