Author Topic: Where to take water-damaged laptop?  (Read 2650 times)

Offline patmosphere

Where to take water-damaged laptop?
« on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 20:55:07 »
Basically, I spilled Four LOKO (yes, I know) on my laptop around two months ago. I was not thinking at the time and figured it would just be Ol' Reliable and continue to work perfectly functional, however this is not the case. I cannot install, I cannot extract, I cannot do many things typical non-water-damaged laptops are capable of. So my question is: Where should I take my laptop to get it fixed? I am willing to pay the repair costs instead of replacing due to this laptop having decked out specs and well I got it for Christmas ha. Yeah I'm pretty responsible. Anyways, all suggestions will be helpful! Thanksauces

Offline chimera15

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 21:10:39 »
Does it still boot? If it does, then your problem sounds like a system problem, not a result of your spill...  What do you mean you can't extract??
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 August 2010, 21:19:30 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline patmosphere

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 22:01:30 »
It boots fine. Internet works. And by extract I mean unzip, my bad. .zip files. There are problem with certain programs: iTunes, WinRar, Microsoft Office, but others run flawlessly.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 06:51:35 »
I really doubt this is a hardware issue.  It sounds like the hardware is working fine...  Unless maybe like a right mouse key was affected on the laptop or something like that.  A spill isn't going to change the way a program works, spills don't usually cause funny things to happen, they short/destroy components which totals the system.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 07:48:49 »
Quote from: patmosphere;218422
It boots fine. Internet works. And by extract I mean unzip, my bad. .zip files. There are problem with certain programs: iTunes, WinRar, Microsoft Office, but others run flawlessly.

You could try reinstalling Windows first...if u still experience these issues than I suspect your motherboard needs to be replaced. It's possible for a mobo to get partially damaged from a spill and cause weird things to happen in Windows.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 08:11:13 »
Step 1 - Run a disk check utility.  Verify before you go further if the entire disk is good.  In windows you can run scandisk or chkdisk depending on your version.  If it finds errors, that's ok, let it correct them and run the utility again - if it comes up clean then you're in business.  If not, you at least need a drive replacement.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline patmosphere

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 10:44:18 »
Quote from: didjamatic;218489
Step 1 - Run a disk check utility.  Verify before you go further if the entire disk is good.  In windows you can run scandisk or chkdisk depending on your version.  If it finds errors, that's ok, let it correct them and run the utility again - if it comes up clean then you're in business.  If not, you at least need a drive replacement.

didjamatic, could you inform further into the process of just exactly how to run a disc check utility? Sorry I'm not the well-versed with computers, but it looks like I've come to the right place.

And to the other two posts, your suggestions sound like I may not have a hardware problem and that would be greatass news, excuse me. And if it comes to re-installing Windows, I do not have the CD, so direction may be needed as to that procedure, as well ha.