Author Topic: Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage  (Read 271813 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 19:38:28 »
If you really WANT stabilizers...they really aren't required.

Tape: No, don't bother, not designed for that, although some of the industrial 3M stuff is pretty rad.
Glue: Possibly, if you glue a solid pad. No crazy glue, it's crap. Gorilla or equal.
Drill: Yea, baby, just do it!

Really looking forward to seeing the arcade buttons in action!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 01:09:23 »
Ok, the palm key mod is completed and part 5 of my wiki is up! I also took the opportunity and install 2 more header pin pairs, for easy access to the spare thumbkey matrix spots, which is what I wired the arcade buttons to. I updated part 4 of the wiki with the latest photos, showing the new headers, correct diode orientation etc, to make it easy to follow.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 01:22:25 »
Hehe ok i don't want to hijack this thread. Apparently you guys are thinking of doublesided tape from Target when i was thinking of industrial grade stuff. We use this stuff in our production facility along with various types of adhesives. A piece of plastic attached to a circuit board using high grade double sided tape is a very fine choice. Trust me on this :-) we make products with 10 year warranties and go through rigorous testing. In any case i will just buy a few stabilizers and see. As i never saw one up close i just was not sure whether or not there would be enough surface area to attach a piece of tape.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 04:48:59 »
It seems these arcade buttons are best used in thumb or palm spots, not finger spots? Yes?

The button activation...how much movement, rock, sound does it make? Is it a positive activation? I like the reduction of pronation!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline sordna

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 12:19:45 »
They have 3mm travel, with activation half way. Need about 50grams of force for activation and 90grams to bottom out. They are mostly linear, except right after activation the force jumps because presumably you start bending the 2nd leaf or whataver it is inside the switch.
They are arcade buttons, so suitable to hit with any finger! I dig them and it's an easy mod, I'll probably mod my work keyboard and add just 2 arcade buttons and nothing else, since it's my easiest key addition to date!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 12:47:25 »
Arcade button as Kinesis palm key=ridiculously insightful. A++

After a month of use, I'll want to know feedback on possible ideal button size, fine tuned placement, any other thoughts. This may be an "ergo-changer" of the "thumb cluster" magnitude.

Your thoughts of arcade buttons for mouse buttons? (not at palm location)

Offline sordna

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 13:19:33 »
You know we've been discussing palm keys for ages, and I have been thinking how to mount cherry switches in the palm area, but then I got the button idea from this guy, who used (smaller) arcade buttons for mouse buttons:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17582-My-Kinesis-Keyboard-mod
I think they will work fine for mouse buttons, just bear in mind they don't click. There are many sizes and colors to choose from!

Do you know if there exist any table top or stick-on surface buttons? That would be ideal for someone who doesn't want to mod the keyboard; they could just stick buttons in the palm area, and hook them up to the RJ11 footswitch connector.

EDIT: Found some at PI Engineering for their X-Keys USB switch interface, like this "Buddy Button" or the other shapes and sizes they have.

They are outrageously expensive though, like $59-$79 or more per button! Compare to $2 - $5 for arcade buttons.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2012, 18:14:15 by sordna »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 01:35:29 »
I've spoken with Pi quite a number of times regarding their oem Ymouse pcb and licensing. I noticed at that time with some of their items, they are priced at government rates. :( Disappointing. Find a China unit :)

I need to get some of your style arcade buttons soon. It's a Kinesis-mod breakthrough :)

This is a big deal.

Offline sordna

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 02:01:55 »
I'm loving these buttons and the placement too. They actually make the keyboard more comfortable! For science, you can try a different brand. Go to Amazon and search for Sanwa buttons, some even have prime 2-day shipping! Note the Sanwa's are about 1cm longer, so you will probably have to bend their leads, I think whatchamccallum has done the same:

Offline sordna

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 12:29:43 »
Oh dear, I'm getting the crazy idea to add 2 more arcade buttons, next to the ones I put already. Must resist!

Offline sordna

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 03:18:14 »
Here is my other LF, just added arcade buttons to it as well. Did it completely solderless and it took less than 30 minutes total, highly recommended mod! Left button goes to FS1 (shift), right button goes to FS2 (momentary keypad access). No other mods on this keyboard. From now on if I'm only adding 1 pair of keys to a contoured keyboard it's gonna be palm keys, they are simply AWESOME !

EDIT: Here is a gimped photo, with placement ideas for multiple arcade buttons. I wouldn't put so many of course, but up to 4 total is reasonable, and it's way easier than adding cherry switches. Thoughts? Ideas?
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 12:31:40 by sordna »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 22:05:57 »
Quote from: sordna;540897
EDIT: Here is a gimped photo, with placement ideas for multiple arcade buttons. I wouldn't put so many of course, but up to 4 total is reasonable, and it's way easier than adding cherry switches. Thoughts? Ideas?
(Attachment Link) 43472[/ATTACH]

First thought? Looks like a spider with eyes all over its head :) Too lazy to web search a good pic though :(

Even though I have not done this mod myself, I believe the palm actuated arcade buttons are a major ergo game changer. The finger/thumb arcade buttons can be great for non-oft used/farther away buttons, which is also great for an easy target to hit, but I think the couple palm buttons for oft-used buttons (ex: SHIFT) are huge. Taking away pinky work and not wasting the precious thumb keys. Excellent. This is almost exclusively a Kinesis only "feature" due to the unique case design.

MODS THAT PROVIDE MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS TO THE KINESIS DESIGN:
1-Integrated pointing device (by far the single largest ergo improvement, HANDS DOWN!!!)
2-Split into two halves (increases comfort)
3-Palm arcade buttons (major ergo feature for oft-used buttons)
4-F-keys as mechanical switches (allows for real touchtyping and increases convenience)
5-All other mods add a fraction of what the above mentioned items do to the overall functionality and design of the Kinesis keyboard. (My opinion)

Offline sordna

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 22:59:26 »
Pointing device. Yes, I now have wired the right palm key on both my LFs for keypad and with mouskeys I can do one-handed mousing. I find myself using it a lot more than if I had to hold down one of the kshifts with my pinky.

I must say I am very intrigued by the micro joystick uberben mentioned here.
Other small joysticks are a possibility as well.

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2012, 23:05:03 by sordna »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 01:49:57 »
Quote from: sordna;541963
Pointing device. Yes, I now have wired the right palm key on both my LFs for keypad and with mouskeys I can do one-handed mousing. I find myself using it a lot more than if I had to hold down one of the kshifts with my pinky.

I must say I am very intrigued by the micro joystick uberben mentioned here.
Other small joysticks are a possibility as well.

Great work on the one handed mousing combo you came up with. I'll copy your mod and compare :)

The other options from Uberben are intriguing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2012, 11:10:44 by input nirvana »

Offline Dox

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 08:43:37 »
A blackberry trackball could be something to consider too.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43529[/ATTACH]
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 16:55:25 »
Quote from: Dox;542161
A blackberry trackball could be something to consider too.
(Attachment Link) 43529[/ATTACH]

The problem with trackballs is that you need space for the mechanics while trackpoints can basically be at the end of a long ..uh...stilt. So you can place them in-between the keys. I have yet to do it. Damn.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline sordna

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 18:21:50 »
Here's my work keyboard, with palm keys being the only modification:

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 12:32:24 by sordna »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 20:28:58 »
Looks so nice and clean! Extremely nice. I wrote what I thought about it on Deskthority and I'm too lazy to re-type.

Offline sordna

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 20:50:57 »
It is very clean and natural feeling. It could as well be a regular model from the factory as far as I'm concerned. My pinkies are extremely relieved by this mod.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 22:12:32 »
I'm clicking on this thread title when it's in the right column...and I'm being blocked, but when I go into the Modifications subforum I have access to this thread. That's what happens with my wiki too....but you didn't change the name of your wiki article....

Offline sordna

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 00:11:02 »
Yeah, i get the same problem :-( Not only that, I no longer have access to add attachments to the article, and I no longer see the Protection controls either.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 00:39:19 »
Well now I know it's not because I changed the name of my wiki, and you know your wiki isn't the only one affected.

iiiiiiiiiiiMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAVV!!!!

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 02:21:33 »
So you're still loving the palm keys? I still haven't done that mod but I think I'm going to order the keys right now.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 02:35:58 »
I'm trying to add the pic Sordna posted of his work keyboard on my wiki, but it's not working well :(
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52001[/ATTACH]

Offline sordna

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 09:56:33 »
Quote from: Icarium;605379
So you're still loving the palm keys? I still haven't done that mod but I think I'm going to order the keys right now.

Loving is an understatement. These keys are an absolute necessity, I regret not having done it earlier. I would position them slightly closer to the edges of the keyboard though, see the main article for details.

Offline sordna

Re: Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 03:05:38 »
I just restored my article, finding and putting back all the images.
Enjoy and please share similar Kinesis mods of your own!

Offline jpd

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 11:17:12 »
A great article.  I describe how I added my extra keys at http://www.playagaingames.com/interesting/dvorak/modifications/, and I was please to see Sordna update his article with all the pictures as a response.  Good stuff.

Offline sordna

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 21:55:37 »
Thanks for motivating me to restore my article and welcome to Geekhack !
I can see from your nice web page that we are both Advantage LF users, on Dvorak, and with extra keys added !!!
Surprising you haven't joined GH earlier. It's a great site, I like the Ergonomics as well as the Mods (Making stuff together) sections the most.
Have fun and keep in touch!
Here's another valuable Kinesis-related article by Input Nirvana, with TONS of good info:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=8110.0

Hopefully he will restore some of his photos... I N, are you listening ?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 03:26:30 »
Hats off to the 2 added keys, Jpd. Those were the only 2 I added so far. We'd like to hear your longer term thoughts (60-90 days) as a form of critique and/or additional ideas.

My heavily modded split Kinesis is packed and I won't be able to assemble till the end of the year it seems.

As far as the wiki article...Soarer copied the pics before the rootworm incident, and emailed me the pics...so I can restore the article. When I do, I'll clean it up and make it a proper article rather than the 'thinking out loud' rambling mess that it is. I'm not sure when I can do this.

Offline uberben

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 15:43:14 »
As far as the wiki article...Soarer copied the pics before the rootworm incident, and emailed me the pics...so I can restore the article. When I do, I'll clean it up and make it a proper article rather than the 'thinking out loud' rambling mess that it is. I'm not sure when I can do this.

Share the burden! That article was is a huge inspiration and I'm sure many of us want to see it restored. Why don't you post the pictures publicly somewhere (Dropbox? Imgur? Flickr?) and grant some of us access to help you restore it and clean it up?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 16:53:14 »
Yes...I'll see about doing that. There is some very hard to find information in that wiki. Peeps need to see it. Took a looooong time to figure out some of that stuff.

I tried to change a font in the Everything Kinesis wiki just now, and it won't allow the change. I'll need to pm somebody to ask about that, then open it up so you guys can add/delete/edit accordingly.

Something that I really liked hearing was Sordna offering his longer term assessment of the palm keys. It's one thing to hear a positive review after a few weeks, quite another after a couple months when the honeymoon is over. I only wish I had the time, or at least one other person had done it by now to get the second "hit"...I think this provides valuable validation. I was speaking with Kinesis a couple months ago about a couple design items of theirs and the palm key idea I think is one of the two (also the integrated track point idea) almost revolutionary ideas to a Kinesis keyboard.

Offline kps

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 18:58:39 »
I'm in the process of modifying a keyboard to use 1u keys on the outside columns, plus an extra switch in the corner. I used a nibbler to expand the hole in the plastic frame inward, and to make the new hole, and cut-and-pasted the PCB as shown below. The intended caps are sphericals from Round 4, and I thought I'd post this now since that group buy is finally closing at the end of this week.
3490-0
3492-1
3494-2

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:01:33 »
I had never thought about making the outside column key caps smaller and closer. Interesting.

The key caps you are eliminating are DCS 1 and DCS 3 both 1.25x. They would be replaced with the same key caps but in a 1x width. You may have just figured out a partial solution to the difficult key caps procurement problem :)

I'm not sure there is a viable reason the outside columns need to be 1.25x key caps.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:26:56 by input nirvana »

Offline sordna

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:53:04 »
My guess is the outer keys are wider so they are easier to hit, since the pinkies have to jump to get to those columns.

About the palm keys: Honeymoon is over, till death do us part is where it's at. Having them on both home and work keyboards I can testify:

They are wonderful. They are a necessity. They blow footswitches and extra pinky keys out of the water.

This is my work keyboard by the way, note this was a solderless mod that took under 30 minutes.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:57:49 »
About the palm keys: Honeymoon is over, till death do us part is where it's at. Having them on both home and work keyboards I can testify:

They are wonderful. They are a necessity. They blow footswitches and extra pinky keys out of the water.

I'll take that to the bank.

Offline kps

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 08:43:45 »
The key caps you are eliminating are DCS 1 and DCS 3 both 1.25x. They would be replaced with the same key caps but in a 1x width.
I'm taking a bit of a gamble with the Round 4 sets, since the profiles are not all the same as the stock Kinesis, but I do want spherical caps if it's at all practical. My hope is that it will work out since the differences in cap heights (a millimeter or two) are small compared to the variation in sizes of hands that are able to use the stock board comfortably.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:39:10 »
Interesting point about the key cap differences and hand sizes...

I'm looking forward to this. Maybe you take a few more pics of the process (or you already may have) and put a short wiki on it? I'd like to incorporate the mod into my wiki as well. It's more valuable than at first glance, as my split Kinesis may be eventually caseless. It will still have the palmrests and the palm keys.

Offline kps

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 10:26:02 »
Yes, eventually. The next visually interesting step will probably come after the R4 keycaps arrive, which is still months away.

Offline sordna

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 00:22:03 »
Custom maltron with palm rests acting as palm keys!!!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=28162.msg749462#msg749462

Offline dn

• Got Wood? Fabricator / Designer Extraordinaire
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:04:41 »
I love my Dremel 4000 like a father would love his child.
7G owner :)

PS: I'm looking for a PBT blank full set for my 7G!

Offline sordna

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 19:21:15 »
I will attempt to add palm keys to the ErgoDox after I get it and put it together. Hopefully our orders will be fulfilled fast. I am eager to compare it to the Kinesis "bowls".

Offline sordna

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 19:22:50 »
I was happy to see that a Kinesis owner in Sweden (bjarven of Deskthority) did the palm key mod:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/adding-extra-keys-to-your-kinesis-advantage-t1872-30.html#p93735

Hope to see more of that!
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 19:24:53 by sordna »

Offline vatin

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 05:11:04 »
Thank you!!! Palm keys prove to be very useful!!!
I bought the switches off ebay.
Instead of connecting to the circuit board, I hardwired it by soldering both switches to the green and red foot switch wires. In doing so I have to cut the wires since I do not plan to use foot switches.  Both palm keys are permanently soldiered to act as keypad shift, no reprogrammable, because that's the only thing I want them to do.

Anyway the end result is satisfactory. I reprogrammed the function keys to the mechanical keys so I wouldn't have to touch the shameful rubber keys again (for a nearly 300 dollars keyboard).

OLKB Planck V6

Offline sordna

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 22:31:52 »
Cool! I'm noticing you placed them under the thumb clusters almost, do you push them with your thumb, or the palm ?  The position you chose seems like it would work for both.

Offline sordna

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:58:05 »
Another palm key mod posted here !

Offline vatin

Re: Re: Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:47:53 »
Cool! I'm noticing you placed them under the thumb clusters almost, do you push them with your thumb, or the palm ?  The position you chose seems like it would work for both.

I push them with my inner palm. However I have very small hands. Reduces hand movement. I put them there because it is easy to follow a guide drawn from the openings of the thumb cluster.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:52:55 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline sordna

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 10:26:16 »
I'm now wondering, has anyone put palm keys on the ErgoDox, or other keyboards besides the Kinesis Advantage ?

Offline sordna

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 01:28:35 »
Thanks to a couple of posts in other threads (here and here) I became aware of the HBFS-30 arcade buttons.
They seem to have only 20mm depth inside the case (better than the Seimitsu PS-15 at 21.3mm) AND they use Cherry MX switches that can be swapped !
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hbfs-30-the-all-new-arcade-button-with-cherry-mx-keyswitch

Now if they start selling them on Amazon how nice that would be.

Offline uberben

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 09:11:20 »
What kind of switches are in your Seimitsu switches? The switches I got (cheap no-name ones from AliExpress, 10 for $10 or something) have an imitation Alps switch. I have some spare MX browns, so I decided to try a key swap. I just shaved off about 1 mm from the long edge of the switch hole and the MX snapped right in. I also had to trim the stem of the button cap.

Before the swap, the depth of the switch (from the mounting surface to the bottom of the switch leads) was about 21.3 mm. After the swap, this distance is 15.0 mm. (The distance from the mounting surface to the top of the cap is about 7 mm, but I don't think that was included in your measurements.)

I was hoping that the snaps on the side of the cap would help stabilize it, but unfortunately the cap is still a bit wobbly. This could probably be fixed by transplanting a key stem, 3D printing one, or making a new one out of a moldable plastic or something. Perhaps I could even use hot glue.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:22:31 by uberben »

Offline kaltar

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 03:02:14 »
sad thing is that those HBFS-30 switches are not on sale anywhere :(

Besides the Seimitsu PS 15, does anybody knows of any other 30mm switch that has a small body to fit in the kinesis palm mod?