geekhack Community > Keyboards

What switches did NeXT use in its keyboards?

(1/4) > >>

davo:
Greetings!  This is my first post.  I've been looking for clicky keyboards, and I've enjoyed reading the posts here.

My favorite keyboard is the original (non-ADB) NeXT keyboard -- the one that came with my old NeXTstation computer.  Can anyone tell me what keyswitches NeXT used?  A recent YouTube video of Das Keyboard reminded me of the sound of my old NeXT keyboard, so I was wondering if NeXT might have used Cherry blue switches?

--David

iMav:
The NeXTstation keyboard actually had buckling springs.

Jaydoublem:
AFAIK there used to be a NeXT Keyboard that was almost identical to the Apple Extended Keyboard 2, but that one used ADB. So that is a different model form yours. Based on that information, however I believe that NeXT used ALPS switches a lot.

iMav:
The pre-ADB NeXTstation keyboards were 85-key, full stroke buckling springs.  See these links for a bit of confirmation:

Wikipedia link
Random blog link
Wapedia link
TripAtlas link

davo:

--- Quote from: iMav;5241 ---The pre-ADB NeXTstation keyboards were 85-key, full stroke buckling springs.  See these links for a bit of confirmation:

Wikipedia link
Random blog link
Wapedia link
TripAtlas link
--- End quote ---

iMav!  Thank you.

I almost can't believe it.  The old NeXT keyboard just seemed better built and quieter than I remember my old AT keyboard being.  But all four of those links use the identical phrase "Full-stroke buckling spring, 85 keys."  What does full-stroke mean in this sense?  Is there a half-stroke buckling-spring?

I was going to pull a keycap to check, but chickened out because the keys fit too close for me to use my keycap-puller (provided with my Deck keyboard).  The NeXT keyboard goes to a Cube with Pyro CPU accelerator and NeXTDimension board, and it's something of a collector's item.

Hmmm.  I'm thinking of the new Mighty Mouse 'board from Unicomp, when it arrives, or possibly Das Keyboard III.  Do you think either of these would be similar to the old NeXT?  (I didn't like the "new" ADB NeXT much).

--David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version