Author Topic: [IC] Pallas - Corian topped stacked Alice-Style UPDATE  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
[IC] Pallas - Corian topped stacked Alice-Style UPDATE
« on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 12:40:48 »
Pallas
Corian Topped Stacked Acrylic Alice-Style

286495-0
286497-1
286503-2
286505-3

Corian, or solid surface countertop, is an engineered stone product made by Dupont. It's basically alumina powder, stone pebbles or gravel, suspended in acrylic. It is heavy and polishable like stone and comes in all sorts of colors, patterns, and combinations of materials. It lasers and polishes beautifully. Previously, we toyed with the idea to make a lube station from it, but it never really took off. However, we learned about how to work with it and how to laser it very accurately. This experience informed us about the material and led to the development of it's use in a stacked acrylic style case.

286499-4

Pallas is a large asteroid, actually planetoid, in the asteroid belt.

The Pallas keyboard uses the TGR Alice PCB. It features a copper plate and phosphor bronze screws. The Corian color is called Deep Anthracite, and is mostly black with flecks of gray granite, meant to conjure asteroids in the void of space. One benefit of Corian and copper is the increased weight despite being a somewhat low cost manufacturing method and material.

* eclipse_5.webp (19.05 kB - downloaded 47 times.)

We plan to manufacture the Pallas in our facility, and run the GB/Presale from our website.

Price point could be in the $200-$275 range. There are a lot of factors in this price, but we aim to keep it on the lower end of the spectrum to get a premium weight and feel case in your hands at a reasonable pice. MOQ could be as low as 100

The best way to connect with us about the Pallas is on our Discord. We are very available and communicative! Also be sure to fill out the IC form, which guides us on how to set the MOQ. Thank you all and look forward to talking to everyone about it.

UPDATE !
We have had a bit of feedback and some time to tinker around. Quite a few requests for the angled/pointy kind of front that is so iconic on Alice boards. We're doing some CAD magic to try and get that to work, but in the meantime enjoy some photos of our alpha-stage prototype. Weight is decent!

• This Corian is not really the final Corian, but its a sample piece we could get in the interim to dial in the laser a bit
  • The copper plate has not yet arrived, and neither have the bronze screws.
  • More adjustments need to be made for the USB port etc, and it shows a foot to give a 6.5ish degree typing angle

289012-7
289014-8
289016-9
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2022, 19:50:24 by Old_Gold_Hand »
Love yall

Offline rookb

Re: [IC] Pallas - Corian topped stacked TGR Alice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 13:09:14 »
Nice, I was waiting for a stacked acryilic TGR alice

Offline Pyroo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 13:34:59 »
Lovely tgr alice  ;D
Bunny enthusiast

Offline infinitum

• i buy expensive plastic
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 15:43:53 »
ah yes tgr alice

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 21:56:08 »
I might be OOTL or not up to speed. I always get confused about the semantics in this hobby. But is it really a TGR alice if TGR isn't part of the project and not just Alice layout?
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 07:34:02 »
I flip flopped a lot about including the TGR, but I wanted it to be clear that its from the yutski alice, not the arisu alice with the arrow keys. Do you think I should edit the post to say TGR-Style? Alice-style? I'm open to correction, I just want to get the point accross about the layout.
Love yall

Offline sillybrioche

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 08:19:44 »
Alice-style would probably be better

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 10:17:35 »
Thanks alot
Love yall

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
Re: [IC] Pallas - Corian topped stacked Alice-Style
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 13:46:02 »
Do you have a prototype made? I really like my Coriander 40% made of the same material but trash man had lots of issues machining that material; hopefully lazer'ing it works better for you. GLWIC.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
Re: [IC] Pallas - Corian topped stacked Alice-Style
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 15:46:42 »
Do you have a prototype made? I really like my Coriander 40% made of the same material but trash man had lots of issues machining that material; hopefully lazer'ing it works better for you. GLWIC.

We do not, though pcbs are ordered. We have, however, lazer'd corian a bunch before so we sort of have that figured out. I imagine machining it is horrible and it has alumina (an abrasive) and stone chips, which probably consume endmills pretty quickly. Even lasering it gets stone dust everywhere inside the laser, the z screws of the laser sound kinda crunchy now lol
Love yall

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
Re: [IC] Pallas - Corian topped stacked Alice-Style UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 July 2022, 07:59:10 »
Thread bump for update
Love yall