geekhack Community > Keyboards

M13 - removable key caps?

(1/2) > >>

Waves77:
I've tried google without success. Can somebody tell me if the key caps on a M13 are removable?

I'd love to put the black caps on my industrial (grey) model M, so if they do and someone here's selling one let me know (PM)...

bhtooefr:
They are removable, but it's not as easy as on a board with two-piece caps.

meltie:
I always thought detachable caps means you can remove the caps with the lettering seperately from the keys themselves. Aren't the keys of a keyboard always detachable? IIRC the M13 has not detachable caps, but of course detachable keys. Or am I misunderstanding something of your anwer bhtooefr (am not native speaker)?

bhtooefr:
Actually, on some rubber dome keyboards, the keys aren't detachable. And, on scissor boards, it's usually EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to remove the keys without breaking them.

I really should be more careful with my wording, though... I'll try to standardize on this, in the future:

Cap = top part of a key, removable on many Model Ms separately from the rest of the key
Stem = bottom part of a key, engages the keyswitch, separate from the cap on many Model Ms
Key = cap and stem assembly

So, the Model M13 has removable keys, but they're one-piece.

Mikecase00:

--- Quote from: bhtooefr;5746 ---So, the Model M13 has removable keys, but they're one-piece.
--- End quote ---

That's exactly correct.  My primary board (my avatar) is an extra-clicky 1391401 which I have vinyl-dyed black and swapped in keys (as well as the black metal IBM logo and darker status light cover) from a black M13.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version