Author Topic: E-White KBD8x Mkii - Photos + video + first impressions  (Read 35087 times)

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
E-White KBD8x Mkii - Photos + video + first impressions
« on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 09:23:39 »
E-White KBD8x Mkii mini-review

So like many people I was excited about the KBD8x Mkii board, especially with the newly offered e-white finish.
So I joined the group buy and proceeded to wait. And wait. Annnnd wait some more.

Then finally it arrived (the GB had delays, not by much) - to which I started my unboxing. (Video Here)

It started out with some pretty decent packaging (KBDfans has generally pretty good packaging/protection for their boards, so there were no surprises here)

225604-0

225606-1

They included bumpons and some of their stabilizers as well...

225608-2

And now for some glamour shots:

225610-3

225612-4

225614-5

225616-6

225618-7

225620-8

And now for the flaws:

225622-9

225624-10

225626-11

225628-12

225630-13

225632-14

225634-15

225636-16

And now with the plate and silencing pad installed:

225638-17

Overall -- it's an okay board. There are a lot of finish flaws over the board and in the brass, so the QC was not the best here.
This would be considered b-stock in any other group buy, but I guess this is considered acceptable to KBDfans.

Another thing that sucks is they forgot to include the o-rings with my silencing kit, so I'll have to reach out to them to get them to ship replacements that I'm sure will take 8 weeks to get to me, but that's life.

The board has some serious heft to it, and the brass has an interesting finish - it's very matte and doesn't pick up fingerprints very well.
The machining is crisp and overall very well done, there are some mild machine marks on the inside of the case, but once you have your board assembled, you'll never see it.
The e-white finish feels hard, so I hope it will be durable, even though the finish is very uneven in thickness in a lot of spots.
The fit of the case and the parts is very good, fairly tight tolerances, and the included screws are fairly good quality.
The plate is smooth, clean, well cut, and seems to have the clearance for the stabilizer wires which is nice. And it's plenty thick and rigid, which is also nice.
The PCB is thick, well constructed, the pads look good, there isn't any excess flux (ok by the USB-C connector there is but that's fine), my Windows 10 machine saw it right away and it all works.
The silencing pad is the described 3mm, and fits relatively well to the PCB. (Could have been a little better, but it's fine overall) - will do sound comparison once I build the board.
The color of the e-white is also very neutral thankfully and will look nice with various keycap sets (hopefully once Kuro/Shiro ships I'll be able to do a white on white comparison)

Am I happy with the board? 70-80%. For the money I was expecting a better finish to the exterior.
I've bought a lot of boards from them in the past with zero finish flaws (2xKBD75's, 1xKBD75r2, 2xTofus, 1xTada68 case) so I don't know what they were thinking.
I'm kind of bummed, but at the same time I really don't want to have to wait to send this back and get another replacement (if they'd even offer it).

Is the KBD8x Mkii in e-white worth the $300+? If you can accept some flaws, then sure. If you want a flawless board, maybe pick something else.

*Edit: I've since reached out to KBDfans to see what can be done. After talking to other recipients of the e-white board, theirs were in a lot better shape (theirs had only a couple electrode marks)

UPDATE:
After some back and forth, KBDFans has agreed to send me a replacement bottom half of the case (since it had the most flaws), as well as the o-rings for the silencing kit.
I still would have preferred a new board, but I decided to accept this offer. Stay tuned for it to arrive.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 09:06:21 by RobotRogue »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: E-White KBD8x Mkii - Photos + video + first impressions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:06:30 »
E-White KBD8x Mkii mini-review

So like many people I was excited about the KBD8x Mkii board, especially with the newly offered e-white finish.
So I joined the group buy and proceeded to wait. And wait. Annnnd wait some more.

Then finally it arrived (the GB had delays, not by much) - to which I started my unboxing. (Video Here)

It started out with some pretty decent packaging (KBDfans has generally pretty good packaging/protection for their boards, so there were no surprises here)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

They included bumpons and some of their stabilizers as well...

(Attachment Link)

And now for some glamour shots:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

And now for the flaws:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

And now with the plate and silencing pad installed:

(Attachment Link)

Overall -- it's an okay board. There are a lot of finish flaws over the board and in the brass, so the QC was not the best here.
This would be considered b-stock in any other group buy, but I guess this is considered acceptable to KBDfans.

Another thing that sucks is they forgot to include the o-rings with my silencing kit, so I'll have to reach out to them to get them to ship replacements that I'm sure will take 8 weeks to get to me, but that's life.

The board has some serious heft to it, and the brass has an interesting finish - it's very matte and doesn't pick up fingerprints very well.
The machining is crisp and overall very well done, there are some mild machine marks on the inside of the case, but once you have your board assembled, you'll never see it.
The e-white finish feels hard, so I hope it will be durable, even though the finish is very uneven in thickness in a lot of spots.
The fit of the case and the parts is very good, fairly tight tolerances, and the included screws are fairly good quality.
The color of the e-white is also very neutral thankfully and will look nice with various keycap sets (hopefully once Kuro/Shiro ships I'll be able to do a white on white comparison)

Am I happy with the board? 70%. For the money I was expecting better.
I've bought a lot of boards from them in the past with zero finish flaws (2xKBD75's, 1xKBD75r2, 2xTofus, 1xTada68 case) so I don't know what they were thinking.
I'm kind of bummed, but at the same time I really don't want to have to wait to send this back and get another replacement (if they'd even offer it).

Is the KBD8x Mkii in e-white worth the $300+? If you have low expectations, then sure. If you want a flawless board, maybe pick something else.

Woah, that board looks nice.

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 14:36:34 »
whats the opposite of stonks

Offline aleck

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 20:23:03 »
That thing looks so sexy.

Offline JerkChicken456

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 23:38:35 »
looks sweet! but yeah it does have quite a few marks.  If it was me i'd try to swap it out for another one.. 70-80% satisfaction is not acceptable imo

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 13:05:34 »
There are some worrying initial reports of QC issues on the 2 sets we know about so far. This post from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/cziep1/finally_got_my_space_themed_kbd8x/

suggests that there are some colouration issues on the E-White. If this is even an mk ii. Maybe the problems are confined to the E-White, which I understand is relatively tricky.

I'm hoping to get a KBD8x mkii extra, but with the gray anodization.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 23:20:17 »
The standards some people have towards their cases are crazy. I really couldn't care less about microscopic, unnoticeable flaws that will never be noticed in usage. If you're paying $400-500 for a custom then sure, but this?

Offline shansoft

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 21:42:48 »
The standards some people have towards their cases are crazy. I really couldn't care less about microscopic, unnoticeable flaws that will never be noticed in usage. If you're paying $400-500 for a custom then sure, but this?

Based on the OP's photo, the flaws are quite severe even for a $200 keyboard.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 06:06:50 »
All of the 'flaws', bar one, look like minute specks of dirt which can easily and instantly be wiped off (unless that's somehow too much to ask?). The only actual damage is the plastic chip.

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:42:57 »
"Looks Like" -- but they are chips. But you know, thanks for assuming.

Offline tonny950111

• valar morghulis valar dohaeris
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 14:10:47 »
I know the OEM of KBDfans very well, their QC is always a problem. For small amount of orders they may do a decent job, but for the GB like this scale, the quality can varies a lot.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 08:37:13 »
Did you get all issues sorted with kbdfans?
Replacement parts?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 08:02:10 »
Have you built the board? Cosmetic QC issues aside, how does it feel and sound?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards