geekhack Community > Keyboards

Advice needed on a (mainly) gaming keyboard

(1/4) > >>

bleakill:
First of all I'm amazed at what a great forum you guys have and how much I have been missing before coming here. Right now I'm pretty much confused about the various types of switches and what's good for what. What I'm looking for is a keyboard that has the following:
- 86 key layout (no numpad, but otherwise similar layout to 10x-key boards)
- Will mostly be used for gaming (tactile response is very important, not sure how soft should it be :confused:).
- N-key rollover
I heard mechanical switches are best for gaming - Confirm/deny/it's all subjective?
Right now I'm looking at Majestouch Tenkeyless 86-key with brown Cherry switches. This is the layout I want but not sure whether it is a good fit for me from a gaming standpoint? I'm probably going to spend about $150 on that. Help me out here.

iMav:
Tactile, clicky mechanical switches are great for typing.  I've heard that hard-core gamers like something a bit less, uhhh, harsh.  Maybe the "Filco mini" you mentioned with the browns...I'm thinking that the 86-key Realforce with the Torpe switches might be a nice gaming keyboard.  I do some casual gaming with my HHKB Pro and the Torpe switches seem just right to me for gaming.

karlito:
i've been using the Filco tenkeyless (w/ browns) for some COD4 and mostly warcraft III (DotA) and I have no complaints w/ it.

I would really like to try the Topre 86u since it's keys require less force and the left alt key is further over but i cant afford that board right now and honestly the filco is near perfect IMO.  It could be weird for gaming since the keys have different resistances (35 or 45g).

Korbin:
I would say your 3 best options or the steelseries 7G (if you don't mind cherry blacks), filco mini and the topre 86. I have tried to game with cherry blues, the best way I describe using them is annoying when trying to game with them particularly when it come repeatedly hitting a key.

I have to totally agree with IMav, harsh clicks (mechanical tactile) rock for typing but not for gaming.

bleakill:
Thank you all for your advice. I'll probably settle for the Filco mini since Topre is way out of my league pricewise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version