Author Topic: [IC] Irene Linear Switch | Specs and GB Dates Finalized (03/16/22)  (Read 10331 times)

Offline Malvix Studio

• Malvix Studio
[IC] Irene Linear Switch | Specs and GB Dates Finalized (03/16/22)
« on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 05:03:34 »

IC FORM: https://forms.gle/1eNHADLAsUWa5kFU8

Hey friends,

Most switches on the market use a polycarbonate top and nylon bottom, but my preference still lies with nylon top housings, along with slow springs. I find that the nylon top housings, while slightly more expensive, give a deeper sound with more nuances when compared to the nylon/pc combo. Some examples of this include Cherry, FFFFs, Lavenders, and pretty much any Durock/JWK/Gateron bottom with a frankenswitched cherry top.

This is my take on a configuration that I'd want to use every day. The goal is to require as little mods as possible. Besides, doesn't hurt to have some pretty colors1 :)

Not going to write a whole marketing speech about how this switch literally saves lives. Linear switch. Nylon housings. POM stem. Nice colors1. Nice sound. Please fill out the IC form above. See below for full specs.

Specs:

Irene Linears

• Linear switch
• High Polymer Nylon Top Housing
• Polished Ink-Based Opaque Bottom Housing
• Polished Pro series POM Stem
• Linear | 4 mm travel
• Gateron Yellow Spring
• 50g actuation | 63.5 g bottom out
• 5-pin PCB mount
• Manufacturer: Gateron
• Price: Depends on region, roughly $0.79+ USD/switch

Vendors
NA: Malvix Studio
Asia: iLumKB
UK: Prototypist
EU: Eloquent Clicks
OCE: SwitchKeys (Pending)

Discord for latest updates the moment I get them: https://discord.gg/64rZMEB
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/malvixstudio/

1 colours, for my non American friends out there

Updates:
- GB goes live March 17, 2022, and will remain open for 1 month (until April 17, 2022)

- Hey all! Lots of changes recently. After a round of samples, we decided to switch to Gateron for the manufacturer due to a few reasons. First, to have access to the Gateron Yellow spring, which is still one of the community's all time favourite spring offerings. Second, Gateron offered significantly better top/bottom housing tolerances, which all but eliminates the need for filming (you can still film for acoustic preference if you so choose). Third, Gateron's offers a sound profile that is more inline with what I intended this switch to be: a modern take with classic inspiration. The sound was less plasticky compared to JWK, more full, but still had a distinct nylon top sound. Finally, in terms of smoothness, JWK no longer has the absolute upper hand. Comparing these switches side by side, it is not immediately clear what the smoother stock switch is, and with Gateron's more robust logistics network and experience in handling large scale productions, we made the decision to switch. Specs and information have been updated on this first post to reflect these changes.

- Production to fulfillment time is estimated at roughly 6 months, with chance of early fulfillment depending on the pandemic situation in China (various regions are once again under lockdown. We hope our friends in China stay safe as we all get through yet another wave of this dreadful disease).
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2022, 02:19:05 by Malvix Studio »

Offline Cloods

Re: [IC] Irene Linear Switch
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 05:04:31 »
Poggers

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 06:26:29 »
Long spring lavenders are nice.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline Senbeii

• Swiggity Swag Whats In Da Bag
    • Keyoto
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 08:46:54 »
Fully nylon and slow springs? Those are my fave combos too! Looking forward to these switches  :thumb:

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 16:10:20 »
63.5 slow springs? I am sold.

+1 for cute colors too

Offline 0xtanja

• need 1.5u supers
    • linktr.ee/tanjarinne
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 01:22:35 »
Interest checked!

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 02:05:09 »
where did you get the name irene from?

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 07:25:35 »
Why not just spring swap some Hyperglides? (and oc film while your at it)

Offline kchlam

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 13:21:16 »
that's hot
+1

Offline Malvix Studio

• Malvix Studio
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 18:27:01 »
Why not just spring swap some Hyperglides? (and oc film while your at it)

While I love my cherry switches, unfortunately vintage hunting is a massive pain, and hyperglides are not nearly as smooth, until sufficiently broken in. They're also a different color entirely.

where did you get the name irene from?

When I designed the switch, I simply wanted to incorporate some of my favorite colors. A friend suggested Irene, and it certainly seems like a fitting name. Call it a happy coincidence :)

that's hot
+1

Just like you :flushed:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 November 2021, 18:31:46 by Malvix Studio »

Offline chaoticgood

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 20:48:27 »
nut

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 09:06:33 »
When I designed the switch, I simply wanted to incorporate some of my favorite colors. A friend suggested Irene, and it certainly seems like a fitting name. Call it a happy coincidence :)

fair enuf, glwic  :thumb:

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 16:05:02 »
Yes

Offline LovelyUncle

• Vanmech
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 15:56:01 »
In for this  :thumb:

Offline olihaimar

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 15:57:02 »
Super excited for this!

Offline Quotes

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 14:50:26 »
Yes, please!

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 15:46:33 »
63.5 slow springs? I am sold.

+1 for cute colors too

Yeah great combo for sure.  I love the purple.

Offline Malvix Studio

• Malvix Studio
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 01:58:12 »
Thanks for all the interest shown so far, samples for switches and stabilizers have been ordered. Final details coming soon :)

Offline norm

• My kingdom for convex blanks
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 03:08:35 »
Flowers by Irene?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 03:32:57 »
Will these get polished rails like FFFF ? (if so, are they just FFFF in a different colour ?) - also factory lube ?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 22:44:37 »
What is advantage of buying this over nylon JWICK switch or smooth Gats?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Malvix Studio

• Malvix Studio
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 04:42:51 »
Will these get polished rails like FFFF ? (if so, are they just FFFF in a different colour ?) - also factory lube ?

Polished rails and factory lube, yes. Molds and processes are constantly being refined, so I can't comment on comparisons, but I have a batch of FFFFs that I can compare to once I receive the samples.

What is advantage of buying this over nylon JWICK switch or smooth Gats?

The jwick blacks I've tried have been a little all over the place, some are pretty smooth, some are about ink level, some are worse. I'm guessing that they're probably retooling less often for those to push the price down, in addition to not doing custom colours. Keep in mind that it is also a different nylon composition compared to the high polymer nylon that Irene switches will be using. Gats have a different sound profile altogether. Those are both really good options if you are looking for really good value! This switch is for people who, similar to myself, specifically like medium-light slow springs, and full nylon housings.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 November 2021, 22:11:59 by Malvix Studio »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 12:58:48 »
(...) I have a batch of FFFFs that I can compare to once I receive the samples.
Thanks ! Looking forward to that comparison.

Offline Malvix Studio

• Malvix Studio
Re: [IC] Irene Linear Switch | Specs and GB Dates Finalized (03/16/22)
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 02:03:09 »
Hey all! Lots of changes recently. After a round of samples, we decided to switch to Gateron for the manufacturer due to a few reasons. First, to have access to the Gateron Yellow spring, which is still one of the community's all time favourite spring offerings. Second, Gateron offered significantly better top/bottom housing tolerances, which all but eliminates the need for filming (you can still film for acoustic preference if you so choose). Third, Gateron's offers a sound profile that is more inline with what I intended this switch to be: a modern take with classic inspiration. Early samples show that the sound was less plasticky compared to JWK, more full, but still had a distinct nylon top sound. Finally, in terms of smoothness, JWK no longer has the absolute upper hand. They've been killing it recently, ever since trying the CJs, I really believe that Gateron is now back and at the top of their game. Comparing these switches side by side, it is not immediately clear what the smoother stock switch is, and with Gateron's more robust logistics network and experience in handling large scale productions, we made the decision to switch. Specs and information have been updated on the first post to reflect these changes.

With all that out of the way, GB dates have been set in NA to begin on March 17, on Malvix Studio. Other regional vendors will follow suit, and purchase links will be available shortly. Production to fulfillment time is estimated at roughly 6 months, with chance of early fulfillment depending on the pandemic situation in China (various regions are once again under lockdown. We hope our friends in China stay safe as we all get through yet another wave of this dreadful disease).
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2022, 03:40:01 by Malvix Studio »

Offline Malvix Studio

• Malvix Studio
Re: [IC] Irene Linear Switch | Specs and GB Dates Finalized (03/16/22)
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 02:04:53 »
If there are any details that I have not addressed, please ask below! Hoping to make this a swift GB experience, and we'll need everyone's support to make it happen. Typing test will be posted once we receive final production samples from Gateron. By then, we should have enough to send some to various keyboard streamers/builders. Cheers~
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2022, 02:21:08 by Malvix Studio »