Author Topic: [IC] 60% sized GHPad - PCB's, Plates, Cases (OP UPDATED)  (Read 21352 times)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
[IC] 60% sized GHPad - PCB's, Plates, Cases (OP UPDATED)
« on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:29:45 »
Please fill out the interest check form!
http://goo.gl/forms/JqY3XNhkg9

Okay so I've been doing some thinking about this the last few days and I think I have a way that we can make this work.

Plates - I've contacted some local laser cutters so I don't have to worry about shipping from BBS, still waiting back to hear from the place I've used previously but it looks like pricing could actually be pretty favourable (around $20USD per plate, 1.6mm SS). I sincerely appreciate all the work BBS is doing with GH but if I'm the one handling all the shipping it makes no sense ordering them from the US if I have to pay for shipping and wait the 3-4 weeks it will take them to arrive. Less chance for them to get bent or damaged too. Thanks to jdcarpe we have a design that supports standard layouts with 3 x 2u keys, these can also be swapped out for 1u keys. Stabs are Cherry PCB mount.

PCB's - Got thinking about this the other night and decided to do a mockup run on Circuithub so that I can offer a full GHPad kit with PCB. They offer complete pcb manufacture and soldering services and from what I can tell we can get pretty decent pricing for anything over 25 units. At that quantity we'd be getting the PCB's for about $40USD each. Free worldwide shipping too which will cut down on costs.

Cases - Same deal as before, going to source from i.materialise once I have a couple of test units made to check fit and finish. These will be optional as the price breaks are minimal over 5 units (about $22USD each) and they include free shipping on orders over 99EUR.

So basically IF we can get enough people on board for PCB's we should be good to go, the only thing you'll need to do is solder in switches and install stabs. I can probably help by buying some extra PCB's if we get close to 25 units but I just can't afford to shoulder the cost of a full run right now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:09:23 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] GHPad 5x4 Stainless Steel Plates
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:31:53 »
Please note that is a ROUGH plate design that I did in 5 minutes, that is why it is missing the holes for securing it to the case. This will be fixed before the final revision.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:35:21 »
Why not a simpler cutout?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:37:19 »

I prefer plates with the complex cutout as it allows switch top removal - much easier to lube and change stems, springs etc.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:47:40 »
Here is what I have in store for the 3D printed cases as well, they will be printed in black matte finish and then polished at the printers to remove any minor imperfections. Rough pricing at the moment is about 20EUR per case + shipping.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:47:43 »
I'd be interested in 2 plates, if I could buy 2 cases and 2 PCBs from you as well.

Doesn't really make sense, if I had to pay for international shipping for these items seperately...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] GHPad 5x4 Stainless Steel Plates (cases soon�)
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:51:31 »
I'd be interested in 2 plates, if I could buy 2 cases and 2 PCBs from you as well.

Doesn't really make sense, if I had to pay for international shipping for these items seperately...

OP Updated - check it out!
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:10:14 by bueller »

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] GHPad 5x4 Stainless Steel Plates + Cases
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 13:24:38 »
Do we gain any advantage if we bundle plates together?
I'd like a 5x4 with all one unit cutouts.
I guess it would be cheaper to do it as a one off with bigbluesaw. 

Interested in 2 cases though. 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 14:52:24 »

I prefer plates with the complex cutout as it allows switch top removal - much easier to lube and change stems, springs etc.
The alps + MX compatible switch opening should be cheaper to produce and will still allow for the switches to be opened once soldered.

Offline phishy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 15:53:25 »

I'm planning on doing a run of 5X4 one unit plates at some point in the very near future maybe we can link up.  For 10 dollars more than the price of one, we can get 5 plates.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 17:03:00 »

I'm planning on doing a run of 5X4 one unit plates at some point in the very near future maybe we can link up.  For 10 dollars more than the price of one, we can get 5 plates.

Great, let me know. 

Offline Data

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:43:24 »
This seems cool.  I'm interested for a set.  Need to research compatible PCBs.

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 00:26:32 »
Has there ever been Aluminum or Stainless cases?
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:38:04 »
Has there ever been Aluminum or Stainless cases?
Abostudio did a 6x4 case but to the best of my knowledge there's never even a 5x4 one.  I want to do one cnc'ed out of alu but I'll see how the fit on a 3d printed one goes first.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 05:05:07 »

The alps + MX compatible switch opening should be cheaper to produce and will still allow for the switches to be opened once soldered.

Are there any other advantages to using the simpler cutout? Just did a quote and the price surprisingly only changed by about 80c per plate so I think I might stick with the more complex layout for more stability unless I'm missing something.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 05:24:19 »

Are there any other advantages to using the simpler cutout? Just did a quote and the price surprisingly only changed by about 80c per plate so I think I might stick with the more complex layout for more stability unless I'm missing something.

Generally less complex layouts have less stability. I thought the price difference would be more though. NB. From experience, swill's cutout no. 2 is rock solid.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:45:12 »

Maybe contact Simon at BBS and see if that quote is accurate for the two types of cutout. He agreed that the cutout that you are using would be more expensive to produce.   I would approach it like this: send your current plate and the one with the other cutout and ask "how much cheaper will this second plate be?". I suspect it will be more than an 80 cent difference.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 18:39:03 »
I had a look on Taobao and found one listing for the ghpad pcb. It seemed to be used? I'm not familiar with the site though, so I could be mistaken. Does anyone have any links to compatible pcbs?

Edit: The pcb I found wasn't even the right size.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 03:05:42 by stoic-lemon »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] 60% sized GHPad - PCB's, Plates, Cases
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:14:25 »
Okay so I've been doing some thinking about this the last few days and I think I have a way that we can make this work.

Plates - I've contacted some local laser cutters so I don't have to worry about shipping from BBS, still waiting back to hear from the place I've used previously but it looks like pricing could actually be pretty favourable (around $20USD per plate, complex cutouts, 1.6mm SS). I sincerely appreciate all the work BBS is doing with GH but if I'm the one handling all the shipping it makes no sense ordering them from the US if I have to pay for shipping and wait the 3-4 weeks it will take them to arrive. Less chance for them to get bent or damaged too.

PCB's - Got thinking about this the other night and decided to do a mockup run on Circuithub so that I can offer a full GHPad kit with PCB. They offer complete pcb manufacture and soldering services and from what I can tell we can get pretty decent pricing for anything over 25 units. At that quantity we'd be getting the PCB's for about $40USD each. Free worldwide shipping too which will cut down on costs.

Cases - Same deal as before, going to source from i.materialise once I have a couple of test units made to check fit and finish. These will be optional as the price breaks are minimal over 5 units (about $22USD each) and they include free shipping on orders over 99EUR.

So basically IF we can get enough people on board for PCB's we should be good to go, the only thing you'll need to do is solder in switches and install stabs. I can probably help by buying some extra PCB's if we get close to 25 units but I just can't afford to shoulder the cost of a full run right now.

Really need to see some numbers for interested parties, how many kits you would buy etc so I'll do up a Google poll and post it shortly.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] 60% sized GHPad - PCB's, Plates, Cases (OP UPDATED)
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:31:51 »
OP updated and here is the link to the Google form for gauging numbers.

http://goo.gl/forms/JqY3XNhkg9

Offline dimmu

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:48:45 »
question: does this include the copy/paste function from real force numpads?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:53:12 »

The GHPad is fully programmable :)

Offline dimmu

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:58:15 »

The GHPad is fully programmable :)

awesome. thanks.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:24:28 »
I'm interested in a full kit with one plate, pcb, and case.

I think for plate options, I would prefer the option of having either a standard numpad layout, or swapping the 2x keys for 1x so I could have a full matrix.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:38:08 »

I think for plate options, I would prefer the option of having either a standard numpad layout, or swapping the 2x keys for 1x so I could have a full matrix.

If you guys are willing to sacrifice plate mount stabs (so no Cherry plate or Costar), I can design a "universal" plate for you, that will have openings for the Cherry PCB mount stabs, and support full 1u keys throughout, as well as the standard 2u keys in the normal layout. But that's a compromise you will have to decide on as to whether the trade-off is worth the gain.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:52:55 »
I'm for a full matrix of 1u. 

Offline Data

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:45:41 »
I'd rather have what's pictured in the OP and retain the stab options, but I'm interested in whatever the group decides.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 16:11:28 »
Call me crazy but this is 20 switches max - would it not be significantly cheaper to add a Teensy (or equivalent) space molded in the bottom of the case and hand wire the matrix? It doesn't get any easier than a small grid...

I've not seen much about the GHPad PCB so feel free to sell it to me if I'm missing something :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 19:41:08 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 17:09:17 »

If you guys are willing to sacrifice plate mount stabs (so no Cherry plate or Costar), I can design a "universal" plate for you, that will have openings for the Cherry PCB mount stabs, and support full 1u keys throughout, as well as the standard 2u keys in the normal layout. But that's a compromise you will have to decide on as to whether the trade-off is worth the gain.

I would prefer the universal plate. Cherry PCB mount stabs also seem a little easier to purchase as well.

I'm still interested no matter what the group goes with though.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 17:27:34 »
Sounds like a fun little project, down for a full kit.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 20:13:36 »

Universal plate sounds great JD!

Call me crazy but this is 20 switches max - would it not be significantly cheaper to add a Teensy (or equivalent) space molded in the bottom of the case and hand wire the matrix? It doesn't get any easier than a small grid...

I've not seen much about the GHPad PCB so feel free to sell it to me if I'm missing something :)

Having done hand-wired boards before I really don't want to go down that road again, much prefer PCB's for ease of soldering and longevity of the board. It's also a cost thing - a Teensy alone is going to come to close to $20 with shipping, we might as well spend the extra money and save everyone the time hand wiring.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 21:35:01 by bueller »

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:14:48 »
Is there a source for Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:22:41 »
Is there a source for Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers?
Nah sorry mate, I figured people could pick those up with their switches. Just trying to keep the complexity of this to a minimum.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:32:40 »
The nice thing about using a PCB mount capable PCB, and/or a universal plate is that you can build it with all 1u keys temporarily, while you wait on stabilizers. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:40:32 »
The nice thing about using a PCB mount capable PCB, and/or a universal plate is that you can build it with all 1u keys temporarily, while you wait on stabilizers. :)

A universal plate would be really helpful - if we can get universal slots on the 2u keys with Cherry and Co-star compatibility that will really simplify ordering and hopefully bring some extra people on board.

EDIT: If you can help me out with that I'll sort you out with a kit for free as thanks :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:42:39 by bueller »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:53:36 »

A universal plate would be really helpful - if we can get universal slots on the 2u keys with Cherry and Co-star compatibility that will really simplify ordering and hopefully bring some extra people on board.

EDIT: If you can help me out with that I'll sort you out with a kit for free as thanks :)
I'll send you a couple plate drawings tomorrow. :)

Well, it's already tomorrow where you are, but you know what I mean.

in memoriam

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 00:01:23 »

I'll send you a couple plate drawings tomorrow. :)

Well, it's already tomorrow where you are, but you know what I mean.

Haha no worries mate :P

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 06:53:07 »
Only got 6 responses on the Google form, check OP if you haven't already filled it out.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 06:58:59 »
I'm interested in a PCB but can't say I'm interested in buying a case since I don't really know what the quality will be like. The form won't let me only choose a PCB.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:22:37 »
I'm interested in a PCB but can't say I'm interested in buying a case since I don't really know what the quality will be like. The form won't let me only choose a PCB.
Just pop it down as a pcb and plate, I'll offer just a pcb option when it comes to GB time.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 18:52:06 »
Numbers are really coming together! Got 17 people down for a PCB + plate and 14 down for cases.

Going to order a couple of cases to test fit and finish this week and hopefully they should arrive within about 3 weeks. JD has already done up a universal plate for us as well so I'm going to pre-order some plates next week after payday.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:40:58 »
Just ordered a couple of cases from the 3D printers in Belgium, should be here in 2-3 weeks! Should have the plates done by then as well so I'll be able to test fit and finish real soon  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:43:49 by bueller »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:23:58 »
Awesome! That plate looks perfect

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:27:35 »

in memoriam

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 09:48:03 »
Form filled. Interested in pcb+plate, not in the case. I'd take more than one pcb but the price is a little too high for now.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:17:42 »
Numbers look good so far, I don't think we'll have too much trouble hitting the 25 MOQ. Might have to order a few extra to hit it but I was going to buy a few for late-comers anyway.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:25:09 »
I just filled out the form! I am on the fence about the case - I may want to make my own, but I put myself down for 1. I will decide when the time comes. I'm in for at least 1 PCB + Plate though. Very excited!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Hzza

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:28:40 »
I can't fill out the form just yet, but I'm interested in a plate/case/PCB for sure. I'll try to remember to fill the form out when I get back from work tonight.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 10:29:59 »
I just filled out the form! I am on the fence about the case - I may want to make my own, but I put myself down for 1. I will decide when the time comes. I'm in for at least 1 PCB + Plate though. Very excited!

My sample cases actually started production a couple of days ago, should have them within a fortnight so I'll post some pics when they arrive. Looking at the sample photos I'm fairly confident they should look quite nice, only thing I might need to change is the standoffs for the PCB.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 11:29:49 »
Put in my interest for a complete kit, but just wondering would it not be best to add a geekhack username box so that not just everyone can fill it out? :x

My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More