geekhack Community > Off Topic

How to make rice?

<< < (4/9) > >>

PlayBox:

--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Wed, 14 December 2022, 07:56:31 ---seeing all of this makes me feel like a caveman using a standard cooking pot to make my rice, but in the end my rice comes out perfectly as I want it.

--- End quote ---
cooking pot is the best ain't it. ialso make my rice in a cooking pot, never washing my rice either

tp4tissue:
NT, where are the rice updates,

we demands rice updates.

noisyturtle:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Wed, 14 December 2022, 21:50:31 ---NT, where are the rice updates,

we demands rice updates.

Show Image

--- End quote ---

Too sad from all the failure, gonna try again when I have a chance to get some better rice. Plus I still have a little congealed glutenous mass left from last time.
Thinking 3 Ladies, or Kokuho rice this weekend

tp4tissue:
Rice update NT,  where are we ?

when you're at the rice store, get some asian pickled vegetables as well. they go great with h0t rice

korrelate:
Probably amounts to the same thing, but you could be making one of two mistakes:
A. using the wrong cup (the green one is for white rice, I think - the one we have is green) - this would lead you, perhaps to using too little rice for the same amount water. Basically the same as saying "too much water" but you got there a different way.
B. Too much water: i.e. you're not using the correct fill line on the inside of the bowl.

Kind of weird that it came out as a gooey blob. Maybe you're using pre-cooked/instant rice. Don't want that. TBH before I got married I had never seen uncooked "real" rice before. This may be your issue.

1. Zojirushi is top shelf for rice cookers. Good pick.
2. I'm inclined to agree that it's probably the rice. "Uncle Ben's" or any other kind of "instant" rice is not going to work well in this cooker.
3. We've used Kokuho Rose rice and loved it. I think you can actually get it at Costco. Works very well in "real" rice cookers.
4. If you have Asian grocery stores in your area (many korean and vietnamese restaurants have a small grocery store attached to the restuarant) buy it there. If they have a reasonable amount of store traffic the rice won't spend much time sitting on the shelf.
5. Pay attention to cups: the included cup is NOT a standard US "cup."
6. Watch the fill line on the inside of the bowl: there's a different line for different types of rice. You want to be sure that you're using the "White Rice" fill line: 1 green zojirushi cup corresponds to the number 1 on the fill line. 2 green zojirushi cups corresponds to 2, etc.

Zoji's Neuro-Fuzzy are pretty damn good, don't get me wrong, but the next step up is the bomb: Zoji's pressure-coking rice cookers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088FZXZHY/ref=sbl_dpx_kitchen-electric-cookware_B00007J5U7_0

These make the best damn rice I've ever had. Going out to eat is damn near always a step down from this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version