Author Topic: Recommendations for Phantom Build  (Read 1402 times)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Recommendations for Phantom Build
« on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 05:40:49 »
Hey all

I plan on building a Phantom somewhere down the line (within the year, hopefully :D) and I was wondering if you guys could help me check if all of my parts are compatible with each other.

Here are the parts I (hopefully) will be using:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KAce0HEK-j7YVKhXSp72XnqouiLE-I4f_jyQF9BDvQs/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see I intend to to use three switches: Gateron Greens (for everything that isn't the alphanumeric keys, enter key or the space bar), Gateron Yellows with 62g springs (for the alphanumeric keys, enter key and space bar) and Gateron Clears for the arrow keys.

Unfortunately MK.com does not have the Phantom Kit in stock, and after I contacted them, they said that they had no ETA on it. So it seems that I will have to buy the parts individually. I want to buy as many parts as possible through EBay, as after you factor shipping to my country, it's cheaper to buy it through there. If there's a good Massdrop drop for similar parts at the time I'm buying everything, I will probably buy from that.

So yeah, feel free to criticise my choices and mistakes, I am new to this.

Thanks in advance ;)
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Recommendations for Phantom Build
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 06:22:43 »
Unless you really like the acrylic case, you could buy a second hand Filco TKL and use its case.

Other than that, you're 100% good to go.

Watch this YouTube guide beforehand, especially the bit about soldering the Teensy on the PCB.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 06:40:00 »
I had a look on eBay and there aren't any TKL Filco's in my area. If one does crop up when I'm building it, I'll get that instead of the acrylic one.

And thanks for the video :)
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 06:47:00 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70723.0

That's another option for part of your stuff. Not sure if it would work out cheaper with shipping etc.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 07:10:26 »
Thanks a ton for that. It might be a bit cheaper, who knows. Hopefully the stuff I need will still be available when I have the money :P