Author Topic: Whats crackin, geekhack?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Dethpirate

Whats crackin, geekhack?
« on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 20:00:08 »
Hey there! You all sound so knowledgeable about mechanical keyboards! I'm a PC gamer who uses a $15 microsoft keyboard, and I have always been happy with it. Despite being what I would consider a computer nerd, I had never heard of mechanical keyboards, until my roommate purchased one last week. Like a fool, I wasted a good 10 minutes, making fun of him for spending $150 on a keyboard. But then a few days later, he let me use it and play a few games of Battlefield 3 with it. I took back everything I said, because the keyboard makes such a difference in gameplay! I'm still shocked over it!

So I have been doing a bunch of research online, because my wallet is rather empty right now, and there's no way I can spend $150 on a keyboard. I understand the difference between the blue, brown and black switches in mechanical keyboards. But the keyboard my roomate purchased (Blackhawk x9http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x9-red-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html) has red switches. Can anyone explain to me what makes red switches different, please? I'm a little confused, and I'm debating if I should try settling with a cheaper Razer Blackwidow instead. I dont want a very loud keyboard, but I havent tried any other mechanicals, besides the x9. Personally, I LOVE the feel of this keyboard, I guess I am just trying to justify the thought of spending that much on one!

Sorry if this is something that comes up a lot. I couldn't find many threads about it, so I thought I'd give this a shot :) Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2012, 20:09:41 by Dethpirate »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Whats crackin, geekhack?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 20:34:18 »
Reds are a lighter version of Blacks. They are both linear switches.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 00:12:32 »
If you already know you love the red switches then I suggest buying a keyboard with the same switches.

Here are a few less expensive keyboards that use Cherry red switches:

Leopold
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/

CoolerMaster
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129006

Corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816001

The Leopold is supposed to be a very good quality keyboard. I don't know about the others (people say the CM feels cheaper). Good luck with your decision!
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 00:47:44 »
I would avoid the blackwidow if possible. I have one and like it fine, no problems yet, but many people have problems with theirs. So I would go with something a different if I were in your shoes  :p

Edit: And if you don't want a loud keyboard, don't get a blackwidow. As far as I know it only comes in MX Blues, which definitely don't fit that description.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 00:49:32 by BoxWithADot »

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 01:14:06 »
Reds are the lightest of the switches. And it lacks the tactility which you'd find on brown/blue switches and on rubber domes.

Burz has a good list of keyboards. I'd recommend CoolerMaster/Rosewill.

Welcome = )
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Rafen

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 07:31:42 »
I would go with the Cooler Master keyboard with red switches. I have never tried reds but from what everyone says they are amazing. The Cooler Master board is cheaper and has amazing build quality only down side is the ugly logos. But I actually read on here somewhere that the logos are being removed in the newer versions so you might be in luck.

Welcome to GH. Have fun being broke. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:42:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Mind you wallet - there are many keyboard-related temptations and it might never fill again ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 13:33:36 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 14:01:17 »
Don't get a black widow, get a CM storm because they are cheap and better quality.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |