Author Topic: [IC] GON Custom Alps PCB's/Keyboard (NOW WITH FORM)  (Read 28419 times)

Offline dante

Re: [IC] GON Custom Alps PCB's/Keyboard (NOW WITH FORM)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 19:47:59 »
I'd honestly be more interested if it were full-size or 110 percent.  This feels like it's sort of "in the middle" between the Matias 60% project and the GH122.

What do you think about a replacement fullsize aluminum case for the 104 Matias?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:22:58 »
GON says the the Alps NerD PCB would have the same dimensions and layout as its MX counterpart.

So yes on ISO, split backspace/shift, and compatibility with Poker/Pure cases (assuming you have a compatible plate of course).

Offline pasph

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 15:02:54 »
Ok give me 2 of those
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:48:05 »
GON says the the Alps NerD PCB would have the same dimensions and layout as its MX counterpart.

So yes on ISO, split backspace/shift, and compatibility with Poker/Pure cases (assuming you have a compatible plate of course).

Would GON consider having some compatible plates made?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline geniekid

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:15:23 »

Yes, although I'm curious what he plans to do about stabilizer locations.

That reminds me that Matias is going to start selling key caps soon and there's also another IC running for Alps key caps.  It might be wise for us to wait a bit and see what actually becomes available.  I hate the idea of running a GB for keyboard parts that depend on products that haven't materialized.  There will be significantly more interest if there's an actual source of caps and stabilizers so people won't have to harvest old boards for parts.

Thoughts?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:42:20 »

That reminds me that Matias is going to start selling key caps soon and there's also another IC running for Alps key caps.  It might be wise for us to wait a bit and see what actually becomes available.  I hate the idea of running a GB for keyboard parts that depend on products that haven't materialized.  There will be significantly more interest if there's an actual source of caps and stabilizers so people won't have to harvest old boards for parts.

Thoughts?

Perhaps we could get the stabilizers & inserts from Matias.   

I know they will able to sell keycaps in the future also, but I would want to wait to see what they look like. Plus I would really want more cap color choices besides black & white.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline scubaste

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 22:03:34 »
I'm interested in 60% or TKL.

Offline dante

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 22:21:19 »

Thoughts?

Probably a very good idea.  Still nice to generate a IC to see if maybe there are enough buyers for both 60% and TKL.

It will be especially interesting to see what other custom Korean Alps boards might become available.  Hopefully some Korean members can forward Matias contact info onto them to open the flood gates.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 23:45:14 »

Thoughts?

Perhaps we could get the stabilizers & inserts from Matias.   

I know they will able to sell keycaps in the future also, but I would want to wait to see what they look like. Plus I would really want more cap color choices besides black & white.

We're starting with keycaps and then will make stabs + associated parts available.  SP uses Cherry stabs for their ALPS caps, so something like this allows support for both...

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63349.msg1486145#msg1486145

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 23:57:49 »
This is good news! ^^^^

The legends on matias keyboards are gorgeous. I'd love to have a set of these doubleshot in WoB for an alps build i have coming up.

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline geniekid

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 09:25:17 »
Still nice to generate a IC to see if maybe there are enough buyers for both 60% and TKL.

It will be especially interesting to see what other custom Korean Alps boards might become available.  Hopefully some Korean members can forward Matias contact info onto them to open the flood gates.

Agreed.  GON has asked to keep the IC going even if we're delaying an actual GB so we can still gather data on what everyone wants even if we can't provide it right at the moment.  So fill out that IC form in the OP if you haven't yet!

We're starting with keycaps and then will make stabs + associated parts available.  SP uses Cherry stabs for their ALPS caps, so something like this allows support for both...

Good to hear!  If we're going to make a board it should be designed to work with Matias parts at the very least since these are the parts that will be most available to the non-harvester.  Which reminds me - GON has mentioned he lacks a design guide and he doesn't feel that measuring reference parts with calipers would be accurate enough.  Matias, I think at some point we're going to need reference drawings/dimensions to know where to put the stabilizer holes.  Would you be willing to share this information?  ;D

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:14:53 »
Still nice to generate a IC to see if maybe there are enough buyers for both 60% and TKL.

Agreed.  GON has asked to keep the IC going even if we're delaying an actual GB so we can still gather data on what everyone wants even if we can't provide it right at the moment.  So fill out that IC form in the OP if you haven't yet!

Good to hear!  If we're going to make a board it should be designed to work with Matias parts at the very least since these are the parts that will be most available to the non-harvester.  Which reminds me - GON has mentioned he lacks a design guide and he doesn't feel that measuring reference parts with calipers would be accurate enough.  Matias, I think at some point we're going to need reference drawings/dimensions to know where to put the stabilizer holes.  Would you be willing to share this information?  ;D

If SP or Tai Hao(Tai Hao would be better for pricing) makes ALPS caps /w cross hole stabilizers(CHERRY type), I would design my board for it.
I prefer CHERRY PCB mount Stabilizers. Of course this PCB can fit ALPS original(like costar) stabilizers /w proper plate.

I think it would be great I can colaborated GB with someone who will be in charge of Keycaps from SP, so that I can concentrate on the PCB and the Plate. ;) If we GB in this way, I think we can reduce time dramatically.
As you see in NerD GH60 Housing GB(Later changed into NerD 60 due to delay of GH60 PCB release), NerD 60 Black PCBs GB that I ran, I don't like taking too much delay. I like fast process, only if the fund(payments) is raised fast enough. ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:34:29 by GON »
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 15:52:10 »

If SP or Tai Hao(Tai Hao would be better for pricing) makes ALPS caps /w cross hole stabilizers(CHERRY type), I would design my board for it.
I prefer CHERRY PCB mount Stabilizers. Of course this PCB can fit ALPS original(like costar) stabilizers /w proper plate.

You could do it this way, but it would only support SP keycaps for keys that require stabs (2u or wider caps).  If you're okay with that, then you'll just need spacebars, which we can supply to you (since SP doesn't have tooling for ALPS spacebars).

PM me your address and I'll send you 4.5u, 5.5u, and 7u spacebar samples to test with your stabs. 

For modern layouts, 4.5u is probably best -- it leaves enough space for 1.5u modifiers and the spacebar nicely centred.

78933-0

78936-1

78938-2

I think it would be great I can colaborated GB with someone who will be in charge of Keycaps from SP, so that I can concentrate on the PCB and the Plate. ;) If we GB in this way, I think we can reduce time dramatically.
As you see in NerD GH60 Housing GB(Later changed into NerD 60 due to delay of GH60 PCB release), NerD 60 Black PCBs GB that I ran, I don't like taking too much delay. I like fast process, only if the fund(payments) is raised fast enough. ;)

I've posted your request in the ALPS DCS IC started by Badwrench...

http://geekhack.org/?topic=62274.msg1491070#msg1491070

Stab mount details for SP caps are shown in the IC post...

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62274.msg1453381#msg1453381

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 October 2014, 16:09:32 by Matias »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 16:02:51 »
Matias, would your space bars have the MX-style cross holes?

Also, thanks!  Maybe we can pull this off after all :)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 16:15:30 »

Matias, would your space bars have the MX-style cross holes?

The ABS ones are MX-style. 

The PBT ones are ALPS style.

Also, thanks!  Maybe we can pull this off after all :)

Fingers crossed...  :-)

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:25:50 »

You could do it this way, but it would only support SP keycaps for keys that require stabs (2u or wider caps).  If you're okay with that, then you'll just need spacebars, which we can supply to you (since SP doesn't have tooling for ALPS spacebars).

PM me your address and I'll send you 4.5u, 5.5u, and 7u spacebar samples to test with your stabs. 

For modern layouts, 4.5u is probably best -- it leaves enough space for 1.5u modifiers and the spacebar nicely centred.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I've posted your request in the ALPS DCS IC started by Badwrench...

http://geekhack.org/?topic=62274.msg1491070#msg1491070

Stab mount details for SP caps are shown in the IC post...

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62274.msg1453381#msg1453381

If I make NerD 60 ALPS, the layouts will be the same as NerD 60 MX.
So 6x / 6.25x / 7.00x spacebars will only be adopted.

Layouts should pursue compatibility as much as possible. ;)

PCB mount MX Stabilizers will be supported by the PCB. And ALPS types will be supported by the plate/frame.
And I'm gonna design the Plate /w 2T materials by CNC-machining. ;)
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 07:02:27 »
I'd really want this be tenkeyless since I already have two 60%s coming in

Offline pasph

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 12:27:16 »

+1
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 12:56:46 »

+1

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 13:09:43 »

Yes, I agree, sticking to the standards is best whenever possible.

Currently, only 7x spacebars are available for ALPS.  Nobody has tooling for 6x / 6.25x ALPS spacebars.

PCB mount MX Stabilizers will be supported by the PCB. And ALPS types will be supported by the plate/frame.
And I'm gonna design the Plate /w 2T materials by CNC-machining. ;)

Sounds good.

Also, Badwrench has agreed to help you...

This is all wonderful news.  With this new possiblity, lets get a few more votes on the colors to get a difinitve first color choice and go from there.  I will contact SP about getting samples for GON on monday (or I can send the keys from my chicony which has the correct spacing for cherry/costar stabs)

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 20:02:53 »
I'm kind of hoping this one is delayed long enough to get the bluetooth integration and I can build around the white board then swap.   I should have just bought a hhkb  :))
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline geniekid

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 21:37:54 »
Responses so far.  The IC is in the first post!

We're halfway to MOQ with TKL and not too far behind with 60%.  Obviously interest is not the same as actual ordering but if we get closer to 50 we can probably pick a single format for this round.  I'm confident if we focus on one format for the GB with an OP that has pictures/prices/features/timelines we can get this thing off the ground, especially with GON's reputation for delivering the goods in a timely manner :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 October 2014, 21:47:36 by geniekid »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 21:58:31 »

Currently, only 7x spacebars are available for ALPS.  Nobody has tooling for 6x / 6.25x ALPS spacebars.

From the looks of it the KBParadise V60 MTS will be using 6.25 spacebars.  I wonder where they are getting theirs from?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 03:02:21 »

From the looks of it the KBParadise V60 MTS will be using 6.25 spacebars.  I wonder where they are getting theirs from?

Good question...

We just checked with the vendor and the said they do now have tooling for 6.25 ALPS spacebar -- so we can get it.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 08:28:29 »
Hurray!  Nice catch CommonCurt.

Offline dante

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 12:38:19 »

I'm confident if we focus on one format for the GB with an OP that has pictures/prices/features/timelines we can get this thing off the ground, especially with GON's reputation for delivering the goods in a timely manner :thumb:

I guess right now it's waiting time for the IC to hit 50 and GON to get a hold of some caps.

I agree one format will probably work best.  My only concern with going with 60% is it may cannibalize some KBP V60MTS/Matias 60% sales - which would be very unfortunate.  I'm not one to tell other people what they should have but it might be beneficial to do Tenkeyless this time around.  KBP has the V60MTS sales under a microscope and I'd hate for this to cannibalize sales and send a mixed message.

That being said if 60% wins, well there you have it.

btw

GON: I notice you have GB on your webpage - once a GB goes live should people be directed to a page on your site to place orders?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:00:43 »

I'm confident if we focus on one format for the GB with an OP that has pictures/prices/features/timelines we can get this thing off the ground, especially with GON's reputation for delivering the goods in a timely manner :thumb:

I guess right now it's waiting time for the IC to hit 50 and GON to get a hold of some caps.

I agree one format will probably work best.  My only concern with going with 60% is it may cannibalize some KBP V60MTS/Matias 60% sales - which would be very unfortunate.  I'm not one to tell other people what they should have but it might be beneficial to do Tenkeyless this time around.  KBP has the V60MTS sales under a microscope and I'd hate for this to cannibalize sales and send a mixed message.

That being said if 60% wins, well there you have it.

btw

GON: I notice you have GB on your webpage - once a GB goes live should people be directed to a page on your site to place orders?

Yes, people can directly place an order at my website.
They can combine other items to their shipment too. ;)

This is the best way for me not to make a mistake concerning the orders.

If this GB is live, I will add the GB product at GB section. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:06:23 »
I agree one format will probably work best.  My only concern with going with 60% is it may cannibalize some KBP V60MTS/Matias 60% sales
I share your reticence for cannibalizing on Matias' upcoming 60% GB especially since he started it at the behest of this community.  That said, we might be able to skip any ethical dilemma for this round as the responses so far are leaning in favor of TKL.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:13:14 »
Yes, people can directly place an order at my website.
They can combine other items to their shipment too. ;)

This is the best way for me not to make a mistake concerning the orders.

If this GB is live, I will add the GB product at GB section. ;)

Sounds good!  I think we need a little bit more interest before we start the GB.  I'd rather have a longer IC and a GB that moves quickly than a GB that stays open for too long because of inadequate interest.

Maybe when we hit 40 *potential* orders we can request a link from GON and open that GB thread?  What do you guys think?

Offline dante

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:16:47 »
Maybe over 40 and GON has had a chance to look at the keycaps / stabs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:43:13 »
I agree one format will probably work best.  My only concern with going with 60% is it may cannibalize some KBP V60MTS/Matias 60% sales
I share your reticence for cannibalizing on Matias' upcoming 60% GB especially since he started it at the behest of this community.  That said, we might be able to skip any ethical dilemma for this round as the responses so far are leaning in favor of TKL.

There's no ethical quandary with someone else doing a 60%.  It's business and business means competition.  In any case, I know I have no interest in the Matthias 60% due to the layout and caps.  I also wouldn't say it was at the behest of the community when he saw an opportunity to capitalize on.

Also, Matthias will make money off switches people buy for it and potentially caps as well.

Lastly on this matter, since it's a Gon, this is a Korean custom, something that doesn't typically compete with cheaper options like the Matthias and V60MTS.  If anything, it's competing with Duck and his keyboards.

Don't take this as me being ungrateful or bashing Matthias, just providing a counterpoint to what's being said.

Lastly, I know I'm just one voice, but I've been pushing for a custom Alps 60% PCB well before anyone started making one and before there were talks of one.    I even tried to see if I could mod the GH60 files to be Alps compatible (and failed). I love Alps, but I wouldn't order anything if it was TKL, but plan on several as 60%.

In other words, why not both?
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:47:31 by nubbinator »

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:51:13 »

Thanks, I appreciate the consideration -- as I'm sure does KBP.  :-)

Ethics aside, there are gaps in the ecosystem, so filling those gaps makes a lot more sense than doing another one of something that already exists.

There is no proper TKL out there with ALPS switches.  That means no competition for this GB if it's a TKL -- making it MUCH easier for it to achieve its MOQ.

If GON wants to do a 60, that's up to him, but doing a TKL would be a smarter business decision.

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 14:54:10 by Matias »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 15:21:50 »
If we decide on TKL for this round, I fully intend to run an IC for 60% in the future (if someone else does not).  I do think they should be run separately to have any hope of reaching MOQ.

If GON wants to do a 60, that's up to him, but doing a TKL would be a smarter business decision.
Based on the MOQ information he gave me earlier I don't think he's opposed to doing TKL.  Obviously I don't speak for him, but based on reading various IC/GB threads and talking to him it sounds like if you can get 50 orders together he'll design and make it, whatever it is :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 15:23:27 by geniekid »

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:21:18 »
I am very interested in Matias switches but the layout
and programmability don't meet my use cases.   Gon custom has the potential to satisfy them.   There is no split of interests from my perspective.   It is a non programmable  with cursor keys vs a custom multi layered minimal 60‰.  Different buyers altogether.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 16:40:53 »
Matias, don't you make several TKL boards?  They just have non-standard layouts.

I still say why noy both.  And geniekid, I really doubt running them concurrently would cause any significant cannibalization.

I am very interested in Matias switches but the layout
and programmability don't meet my use cases.   Gon custom has the potential to satisfy them.   There is no split of interests from my perspective.   It is a non programmable  with cursor keys vs a custom multi layered minimal 60‰.  Different buyers altogether.

Exactly this.  Don't forget potential for multiple layouts too.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:22:21 »

If we decide on TKL for this round, I fully intend to run an IC for 60% in the future (if someone else does not).  I do think they should be run separately to have any hope of reaching MOQ.

Based on the MOQ information he gave me earlier I don't think he's opposed to doing TKL.  Obviously I don't speak for him, but based on reading various IC/GB threads and talking to him it sounds like if you can get 50 orders together he'll design and make it, whatever it is :)

I second this. Right now because of funds and the fact that I already have 2 60%s coming I can really only afford one more keyboard and would prefer it to be TKL. That said, in the future I will be looking to get another 60% so I'm all up for future IC's.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:33:00 »
On the subject of market overlap between GON 60 and Matias 60, I think this is an argument that we could draw out but I'd like to stay focused on the prize.  Let's stick with first-to-reach-40 wins for this round and focus on that layout.  If it's 60% then it's 60%. 

On the subject of running a 60% and TKL GB concurrently, I think it's worth asserting that there are enough people interested in both (but will only buy one) that two concurrent GBs will cause MOQ issues.  This is based on the responses so far.  If we remove non-60/TKL formats from consideration, I count
  • 8 people who are only interested in 60%
  • 10 people who are only interested in TKL
  • 9 people who are interested in both

So almost a third of the people expressing interest would be divided.  It's possible that a well advertised GB would draw in enough numbers for both (50 orders for each), but I do not believe that is the case.  Start advertising this IC - if we get 100 votes in a way that 50 of each is plausible, hell, let's do both.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:36:57 by geniekid »

Offline dante

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:30:42 »
OK!

I had a crazy idea today - STAY WITH ME - what if the PCB had MX for the stabilized keys and Alps for everything else?  So only the 'Shifts', 'Enter', and 'BackSpace' were MX only?  Would that put you off thinking 'whats the point' - just thought it might be a bit easier for keycap customization.  I know SP/TaoHao may be down the road but I'm sort of thinking Plan-B lets gets this DONE.

I know it sounds crazy - but think about it for a moment...

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:36:44 »
OK!

I had a crazy idea today - STAY WITH ME - what if the PCB had MX for the stabilized keys and Alps for everything else?  So only the 'Shifts', 'Enter', and 'BackSpace' were MX only?  Would that put you off thinking 'whats the point' - just thought it might be a bit easier for keycap customization.  I know SP/TaoHao may be down the road but I'm sort of thinking Plan-B lets gets this DONE.

Thought about it.    Nope

Offline pasph

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:45:35 »
No no

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:47:05 »
OK!

MX and Alps on the same board just so we can have nice keycaps? Hell no. I'd rather my caps forever be beige than to mix and match switches.

Offline dante

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:58:47 »
okok - :D

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:00:08 »
OK!

I'd rather my caps forever be beige than to mix and match switches.

I have to agree.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:40:51 »
OK!

I'd rather my caps forever be beige than to mix and match switches.

I have to agree.
+1 but I would be willing to make a compromise for the escape key ;p

Offline geniekid

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:26:33 »
Someone asked about the programmability of the firmware.  My understanding is that the PCB will be pretty much your normal NerD PCB with modified switch hole placement, which means it will use GON's Nerdy GUI for programming which can be downloaded here and does not require an internet connection (after the initial download).

Offline deci

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:09:41 »
On the subject of market overlap between GON 60 and Matias 60, I think this is an argument that we could draw out but I'd like to stay focused on the prize.  Let's stick with first-to-reach-40 wins for this round and focus on that layout.  If it's 60% then it's 60%. 

On the subject of running a 60% and TKL GB concurrently, I think it's worth asserting that there are enough people interested in both (but will only buy one) that two concurrent GBs will cause MOQ issues.  This is based on the responses so far.  If we remove non-60/TKL formats from consideration, I count
  • 8 people who are only interested in 60%
  • 10 people who are only interested in TKL
  • 9 people who are interested in both

So almost a third of the people expressing interest would be divided.  It's possible that a well advertised GB would draw in enough numbers for both (50 orders for each), but I do not believe that is the case.  Start advertising this IC - if we get 100 votes in a way that 50 of each is plausible, hell, let's do both.

Speaking of market overlap on 60% Matias... Massdrop Infinity just entered the fray.
It's a fully customizable alps or mx board with a modified HHKB layout in a GON skinny style case.
Pretty cheap without keycaps.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:30:36 »
It's good that Matias and the Infinity are bringing Alps to more people.  I think even if you're not really into either one of those options, having more people exposed to Alps will ultimately allow for more successful GBs based around Alps in the future.  The Infinity will hopefully drive up demand for compatible key sets (such as Badwrench's GB) and that will in turn (hopefully) drive up demand for GON Alps :)

The hardest part is the waiting!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 19:58:58 »
It's good that Matias and the Infinity are bringing Alps to more people.  I think even if you're not really into either one of those options, having more people exposed to Alps will ultimately allow for more successful GBs based around Alps in the future.  The Infinity will hopefully drive up demand for compatible key sets (such as Badwrench's GB) and that will in turn (hopefully) drive up demand for GON Alps :)

The hardest part is the waiting!

Agreed.  :-)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:32:42 »
If you're following this thread you're likely already following the Delta Blues Alps keyset as well.  In the slim chance that you are not, SP now has a live interest check for an Alps keyset that would be compatible with a future GON Alps PCB/keyboard (Delta Blues will have MX stabilizers and GON has stated he would design the PCB to support MX PCB stabilizers).  Vote for it here!

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:38:53 »
sym sgg 60% alps w/ mrinterface adapter would be great
may i will buy pcb only
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"