Author Topic: [IC] Splitkb.com Kyria aluminum case  (Read 7744 times)

Offline chasernl

[IC] Splitkb.com Kyria aluminum case
« on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 05:15:53 »
Hi all! My name is Leonardo and I want to do my first group buy for a custom milled case for the Kyria from splitkb.com. I am in no way affiliated with splitkb.com.

I stumbled upon the aluminum milled IMK casing for the Corne keyboard. Because I like the Kyria layout more I want to create the same casing for this keyboard. I contacted a local company and they want to help prototyping the case and have given price estimates that seem reasonable starting from 50 units.

The current pricing for 50 units would be a little under 250 euro's per unit within taxes and could drop to 200 euro if more units are ordered. Please let me know if you are interested so I can determine if this is something that can be made.

I am based in the Netherlands and do not know what shipping would cost to i.e. the United States. More details will be worked out if there is enough interest.

Some questions answered based on reactions

can you post at least a render first? that way, people will consider to join it.

To be honest, I am unable to create this myself. However I have contacted a local company for milling the cases and they are willing to create to drawings and a prototype for the case. If the GB does fire because there is enough interest I will contact all participants to make sure all is created in a way that everybody wants.

IMK or to be more precise, imkulio, is the handle name of a designer...(I'm not going to ring them up and bother them at this point) It would literally be false advertising to state YOUR design as otherwise.

My choice as to name the IMK case is precisely because that case is created by /u/imkulio. I think that he deserves credit for the idea and creating a milled aluminum case with acrylic bottom is not something that is patented. However I do not want to take credit for ideas that someone else came up with - especially since I am new here. So thats why I put that in the name of the post.

Have you contacted the creator of the Kyria keyboard (Thomas Baart) about this?

Yes, I have contacted him and spoke about possibilities of collaboration on this project. For now no collaboration is taking place, I am doing this on my own because I would like such a case and prices for a single unit are to high (approximately 1000 euro).

Interest check form: https://forms.gle/Vs3QmYkHmPAZcRNK6

Kind regards,

Leonardo
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:41:06 by chasernl »

Offline Joaquox

Re: [IC] Splitkb.com Kyria aluminum case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 07:08:37 »
Good luck with this!

I got the IMK case for Corne and it's one of my favorites, can definitely see how this could be a really nice kit!

Offline cari66ean

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 08:16:35 »
Love my IMK Corne and like the Kyria a lot as well. I actually prefer the ability for of having the choice of 1x 2u or 2x 1u thumb keys and the possibility of having rotary encoders. The aggressive stagger on the Kyria is also cool.

The only thing I don't like about the (recent) Kyria revisions is the bowed top on the PCB compared to stepped top as in revision 0.2 or the Corne as seen here: https://thomasbaart.nl/2019/11/28/splitkb-com-and-the-kyria/

I think the IMK Corne turned out so cool precisely because the Corne PCB is cut so close to the switches, giving the case a thin profile:

With the Kyria this will probably not turn out so elegant in aluminum as opposed to acrylic layers with the bow and the extra space on top of the case, however I'm still curious to see how this might turn out. Maybe Thomas Baart would also offer to redo a PCB variant without the bow and accessible pins at the top?

One more thing I'd love to see (I wish the IMK Corne had this option!) is to make two variants for the case: one with 6 and also one with 5 columns (since the outer column just as with the Corne can be snapped off).
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2020, 09:58:42 by cari66ean »

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:54:15 »
Agreed with cari66ean. I like the stepped top. Personally, I'm not a fan of the acrylic Kyria case and how "round" it is. I like the sharper look of the IMK Corne in general.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 11:17:30 »
Always loved the look of the Kyria, and will probably be my first split board. The thought that a full alu build is possible is E X E L E N T E

Offline KeebKollector

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 17:39:10 »
Ive got a kyria build literally planned and in the works, just awaiting switches and looking for a case.

This would be perfect imo.

Def interested and will be keeping an eye on this.

Offline Mistah

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:29:23 »
If we could get this in an e-yellow that matches/gets close to GMK N6 or CV, it would be an insta-buy for me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:56:53 by Mistah »

Offline chasernl

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:42:10 »
Edited the post with some questions I received and also included a IC form

Offline eribabu

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 17:11:12 »
Out of curiosity, did this plan get COVID'd or was there not enough interest? MKUltra has been unable to solve their laser cutter issues so they won't be cutting any new cases for awhile. I am not aware of another Kyria case-builder in NA other than LittleKeyboards - unfortunately those are all sold out and out of my budget.

Looks like Thomas at SplitKB is having issues with logistics even in their home-continent, Kyria cases are on pre-order for now.

Offline KeebKollector

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 15:57:01 »
Out of curiosity, did this plan get COVID'd or was there not enough interest? MKUltra has been unable to solve their laser cutter issues so they won't be cutting any new cases for awhile. I am not aware of another Kyria case-builder in NA other than LittleKeyboards - unfortunately those are all sold out and out of my budget.

Looks like Thomas at SplitKB is having issues with logistics even in their home-continent, Kyria cases are on pre-order for now.

Yeah I'd like to know this as well.

The only reasonable option for me for a case past this GB is littlekeyboards which yeah is WAY out of my budget.