Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 117345 times)

Offline dante

Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 16:19:22 »
I stopped by Fry's today and as usual couldn't help but type on some boards.

The MX Reds in the Corsair are WAY smoother than what I had in my KUL or Ducky Zero.  Also the Thermaltake MX Black boards were equally smooth.

People can call McRip or whatever you like - I'm convinced somewhere in the order chain there must be either an option to order switches with extra lube OR both companies ordered a crapton of switches at a time when Cherry was doing a good job.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 20:30:22 »
I stopped by Fry's today and as usual couldn't help but type on some boards.

The MX Reds in the Corsair are WAY smoother than what I had in my KUL or Ducky Zero.  Also the Thermaltake MX Black boards were equally smooth.

People can call McRip or whatever you like - I'm convinced somewhere in the order chain there must be either an option to order switches with extra lube OR both companies ordered a crapton of switches at a time when Cherry was doing a good job.
You gotta figure those demo boards have probably been used extensively and have given the switches ample time to break in and naturally become smooth. The reds in my KUL feel very nice and smooth out of the box thankfully. I have found there's a lot of variance in "smoothness" in some stock keyboards these days, on the other hand, you're not the only person whose commented on how the reds in Corsair keyboards do feel very nice, so perhaps they did indeed get a nice batch of mx reds.  I can't really think of any other reason as to why their reds should feel drastically different than other manufactures. KUL owners, have any of you guys received one with a case littered with marks?  I can't figure out what caused them, but my new KUL has all these annoying marks around the case.  I'd be lying if I said it wasn't bothering me a little, but I'm not sure it's enough for me to want to go through the return process with Amazon.

Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:09:07 »
Those are some big marks... thankfully I do not have those but there is bit of coating wear-off type of scratches in some places.
It's not even noticeable (so much so that I couldn't even take a picture of it) but it's a mark I couldn't get out with some water and cloth. I've heard a few people complain about imperfections in the case, which is a shame because all other parts are really solid.
I'd say you might as well go through the return if you have Prime and stuff.

Now, regarding smoothness of MX reds, this is interesting you bring this up because I had thought the exact same, but with Filco MX reds vs KUL MX reds.
Filco seemed to have a slightly smoother red, but I thought it was mcrip as well.
I might be one of the few weird people that actually like a bit of "scratchy" feel to my switches than smooth, though.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:34:35 »
Those are some big marks... thankfully I do not have those but there is bit of coating wear-off type of scratches in some places.
It's not even noticeable (so much so that I couldn't even take a picture of it) but it's a mark I couldn't get out with some water and cloth. I've heard a few people complain about imperfections in the case, which is a shame because all other parts are really solid.

Now, regarding smoothness of MX reds, this is interesting you bring this up because I had thought the exact same, but with Filco MX reds vs KUL MX reds.
Filco seemed to have a slightly smoother red, but I thought it was mcrip as well.
I might be one of the few weird people that actually like a bit of "scratchy" feel to my switches than smooth, though.
Yeah, I'm really bummed about it, I might see if I can do an exchange through Amazon.  I try not to let these things bother me, but once you know they're there, it's like the first thing you see every time you look at the keyboard.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:45:57 »

Yeah, I'm really bummed about it, I might see if I can do an exchange through Amazon.  I try not to let these things bother me, but once you know they're there, it's like the first thing you see every time you look at the keyboard.

I personally have had nothing but positive experiences with returns through Amazon.  As long as you bought it from Amazon or a seller that had it fulfilled by Amazon then I wouldn't hesitate to return it.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #305 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:13:59 »
@Flyersfan1: Yes, I had a Kul that had some blemishes in the finish on the top of the case. I probably should have just returned it, but I did manage to sell it at a reduced price because of the imperfections in the finish. Now I have a WASD V2 87 Barebones mx browns that I am reasonably happy with (Cherry mx is not my favorite type of switch, but I like the abundant selection of keycaps).

Offline drewba

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 10:30:50 »
I bought a KUL ES-87 last night, mostly thanks to this thread. Thanks for the write up!

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 10:50:21 »
I bought a KUL ES-87 last night, mostly thanks to this thread. Thanks for the write up!
Hello to another Chicago newbie, and a KUL owner :)
Good choice. Which switches did you get?

Offline dante

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 11:07:33 »
You gotta figure those demo boards have probably been used extensively and have given the switches ample time to break in and naturally become smooth. The reds in my KUL feel very nice and smooth out of the box thankfully. I have found there's a lot of variance in "smoothness" in some stock keyboards these days, on the other hand, you're not the only person whose commented on how the reds in Corsair keyboards do feel very nice, so perhaps they did indeed get a nice batch of mx reds.  I can't really think of any other reason as to why their reds should feel drastically different than other manufactures.

I agree as a demo board it's going to be somewhat well used.  However, ALL the keys on the keyboard - including pause/break prtsc/sysrq, etc ... feel smooth.

My last word on this subject: If someone were building a keyboard project and wanted Vintage Blacks - send an email out to Corsair / Thermaltake and see if they have any banged up returns for sale cheap.  That might be a better way to go.

Offline drewba

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 11:32:44 »
Hi there  :)! Something something daaa bears, something something political corruption.

I got Browns. I was holding out for clears to come back in stock anywhere but after finally getting a key tester I think Browns are the switch for me.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 11:36:42 »
About vintage blacks -- they could also be harvested from Wyse terminal keyboards, which can be found on eBay.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:59:36 »
Hi there  :)! Something something daaa bears, something something political corruption.

I got Browns. I was holding out for clears to come back in stock anywhere but after finally getting a key tester I think Browns are the switch for me.
Haha  :D yet... a beautiful city nonetheless.
Cool, I just received my switch tester in the mail as well. I think my next switch will have to be the blacks, or some kind of modded blacks.

About vintage blacks -- they could also be harvested from Wyse terminal keyboards, which can be found on eBay.
Urg.. I want one!

Offline drewba

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 09:00:55 »
Cool, I just received my switch tester in the mail as well. I think my next switch will have to be the blacks, or some kind of modded blacks.

Cool, I like the feel of blacks. I just started reading about modding as well - ergo clears sound very interesting. I also can't wait to get my hands on a board with blues...maybe later when my wallet recovers from it's most recent beating ;D

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 07:24:02 »
The ones with MX blues are finally available on Mechanicalkeyboards.com and Elitekeyboards.com (smoke black edition).

Has anybody heard any news about the colored top covers? I don't want to pay international shipping twice...

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 18:53:14 »
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere, but from the looks of things on the KUL facebook the top panels will be available in February.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 21:14:50 »
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere, but from the looks of things on the KUL facebook the top panels will be available in February.
Show Image

Must've misses that.

I think I might get a red one, they look awesome.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 21:17:10 »
Their "smoke gray" edition is very cool, I'm sure the colored top cases will be nice too!  Will the top panels be available for purchase separately, or will they only come with new units?

nvm: just found the answer to my question on their facebook, they will be sold separately!  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 January 2015, 21:24:53 by Flyersfan1 »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 21:25:15 »
That's great!! :eek:

I dont think the white case would go well with my white blank keycaps, so I would go for red or blue, if I do.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #318 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 21:31:01 »

I dont think the white case would go well with my white blank keycaps, so I would go for red or blue, if I do.
Me too, I'm trying to think which would go best with the Round 4 PBT set I'm picking up from Ivan's GB.  I really like the look of the red since it kind of reminds me of that limited edition Filco.  It doesn't look quite as vibrant from that picture though.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 23:27:04 »

Me too, I'm trying to think which would go best with the Round 4 PBT set I'm picking up from Ivan's GB.  I really like the look of the red since it kind of reminds me of that limited edition Filco.  It doesn't look quite as vibrant from that picture though.
Show Image

Mm red would be a fresh change from my usual toned down colors! Red case + red switches KUL red edtion.. something something.
Hopefully they're made from better material than the abs(?) we have in the stock case.

Offline blazarcher

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:34:00 »
Great review! I have a question though, what are the MX clears like compared to the MX browns? Some people seem to complain that they feel too much like rubber domes. Coming from a longtime brown user, should I be worried about that if I transition to clears?
Filco Majestouch Ninja - Poker I

Offline jamster

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 02:07:32 »
Great review! I have a question though, what are the MX clears like compared to the MX browns? Some people seem to complain that they feel too much like rubber domes. Coming from a longtime brown user, should I be worried about that if I transition to clears?

I've been using a KUL with Clears for two or three weeks now. While I think that the solidity of the keyboard and the TKL form factor are great, I am less enamoured of the Clear switches. I am used to bottoming out on Buckling Spring, where it feel like there is a quick collapse in force needed after the "buckling point". With Clears, it takes a fair bit of force to get over the bump, and then even more force to complete the bottom out. The switches also have a very slight roughness to them. Clears feel nothing like rubber dome to me.

I'll be lubing the switches and swapping lighter springs but if I didn't have the luxury of a surplus of time, would be regretting getting MX switches. I've also tried other MX switches and prefer them even less: Blues are too light and high pitched, linear Reds and Browns just feel 'dead' to my fingers.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:59:18 »
Show Image

Woah those are really nice. I've been looking at a KUL board for a while now. These might just push me over the edge.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:10:15 »

I've been using a KUL with Clears for two or three weeks now. While I think that the solidity of the keyboard and the TKL form factor are great, I am less enamoured of the Clear switches. I am used to bottoming out on Buckling Spring, where it feel like there is a quick collapse in force needed after the "buckling point". With Clears, it takes a fair bit of force to get over the bump, and then even more force to complete the bottom out. The switches also have a very slight roughness to them. Clears feel nothing like rubber dome to me.

I'll be lubing the switches and swapping lighter springs but if I didn't have the luxury of a surplus of time, would be regretting getting MX switches. I've also tried other MX switches and prefer them even less: Blues are too light and high pitched, linear Reds and Browns just feel 'dead' to my fingers.
Ergo clears sound like they would be great for you. I'd recommend 62g or 65g.

Offline jabbon

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:39:48 »
wouldn't mind trying one of this KUL keyboards...does anyone know a european distributor?

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 17:24:49 »
wouldn't mind trying one of this KUL keyboards...does anyone know a european distributor?
KUL list mechanicalkeyboards.nl but they seem to be out of stock. They also hint at a future Spanish distributor if you care to wait.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 23:46:20 »
Show Image

If only those were aluminum! They sure look aluminum though lol.

Offline jamster

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 02:06:18 »

Yup, I'm going to put in 65s which I just received from ZealPC (great guy). Now waiting for a delivery of Krytox before attacking the board with (de)soldering tools.

When I bought the KUL I had no idea that the rabbit hole was going to be so deep!

Offline jabbon

« Reply #328 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 23:53:31 »
KUL list mechanicalkeyboards.nl but they seem to be out of stock. They also hint at a future Spanish distributor if you care to wait.

Wow! Thank you for the tip! I live in The Netherlands but I never heard of that site  :thumb:

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #329 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 23:56:05 »

Yup, I'm going to put in 65s which I just received from ZealPC (great guy). Now waiting for a delivery of Krytox before attacking the board with (de)soldering tools.

When I bought the KUL I had no idea that the rabbit hole was going to be so deep!
Yep! Zeal is awesome! Let us know how you like the modification when it's all said and done!  ;D

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 16:05:04 »

Wow! Thank you for the tip! I live in The Netherlands but I never heard of that site  :thumb:
FYI they just removed the "not in stock" mention from the page. That might just be because they overhauled their entire website but now we don't have any stock information anymore AFAICT. If you're looking to get one though you might want to email them and check.

Offline aref

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 17:38:31 »
Anyone tired an ES-87 with MX Blue switches? I see EK and Amazon are selling the KB in Smoke.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 19:24:21 »
Based on the reviews and watching several vids, I decided to pre-order one of these with clears from MK.com. Hopefully they will receive them on the 19th as stated.

Offline jamster

« Reply #333 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:28:52 »
Yep! Zeal is awesome! Let us know how you like the modification when it's all said and done!  ;D

So I've finally finished my Ergo Clear mod, using the 65g (Sprit?) springs from Zeal. I also lubed each switch with MechLube 2 and installed thin o-rings.

For me, it the lighter springs are a definite improvement. There is no longer such an irritating force ramp-up after the bump/actuation point and I can now bottom out more comfortably (to me, it feels weird not to bottom out when typing).

The lube has masked some of the original scratchiness which I felt in some of the switches. It does seem to have slightly toned down the tactile component of the keypress slightly.

I'm not such a big fan of the o-rings though, as the reduced key travel is noticeable. I might get used to it with a bit more time. The slightly muted noise of typing is welcome though. I'm too lazy to pull each cap and remove each o-ring. I've got a PBT set from Ivan on the way, so I'll try running those without o-rings instead.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:37:13 »
Mini x-post from What did you get in the mail today? thread.

The box

Side shot.

Top shot with Dolch (if you aren't bored of the Dolch colorway yet)

Overall, the fit of the top panel is nice. It's not a bright white as you expect with the name "Proton White" but rather a slight off white.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:42:13 »

Show Image

The box

Show Image

Side shot.

Show Image

Overall, the fit of the top panel is nice. It's not a bright white as you expect with the name "Proton White" but rather a slight off white.
Looks fantastic eyesmiles!

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #336 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:42:41 »

Show Image

The box

Show Image

Side shot.

Show Image

OKAY I NEED THIS. NOW.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #337 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:46:28 »
More

Show Image

The box

Show Image

Side shot.

Show Image

Oh cool thanks for the pic.
Truthfully I'm actually kind of disappointed, I thought this going to be something new and special from the announcements but basically it's just the white cover you can find on any white keyboard :/

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:50:15 »
More

Show Image

The box

Show Image

Side shot.

Show Image

Truthfully I'm actually kind of disappointed, I thought this going to be something new and special from the announcements but basically it's just the white cover you can find on any white keyboard :/

Well certainly an aluminum look/ entire casing would make me even more excited, that's true.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:50:37 »

I'd say so with regards to the white panel. One positive would be you get a contrast with the black on the side, but then again who looks at their keyboard from the side all the time. Since you don't see many blue or red, I'd say those panels would be the worth while grabs. The proton white really does remind me of the Filco white.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:52:33 »
Hnng so it's off-white like a white Flico, then. I was scared off by the "bright white" impression as you said, but that looks amazing.

AFSDFOIJ

You've pretty muched nailed it. Decided to reply to your message here instead of over at the other thread. It's really close to the Filco white.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 19:41:37 »
Its a shame they dont sell the bottom half of those cases as well. It would make for an excellent Phantom case!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 08:50:49 »
For anyone interested, MK.com has this keyboard back in stock.

Link

Mine is on the FedEx truck for delivery today.

Offline samsam

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:32:25 »
Hi guys just wanted to ad this to this awesome review..
Like many others i own more than one keyboard and i'm always on the go..
So i went looking for a solution that would allow fast hook up and disconnect my keyboard..

Take care..
107530-0

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 08:19:32 »
So i went looking for a solution that would allow fast hook up and disconnect my keyboard..

Take care..
(Attachment Link)

Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 08:30:39 »

Take care..
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for sharing  :thumb:

A quick search on ebay only gave me ~5€ cables.

Can you please send me the link to this 1€ one via PM?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 00:39:18 »

Take care..
(Attachment Link)

I use to do the same thing for my QFR.  Worked really well.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline samsam

« Reply #347 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 09:15:19 »
i forgot to mention where i got mine..

Mini USB 5 Pin female male right angle extension cable Adapter on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-USB-5-Pin-female-male-right-angle-extension-cable-Adapter/32228444781.html

lot's of sellers have this cable..This seller is ok...but his english is really bad.. so don't expect communication..
Just get your cable hahhaha..

@CommonCurt nice pick ;-)

Take care ...guys

Offline samsam

Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears .Help with the ping noise?
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:13:51 »
hi guys,

i have bin using my KUL ES-87 on and of for two months now. Switching up with my Leopold FC6600M (also with clears).

When i switch back to my Kul i notice the pinging noise and i which i could do something to minimise it..
i'm using thick pbt keycaps (from mass drop) and blue o-rings.

And still i hear that nasty ping noise..Also when i rub my hand over the keyboard it resonates.
i do like the board. so i do want to keep it..

Here a youtube vid i made..Trying to get the pinging noise to register from my smartphone camera..
hope that helps..

If some one has a solution that would help that would be awesome..don't know how to solder (yet).
i'm just a newbie in the world of mechanical keyboards..  :thumb:

Thanks guys..

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #349 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 16:30:55 »
Pinging is well-known around here. The easiest way to minimize is is to cut and place some rubber drawer/shelf liner in the bottom of the case. KUL has instructions posted on its website on how to remove the top case. Removing the PCB from the bottom should be a manner of undoing a couple more screws. Add the liner to the bottom half of the case, then reassemble the keyboard by following the process in reverse. That should effectively eliminate the pinging.