geekhack Community > Keyboards

Filco FKB 104m/EB arrived

(1/4) > >>

Waves77:
It's been a long day, so I'll keep it short, but my new Filco Majestouch just arrived today (shipping took only 2 days!).

I'll post a review an recording soon (we're in the middle of a move to a different apartment in town), but the initial reaction is very positive. At first I missed the clickyness of the buckling springs or the blue cherry keyswitches, but the tactile feedback on this board is very very nice. Just like the blue cherry switches, the brown switches have a soft feel to them (don't require a lot of strength to press down), without loosing proper tactile feedback (solid) and auditory feedback (sufficient enough to be heard, but soft enough to be used in an environment where other people might complain about a louder board).

Unrelated but interesting little fact, right now I have a model M plugged in through ps2, and the Filco through usb. When I press Cap Lock or Num Lock on one board, the led will turn off/on on both boards at the same time :D

It's been a joy typing this message on this new board :)

xsphat:
Nice, I hope you enjoy it. While the browns aren't my thing, they are nice and the 'board itself is really high quality.

And by the way, moving sucks, sorry man.

Waves77:

--- Quote from: xsphat;5777 ---Nice, I hope you enjoy it. While the browns aren't my thing, they are nice and the 'board itself is really high quality.
--- End quote ---

I can see why you really liked this one for a long (?) while though - this board seems really apt for writing prose for some reason, more than any other board I've tried...

--- Quote ---And by the way, moving sucks, sorry man.
--- End quote ---

It's a (slightly) bigger apartment in a nicer neighborhood, so it's not too bad :)

bhtooefr:
That's something interesting I found when I started using external keyboards on my iBook... on a PC, all keyboards share the same Caps Lock and Scroll Lock states.

(Of course, my ThinkPad has some trickery to somewhat link the Num Lock states without them being the same - turning Num Lock ON on the external keyboard does nothing to the internal's state, but turning it OFF on the external turns it off on the internal, too.)

On a Mac, they don't. (Of course, only internal keyboards have Num Lock states, and there are no Scroll Lock states, but... Caps Lock isn't shared.)

Another interesting difference between Macs and PCs in that respect... it doesn't affect me much when I'm on the EnduraPro, but it DOES affect me when I'm on something without an integrated pointing device... Often, I'll still have one hand on the keyboard, with one on the laptop's pointing device. So, I don't want to move that hand back to the keyboard for some quick shortcut, or move the other hand to the laptop... on a PC, the keyboards are seen as the same, and I can hold down a modifier key on the external keyboard, while hitting the modified key on the internal keyboard.

On a Mac, the keyboards are seen as completely independent, and modifier keys only work on THAT keyboard.

Waves77:

--- Quote from: bhtooefr;5789 ---That's something interesting I found when I started using external keyboards on my iBook... on a PC, all keyboards share the same Caps Lock and Scroll Lock states.
--- End quote ---

That's interesting, didn't know that. Would be an interesting solution if one needed multilingual keyboards :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version