Author Topic: Ceraclack Service Complete, no more orders  (Read 39918 times)

Offline Tyson

Ceraclack Service Complete, no more orders
« on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:28:47 »

This is my Second time ever running a service I have learned a lot from when I first started doing this! Thank you everyone that has followed my journey of cerakote. I'm mixing it up with round 2 and running the service a bit differently, after talking with the shop and a few users I learned that more boards can be completed faster if they all get the same color, the shop doesn't have to constantly keep changing colors to work on all the boards. With that in mind I am going to run 1 colorway at a time, I have already selected the first color based on a poll I ran in the Ceraclack discord. Graphite Black will be the first color that we will run with. I will allow 50 boards for this color. Once all 50 are complete we will run the next color and so fourth. Kind of like artisan fulfillment colorways. Periodically I will allow a few commissions on the side to allow for people to go crazy on whatever colors they want, but it will definitely be far less than Round 1.

I will be posting pics of more boards that I get cerakoted in a album on imgur you can find that link right here: https://imgur.com/a/eIy8SsM

What is Cerakote?

Cerakote is a ceramic based finish that can be applied to most metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness. Cerakote will also remove most blemishes from whatever surface it is applied to.

The specific shop that I will be using uses all the cerakote colors. Here are all the base colors: https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/

The Shop is able to use any series colors along with guncandy colors: https://www.guncandy.com/collections/all-colors

The H Series (Oven Baked Series) is one of the toughest series and is very durable.
The C Series (Air Cured Series) is used for Plastics and will be used when plastic boards.
The Gun Candy colors are air cured colors and will work on both plastic and metal.

Please be aware that in order to cerakote the keyboards the shop owner will sandblast the anodization off the keyboard then coat the board in the ceramic finish. This won't effect tolerances all that much. I have tested that out with my Noxary X60, along with a few other boards and everything seems to fit just fine.

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 18:05:22 by Tyson »

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
Re: Tyson's Cerakote Liaison Service
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:56:05 »
$35 + return shipping to get a 60% cerakoted? Count me in. When my Grid600 gets here I need to get that baby sprayed silver.. I'm in Memphis so im sure shipping will be minimal as well.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 17:09:07 »
might hit u up.
I love Elzy

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 17:25:38 »
Definitely a cool service and prices seem almost too good to be true! Might give this a try.

In terms of the Cerakote process, does this process and price include the removal of other finishes like anode, MAO, etc?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 18:26:38 »
Hmmm Cerakoted VE.A might look pretty nice

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Tyson

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 18:36:59 »
Definitely a cool service and prices seem almost too good to be true! Might give this a try.

In terms of the Cerakote process, does this process and price include the removal of other finishes like anode, MAO, etc?

Yes, the cost covers the removal of the finish on the board!

After talking to the owner for a bit it seems like a lot of these places charge a lot more because of all the amount of work they have to preform on the guns that come in. They need to open them up, degrease them, then take care of all the little individual parts along with having to use the proper tools to take apart the guns. When it comes to keyboards they are a lot simpler and I already bring them unassembled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 18:41:11 »
That X60 looks really good. This is a great service to bring to the community.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 19:01:15 »

Yes, the cost covers the removal of the finish on the board!

After talking to the owner for a bit it seems like a lot of these places charge a lot more because of all the amount of work they have to preform on the guns that come in. They need to open them up, degrease them, then take care of all the little individual parts along with having to use the proper tools to take apart the guns. When it comes to keyboards they are a lot simpler and I already bring them unassembled.

Great! Thanks for the info. Now to decide on which board I want to do. O.O

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 19:06:47 »
Those example pics look really nice and the prices are pretty great!

I've been wanting to cerkaote one of my TKLs for a while now...

Edit: holy cow that's a lot of available colors. Choosing one is gonna be a challenge.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2019, 19:09:12 by Pemdas »
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 19:22:21 »

Edit: holy cow that's a lot of available colors. Choosing one is gonna be a challenge.

Agreed, I knew what color I wanted but there are 4 that are similar haha

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 22:25:35 »

Agreed, I knew what color I wanted but there are 4 that are similar haha

Seems like every color except Orange has at least 3 options. 9 different types of silver too :eek:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Tyson

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 23:03:34 »
Got the Pearl back and couldn't wait to build it!

I know Terminal doesn't match the plate, I'm just using it on the board in the meantime until I can find another set that will have the same compatibility as Terminal for my layout. The only cap that isn't in the right row is Tab. Everything else works!

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 23:08:52 »
Color me interested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline thearctican

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 23:23:37 »
I saw that X60 in person the first time it was cerakote. The finish was excellent. Might ship out my C70 to you.

Offline apossardt

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 23:45:02 »
This is awesome. Is there any chance the actual cost might come in under 35? Not that 35 isn't super reasonable, more curious because I'd be interested in only the top half of a 45% which is probably much less surface area than a full 60%. The answer 'same price for my trouble' is also perfectly reasonable :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Tyson

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 23:49:53 »
This is awesome. Is there any chance the actual cost might come in under 35? Not that 35 isn't super reasonable, more curious because I'd be interested in only the top half of a 45% which is probably much less surface area than a full 60%. The answer 'same price for my trouble' is also perfectly reasonable :)

$35 is the cheapest unfortunately, sorry.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 00:10:29 »
Damn that X60 looks good.  Almost exactly what I was thinking of doing to mine.
Your price is definitely better than what the shop by me quoted,
but then again I'm in south FL where everything is overpriced  :))
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 08:35:32 »
Good Luck Tyson, I look forward to getting my act together to send over my X60!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 09:22:23 »
Thank you guys for the support! I'm glad people are getting on board! I will be contacting a few of you later on today! A few of you have talked to me before so I might contact you on Discord or Reddit!

Offline thearctican

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 10:27:40 »

$35 is the cheapest unfortunately, sorry.

$35 is super cheap anyway. Any cheaper and I imagine the shop is either giving away the materials or some portion of the time/labor.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 10:54:29 »
Perfect timing, Im in.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:14:28 »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a package stolen from me on Tuesday from my current address. Unfortunately that package was GMK Monochome, so I'm hurt that one of my favorite sets was stolen from me but at least I can learn not to have packages shipped to my address anymore. With that being said All keyboards sent for cerakoting will be sent to my parent house which has a Nest Doorbell so I will see all the deliveries. My mom is also retired and is home all the time so your keyboard will be in good hands! Luckily they only live 20 mins away from me so I can stop by on my way to the cerakote shop to pick up the boards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:16:23 by tyson522 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:26:59 »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a package stolen from me on Tuesday from my current address. Unfortunately that package was GMK Monochome, so I'm hurt that one of my favorite sets was stolen from me but at least I can learn not to have packages shipped to my address anymore. With that being said All keyboards sent for cerakoting will be sent to my parent house which has a Nest Doorbell so I will see all the deliveries. My mom is also retired and is home all the time so your keyboard will be in good hands! Luckily they only live 20 mins away from me so I can stop by on my way to the cerakote shop to pick up the boards.

monkaS
I love Elzy

Offline Tyson

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:34:39 »

monkaS

That's what I get for deciding to leave something at my front door of my apartment. Never again. I learned my lesson.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 13:49:09 »
That really sucks that you got your stuff stolen.  Damn porch pirates.

I had a question about your first board you had done, which I also ran across on the cerakote website :)

https://www.cerakote.com/gallery/detail/43297/Cerakote-custom-key-board-in-h143-benelli-sand/

Did your dude mask anything on the board before proceeding?  That's all.  Thanks

Offline Tyson

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 14:07:16 »

I had a question about your first board you had done, which I also ran across on the cerakote website :)

https://www.cerakote.com/gallery/detail/43297/Cerakote-custom-key-board-in-h143-benelli-sand/

Did your dude mask anything on the board before proceeding?  That's all.  Thanks

Ayy the guy was able to post a pic of it to the site! Awesome! As for masking he didn't need to he coated all the surface area of both halves. So both the inside and the outside are Benelli Sand. He even cerakoted my screws for the X60!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 14:25:48 »

Ayy the guy was able to post a pic of it to the site! Awesome! As for masking he didn't need to he coated all the surface area of both halves. So both the inside and the outside are Benelli Sand. He even cerakoted my screws for the X60!

Cool.  Thanks for the info. 

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 14:58:00 »
filled out a form

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:11:09 »
Got the Pearl back and couldn't wait to build it!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I know Terminal doesn't match the plate, I'm just using it on the board in the meantime until I can find another set that will have the same compatibility as Terminal for my layout. The only cap that isn't in the right row is Tab. Everything else works!

Filled out a form for Cobalt, though I was really thinking Sniper Grey would do the trick. Is the blue weight or base of your Pearl also Sniper Grey? That's the main thing that stopped me. My SO is looking for a dark grey, but not too dark, and certainly not blue or bluish. She really likes Charcoal.

e: After doing a bit of white balancing in Lightroom, it looks like Sniper Grey is lighter in color than what she wants, and close to the render that is posted on cerakote.com. "What you see is what you get" looks pretty true in this case. Their examples and galleries all just have terrible lighting it seems. We'll stick with Cobalt, assuming the 40-person cap hasn't been met. (:

Render:

Adjusted White Balance:

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:33:31 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline rondg

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 03:33:23 »
Will this be a regular thing? I don't have the funds right now so I am hoping that this is still a thing 2 to 3 months from now...  :(

EDIT: Read it again and got the answer on my question. Hope everything goes well!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2019, 04:31:06 by rondg »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 07:10:45 »
Just to confirm, will you be emailing us based on our place “in-line” of the form or were we supposed to PM you?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 07:36:22 »
Just to confirm, will you be emailing us based on our place “in-line” of the form or were we supposed to PM you?

I’ll contact you, give me a few I’m just getting up this morning. You are part of the first five. Is there anyway I can reach you on discord? I’m also going to be using that as an alternative way to reach out to the people on the list.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 08:18:50 »

I’ll contact you, give me a few I’m just getting up this morning. You are part of the first five. Is there anyway I can reach you on discord? I’m also going to be using that as an alternative way to reach out to the people on the list.

No worries, man. I was just making sure I didn’t miss a step.

ArchDill#5900 On discord.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 11:32:12 »
Spoke with the Shop Owner (Abel) and he let me know that MAO can be sandblasted off just like normal anodization. Him and I will be testing PLA to see if it can be cerakoted, I have recieved a few messages regarding trying to get a dactyl cerakoted, I would rather test out a cheap 3D printed Planck case before people start sending theirs just to make sure it will work. He is also going to get me a color ring with every single H Series color on it. As of right now I can say that each color texture will vary, some are smooth, some are a little bit rougher!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 13:07:53 »
Interested!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Tyson

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 16:10:45 »
The first 5 board owners have been contacted. I will take all 5 boards with me to the shop in one trip to conserve on gas and time once they all arrive. Expect an update with pictures once all the boards are done!

Offline poodude

Re: Tyson's Cerakote Liaison Service (Wave 1 of 8 Started)
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 20:56:54 »
Awesome to see this be reasonably priced. Very tempted to get one done. :thumb:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:15:51 »
Stoked to get this done! I can not wait to see what it looks like in the end!

Offline rachel

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:11:08 »
The finishing looks really good to me. Price is pretty reasonable too. Thanks for sharing and starting such service!
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:13:49 by rachel »

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 08:40:15 »
Yeah, this service is really awesome! My SO was disappointed in how light of a gray, almost silver, her KBD75 case was when it arrived; and they don't sell dark gray cases. Now we have a chance to fix it.  :thumb:
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 14:10:11 »
I have a question regarding this -- is every "wave" of boards a lead time of 2-3 weeks?

So 2nd wave will happen 2-3 weeks from now?

I'd like to have a board cerakoted but it seems I'm late, and I'd have to wait months if I submitted an entry now.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 00:50:21 »
I have a question regarding this -- is every "wave" of boards a lead time of 2-3 weeks?

So 2nd wave will happen 2-3 weeks from now?

I'd like to have a board cerakoted but it seems I'm late, and I'd have to wait months if I submitted an entry now.

I'm trying to run this service as best as possible, but since it is the first time I am running it I am trying to see how well I manage with 5 boards at a time, if the shop owner can manage 5 boards I will talk to him about bringing more boards in batches, I would hate to have an incorrect color be put on a board because there are too many boards and the owner was getting confused. Please be patient, the cerakote process alone takes about a week to a week and a half, my estimation of time is 2-3 weeks because I am factoring in time for the owners to ship to me, time at the cerakote shop, and time for me to ship back to the owners.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 14:35:41 »
A friend of mine, Dead Encryption, just got his E6-V2 back from the shop! Check out the pics! https://imgur.com/gallery/p2w1bqy

Offline poodude

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 22:05:57 »
Looks great, can't wait to get mine done!  :thumb:

Offline rondg

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 23:02:48 »
A friend of mine, Dead Encryption, just got his E6-V2 back from the shop! Check out the pics! https://imgur.com/gallery/p2w1bqy

Excited to get mine made!!!  :eek:

Offline Tyson

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 16:21:43 »
I just added a public spreadsheet with people's positions, boards, and colors. People who have filled out the form can look over what board and colors they selected for the top and bottom colors. Here's the spreadsheet

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 16:38:19 »
I just added a public spreadsheet with people's positions, boards, and colors. People who have filled out the form can look over what board and colors they selected for the top and bottom colors. Here's the spreadsheet

So excited to see mine!

Thanks for doing this. The process has been great so far!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:38:05 »

Oh dang I'm #12! Wave 3 ftw. Only thing that needs to be different is the change from Cobalt to Magpul Stealth Grey H-188Q.

Offline rondg

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:39:14 »

Only the top and bottom are cerakoted? Is it possible to cerakote other parts of the keyboard?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:48:05 »

Only the top and bottom are cerakoted? Is it possible to cerakote other parts of the keyboard?

Of course! It's going to cost more and we can talk about it when I send you a private message when it is time for your wave.