geekhack Community > Reviews

Ducky DK9008 G2 Pro PBT Dyesub w/ Greens (UPDATED)

(1/7) > >>

nsrexler:
Just received this keyboard today, so I thought I'd do a quick write up of it.

Keyboard Body
There's not much I can say about the DK9008 body that hasn't already been said, so I'll keep this brief. This is a very solid board. There is no creak to it at all and it has a number of nice features. Overall it just feels like a very high quality product. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Switches
I really like the Greens so far, though they're not quite as heavy as I was expecting. Experience has taught me that first impressions can be misleading when it comes to switches, so I'll update this section of the review in a week or so when I've had more time to spend with the board.
Update: I really like the Green switches, but I'm still not sure if I like them better or worse than Clears. They feel nice but the clickiness is kind of annoying in a way that buckling springs aren't. I may end up removing the caps and just putting them on my Clear board, but we'll see.

Keycaps
The part everyone's been waiting for! I got the solid gray color scheme because that was the only one available with Greens. The gray is a little lighter than I was expecting, but it's a nice color scheme. The keycaps are very thick and have a nice solid feel to them. The surface is a little smoother than I'm used to with PBT, but it's not bad. The legends look great; they're very sharp and clear. There's a tiny bit of bleed on some of the legends, but it's barely noticeable.

(Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I don't have a real lighting setup right now.)

Lupizza:
Nice! I'm about to order one with green switches too. I bought one with what the store said was white switches but I believe it might have been clear ones so I returned it. It's a shame they don't offer these in tkl, though.

Jack Karneval:
Good overview man! MX Greens are my favorite switches so far, although the force they require does sometimes get me while I'm typing.

--- Quote from: Lupizza on Sat, 22 June 2013, 15:34:58 ---Nice! I'm about to order one with green switches too. I bought one with what the store said was white switches but I believe it might have been clear ones so I returned it. It's a shame they don't offer these in tkl, though.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, you gotta be careful depending on where you're ordering a board from. You'll sometimes hear MX White switches referred to as "Milky White" switches, whereas Clears used to be referred to as just "White" switches.

kenmai9:
What switches did you have before? I use blacks and they're awesome but I do miss that tactile feel. I have another board with browns and I can't go back to it.. its too mushy. So I was thinking of going green. Do you have any relevant experience?

nsrexler:

--- Quote from: kenmai9 on Sat, 22 June 2013, 16:05:39 ---What switches did you have before? I use blacks and they're awesome but I do miss that tactile feel. I have another board with browns and I can't go back to it.. its too mushy. So I was thinking of going green. Do you have any relevant experience?

--- End quote ---

I was using mostly Clears before, and buckling springs before that. So far it feels like Clears are more tactile and heavier than Greens, although Greens have a more precise tactile bump. Buckling springs are more tactile and precise than both, although of course they're much louder.
I have never used Blacks and I've only very briefly used Browns a while ago, so I can't really compare either of those.
I did use Blues for a while, but I gave them up because they were too light. These Greens feel extremely similar to Blues, but just heavier enough that they feel a lot more comfortable to use IMO.

Again, I've only just got the board today though - I'll have to see how I feel after typing on Greens for a little while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version