Author Topic: Recommendations for a good travel keyboard?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline poisonborz

Recommendations for a good travel keyboard?
« on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 10:33:18 »
I like to carry a keyboard around with my laptop - especially since it's a convertible, so when on a desk, it's easy to just flip the screen and use it with a keyboard and mouse. Do any of you know compact, easy to carry, but desktop-grade (no cramped laptop-style layouts) keyboards?

My preferences (optional, to keep the discussion generally useful): I like tenkeyless size for compactness, I use UK layout (large Enter) and a wireless/bluetooth option would be nice.

I had the Corsair K63 until now, which is great, but the keys fall out very easily (like, without force, even in bag) which makes it fragile to carry around - especially with its weight.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Recommendations for a good travel keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 12:36:54 »
I mean a TKL isn't that portable but who am i. I think the Tada68 is a good option.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/fully-assembled-keyboard/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-65-iso-layout

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 13:52:10 »
I use a Leopold FC660C as my main travel board and a Tada68 with 2nd gen Zealios 67g switches as my secondary travel board. I can recommend both of these boards without reservation.

Keychron Q6 w/ Zeal Clickiez | IBM Model F AT | Leopold FC660C | HHKB Type S

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 16:24:18 »
I have basically this keyboard which I use all the time when traveling, though I have a white version that I don't actually see there.  You really can't beat it for a compact, portable keyboard.

There's also a TKL version of the same basic design if you really want that.  Obviously it's going to be a bit larger than a 65%.  The TKL is also sold under the 'Havit' brand but it is literally the exact same keyboard.  Except I think the Havit is only available with the clicky switches and without bluetooth...

Offline poisonborz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 06:37:58 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 August 2019, 06:39:43 by poisonborz »

Offline geewiz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 07:34:10 »
I've been using a KBP V60 as my travel board for about a year now. It works so great that I actually feel bad for having ordered a wireless Vortex Tab75. Size and weight are fine. It can swap OS keys (using it with an iPad Pro) and comes with Apple replacement caps. I changed Caps Lock to Ctrl and left Ctrl to Fn via DIP switches. It has not one but two cursor blocks on the Fn layer and media controls. If it had BT, it would be perfect.

BTW, I later got a V80 for my desk and was severely disappointed that it had NONE of these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline donnghia

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 07:44:47 »
I've been using a KBP V60 as my travel board for about a year now. It works so great that I actually feel bad for having ordered a wireless Vortex Tab75. Size and weight are fine. It can swap OS keys (using it with an iPad Pro) and comes with Apple replacement caps. I changed Caps Lock to Ctrl and left Ctrl to Fn via DIP switches. It has not one but two cursor blocks on the Fn layer and media controls. If it had BT, it would be perfect.

BTW, I later got a V80 for my desk and was severely disappointed that it had NONE of these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which kpb v60 you have? i got the Matias Quiet Click !!! and it is GREAT for its price !

also have the hhkb bt, which I prefer, but may be just because of the Topre Hype

Offline phedd

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 08:07:37 »
What about the Majestouch?

I think for travelling the case is much more important than usual. Protecting the switches and everything.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 11:33:35 »
which kpb v60 you have? i got the Matias Quiet Click !!! and it is GREAT for its price !

I got one with Cherry Browns and even though I'm using more tactile switches at my desk, I'm pretty happy with them.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 11:35:09 »
I think for travelling the case is much more important than usual. Protecting the switches and everything.

If my naked iPad is protected enough inside my backback, I really don't have to worry about switches that are built for millions of key presses.

Offline phedd

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 14:52:02 »

If my naked iPad is protected enough inside my backback, I really don't have to worry about switches that are built for millions of key presses.

The iPad is solid so that's a really silly thing to compare with. It can probably take way more punishment than most keyboards.

I'm not talking about accidentally pressing the switches while in the bag, I'm talking about the keyboard moving around, the switches/caps possibly getting hit from the sides etc etc. The stems getting bent or whatever.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 15:42:12 »

The iPad is solid so that's a really silly thing to compare with. It can probably take way more punishment than most keyboards.

I'm not talking about accidentally pressing the switches while in the bag, I'm talking about the keyboard moving around, the switches/caps possibly getting hit from the sides etc etc. The stems getting bent or whatever.

Not really if you have a Tada68 you can just toss it in your bag and run with it and nothing would happen. Unless you have a lot of loose stuff in there the worst thing that could happen is that there would be scratches on the housing and key caps. But i don't see someone running with a lot of small stuff in there bag :rolleyes:.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline rxc92

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 16:26:20 »

Yeah no, that doesn't happen ever.

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 18:14:45 »

Not really if you have a Tada68 you can just toss it in your bag and run with it and nothing would happen. Unless you have a lot of loose stuff in there the worst thing that could happen is that there would be scratches on the housing and key caps. But i don't see someone running with a lot of small stuff in there bag :rolleyes:.

My Leopold I carry in my computer bag, when I travel with my Tada68 it's in the original box.

If you're traveling with anything you have to take at least moderately prudent precautions. No  matter what you choose to use as a travel keyboard you'll have to pack it well.
Keychron Q6 w/ Zeal Clickiez | IBM Model F AT | Leopold FC660C | HHKB Type S

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 18:42:55 »

My Leopold I carry in my computer bag, when I travel with my Tada68 it's in the original box.

If you're traveling with anything you have to take at least moderately prudent precautions. No  matter what you choose to use as a travel keyboard you'll have to pack it well.

I mean i get it you have to get at least something around it. But tbh if you just take it as a whole and put it in your backpack with out loose stuff in it not much to go wrong. But yeah i get the point. If i take my keyboard somewhere else i put it in a custom keyboard sleeve because i am scared of getting scratches on the aluminium housing.
current
Coming soon