Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310147 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 17:51:44 »
That's all fine and dandy but where's the topre keyng :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 17:51:50 »

I believe you mentioned earlier that this setup would not necessitate a pressure/vacuum setup, correct? (I do understand that technically any mold can be cast without the aid of a pressure pot, but the comment in question seemed to imply that there would be minimal process hangups to overcome even if pressure was not used)  If so, was the example cap in the video cast under pressure or not?  Just curious.  :) 

Great work, Binge, and informative video as always.

I can't cast without pressure.  My plastics would foam, but a lot of plastics are great for gravity casting.

So to answer the question...

A) Yes this mold would make a relatively void free casting via standard gravity if you were to account for standard hangups that happens during gravity casting.  The large reservoirs made by the oversized gates/runners/sprues/vents are something that is hard to achieve properly with a flexible mold.  Booper is about the only flexible mold I've seen that has proper sized gates/runners/sprues/vents for gravity casting.

B) No my example key is pressure cast because at this point the plastics I use will not set correctly outside of pressure/vacuum systems.

Perfect, thanks Binge.  :thumb:  Unfortunately it is so dependent on the thermoset used (something I overlooked while asking my question, doh!), but your answer covers all the bases well and helps me understand the intent/design.  :)

Offline joey

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 17:53:47 »
Looks so awesome!

edit: note to self:

smooth on 320

innovative polymers 3070/3071
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:15:44 by joey »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:04:18 »

Soon^tm
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:09:50 »
That is really cool Binge, what a great tool. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:15:35 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:40:37 »
What type of aluminum is this?

Would this theoretically be able to be used with cast metal such as tin or zinc if the correct type of silicone is used?

One of my classes last semester was Synthesis and Processing of Materials and a large chunk dealt with casting of plastics and metals.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:45:24 »
Oh boy! Can't wait to see what more people churn out.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 22:06:28 »

Soon^tm

............plz has my soul.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:31:11 »
This is huge, Binge flipping the keycap game on it's head!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:04:59 »
thanks for the small video Binge! it's really nice to see how it should be used. Now I just need to find out where to get silicon and resin...
(and get some of my old lego from my parents place :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 03:01:26 »
This looks like something even Rowdy could almost use!

Good job guys :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 12:24:51 »
That looks so easy!  I think I have something to go on my birthday list for a change, hopefully it'll be available by mid April?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mrgoldenzombie

• Topre is cool I guess....
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:46:21 »
Are you planning to mass produce this or make some here and their?
O-Ringed Black RealForce 87u  | O-Ringed Novatouch with Miami PBT

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:08:39 »
I'm assuming its "mass" produced since the whole point of the project is to get the mold in new people's hands, and is a collaboration with a reputable web shop.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:21:03 »

This is intended to be made to demand and if that demand is massive expect mass production.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mrgoldenzombie

• Topre is cool I guess....
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:47:09 »

This is intended to be made to demand and if that demand is massive expect mass production.
Well ****...Sign me up!!! I'll be following this thread for more updates :3
O-Ringed Black RealForce 87u  | O-Ringed Novatouch with Miami PBT

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:05:42 »
Awesome stuff, Binge, et. al.

Giving us one hell of a fishing pole.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
:~$ynth
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:38:49 »
Very very cool stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on this
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:46:29 by Dodgy »
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 20:09:06 »

After that video, one can only assume demand will be massive. I was interested before, but now I know this is a must buy. I had been talking with a buddy about wanting to make blanks for myself to match my stuff, and that looks like a reality now.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 21:02:58 »
Big stuff from a big boy. So big.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline 3K

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:44:54 »
Big stuff from a big boy. So big.
For you.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline terminallytrill

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 19:23:56 »
Wow, this is amazing. I really want this.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:06:43 »
Can you make a tool to help me win a Keythulhu during the next sale?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Pdub

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:46:20 »
Very interesting!

Offline Pdub

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:46:49 »

Can you make a tool to help me win a Keythulhu during the next sale?
Yes. Can we have one of those tools?

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 21:11:40 »
Oh wow oh wow! I can't wait to use this!!!!!! HWS killing it already in 2016!!!

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 13:10:30 »
< START.Update3 >

Apply directly to $ynth!  The commercial is terrible but this product is amazing.

In earlier posts I mentioned that I would be sculpting my new HWS keycap.  In the picture above I'm laying some foundation work which will be more obvious in the future, but for now just know that sculpting directly onto the $ynth is EZ-PZ.  Brush on a very light coating of olive/vegetable oil if you are using epoxy, but something like Sculpy would not require any sort of release agent to protect the teflon coating of the mold part.

< END.Update3 >
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 13:41:09 by Binge »

Offline DaveW

• zer0knowledge
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 13:30:25 »
< START.Update3 >

Apply directly to $ynth!  The commercial is terrible but this product is amazing.

Show Image

In earlier posts I mentioned that I would be sculpting my new HWS keycap.  In the picture above I'm laying some foundation work which will be more obvious in the future, but for now just know that sculpting directly onto the $ynth is EZ-PZ.  Brush on a very light coating of olive/vegetable oil if you are using epoxy, but something like Sculpy would not require any sort of release agent to protect the teflon coating of the mold part.

< END.Update3 >

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 13:41:24 by Binge »

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:21:59 »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 08:38:36 »
No previous experience with sculpting a keycap, but this could help a lot of people to create their own artisans easily!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:54:37 »
< START.Update 4 >

A strong foundation is the key to a successful project.

I hope these pictures capture enough of what is happening to better explain myself because at times like this when I am most focused on the project my words are at best messy.  Below each picture the text will explain my intentions and observations.

The epoxy I have used has set and was easily removed from the mold without damage to the :~$ynth.  A few choice dimensions of the mold were captured in the epoxy most importantly the perimeter limit and gates.  The perimeter of the platform built into the :~$ynth is measured to best represent the dimensions of 1x keycaps.  So long as no detail of the sculpted keycap escapes this perimeter it will not have friction problems with keyboard cases and surrounding keycaps.  The gates are important for details later to come in my demonstration, but remember that it is very important that they are captured by the epoxy.

Please be aware that this part is not finished.  At some point I will have to add extra epoxy to it.  Two factors have made that difficult.  The first factor is that epoxy, if left alone, will dry with an almost glassy finish, and the second is the residual oil left on the epoxy part.  I have already washed the part with soap and water, but we need to use an old fashioned clay working technique to truly have a finished foundation piece.

After lightly applying some coarse sandpaper (250 grit) the surface of the part will better accept new epoxy applied to its surface.  Do not worry about how this looks because additional finishing work will be done later.  This is meant to be a foundation piece in the project and does not need to be pretty as much as it needs to capture the perimeter and gates of the mold.

Before continuing I apply a new layer of oil to the mold as it was removed by the first application of epoxy to the mold.  Protecting the :~$ynth is important to its longevity in this project.  Always remember release agent with your good tools.

< END.Update 4 >

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:55:36 »
< START.Update 4 >

I hope these pictures capture enough of what is happening to better explain myself because at times like this when I am most focused on the project my words are at best messy.  Below each picture the text will explain my intentions and observations.

Show Image

The epoxy I have used has set and was easily removed from the mold without damage to the :~$ynth.  A few choice dimensions of the mold were captured in the epoxy most importantly the perimeter limit and gates.  The perimeter of the platform built into the :~$ynth is measured to best represent the dimensions of 1x keycaps.  So long as no detail of the sculpted keycap escapes this perimeter it will not have friction problems with keyboard cases and surrounding keycaps.  The gates are important for details later to come in my demonstration, but remember that it is very important that they are captured by the epoxy.

Show Image

Please be aware that this part is not finished.  At some point I will have to add extra epoxy to it.  Two factors have made that difficult.  The first factor is that epoxy, if left alone, will dry with an almost glassy finish, and the second is the residual oil left on the epoxy part.  I have already washed the part with soap and water, but we need to use an old fashioned clay working technique to truly have a finished foundation piece.

Show Image

After lightly applying some coarse sandpaper (250 grit) the surface of the part will better accept new epoxy applied to its surface.  Do not worry about how this looks because additional finishing work will be done later.  This is meant to be a foundation piece in the project and does not need to be pretty as much as it needs to capture the perimeter and gates of the mold.

Show Image

Before continuing I apply a new layer of oil to the mold as it was removed by the first application of epoxy to the mold.  Protecting the :~$ynth is important to its longevity in this project.  Always remember release agent with your good tools.

< END.Update 4 >

Looks good, nice to see the progress.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:59:30 »
< START.Update 4 >

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 4 >

More progress! Loving it!

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 14:40:22 »
Love seeing the process of using the :~$ynth for custom caps. I'll probably use it for blanks only, but maybe I'll try to get creative at some point in time.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 14:44:12 »
Love seeing the process of using the :~$ynth for custom caps. I'll probably use it for blanks only, but maybe I'll try to get creative at some point in time.

Yeah I want to do custom color blanks, I would love Topre support. I'm interested in making some custom scoops without bars too. :)

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 14:46:04 »

Yeah I want to do custom color blanks, I would love Topre support. I'm interested in making some custom scoops without bars too. :)

I wish it had Topre support as well. Hopefully at some point down the road it can be added.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:10:22 »
We haven't made topre keys with it yet, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.  Don't forget that MX-topre sliders are going to be more available in the future.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:11:29 »
We haven't made topre keys with it yet, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.  Don't forget that MX-topre sliders are going to be more available in the future.

Then not all hope is lost. :P

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:10:01 »
Let's play spot the ancestry...

Source: Keycon 2015 Instagram

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:26:22 »
Now I definitely want a ~$ynth, where do I sign up?

Offline dohbot

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:26:46 »

Show Image

Oh my goodness spacebear and Hoot oh my goodness handee cap and also that gentleman cap. Also the synth evolved so much!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:00:08 »

Show Image

Oh my goodness spacebear and Hoot oh my goodness handee cap and also that gentleman cap. Also the synth evolved so much!

I think you're missing Waldo. hue.

Anyway

< START.Update5 >

A few people have raised concerns about the utility of this system.  I'd like to assure you that we're doing our best to make it work with a number of different stems.

Looking forward to sharing more with you all.

< END.Update 5 >

Offline dohbot

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:02:14 »
What do you mean? Where's Waldo?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:05:54 »

I thought it was a bit more obvious, my bad.

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:07:01 »

Show Image

I think you're missing Waldo. hue.

Anyway

< START.Update5 >

A few people have raised concerns about the utility of this system.  I'd like to assure you that we're doing our best to make it work with a number of different stems.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looking forward to sharing more with you all.

< END.Update 5 >

Ooh, this is some awesome news! :) Looking forward to more updates!

Offline dohbot

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:30:08 »

I thought it was a bit more obvious, my bad.

Show Image

Oh I did not see that at all! I'm really bad at where's Waldo and word searches.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 18:05:42 »

Show Image

mfw hoot mold

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 23:29:25 »

Show Image

muthafukin space bear and hoot... ermahgawd gimmeeeeeee
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #199 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:05:45 »
HOLY ****ING **** PLEASE TELL ME THE SPACE BEAR MOLD IS ALIVE

BINGE TAKE MY MONEY AND MY MAMMARIES PLEASE

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:07:29 by bcredbottle »