Author Topic: Mycestro - New pointing device  (Read 2289 times)

Offline vatin

Mycestro - New pointing device
« on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:26:01 »
https://www.mycestro.com/

There you have it folks...
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Findecanor

Re: Mycestro - New pointing device
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:34:27 »
The site does not say how it does tracking, but some articles say that it is using "motion detection". I suppose that means that it integrates the output from an accelerometer.

I have bought and tried a cheap "finger mouse" before. It was also strapped onto the index finger, but with a simple velcro strap, and it had the mouse buttons in same position, but it require me to touch the mouse to the desk to track. Cheap crap, not wireless, but I might be able to reuse the innards for some project ...

I wonder how it would feel after prolonged use... One advantage with using a mouse is that you can rest your arm on the table and get very high precision with only slight finger movements.

I also am afraid that the strap would break pretty soon. That would give an advantage to volumetric sensing (such as Leap Motion) or an overhead camera (like a guy at Microsoft Research did.. bah, I can't find the video now, sorry).

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:54:09 »
It looks like wearing this device would cause the cursor to move constantly while you are typing, which I would strongly dislike.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:31:46 »
It looks like wearing this device would cause the cursor to move constantly while you are typing, which I would strongly dislike.
That would be quite distracting.

And yes, it's using accelerometers or a gyro.
There has been a few mice with them over the years for presentations, the better ones work fine, but don't expect precision movement.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:57:24 »
The site is rubbish and the information is ambiguous.
Apparently, the pictures on the site, the press previews (under the Press heading) and the videos (different videos on the site and in press previews) show different prototypes and 3D renderings that work in different ways.

In the CNET article, it says that you have to touch the button strip to make it start tracking.
Mycestro's site has a quote of the CNET interview that says this, but it is in a large font somewhere below the FAQ so it is easy to miss. This article also says that you click by "tapping" a button.
The FAQ says that you will be able to configure the relative size of the "buttons" on the touch-strip.

Somewhere (I can not again find where...) it says that the buttons are tactile...

Hmm... so if I understand things correctly, you would enable the device by touching the button-strip and you would click by pressing a button. I suppose that the button-strip is like the surface of the "Apple Magic Mouse" where there is actually only one physical switch and whether the click is left or right is determined on if you touch the surface on the left or right side.
... but I could be wrong.
Ah, I'll send them an email to get them to clarify this!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:37:24 »
I think it would be a failure.

One very simple thing. Most people hate black cherry switches. They say these are too heavy.

How many black cherry switches are you going to wear all the time on your finger while typing?

gesture science is improving leaps and bounds. in a few years, you can just get cameras to track your index finger pointing at the screen. If you click your fingers, they will probably double click for you.  Why would you need to wear something?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.