Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mondrian (GB is live!)  (Read 44184 times)

Offline Chiovatto

Re: [IC] GMK Mondrian ()
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 22:20:18 »
May I ask one thing?? Why didnt you used JTK instead of GMK?? I saw from a few comments that, the feeling from GMK and JTK was the same, just the legends were goddamn awful.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 16:55:02 »
Needs black keys, doesn't look right without it

Just get a black case and it will give you the same effect

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 03:57:10 »
^

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 23:00:30 »
May I ask one thing?? Why didnt you used JTK instead of GMK?? I saw from a few comments that, the feeling from GMK and JTK was the same, just the legends were goddamn awful.

This is actually a great idea. It only that I get fascinated by GMK keycaps feel and I never get to touch JTK, that's why it never cross my mind. But if the worst is to come with this GMK (price is too high), I'll try to do it with JTK. Thank you for the suggestion!

ALSO, big updates is on this weekend! Stay tune!

Offline Konjungamo

[IC] GMK Mondrian ()
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 23:01:54 »
Sweet, been following this for a while now and am glad new info is coming!

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 03:08:42 »
Awesome cant wait for the updates!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 04:09:45 »
Okay here comes the news:

1. I'm happy to announce that we got the partner to do the GB: Caps Unlocked! The GB and shipping will be done by Caps Unlocked > http://caps-unlocked.com/

2. As per vote several days ago, there won't be additional black keys to this set.

3. The kit is locked now and we got the official render from GMK (yay!)

172020-0

4. We are done with the pricing too, a kit will be priced at $79 on 150 MOQ.

5. If nothing goes wrong, the GB will start next weekend. The GB duration will be announced together with the GB launch.

Offline Giorgio

Re: [IC] GMK Mondrian (Update 01/07/17: Official render and price!)
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 04:17:03 »
Condolences to the homing bars.

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 05:37:30 »
This is great!

Offline Konjungamo

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:10:16 »
Condolences to the homing bars.

Nooo, first Nautilus now Mondrian, homing bars need more love :(

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:43:07 »
I choose scoop for the sake of overall cleanliness of the looks. I want to give both but we already have 5 homing keys here, providing both scoop and bar will make them 10 and most probably raise the price :confused: 

What do you guys think?

Offline Konjungamo

[IC] GMK Mondrian (Update 01/07/17: Official render and price!)
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:47:42 »
True, with the amount of homing keys in this set it makes sense to choose only one variant, if you chose bars over scoops that would probably make a different set of people unhappy.
I respect your choice and I'm sure the kit will be successful either way, I wouldn't risk increasing the price tbh.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:49:32 »
That's alright. I agree with the scoops. Whatever makes the set less expensive haha

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 08:39:14 »
Just two White homing bars could be enough

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 11:07:27 »
True, with the amount of homing keys in this set it makes sense to choose only one variant, if you chose bars over scoops that would probably make a different set of people unhappy.
I respect your choice and I'm sure the kit will be successful either way, I wouldn't risk increasing the price tbh.

Agreed.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline joelfong

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 16:44:04 »
It would have been nice if the yellow keys were in N6 rather than CV though. That way I could have mixed the yellow blanks with GMK Nautilus (since it has a pretty expensive ergodox/planck kit with not many planck keys for use). But I totally understand if you feel that CV fits in with the Mondrian theme better.

Either way, good luck with the GB!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 22:23:33 »
It would have been nice if the yellow keys were in N6 rather than CV though. That way I could have mixed the yellow blanks with GMK Nautilus (since it has a pretty expensive ergodox/planck kit with not many planck keys for use). But I totally understand if you feel that CV fits in with the Mondrian theme better.

Nautilus use N6 on its yellow? Weird, from the render I strongly feel it is leaning to CV as it is a very bright yellow. N6 have slight orange tint on it.

I'm debating the color choice myself, for months lol! Wether I should use the more dusty version of RBY or the bright RBY. After having conversation with some artists, curators, and graphic designers (bring them the color chips too) the RBY represetation of Mondrian is supposed to be the bright one. Because the painting we look now is already aged and the color distorting. When Piet Mondrian paint it he want to have a very 'basic' color on his painting so the more pure the color, the closest it is to the real vision of the painting. V4, CV, and RO2 isn't perfect, I know, but it is the closest ones from the stock in my observation. And having a custom made color is obviously increasing the price which I avoid.

Yep, thank you for your wish!

Offline joelfong

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 07:10:46 »

Nautilus use N6 on its yellow? Weird, from the render I strongly feel it is leaning to CV as it is a very bright yellow. N6 have slight orange tint on it.

I'm debating the color choice myself, for months lol! Wether I should use the more dusty version of RBY or the bright RBY. After having conversation with some artists, curators, and graphic designers (bring them the color chips too) the RBY represetation of Mondrian is supposed to be the bright one. Because the painting we look now is already aged and the color distorting. When Piet Mondrian paint it he want to have a very 'basic' color on his painting so the more pure the color, the closest it is to the real vision of the painting. V4, CV, and RO2 isn't perfect, I know, but it is the closest ones from the stock in my observation. And having a custom made color is obviously increasing the price which I avoid.

Yep, thank you for your wish!

Yeap N6 for Nautilus, it's stated on the IC Thread (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85336.0)

Alphas are Pantone 534 C
Alphas legends are TU2
Modifiers are Pantone 533 C
Modifiers legends are GMK N6
Alternate modifiers are GMK N6
Alternate modifiers legends are Pantone 533 C

Renders are never 100% accurate though Nautilus is pretty close IMO. Also GMK's renders are even worse and are quite often a fair bit off in terms of colour compared to the actual product. So always base your decisions off the colour chips, samples and more colour accurate renders.

It *might* be worth doing a more colour accurate keyboard render for the GB if you have the resources, or at least adding colour samples so people know what the actual GMK Mondrian colours would be like.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:00:33 »
I actually post the color candidate on the first post. The grouping end up differently but all the color is there  ;D

Offline braidn

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:16:49 »
Would be down for white bars. I can dig scoops though. Love that this can now work for alphas.

Also would be down to see what JTK came in price wise. I bet these would be 40ish from them
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:56:44 by braidn »

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 18:04:44 »
Hey,

The group buy for GMK Mondrian is now live!

You can join the group buy here: http://caps-unlocked.com/gmk-mondrian/

Thank you!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:32:36 »
Hey,

The group buy for GMK Mondrian is now live!

You can join the group buy here: http://caps-unlocked.com/gmk-mondrian/

Thank you!

Hyped!

Offline Dadrophenia

Re: [IC] GMK Mondrian (GB is live!)
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 22:08:35 »
Just joined, really hope it hits MOQ! Haven't been this excited about a set in a while...

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 10:21:12 »
Ah i would've loved to have helped proxy this! Well done with the IC and capsunlocked :)
Hope it reaches MOQ

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 04:46:00 »
Not my place, but PBT would be cheaper and probably better, the reason for GMK love is the awesome double shots
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 08:23:26 »
Not my place, but PBT would be cheaper and probably better, the reason for GMK love is the awesome double shots

Agreed. I don't understand the pricing too. GMK blanks should be 40% cheaper than doubleshot

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 10:27:32 »
Ah i would've loved to have helped proxy this! Well done with the IC and capsunlocked :)
Hope it reaches MOQ

Just joined, really hope it hits MOQ! Haven't been this excited about a set in a while...

Thank you for the wish!

As I previously said, I will do this in another configuration if this one failed. JTK, DSA and XDA are the strong candidate. Thank you for your suggestion :thumb:

Agreed. I don't understand the pricing too. GMK blanks should be 40% cheaper than doubleshot

"Should be" is the key here ;D I was thinking that way too until I receive the quotation then pondering what are another cost involved in a keyset. Believe it or not, we aren't flipped this on 100% margin, you can see my calculation some posts back for how I think a GB should be calculated. Remember, the price we have to pay isn't only for the keys itself, there's shipping, tax, logistics, risk-fee, and obviously profit.

If we can sell this for $20 without any loss for any party I will glady do it. But we all know we can't.

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 06:15:35 »
GB Thread has been approved:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90440.0

Please continue discussion there.

GLWGB! :thumb: :thumb: