Author Topic: [GB] Evil 80 (finished production)  (Read 89730 times)

Offline HappyCatFish

Re: [GB] Evil 80 (finished production)
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 13:02:10 »
 Here are a few more photos, I finished my initial build the other night. Custom polycarb plate, stickered and lubed silent blacks with 62G springs, and zeal screw on stabs. I am having a custom cable made by someone else so I have not yet been able to test or program the board.

A few more thoughts on the kit; the aviation connector is really cool, and mounting is well designed however the clearance on the cable and the PCB is a little tight. You have to put quite a bit of pressure on the cable and PCB to make it fit. The plates are pretty meh quality wise... I had already made a custom plate since plastic was not originally an option, but upon unboxing the brass and plastic plate ramiel included I was disappointed. The plastic plate has a ton of burs and the finish on the brass plate leaves a bit to be desired. I intend to do a bit of filing to clean up the brass plate before using it. I do not think I will use the plastic plate at all.

Huan contacted me regarding my missing PCB and hardware, told me he would send them right away. Until I finish the cable I don't really have much else to say. Programming the keyboard should be pretty straightforward however I am not really a fan of having a flash mode button on the PCB since it requires the case to be taken apart to flash a new keymap.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 16:49:36 »
however I am not really a fan of having a flash mode button on the PCB since it requires the case to be taken apart to flash a new keymap.

Didn't the guys opt for a QMK PCB? If so you can just bind a reset key which puts the board into dfu mode, the keycode for that is (surprise): RESET. Just put that somewhere you don't accidentally hit (uncommon key on the FN layer for example) and you never have to hit the physical reset button again.

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 17:23:12 »
Here are a few more photos, I finished my initial build the other night. Custom polycarb plate, stickered and lubed silent blacks with 62G springs, and zeal screw on stabs. I am having a custom cable made by someone else so I have not yet been able to test or program the board.

A few more thoughts on the kit; the aviation connector is really cool, and mounting is well designed however the clearance on the cable and the PCB is a little tight. You have to put quite a bit of pressure on the cable and PCB to make it fit. The plates are pretty meh quality wise... I had already made a custom plate since plastic was not originally an option, but upon unboxing the brass and plastic plate ramiel included I was disappointed. The plastic plate has a ton of burs and the finish on the brass plate leaves a bit to be desired. I intend to do a bit of filing to clean up the brass plate before using it. I do not think I will use the plastic plate at all.

Huan contacted me regarding my missing PCB and hardware, told me he would send them right away. Until I finish the cable I don't really have much else to say. Programming the keyboard should be pretty straightforward however I am not really a fan of having a flash mode button on the PCB since it requires the case to be taken apart to flash a new keymap.
Looks clean as F#$@ can't wait to get mine. Huan received more custom plates and will hopefully get the default plates today and then send out the rest of the boards. Do you know which program is used when programming the PCB?

Offline Latto

« Reply #253 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 09:17:34 »
however I am not really a fan of having a flash mode button on the PCB since it requires the case to be taken apart to flash a new keymap.

Didn't the guys opt for a QMK PCB? If so you can just bind a reset key which puts the board into dfu mode, the keycode for that is (surprise): RESET. Just put that somewhere you don't accidentally hit (uncommon key on the FN layer for example) and you never have to hit the physical reset button again.

Did you receive any tracking/shipping info or it just showed up? Looks great btw!

Offline Latto

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 09:18:56 »
Ah sorry that was meant for HappyCatFish!

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 17:00:22 »
I did not receive any shipping or tracking info, it just showed up.

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #256 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 01:10:34 »
Does anybody know the pinout for the aviation connector? I am looking at putting together my cable and I realized that I don't have a diagram or anything. I don't want to make any assumptions and mess up my cable.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #257 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 11:39:06 »
Well, I suppose I can look forward to a surprise at some point then. Although it would be nice to have tracking in case it winds up sitting in my apartment complex office for a few weeks before I notice  :'(

Offline Latto

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 16:06:55 »
Well, I suppose I can look forward to a surprise at some point then. Although it would be nice to have tracking in case it winds up sitting in my apartment complex office for a few weeks before I notice  :'(

For all of their issues I'll be happy if Massdrop sets up some stricter policies regarding groupbuy standards. The level of communication and how some details of this buy are being handled is unacceptable. No communication for months and no tracking for a $500+ purchase going through international shipping....

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #259 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 17:18:42 »

For all of their issues I'll be happy if Massdrop sets up some stricter policies regarding groupbuy standards. The level of communication and how some details of this buy are being handled is unacceptable. No communication for months and no tracking for a $500+ purchase going through international shipping....
It sucks i know but i would suggest using QQ to contact Huan. He has always responded to me on that. the information to join the group was posted a page back by me.

Offline Latto

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 00:17:54 »

It sucks i know but i would suggest using QQ to contact Huan. He has always responded to me on that. the information to join the group was posted a page back by me.

It makes no difference. Why should i use a 4th party app to arrange details laid out on this one? You use the platform you started on no matter what you are doing.. The standards of doing business on gb's like this just make me appreciate legit gb's. I will never join this crap again... Dishonest business at best and manipulation and liars at worst...

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #261 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:00:17 »
Just received mine and it is fantastic, EVE has done a bang up job with the case and the anod is great. Already slapped it together with some Vintage blacks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2018, 21:15:07 by JubJubCity »

Offline mmontess

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:03:12 »
Just received mine and it is fantastic, EVE has done a bang up job with the case and the anod is great. Already slapped it together with some Vintage blacks.
Did you get any shipping notifications at all? Can we all just expect to randomly receive this? lol

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:06:54 »
Did you get any shipping notifications at all? Can we all just expect to randomly receive this? lol
Didn't get any thing, but UPS delivered it.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:13:09 »
Guess I gotta be the crazy guy who checks his apartment complex's office for packages every day until it arrives then lol

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:14:48 »
Guess I gotta be the crazy guy who checks his apartment complex's office for packages every day until it arrives then lol

I'll ask Huan to send you a shipping notification

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:15:48 »
lol the wait was worth it

Offline superhot

« Reply #267 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 03:35:29 »

Makes me moist.

Did not one of you have to pay import customs?

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 11:33:33 »

Makes me moist.

Not I

Offline CornCha0s

« Reply #269 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 11:46:46 »

Makes me moist.

Had to pay 60€ in Germany

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #270 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 17:57:46 »
I am having issues with terminating an existing usb cable of mine with the included connector. Keyboard usb keyboard device descriptor request failed when I plug it in, and the caps lock LED lights up.

Does the PCB come pre-flashed with firmware? Has anyone had any success flashing custom firmware to their board?

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #271 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 22:01:45 »
I am having issues with terminating an existing usb cable of mine with the included connector. Keyboard usb keyboard device descriptor request failed when I plug it in, and the caps lock LED lights up.

Does the PCB come pre-flashed with firmware? Has anyone had any success flashing custom firmware to their board?
Mine was flashed already

Offline klove4252

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:35:33 »
Still waiting on my board as well. I haven't seen any tracking come through.

Offline ipley

« Reply #273 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 10:46:02 »
hello.
my keyboard shipping not yet..

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 15:45:05 »
I received the missing hardware and PCB that was not included in my original package.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 15:46:19 »
I received the missing hardware and PCB that was not included in my original package.
Good to hear! Hopefully the rest of us wind up getting our boards soon :D

Offline klove4252

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 17:24:01 »
My board arrived today hopefully others will be getting theirs shortly

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline klove4252

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 17:56:12 »
Anyone know if the PCB comes with resistors/diodes pre-soldered? My board arrived today but don't have it on hand currently to check.

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 23:21:31 »
Anyone know if the PCB comes with resistors/diodes pre-soldered? My board arrived today but don't have it on hand currently to check.

Yeah its good to go, i would check each key with tweezers while the board is plugged in to make sure all the keys are recognized

Offline arid_tare

« Reply #279 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 19:55:44 »
I'm looking to sell my board (once I actually get it in the mail). It's a silver white case with black aluminum plate and weight.  PM if interested.

Offline ipley

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 05:25:45 »
When will you ship it?

I can not get in touch, and I do not have access to the device.

Contact him Anyone?

Offline mmontess

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:03:11 »
Still nothing here. Frankly it's completely insane to me that we are not being provided with tracking, lol. My apartment staff is going to get sick of me swinging by the office asking if anything arrived for me.

Offline ipley

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 13:16:56 »
Do you know how to contact this person?

Please contact me.

Offline klove4252

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 15:02:19 »
Still nothing here. Frankly it's completely insane to me that we are not being provided with tracking, lol. My apartment staff is going to get sick of me swinging by the office asking if anything arrived for me.

Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, the board is worth the wait.

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #284 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 15:04:34 »

ive talked  to shower king, and he said he would send a shipping notification to you specifically. I cant say for sure that will happen cuz of language barrier or his memory, but at atleast i tried.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 15:11:55 »

ive talked  to shower king, and he said he would send a shipping notification to you specifically. I cant say for sure that will happen cuz of language barrier or his memory, but at atleast i tried.

I appreciate that a lot, thanks man!

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 20:45:27 »

Huan is shower king? Mind blown........

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #287 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 01:00:06 »

Huan is shower king? Mind blown........

Haha, i mean Huan of course  :p

Offline Latto

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 14:57:36 »
I've messaged and no response at all. Has anyone heard anything?

Offline mmontess

« Reply #289 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 17:04:07 »
I've messaged and no response at all. Has anyone heard anything?
Nope, and no deliveries either. Sigh.

Offline Latto

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 22:36:36 »
I emailed Ramiel and his response was really worrisome. He said Huan has stopped responding to him after he repeatedly tried to figure out what was going on with the delays... No way to dispute the charge via Paypal at this point I think..

Offline mmontess

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 10:38:07 »
I emailed Ramiel and his response was really worrisome. He said Huan has stopped responding to him after he repeatedly tried to figure out what was going on with the delays... No way to dispute the charge via Paypal at this point I think..
Yep the paypal dispute timeline has long since passed. Worrisome update there. Rapidly approaching a year since joining this....lol

Offline Latto

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 09:17:18 »
Small update. Huan responded to an email and its a bit chaotic. I asked him whats up with shipping and here's his response:

"I'm very sorry, I didn't send your keyboard because EVE only made one nameplate, he missed the brass, he only made one for all two nameplates, he has contacted him to make a new one, I'm really sorry, now I only have one black one.(The keyboard on the photo is for other people, and yours is silver white.)"

I don't really know what he means. He seems to say the black one got made and the brass one didn't as I ordered two nameplates/weights one in black aluminum and one in brass, but in his attached photo its clearly the brass one he says didn't get made. Also I ordered a silver case which he clarifies isn't mine in the picture (as its not silver), but it has my nameplate on it that he says didn't get made? I emailed for clarification and haven't had a response yet....

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2018, 09:19:06 by Latto »

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 09:21:44 »
they are definitely having problems making all the correct nameplates.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 11:30:16 »
Seriously? This GB has been running for 11 months and we are only now finding out about nameplate issues? I'm cursing myself for not taking the scumbag route and doing a chargeback when I still could. What a ****show. I would take a stock or blank name plate, I don't even care about the engraving, lol.

Also, why is the GB runner or Huan never updating this thread? We have to find out everything 2nd hand. If other entrants hadn't taken initiative, we would have absolutely no idea why we didn't have the boards that were supposed to ship in MARCH.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2018, 11:33:28 by mmontess »

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 12:20:47 »
Seriously? This GB has been running for 11 months and we are only now finding out about nameplate issues? I'm cursing myself for not taking the scumbag route and doing a chargeback when I still could. What a ****show. I would take a stock or blank name plate, I don't even care about the engraving, lol.

Also, why is the GB runner or Huan never updating this thread? We have to find out everything 2nd hand. If other entrants hadn't taken initiative, we would have absolutely no idea why we didn't have the boards that were supposed to ship in MARCH.

we already knew about the first nameplate issue, cuz eve made them with m2.5 threads. this time, there seems to be some missing nameplates.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #296 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 12:31:27 »

11 months? those are rookie numbers kid.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline mmontess

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 13:12:56 »

11 months? those are rookie numbers kid.

I understand that several other group buys have equally bad projected timelines, but a >11 month wait on a 3 month projected timeline is, at best, incredibly annoying
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 October 2018, 15:37:26 by mmontess »

Offline mmontess

« Reply #298 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 15:32:11 »
Well, the good news is my board did actually arrive to my apartment.

The bad news is that is has a gigantic gash right above the name plate :(

Totally understandable though, would have been completely out of character for something related to this group buy to actually have gone smoothly.

I am pretty peeved.

Offline Latto

« Reply #299 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 04:19:28 »
Well, the good news is my board did actually arrive to my apartment.

The bad news is that is has a gigantic gash right above the name plate :(

Show Image

Totally understandable though, would have been completely out of character for something related to this group buy to actually have gone smoothly.

I am pretty peeved.

Fuuuuuuck. Sorry man.. Such a **** show.