Author Topic: [IC] Westinghouse-Inspired SA set  (Read 3773 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
[IC] Westinghouse-Inspired SA set
« on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:55:06 »
Back with another keycap interest check, now for a set inspired by the old westinghouse terminal boards. The boards look like this:

In terms of a keyset, my initial thinking looks something like this, but I would love to hear input.

This is SP ABS WA on GTG for the alphas, WA on VV for the green mods, and WA on RR for the red mods. The planned profile is SA, because that is most true to the original caps.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Niomosy

Re: [IC] Westinghouse-Inspired SA set
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 17:56:14 »
Has a Christmasy feel to it.  Love the red/green.  Burned out on grey but I can see others enjoying it.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 18:09:52 »
What about Green Alphas/Grey Mods/Red Enter & etc?

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:29:02 »
Reminds me of Chriistmas..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:42:59 »
Another SA set? I wonder if there is still room for all of them. With SP injection molds and machines full of production back log I wonder if GB's participants would wait for months, or even years to get their key caps.

:))

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:57:15 »
Another SA set? I wonder if there is still room for all of them. With SP injection molds and machines full of production back log I wonder if GB's participants would wait for months, or even years to get their key caps.

I actually agree with this. I totally think there's too many SA sets, I just can't think of another option for this set. I would love to have it as GMK, but there's no way there would be enough interest to make MOQ.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:34:35 »
RR is discontinued. Use RA if you want the "reddest" red.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:22:40 »

I actually agree with this. I totally think there's too many SA sets, I just can't think of another option for this set. I would love to have it as GMK, but there's no way there would be enough interest to make MOQ.

The current MD's SA set on offer is scheduled to be shipped on March 2016, knowing their lack of sensibility for proper logistics planning it may mean May 2016, when the other 6 upcoming sets may be accommodated? 2017? This is just insane.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:34:01 »
Other than the green, this would end up being fairly similar to Round 5a (and for that matter round 5) white on grey and white on red. I think it could be a good looking set, but it might need something to differentiate itself further.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:35:34 »
The current MD's SA set on offer is scheduled to be shipped on March 2016, knowing their lack of sensibility for proper logistics planning it may mean May 2016, when the other 6 upcoming sets may be accommodated? 2017? This is just insane.

Again, I agree! But what else should the set be in? I personally just really don't want DSA, and I'm not sure the demand is there anymore for a DCS set, would anyone buy one? The only other option is fine-tuning the design a TON in hopes of making a GMK set, then probably ending up disappointed when it doesn't make MOQ. If you have any suggestions as someone more experienced though, I would really love to hear them. This has been a source of major conflict for me, as you may be able to tell.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline techmattr

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 11:55:42 »
The original inspirational set is tall spherical so it doesn't make sense for this set to not be SA. Just move forward with SA. It may take longer but overall you'll be more happy with it and it'll be more popular.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:32:16 »
The original inspirational set is tall spherical so it doesn't make sense for this set to not be SA. Just move forward with SA. It may take longer but overall you'll be more happy with it and it'll be more popular.

Yeah, maybe I'll wait until the popularity of SA dies down a bit (I suspect it will), even if that means sacrificing some customers who would have bought just because it's SA.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:34:25 »
Other than the green, this would end up being fairly similar to Round 5a (and for that matter round 5) white on grey and white on red. I think it could be a good looking set, but it might need something to differentiate itself further.

Came here to say this. R5/5a covered a lot of this set. It fits the festivities of the season color wise, but because it won't get made anytime soon that kind of defeats its benefit.  There are a lot more developed sets in cue for SA right now I'm not sure where this would fit. Developing it further would help for sure
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:35:23 »

Came here to say this. R5/5a covered a lot of this set. It fits the festivities of the season color wise, but because it won't get made anytime soon that kind of defeats its benefit.  There are a lot more developed sets in cue for SA right now I'm not sure where this would fit. Developing it further would help for sure

Given development time and SA lead times, it would potentially line up well for Christmas 2016 ;)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:38:01 »

Given development time and SA lead times, it would potentially line up well for Christmas 2016 ;)

hahahaha so tue  :p
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:41:17 »

Yeah I was under no illusion that this would somehow be done this christmas.

Developing it further would help for sure

Yeah, it seems like at least one or two people like the color scheme, so I think I'll go a little further with the design. I'm thinking the best bet is maybe more color options, because, as you said, this is pretty generic R5 stuff. This isn't the absolute top of my priorities, but I'll try and mess around with some options in the next week. If anyone has specific suggestions, please let me know!

demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.